The DCC - May 17th, 2021

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

@Rithaniel Because I do take requests, today's going to have part 1 of a full account of the story of the Contests in Utgard, as seen in the Gylfaginning section of the Prose Edda. In context, a character named Thridi - apparently Odin in disguise - is telling the story long after the fact in order to give an example of how Thor's sheer power was once beaten through magic and trickery.

We begin with Thor and Loki traveling together in Midgard - our ordinary Earth - in the course of their godly business, as Thor is the protector of all humans. In the evening they needed to stop for food and rest (for the gods have those needs just as much as we do, although they're much stronger than us). They managed to find a farmhouse and asked for lodging, and the owners, a couple with one young son and one young daughter, were happy to give them hospitality. In return, Thor contributed to the evening meal by slaughtering the goats which draw his chariot and serving the meat. It's all eaten down to the bone, and the family's son idly cracked one of the remaining leg bones in order to eat the marrow, which was a delicacy.

Since these are goats of Asgard, being butchered doesn't truly kill them. Thor placed the bones and hides in the cauldron and passes his wondrous hammer Mjölnir over it, and then out climbed the goats as healthy as ever! Well - mostly. Because although the goat Bared-Tooth was in perfect condition when he revived, his compatriot Grind-Tooth has a pronounced limp thanks to the boy breaking his leg bone.

Thor was not pleased, to put it mildly. To placate him, the family sent their two children off with Thor and Loki to be their servants for the remainder of the journey. (Gylfaginning says that these young servants, Thjálfi and Röskva, are obligated to assist Thor forever, but they don't appear in any other surviving story.)

Leaving the goats behind until they returned and now four-strong, the party set out the following morning and by the evening they had reached a dense forest - one so large that it wasn't clear what lay beyond it. Still carrying Thor's bags, Thjálfi ran hither and yon in search of something to eat for the night, but even though he was covering much ground, being the fastest runner in the world, Thjálfi couldn't find anything edible to forage, only inedible and poisonous plants. Loki's stomach rumbled especially hard given his voracious appetite. Discouraged, the four continued to wander until they finally saw something to give them hope: A large and unusually-shaped building, possibly an inn or a feasting hall, standing in the midst of the trees, invitingly warm, spacious, and empty.

They headed inside for the night and soon discovered the structure had four long corridors each next to the other and, set at an angle to the other four, one shorter one. Even with their bellies empty, it was comfortable and seemingly safe enough that the four could bed down expecting to have better success the following day - but as night fell there was a distant rumble that turned into a rolling earthquake that shook the whole building! Thjálfi, Röskva, and Loki - always concerned about saving his own hide - were scared witless, and even the fearless Thor gripped Mjölnir until his knuckles turned white, so anxious was he. They spent the night in dread but none of them could have imagined the surprise they'd have in the morning when they investigated the source of the earthquake...

DCC Scoreboard

RattingRots 58 (+8)
void_nothing 40 (+0)
JessWill 39 (+2)
netn10 38 (+1)
Zemoo 34 (+4)
bravelion83 28 (+1)
Rithaniel 28 (+1)
marioguy3 12 (+2)
kwanyeegor-ii 4
Pygyzy 3 (+1)

JessWill wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: Pygyzy, RattingRots

Astral Journey 2W
Instant (U)
Exile target nonland permanent. At the beginning of the next end step, return it to the battlefield under it's owner's control.
Incarnate 2WW (2WW: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield transformed.)
///
Astral Spirit
Creature - Spirit (U)
When Astral Spirit enters the battlefield, exile target nonland permanent until Astral Spirit leaves the battlefield.
When Astral Spirit dies, exile it instead of putting it into your graveyard.
2/2
marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: JessWill, Zemo

Cattle Farm
Land (Rare)
: Add .
,: Create a 3/3 colorless Golem Cat artifact creature token. Activate only as a sorcery.
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: RattingRots, netn10

Terror of the Snow 3U
Snow Creature — Yeti (R)
Terror of the Snow's power and toughness are each equal to the number of nonland snow permanents you control.
3S, T: Search your library for a Snow card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
*/*
RattingRots wrote:
2 years ago
Rithaniel, Zemoo

Diverge UR
Instant (U)
The next time you cast an instant or sorcery spell this turn copy it. If it has converted mana cost 2 or less, return it to its owner's hand after it resolves.
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: RattingRots, marioguy3

Upside Down W
Sorcery (Rare)
Target opponent exiles their hand until end of turn,
/// Fuse ///
Downside Up 2B
Sorcery (Rare)
Target opponent exiles all enchantments.
Rithaniel wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, Zemoo

Re: void_nothing - I'd be down for some recountings of the interesting stories, like the one where Loki and Thor (and I believe someone else) travel to the hall of some giant and they have to complete these competitive tasks.

Cavern of Bells
Land R
: Add .
: Add one mana of any color a nonland permanent you control could produce.
The Nomads of Ikoso Vhra found the caves, one day, and noticed how it would echo the sounds they made. A few of them wondered how it would sound to ring a bell in that place.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
jesswill rattingrots
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: RattingRots, Zemoo

Leafbind Shaman 2GG
Creature - Treefolk Shaman (R)
Ward 1
Enchantment spells your opponents cast cost 1 more to cast.
Discard Leafbind Shaman: Tap target artifact. It loses all abilities until end of turn.
3/3
Zemoo wrote:
2 years ago
votes: RattingRots, marioguy3

Galvanic Gnawer
Creature - Rat Mutant (U)
When ~ enters the battle field create
Pay : ~ deals x damage to target creature where x is the number of energy counters on on you.
2/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

JessWill
Bad %$#% gamer
Pronoun: she / her

Post by JessWill » 2 years ago

Votes: Netn10, Rithaniel

Occupy Territory GU
Sorcery (U)
Gain control of up to three target lands controlled by an opponent until end of turn. Untap those lands.
What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Votes: JessWill, marioguy3 (I didn't knew the Cat Golem well is so deep', thanks for showing me!)

Llanowar Cutthroat G
Creature - Elf Rogue (Common)
Flash
Ward 1
"One cut for each fallen leaf."
1/1

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Votes: Rithaniel, void_nothing

Insistent Regrowth 2GG
Sorcery (R)
Return target creature or land card from your graveyard to your hand.
Cycling 1G (1G, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.)
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Votes: void_nothing, bravelion83

netn10: I intend to put more Golem Cats within my designs in the present moment: I hope you enjoy some more of the future designs!

Golemnator, Master of Travel
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem Cat (Mythic Rare)
When you cast Golemnator, Master of Travel from the command zone for the third time this game, exile all lands.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, create X 2/2 Cat Golem tokens, where X is the number of land cards in exile.
: Search your library for up to ten basic land cards and exile them. Then shuffle.
10/10
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

JessWill, Rithaniel

Rotten Vegetables 2BG
Sorcery (U)
Choose one:
*Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
*Search your library for two basic land cards and put them on the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Votes: JessWill, RattingRots

Clawcutter Shinobi 2B
Creature - Rat Ninja (R)
Other Rats you control have deathtouch.
Other Ninjas you control have first strike.
Ninjutsu - B, Sacrifice a creature.
2/1
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Zemoo

Post by Zemoo » 2 years ago

votes: netn10, bravelion83

Arterial Adherent
Creature - Vampire Cleric(U)
Flying, vigilance
: Remove up to one counter from another target creature or planeswalker, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
3/3

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Votes - netn10, Rithaniel

Flamerake Wolverine 3R
Creature - Wolverine (Common)
First strike
When Flamerake Wolverine enters the battlefield, it deals damage to any target equal to the number of creatures with first strike and/or double strike you control.
1/1

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 years ago

Votes: bravelion83, RattingRots

Wow, an entire recounting of the story? That's more than I was expecting.

Justice out of Chaos
Instant U
Target creature gets +2/+2 and gains vigilance until end of turn. Then, if you spent to cast this spell, that creature gains haste until end of turn. Then, if you spent to cast this spell, that creature gains deathtouch until end of turn. (Do both if was spent.)
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

rattingrots zemoo
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”