void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL June Top 8/Round 3

"Back from Extinction

Abu Ja'far, taken from cardsrealm, by Ken Meyer Jr. and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Nostalgia Month here in the CCL - time to dig deep into the past...

Challenge
Design a creature card with an obsolete creature type. This means a type that was at one point printed on a creature card but is no longer present in the Magic Comprehensive Rules.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • All of the obsolete types can be found here.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Friday, June 25th, 23:59 EST.
Contestants:
@Subject16
@Ink-Treader
@slimytrout
@Venedrex
@netn10
@bravelion83
@RaikouRider
@kwanyeegor-ii

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (May 31st-June 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (June 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due June 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (June 22nd–25th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due June 27th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (June 28th–July 1st)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due July 3rd)
  • Final (July, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Harbor Merchant 3UU
Creature — Human Merchant (R)
When Harbor Merchant enters the battlefield, you may exchange control of target artifact or creature you control and target artifact or creature an opponent controls. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
Harbor Merchant gets +1/+1 for each permanent you control but don't own.
"Giving and taking, supply and demand. That's all you need to know to be a good merchant."
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Mad Scientist 1BB
Creature – Human Alchemist (U)
T, Discard a card: Create a Food token if the discarded card was a creature card. Otherwise, create a Treasure token: (Food is an artifact with "2, T, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life." Treasure is an artifact with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.")
Madness BB (If you discard this card, discard it into exile. When you do, cast it for its madness cost or put it into your graveyard.)
2/2
Last edited by Subject16 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Azorius-Orzov Bureaucrat WUB
Creature - Spirit Bureaucrat (Rare)
Spells cost 1 and 2 life more to cast.
"The two guilds collaborates in tandem to say to you this: no."
2/2

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Fool's Lantern UB
Creature - Will-O'-The-Wisp Illusion(U)
Flying
Your opponent's must attack you or a planeswalker you control with at least one creature each turn if able.
Whenever Fool's Lantern blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, sacrifice Fool's Lantern and destroy each creature blocking or blocked by Fool's Lantern.
A light in the darkness doesn't always lead out.
0/1

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Acolyte of Anafenza 2W
Creature - Human Guardian (U)
Vigilance
W, T: Acolyte of Anafenza safeguards target non-Dragon creature. (The next time damage would be dealt to that creature this turn, that damage is dealt to Acolyte of Anafenza instead.)
2/4

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Behemoth Wrangler 2RG
Creature - Elf Rider {R}
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have target creature an opponent controls deals damage to Behemoth Wrangler equal to its power. Then if Behemoth Wrangler is still on the battlefield, gain control of that creature until end of turn, untap that creature, and it gains haste until end of turn.
3/4
Last edited by RaikouRider 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Tricksy Brownie
Creature — Brownie (R)
If an opponent would tap an artifact for mana, that player adds one mana of any color chosen at random instead.
1/1
The smallest changes can wreak havoc.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Wrecker Sloop 2R
Creature - Ship (Uncommon)
Islandwalk, haste
Wrecker Sloop can't attack unless you sacrifice an artifact.
Whenever a non-Treasure artifact is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, create X Treasure tokens, where X is half that artifact's mana value, rounded up.
4/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And it looks like everyone has entered. Please critique everyone else and provide a top 3.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Pretty good -- give them a Treasure, take their best creature permanently, and it comes with a 3/3 on top. Solid card, but I guess my one complaint is that it doesn't feel *quite* like a merchant, since you're not actually giving them any choices. But that's a minor quibble, and certainly I like the fact that it wouldn't feel good as an existing creature type.
Subject16
Show
Hide
First off, I promise I won't hold a grudge for the fact that you took the type I was planning to use ;) . Solid in a madness deck, but certainly not pushed -- neither a Food nor a Treasure is anywhere close to being worth a card, so you'd better be getting value from discarding cards for this to be even playable. Feels like a fun alchemist idea though, and definitely is better as an alchemist than any existing type.
netn10
Show
Hide
Feels bureaucratic for sure, but I don't love the card flavor -- it's pretty heavy-handed (two guild names, then the creature type), and it isn't really explained why it makes sense. Also not totally sure why it couldn't just be an advisor rather than a bureaucrat. But the card definitely works, even if it would be a bit oppressive.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Fun little removal spell with a slight delay. I like it a lot, and it definitely captures a Will-o'-the-Wisp.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
An appropriate choice of creature type. Another very flavorful entry -- the one thing I'd say is that I'd like it better if it was "up to one" instead of "may" so that it would have a little more downside risk if your opponent has burn or a pump spell and could blow you out.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Fun idea, but just doesn't do enough. Also definitely doesn't feel rare.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
A little *too* flavorful, honestly -- there's not much need to be giving things islandwalk in this day and age. Also feels like a Ship should be a Vehicle at this point, but I am sympathetic to the fact that a lot of the low-hanging fruit had already been claimed.
T3
Show
Hide
Lot of strong entries -- had to use some very minor complaints as tiebreakers.
1. Ink-Treader
2. RaikouRider
3. Subject16

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Mad Scientist 1BB
Creature – Human Alchemist (U)
T, Discard a card: Create a Food token if the discarded card was a creature card. Otherwise, create a Treasure token: (Food is an artifact with "2, T, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life." Treasure is an artifact with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.")
Madness BB (If you discard this card, discard it into exile. When you do, cast it for its madness cost or put it into your graveyard.)
2/2
I'm not sure if a Food or Treasure is worth a card. It also doesn't feel like an alchemist to me, more like a cook cooking creatures or a jeweler melting metals into golden treasure. I like that this is a madness enabler that has madness itself. My inner Mel is pleased.
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Azorius-Orzov Bureaucrat WUB
Creature - Spirit Bureaucrat (Rare)
Spells cost 1 and 2 life more to cast.
"The two guilds collaborates in tandem to say to you this: no."
2/2
The first time I read it as if it were "less", it would be more intuitive but it would also be a completely different card. I don't like that this is symmetric, I would have liked it much more if it were "spells your opponents cast cost more", and it would have also been more intuitive in my opinion. Also, "Orzhov" is spelled wrong and the flavor text reads like that of a counterspell to me, which this card is not.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Fool's Lantern UB
Creature - Will-O'-The-Wisp Illusion(U)
Flying
Your opponent's must attack you or a planeswalker you control with at least one creature each turn if able.
Whenever Fool's Lantern blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, sacrifice Fool's Lantern and destroy each creature blocking or blocked by Fool's Lantern.
A light in the darkness doesn't always lead out.
0/1
I wonder if there is a reason why this is not just a 1/1 with deathtouch instead of the last ability. I don't see the practical difference between a 0/1 with "when this blocks or becomes blocked, destroy it and all creatures blocking it or blocked by it " and a 1/1 deathtouch. Yes, one is triggered ability that triggers in the declare blockers step and the other a static ability that works in the combat damage step, but that's just a technicality. The deathtouch version would have been much more elegant and intuitive in my opinion.
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Acolyte of Anafenza 2W
Creature - Human Guardian (U)
Vigilance
W, T: Acolyte of Anafenza safeguards target non-Dragon creature. (The next time damage would be dealt to that creature this turn, that damage is dealt to Acolyte of Anafenza instead.)
2/4
This card is fine and I like it, I just don't see the need to keyword this particular ability, it's not used often enough in my opinion. The reminder text could have just been the actual rules text.
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Behemoth Wrangler 2RG
Creature - Elf Rider {R}
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have target creature an opponent controls deals damage to Behemoth Wrangler equal to its power. Then if Behemoth Wrangler is still on the battlefield, gain control of that creature until end of turn, untap that creature, and it gains haste until end of turn.
3/4
Enrage meets Act of Treason, only that the creature you steal has damage already marked on it, but if it gets more combat damage and dies in combat it's only good for you. I'm not a fan of Act of Treason effect, and that's to use a euphemism. I really dislike them, my opponent stealing my creature and attacking me with it enrages me if you excuse the pun. But that's just me.
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Tricksy Brownie
Creature — Brownie (R)
If an opponent would tap an artifact for mana, that player adds one mana of any color chosen at random instead.
1/1
The smallest changes can wreak havoc.
I think this card should be red. It's true that not all random effects are automatically red, but this does feel red to me, also because its effects depends on what the opponent does. Also, this card feels narrow to me, what it essentially does is maybe change the color of mana to a color your opponent doesn't play, but then they can just use it as generic mana.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Wrecker Sloop 2R
Creature - Ship (Uncommon)
Islandwalk, haste
Wrecker Sloop can't attack unless you sacrifice an artifact.
Whenever a non-Treasure artifact is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, create X Treasure tokens, where X is half that artifact's mana value, rounded up.
4/3
Today this would certainly be a Vehicle, but if it has to be a creature, that's fine. Landwalk is not currently supported, but it's really flavorful here, a ship moving freely on water. The easiest thing to do with the last ability is probably sacrificing Clue or Food tokens to get Treasures. Maybe it should say "whenever a nontoken non-Treasure artifact..."?
Top 3

1st place: slimytrout
2nd place: Subject16
3rd place: kwanyeegor-ii
Last edited by bravelion83 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
Pretty cute package. I also like that it suggests what to pair with it via its own madness.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Nice and simple effect, and safeguard seems like something that can have enough presence to be worth keywording.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Wording needs a change "If an opponent would add one or mana from at artifact source,". That aside, this is an interesting way to interfere with mana rocks without outright crippling their use. It's also kind of annoying, since you have to randomly choose between five colors, and 5 sided dice are a rare novelty at best.
netn10
Show
Hide
Not too hefty a cost increase, but it certainly adds up. Helps that it effects everyone, but in colors that allows its owner to deal with it.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Simple and flavorful. Would be decent enough even without the extra P/T from controlling permanents you don't own.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Ironically pretty terrible at wrangling Naya's 5+ power thematic creatures. Amusingly very good at wrangling many of its fellow Elves.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
This could probably be rare, but uncommon still feels reasonable. Certainly a fun card for a sac heavy artifact deck.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. slimytrout

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Top 3.

1. Ink-Treader
2. Bravelion83
3 RaikouRider
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Bravelion83: Flavor homerun and a good rate for this, too. My only nitpick is you should probably only be able to give away "another" artifact or creature you control.

Subject16: This certainly qualifies as an alchemist. Probably overcosted by one mana on both sides, though.

netn10: They will make sure you file documents 136(iv) and 22-C and -D in triplicate! This one really made me smile, even though I normally dislike stax cards.

Ink-Treader: I'm surprised nothing similar to this card's second ability exists yet. Props for uniqueness, and it fits the type.

slimytrout: Safeguard sounds like a keyword action for the retired creature type. Reminds me of flagbearers in a way. Seems like a high pick in limited but won't make any waves in constructed.

Venedrex: I get the idea you were going for, but this doesn't work as written. As written, this prevents the artifact crom being tapped, making all mana stones produce infinite mana. The solution isn't elegant either, but functionality is what's most important. "If tapping an artifact for mana would cause an opponent to add mana" is the best phraing I can think of.

kwanyeegor-ii: Almost feels like this should be a Pirate. Almost. Breya would love a creature like this. Perhaps the treasures should enter tapped? This can potentially make a lot of mana with certain artifact creatures such as Metalwork Colossus.

So many strong submissions. Picking 3 was really hard.

1) bravelion83
2) netn10
3) Ink-Treader

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to leave another 24 hours or so, until 23:59 on Wednesday, for critiques.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

1 bravelion83
2 netn10
3 ink-treader
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our top 4 are the following:

Ink-Treader
bravelion83
Subject16
slimytrout

Congrats to them all - round to come very soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”