The DCC - May 21st, 2021

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

And now for the exciting conclusion!

"Alright," shouted Thor, his patience having run out. "Enough games! Now you'll see how a real man proves his strength! I'll down any quantity of mead you have!"

Utgarda-Loki was strangely calm. "I have a drinking horn here, as it happens, which the most vigorous drinkers can quaff in one breath. Even drinking it all in two breaths proves you've got a strong constitution. But nobody could possibly fail to finish it all given three breaths." Thor didn't need to hear any more: He snatched the vast, tapering horn out of Utgarda-Loki's hands and began to gulp like mad.

After nearly a whole minute Thor could stand no more and had to pause to breathe. He looked down at the insides of the cup and it was still almost completely full. He shook himself out and took another gigantic swig, again drinking for a solid minute - and yet when he pulled the horn away from his lips the liquid inside had barely gone down. Now Thor had to commit to finishing it in the next drink - but when Thor made a final attempt just as mighty as the previous two, he discovered that he'd only put away about a third of the mead.

"Hmph," chuckled Utgarda-Loki. "Maybe Thor's not really worthy of his reputation after all. You can still redeem yourself, however - I have a fat and stubborn old cat, and we make sport of trying to pick him up. He's mean and likes to hiss and spit, and he is quite heavy - but of course he's still just a cat."

And then as if on cue, the scarred old moggie wandered into the hall with the proud bearing that every cat has, and he was "just a cat" to a giant, of course, but still a fairly big animal compared to Thor's size.

"Hah, I've lifted up beasts much bigger than this one, Utgarda-Loki," snorted Thor. "Even if your drinking horn is some sort of trick, you'll see me easily handle your cat." And so Thor walked up up to the cat and gripped it by its middle, and he lifted with all the strength he could muster, but the cat was exceptionally heavy - much more so than its size would seem to indicate. And with it yowling and thrashing in protest, Thor couldn't do much other than push its paunchy belly up. Again he tried, and only succeeded in getting the cat to arch his back, and then with one last grim and heroic effort Thor could only lift one of the cat's paws off the ground.

The frustrations of these tests, the laughter of the assembled crowd, and most of all the silent smirk on the face of Utgarda-Loki made Thor fly into one of his storm-like rages, his hair nearly standing on end as his great blue eyes flashed with fury.

"Send anyone you choose to fight me, Utgarda-Loki, this moment, and I'll beat him into submission while I look you right in the face! I'll show you the consequences of mocking a god!"

"You know, Thor, that's not a bad idea, except - I don't think almost anyone in my hall would accept that. Even stooping to fight someone as clearly weak as you are would bring shame to a real warrior. So my childhood nursemaid, Elli, will wrestle you - she's getting on in years but she's probably a good match for you."

And so up stepped a wrinkled and white-haired old woman who grinned toothlessly at the idea of a drunken scrap. "Come here, you young scoundrel," she said, "and I'll show you I've forgotten more about fighting than you've ever learned!"

The embarrassment was already overwhelming, but now Thor had been taunted by the old crone herself, and so, snorting with anger, he stepped up to wrestle her. They clinched, and Thor tried to throw her by the leg, but she instead tripped him and pushed him straight to the ground. He dusted off from the fall and grasped Elli's wrist strongly, and tried to throw her over his head, but the old woman instead twisted around and threw Thor over her own shoulder. Finally Thor locked her waist and arched backward, but somehow like the very air she came out of his grip and threw him to the side - three falls to zero.

Thoroughly humiliated, Thor was about to storm out of the hall, but Utgarda-Loki placated him, saying "Don't be discouraged by these defeats, Odin's son - there's still plenty of food, drink, and good cheer to be had, so why don't you stay the night anyhow?" It was indeed late and the weather looked rough outside the castle doors, so Thor and his party assented to stay, and woke up to a hearty breakfast the following morning.

As the party was due to leave, and their host showed them out of the door, Utgarda-Loki asked Thor, "What did you think of my hall, my good guest?"

"I can't say your hospitality was lacking," Thor replied. "But it does bother me that if anyone asks you what you thought of me, you'll have to say, 'Thor's not very strong at all.'"

Utgarda-Loki looked aside for a moment and then cleared his throat. "I don't think that's true, Thor. In fact, if I'm being honest, I'm going to make sure you never come to my castle again - and if I knew how powerful you and your companions were I would never have invited you in the first place. You're the most dangerous being - human, giant, or god - I've ever come across, and it was only my illusions that protected me from you. In truth I was in disguise when you first met me, as Skrymir, and when I offered you my provisions bag I turned the knots into coils of the hardest of metals which could only get tighter, not looser.

"When you struck me three blows with your hammer, in reality those blows were landing far away, and if you walk down where we camped together, you'll see in the distance three valleys, each one deeper than the last, all in the shape of the head of Mjölnir.

"Your fellow god, Loki, really is the greatest eater of all, save for the man he raced against, who was no man at all. In truth Logi is fire, which consumes anything it touches.

"As for your servant boy, he truly is the fastest runner I've ever seen. He raced against no ordinary opponent, but still he nearly kept pace with thought itself - that is what Hugi is.

"The horn I gave you to drink from was not just a cup of mead, but the ocean, from which you've drank so much that I think you shall see it emptying and refilling each day from now on.

"I have no pet cat, as it turns out, either - the beast you were struggling to lift was Jörmundgandr, the Midgard Serpent encircling the world and the largest beast in existence. When you thought you were lifting one paw on your last attempt, in reality you were lifting the serpent's tail high into the air - I've never seen a feat of strength anything like it.

"And lastly my nursemaid Elli whom you wrestled was old age itself, and although no one can escape the passage of time, you struggled so mightily against it that it's clear you'll still be in the prime of your strength when I've long since passed away."

The whole group was stunned by this news, but Thor quickly recovered from his shock and grabbed Mjölnir, prepared to stave in Utgarda-Loki's arrogant skull for lying to them and trying to shame them this entire time. But quicker than the blink of an eye Utgarda-Loki was gone. Thor turned around intending to smash the very castle of Utgard down but it too had disappeared, and the four travelers stood alone in an open and empty field, bewildered, overawed, and exhausted, and none of them would ever forget how the greatest illusionist of the giants tricked them all, or how Thor's sheer power almost destroyed him anyway.

DCC Scoreboard

RattingRots 66 (+0)
void_nothing 49 (+0)
JessWill 49 (+3)
netn10 49 (+5)
bravelion83 43 (+5)
Rithaniel 42 (+1)
Zemoo 39 (+2)
marioguy3 15 (+2)
MonoRedMage 5
kwanyeegor-ii 4
Pygyzy 3

marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: JessWill, bravelion83

Malinana, Golem Representative
Legendary Planeswalker - Malinana (Mythic Rare)
+1: Exile the top three cards of your library.
-2: Put a 2/2 colorless Golem Cat artifact creature token.
-7: Create X treasures, where X is the number of artifact cards you own in exile.
JessWill wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: MarioGuy3, Netn10

Out of the Ether 2UB
Sorcery (U)
Return a creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield with a flying counter on it.
The sky is the limit from rock bottom.
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: netn10, JessWill

Naktamun Mummy 1W
Creature — Zombie (U)
Cycling 1W (1W, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
Embalm 3W (3W, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it has no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery.)
2/2
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: Zemoo, bravelion83

Find Spoils 2GU
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Create a 1/1 artifact Myr creature token, a clue, a treasure and a food.
It's a good day when you find everything you look for.
RattingRots wrote:
2 years ago
marioguy3, bravelion83

HM: netn10, void_nothing

Heirloom of Strength 1
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equip 4
Equipped creature has soulbond. (You may pair it with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as equipped creature is paired with another creature, each of those creatures gets +1/+1.
When equipped creature dies, if it was paired with another creature, equip ~ to that creature.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
netn10 jesswill
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, Rithaniel

Betrayal Sliver 1B
Creature - Sliver (R)
Slivers you control have all abilities of Slivers not named Betrayal Sliver you don't control.
When two hives turn on one another, there is no mercy.
2/2
Rithaniel wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: netn10, Zemoo

Reverberating Form
Creature - Eldrazi Phoenix R
Flying, haste
If you don't have any creature cards in your graveyard, you may cast Reverberating Form from exile.
, Exile three creature cards from your graveyard: Until end of turn, players can't gain life and damage can't be prevented. Activate this ability only if Reverberating Form is exiled or in your graveyard.
"Phoenixes and Vhedrasa are connected on some fundamental level. It's as if they stemmed from the same original spark, but diverged at some point."
—Nova Yeht, the Ancient

4/4
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Votes; netn10, JessWill

Free Stuff
Artifact (Common)
When Free Stuff enters the battlefield, create a food token. (It's a colorless artifact token with "{2}, {T}, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life.")
The first day of college is filled to the brim with fascinating items. None are more exciting than those sweet digestible goodies.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Votes: bravelion83 (You nailed the first MH2 spoiler, mechanic-wise!), Rithaniel

Vroomite 4
Artifact - Vehicle (Common)
Affinity for artifacts
Crew 4 minus the number of artifacts you control.
2/2

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Votes; netn10, JessWill

Golgari Revenant 2B
Creature — Zombie (U)
When Golgari Revenant enters the battlefield, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
Evoke 1B (You may cast this spell for its evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.)
Scavenge 3B (3B, Exile this card from your graveyard: Put a number of +1/+1 counters equal to this card's power on target creature. Scavenge only as a sorcery.)
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

JessWill
Bad %$#% gamer
Pronoun: she / her

Post by JessWill » 2 years ago

Votes: MarioGuy3, Bravelion83

Worldly Consciousness 3G
Enchantment (R)
When Worldly Conciousness enters the battlefield, choose a basic land type. Each nonland permanent you control is a basic land of the chosen type in addition to its other types.
The world is will and representation.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 years ago

Votes: netn10, RattingRots

Momentane Utterance
Instant M
Choose up to three target permanents, permanent cards in graveyards, or face-up exiled permanent cards. For each target, choose battlefield, graveyard, or exile and move that target to the chosen zone. You can't move a target to a zone it is currently in.
"You think you may have destroyed them, but I've learned to never assume such a thing. I have thought I had destroyed Vhedrasa many times, but then it returns, shaking off its lack of existence like a coat of dust."
—Nova Yeht, the Ancient
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Votes: bravelion83, RattingRots

Blood of Akoum 2R
Creature - Avatar (R)
First strike
Whenever another creature you control deals combat damage to a player, if Blood of Akoum is attacking, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature. If that creature is a land creature, instead put a +1/+1 counter on that creature and on Blood of Akoum.
1/1
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

netn10 rithaniel
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Zemoo

Post by Zemoo » 2 years ago

votes: RattingRots, netn10

Make up for Lost Time
Sorcery (M)
Each player Shuffles their hand and graveyard into their library and draws 7 cards. You get an additional land drop for each land the opponent with the most lands on the battlefield controls more than you. Exile ~.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”