Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL May Top 4/Round 4

"Quick-Change Artistry"

Aspect of Manticore, taken from cardsrealm, by Tomasz Jedruszek and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Instant Month here in the CCL - this month will be all about various things done at instant speed.

Challenge
Design two Aura cards with flash. Each must have a different enchant ability.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • For example, "enchant creature" and "enchant creature with flying" are different enchant abilities, as are "enchant artifact" and "enchant player."
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@slimytrout
@RaikouRider
@bravelion83
@Venedrex
Your submissions are due Thursday, June 3rd, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 30th-May 7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 8th-15th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (May 23rd–26th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due May 28th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 31st-June 3rd)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due June 5th)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Curse of Velocity R
Enchantment — Aura Curse (U)
Flash
Enchant player
Creatures can attack enchanted player as though they had haste.
"They say faster is often better, but it really depends on your point of view. What I know is that I am always on the wrong side."
—The unluckiest planeswalker

Instinct of Ferocity 2G
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Flash
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has trample.
When Instinct of Ferocity enters the battlefield, if enchanted creature has power 4 or greater, draw a card.
A roar echoed through the forest.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bump.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Apprehend 2WU
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Flash
Enchant creature or planeswalker
When Apprehend enters the battlefield, counter all abilities from sources with enchanted permanent's name.
Enchanted permanent can't attack or block, its abilities can't be activated unless they're mana abilities, and abilities of that permanent can't trigger.

Forged with Zeal 1RW
Enchantment - Aura {R}
Flash
Enchant Equipment
When Forged with Zeal enters the battlefield or at the beginning of your upkeep, gain control of enchanted Equipment until end of turn. Unattach that Equipment when you lose control of it.
As long as it's your turn, equip abilities of enchanted Equipment cost 3 less to activate.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Wings of Reproach 1U
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Flash
Enchant creature you control
When Wings of Reproach enters the battlefield, exile target spell.
When Wings of Reproach leaves the battlefield, the exiled card's owner may cast that card without paying its mana cost.
Enchanted creature has flying.

Labored Breath 1U
Flash
Enchant player
Constellation — Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, creatures enchanted player controls get -1/-0 until end of turn.
"Now you will know what it is like to lie gasping on the deck."
-Kenessos, Priest of Thassa

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Sudden Infestation
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Flash
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has: "At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on this creature." When enchanted creature dies, create X 1/1 black and green Horror creature tokens, where X is equal to its mana value.

Form of Knowledge
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Flash
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature is dealt damage, draw that many cards.
The Jeskai defeat their enemies with wisdom gained from their own strikes.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

slimytrout

Are we good to start critiquing? It's quite a bit past the deadline.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

My apologies - yes, please get in your critiques.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Apprehend 2WU
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Flash
Enchant creature or planeswalker
When Apprehend enters the battlefield, counter all abilities from sources with enchanted permanent's name.
Enchanted permanent can't attack or block, its abilities can't be activated unless they're mana abilities, and abilities of that permanent can't trigger.

Forged with Zeal 1RW
Enchantment - Aura {R}
Flash
Enchant Equipment
When Forged with Zeal enters the battlefield or at the beginning of your upkeep, gain control of enchanted Equipment until end of turn. Unattach that Equipment when you lose control of it.
As long as it's your turn, equip abilities of enchanted Equipment cost 3 less to activate.
Instant speed is needed on Apprehend to counter abilities. It feels a bit narrow as an ability to me, but it's fine and in color. That's the blue part of the card, if you remove that than there would be no blue here. Notably, triggered ability don't escape the Arrest effect here, that feels original.
Forged with Zeal is the kind of card I personally... "hate" is too strong of a word, let's say "I don't really like played against me", stealing effects. I already play Equipment rarely, and to have a good one in constructed you essentially have to go to Modern (I'm thinking Swords and things like Batterskull), I don't want to see them stealed. And not only that, my opponent will be able to equip my Equipment to their creatures much easier than I do. Unattaching when the Equipment comes back is needed for logistics. A fine card even though I'm not a fan of the design space it plays in. Also, flash isn't really needed here.
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Wings of Reproach 1U
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Flash
Enchant creature you control
When Wings of Reproach enters the battlefield, exile target spell.
When Wings of Reproach leaves the battlefield, the exiled card's owner may cast that card without paying its mana cost.
Enchanted creature has flying.

Labored Breath 1U
Flash
Enchant player
Constellation — Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, creatures enchanted player controls get -1/-0 until end of turn.
"Now you will know what it is like to lie gasping on the deck."
-Kenessos, Priest of Thassa
Wings — Ok, "exile target spell" requires flash. I'm not a big fan of counterspells either, but that's fine. At least if I manage to deals with this, I get my spell back, and for free. Nice refund.
Breath — Strange to see a Curse without "Curse" in its name. The rest of the card is fine, it requires you to play as many enchantments as possible, which is not that easy, but I guess enchantment creatures make it easier. I don't see how flash is technically needed here, it's just a primary blue ability on a blue card.
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Sudden Infestation
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Flash
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has: "At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on this creature." When enchanted creature dies, create X 1/1 black and green Horror creature tokens, where X is equal to its mana value.

Form of Knowledge
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Flash
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature is dealt damage, draw that many cards.
The Jeskai defeat their enemies with wisdom gained from their own strikes.
Infestation — No! Why the colon?!? It's not an activated ability! This looks like a typo but it's really a funcional mistake. Ignoring it, the effect is fine and I like it, but here too I wonder whether flash is really necessary. Maybe you want to play this in response to a removal spell to immediately get the tokens? It would be a 2-for-1 though. I don't know.
In Form of Knowledge, flash is not technically necessary but nice to have, to play it in combat with knowledge (unintended pun) of attackers and blockers, so you know which creatures are about to be dealt damage. I think this could be a monoblue card, but my inner Mel likes how you've represented all five colors between your cards.
Top 3

1st place: slimytrout
2nd place: RaikouRIder
3rd place (technically DQ): Venedrex (penalized for the functional mistake, otherwise it might have been 1st place) edit: thanks to slimytrout that made me realize the cards do not meet the main challenge, sorry.
Last edited by bravelion83 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout

One of my main questions on most of these is going to be "does it make sense for this to have flash?"
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Curse of Velocity is an interesting card. I would say it sort of makes sense for it to have flash -- one the one hand, you can flash it in to give your next play surprise haste, but on the other hand you lost a turn of giving your previous play haste. I'm not sure I love the flavor text -- Creative has so far avoided actually labeling him "the unluckiest planeswalker." Instinct of Ferocity is definitely fun -- put it on your largest creature to draw a card and get some damage through -- but it's substantially overcosted and should not be uncommon. Except on the last turn of the game, flash is not going to be as good as giving +1/+0, so Setessan Training is usually a better card that costs one less and is common.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Apprehend is very fun -- gives (several) extra reasons for an Arrest variant to have flash, and the triggered ability part is also fun. I wonder if it needs to be rare though, given that we basically never have cards that mention "triggers" at lower rarities. Forged With Zeal is a little narrow for my taste, and maybe a bit of a color pie bend -- this is closer to permanently stealing than red usually gets. I also don't really understand why it has flash -- you can't unequip the equipment at instant speed, so what does it matter if you gain control of it mid-combat?
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Well, the most important aspect is that the challenge was not met -- these both say "enchant creature" -- but I'll give a quick critique anyway. Sudden Infestation is interesting, since it has two modes: either slowly shrink your opponent's most threatening creature, or put this on something that's going to die anyway to get a bunch of tokens. Form of Knowledge is fun and powerful, but it doesn't feel very Jeskai at all -- in fact, it's much more green than anything else.
T2 (one DQ)
Show
Hide
1. bravelion83
2. RaikouRider

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Top 3.
1. slimytrout
2. RaikouRider
3. bravelion83
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

bravelion83: Both of these are clean designs. Precedent says the curse is probably undercosted by one mana. The trample aura probably should draw a card unconditionally at this rarity; as is, I could see this at common in an enchantment-focused set like Theros.

slimytrout: Can you say tempo? Both of these cards represent pretty crazy tempo swings. The curse seems like a nasty Limited surprise, depending on how many flash enchantments are in the format. The only thing I don't like about this is it does nothing when you cast it. The Spell Queller aura I don't think would break anything, but it would need a lot of testing and might need some numbers adjusted. My instinct tells me there should probably a restriction on what kinds of spells it could target. Note this also gets uncounterables.

Venedrex: As both of these auras have enchant creature, your entry is disqualified.

1) bravelion83
2) slimytrout
3) venedrex (DQ)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And your finalists are bravelion83 and slimytrout - round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”