Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL April Top 4/Round 4

"From Cradle to Grave"

Thrun, the Last Troll, taken from Art of MTG, by Jason Chan and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Mythology Month here in the CCL - we'll be crafting our own myths and legends.

Challenge
Design two artifact or creature cards, one representing the first of its kind and the other the last of its kind.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Sunday, May 2nd, 23:59 EST.
Contestants:
@slimytrout
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Ink-Treader
@Henlock

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 31st-April 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (April 12th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due April 20th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (April 21st–24th)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due April 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 29th–May 2nd)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 4th)
  • Final (May, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

holder

Wispy Aetherborn BB
Creature - Aetherborn (U)
Haste
Wispy Aetherborn can't block or be blocked.
At the beginning of your upkeep, pay E or put a -1/-1 counter on Wispy Aetherborn.
The first Aetherborn existed for mere days, but they made a strong first impression upon the people of Kaladesh.
2/2

Venerable Worldreaver 3
Legendary Artifact (R)
T: Create a Treasure token and put a decay counter on Worldreaver Foundry. This ability costs 2 more for each decay counter on Worldreaver Foundry.
T, Sacrifice a land: Create a Treasure token and remove all decay counters from Worldreaver Foundry.
"The only Titan relic that still functions, and they use it to squeeze gold from dirt!"
-Calandri, engineer

//(MDFC)//
Restored Worldlathe 1RG
Legendary Artifact (R)
2, T: Search your library for a land card and exile it, then shuffle. When you exile a land card this way, destroy target land, then that land's controller puts the exiled card onto the battlefield tapped. Activate only as a sorcery.
"I could do so much more with it! I could build us a utopia!"
-Calandri, engineer
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Bushi, Redeemed by Honor 1RW
Legendary Creature - Human Samurai (R)
Double strike
Bushido 2 (Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked, it gets +2/+2 until end of turn.)
Each other creature you control enters the battlefield with an additional bushido counter on it and as a Samurai in addition to its other types.
"Follow this code so you will never become the man I once was."
1/1

Hazoret, the Survivor 2RR
Legendary Creature - God (M)
Whenever Hazoret, the Survivor attacks, you may discard a card. If you do, Hazoret deals 2 damage to each opponent and gains indestructible until end of turn.
Dash 3R (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
5/4
Last edited by slimytrout 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Edgeling Prototype
Artifact Creature - Edgeling (u)
Haste, flying, first strike.
1/0

Unit Seventy, the Upriser 3
Legendary Artifact Creature - Edgeling (r)
Other Edgeling creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever Unit Seventy, the Upriser deals combat damage to an opponent, gain control of target artifact that player controls and it becomes an Edgeling creature with base power 1/0 and flying and first strike.
2/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Just waiting on @kwanyeegor-ii now.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Groklok, the Moon Starer 2UBR
Legendary Creature - Cyclops (Mythic)
Whenever Groklok or another Cyclops enters the battlefield under your control, you draw a card and lose 1 life.
Whenever Groklok or another Cyclops you control attacks, you may cast an instant or sorcery card from your hand with mana value less than or equal to that creature's power without paying its mana cost.
The tale says that a ball of glacier ice and rock rolled into a mire and Groklok formed around it, and immediately began contemplating killing.
3/3

Beak of the Last Kappa 2
Legendary Artifact (Rare)
2, T: Tap target creature that's attacking you or a planeswalker you control. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
2, T, Sacrifice Beak of the Last Kappa: Create a tapped token that's a copy of target creature that's attacking you or a planeswalker you control.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And that will cap off the round. Please critique everyone else and arrange them into a top 3!

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
holder

Wispy Aetherborn BB
Creature - Aetherborn (U)
Haste
Wispy Aetherborn can't block or be blocked.
At the beginning of your upkeep, pay E or put a -1/-1 counter on Wispy Aetherborn.
The first Aetherborn existed for mere days, but they made a strong first impression upon the people of Kaladesh.
2/2

Venerable Worldreaver 3
Legendary Artifact (R)
T: Create a Treasure token and put a decay counter on Worldreaver Foundry. This ability costs 2 more for each decay counter on Worldreaver Foundry.
T, Sacrifice a land: Create a Treasure token and remove all decay counters from Worldreaver Foundry.
"The only Titan relic that still functions, and they use it to squeeze gold from dirt!"
-Calandri, engineer

//(MDFC)//
Restored Worldlathe 1RG
Legendary Artifact (R)
2, T: Search your library for a land card and exile it, then shuffle. When you exile a land card this way, destroy target land, then that land's controller puts the exiled card onto the battlefield tapped. Activate only as a sorcery.
"I could do so much more with it! I could build us a utopia!"
-Calandri, engineer
Wispy Aetherborn looks good. Haste + unblockable is super strong but u need a lot of energy to keep using it

Worldreaver/Worldlathe, first of all thats such cool mysterious flavor. I wanna know more about this plane. Worldreaver side looks fine, maybe even kinda boring. Worldlathe is a lot cooler but seems like it could be abused by certain decks
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Bushi, Redeemed by Honor 1RW
Legendary Creature - Human Samurai (R)
Double strike
Bushido 2 (Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked, it gets +2/+2 until end of turn.)
Each other creature you control enters the battlefield with an additional bushido counter on it and as a Samurai in addition to its other types.
"Follow this code so you will never become the man I once was."
1/1

Hazoret, the Survivor 2RR
Legendary Creature - God (M)
Whenever Hazoret, the Survivor attacks, you may discard a card. If you do, Hazoret deals 2 damage to each opponent and gains indestructible until end of turn.
Dash 3R (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
5/4
Bushi, I love the flavor that samurai are called bushi because of their founder. Bushido counters dont really make sense with how keyword counters are used, and Sensei Golden-Tail implies to use training counters lol. Best use for this card is to use other samurai tribal cards with any creature you choose

Hazoret, mostly just a pushed card I think. Fits with her first version and shes definitely the last god of Amonkhet
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Edgeling Prototype
Artifact Creature - Edgeling (u)
1/0

Unit Seventy, the Upriser 3
Legendary Artifact Creature - Edgeling (r)
Other Edgeling creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever Unit Seventy, the Upriser deals combat damage to an opponent, gain control of target artifact that player controls and it becomes an Edgeling creature with base power 1/0 and flying and first strike.
2/1
Edgeling Prototype seems normally hard to use. You need an anthem and getting a 2/1 is way less powerful than getting a 9/1 for 3 mana with Force of Savagery.

Unit Seventy, now it kind of makes sense. The main ability is kind of just a hoser which is flavorful but kinda disappointing. Would wanna use it with Liquimetal Coating though
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 Ink-Treader
2 slimytrout
3 Henlock
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Bushi: The first samurai eh? Double strike and Bushido make for an interesting combo, dissuading blocking while they themselves aren't too innately threatening. Teaching everyone there ways is a nice little bonus that's not overwhelming. I wonder if this would be too concerning for Limited at Uncommon, because I'd bet it could be pushed down.
Hazoret: Clean and effective. Compares favorably to Archwing Dragon, without being overwhelmingly better.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Groklok: I like the flavor text. Cyclops tribal lord is pretty intriguing. I wonder if blue could be dropped, since there aren't very many blue cyclops (and in fact there are more green), but that's pretty minor. The effects are strong, but cyclops tribal is pretty niche, though running this with changeling could be something...
Kappa: Inspired by Shell of the Last Kappa. The first ability feels weird since it's not all that properly defensive, but that keeps it from being too annoying, and makes the second option more tempting.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I wondered if anyone would do the first and last of the same thing.
First Edgeling: Weird little critter. Force of Savagery is the obvious comparison. Costing 0 feels weird here, mostly because any toughness boosters you have will likely come down later than you can play it, while the Force has a chance of being curved into properly.
Last Edgeling: More last in the since that whoever made these things won't be making anymore, though this certainly can make more. On its own, it's actually quite solid. Being quite likely to snag an artifact for 3 mana is quite alright, with the potential for so much more.
For some reason, I visualize these taking some visual design cues from slivers.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. Henlock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Love Wispy Aetherborn -- only gets in 3 damage if you don't have any energy, but becomes a very annoying threat if you can keep feeding it, and the flavor is great. The Worldreaver is pretty unexciting -- a 3-mana artifact that slowly and painfully makes treasure hardly seems worth playing. The Worldlathe is more intriguing, although I worry it would be miserable to play against (especially in limited) as your opponent slowly color-screws you while simultaneously thinning their own deck of lands.
Henlock
Show
Hide
A bit worried about a 0 mana card that instantly dies when you play it -- seems like it would be used solely to enable shenanigans. The Upriser is fun, and I love the flavor of the last ability.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
The flavor of Groklok feels a bit confusing -- is he staring at the moon, or is he bent on homicide? Also not exactly sure what blue is doing in there, since it's not necessary for the abilities and the only two blue cyclopses that exist are both flavored as Izzet mechanical men. The Beak is more interesting as a colorless clone, but it feels like the first ability could be tightened way down to read "Target attacking creature doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step." Sure, it doesn't work on vigilance, but it is so much more grokkable that I think it's worth it.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. Henlock
3. kwanyeegor-ii

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

InkTreadrr - Wispy Aetherborn looks pretty fun, it's 3 guaranteed damage but it can get pretty annoying if you have a couple of energy counters to use on this. I love designs with this kind of clauses.

The artifice has a pretty unexciting face and a potentially oppressive one. but, to be honest, I do think Magic needs more effects like this one that allow punishing an opponent for playing mutiple collors. And the ability to tutor lanfs is very important, too. I would have set this in Boros rather than Gruul.

slimytrout: Bushi looks like it can be put to good use in combat mirrors but I am.not too excited about it. It is a formidable blocker and.puniahing to block, but in its ability to damage your opponent's face it's just a fencing ace.

Now Hazoret is a bomb. Really powerful at hitting face. The ability to keep it away from.sorcery-speed interaction with the dash ability makes up for the lack of native indestructibility. I like it. It's pushed, but it's mostly a beater.

kwanyegor: It:s a bit small but the value it can accrue if unchecked is certainly a lot. I don't know how viable Cyclops are, but this is enough of a payoff to try..
I like the artifact, but I think the first ability should be simplified a bit. Keeping creatures from.untapping is actually a very relevant ability, so it's great this is legendary.

1. InkTreader
2. Slimytrout
3. kwanyegor

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And your finalists are slimytrout and Ink-Treader - congratulations to both! Round to come later.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”