March CCL Round 3: Heavy Contrast

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

CCL March Round 3/Top 8

"Heavy Constrast"

Banner based on Creakwood Liege and Crag Puca, by Wizards of the Coast, Cole Eastburn and John Howe respectively.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Color Combinations Month here in the CCL! During this month, we will be slowly increasing our horizons regarding mixes of the five colors of Magic.

Challenge
Design a two-colored card that has three or more hybrid mana in its mana cost.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • The card have to be two-colored, although it does not have to have two-colored color identity.
  • The hybrid symbols can be classic hybrid or twobrid and any combination of thereof; they have to appear in total three times; more on hybrid mana can be read here.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Tuesday, March 23rd, 12:00 EST.
Players:
@Henlock
@scarbo
@bravelion83
@slimytrout
@void_nothing
@RaikouRider
@MonoRedMage
@Daylit

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (March 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due March 20th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (March 20th–23rd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due March 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (March 26th–29th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due April 1st)
  • Final (April, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

scarbo
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by scarbo » 3 years ago

Remember-Me-Not {g/u}{g/u}{g/u}{g/u}
Creature - Shapeshifter (R)
Flash
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may have Remember-Me-Not become a copy of that creature and gain this ability.
3/4

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Ghor-Clan Warrior 2{R/G}{R/G}{R/G}
Creature — Human Warrior (R)
Haste
At the beginning of your end step, if Ghor-Clan Warrior attacked this turn, you may have it fight target creature you don't control.
"No use in having two arms if you don't use them both to do a double punch!"
4/3
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Crashing Cragfoot
Creature - Giant {M}
Trample, haste
Crashing Cragfoot attacks each combat if able, and must be blocked each combat if able.
If a creature with trample would deal excess combat damage to an opponent or a permanent an opponent controls, it deals double that damage to that player or permanent instead.
6/6

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Eye of Nivix {U/R}{U/R}{U/R}
Creature - Weird {U}
Whenever Eye of Nivix becomes the target of a spell, you may discard a card. If you do, draw two cards, then put a +1/+1 counter on Eye of Nivix.
As long as Eye of Nivix has power 4 or greater, it has flying and spells your opponents cast that target it cost an additional "Sacrifice a land" to cast.
2/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Shriving Dark {W/B}{W/B}{W/B}{W/B}
Enchantment (M)
You don't lose the game for having 0 or less life.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life if you have 1 or more life.
Whenever you lose life, you may put an enchantment card with converted mana cost exactly equal to the amount of life you lost from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield. If you didn't and you have 0 or less life, you lose the game.
{W/B}{W/B}: Each player may pay 1 life. Each player who does so draws a card.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Wild Charge 1{g/w}{g/w}{g/w}
Sorcery (U)
Creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn. They gain trample until end of turn if GG was spent to cast this and gain first strike until end of turn if WW was spent to cast this. (Do both if GGWW was spent.)
"The High City will soon see what we are capable of."
-Selvala, ranger of the Lowlands

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

Courier Network 1{G/U}{G/U}{G/U}
Enchantment (R)
During your combat phase, creatures you control have hexproof unless they are attacking and blocked.
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker, you may draw a card.
Messengers of Lord Rinidan shift through the city, exchanging reports for orders.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Proud Lion
Creature - Cat (r)
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, Proud Lion gains indestructible until end of turn and you gain 1 life.
3/3

Lorn Asbord Schutta

And the round is closed!
Please provide critiques for each other contestant and top 3.

The critiques period is to Monday, March 29th, 12:00 EST.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
scarbo wrote:
3 years ago
Remember-Me-Not {g/u}{g/u}{g/u}{g/u}
Creature - Shapeshifter (R)
Flash
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may have Remember-Me-Not become a copy of that creature and gain this ability.
3/4
Does the name point at potential memory issues? I can see them with the last ability, will you remember what this has copied last? You can't even put the card that this copies under it as a reminder, as that other creature will still be on the battlefield. Anyway, regardless of all of this, I'll be honest: I don't like the name and I can't see it on a real Magic card. Also, no flavor text while there is certainly room for it here, the rules text is not that long.
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Crashing Cragfoot
Creature - Giant {M}
Trample, haste
Crashing Cragfoot attacks each combat if able, and must be blocked each combat if able.
If a creature with trample would deal excess combat damage to an opponent or a permanent an opponent controls, it deals double that damage to that player or permanent instead.
6/6
I'm clearly not the only one who likes big Gruul monsters! Seriously, I can't find anything bad on this card, and it's also an original take on the recent concept of "excess damage". Good work.
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Creature - Weird {U}
Whenever Eye of Nivix becomes the target of a spell, you may discard a card. If you do, draw two cards, then put a +1/+1 counter on Eye of Nivix.
As long as Eye of Nivix has power 4 or greater, it has flying and spells your opponents cast that target it cost an additional "Sacrifice a land" to cast.
2/3
The name immediately reminded me of the Eye of Ugin, and I don't know whether it's a good thing or not. Notably, the first ability doesn't say "a spell an opponent controls", so you will be able to trigger this with your own spells, and this reminds me of heroic. The last ability feels like a crossing between ferocious and the new keyword ward, but you obviously designed this before even knowing of ward.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Enchantment (M)
Whenever you lose life, you may put an enchantment card with converted mana cost exactly equal to the amount of life you lost from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield. If you didn't and you have 0 or less life, you lose the game.
Probably Johnnies will love this card, but I honestly struggle to see any good use of it other than in an enchantment-heavy deck, and even there you also must have enchantments of all different mana values. To me, a Timmy/Spike, this card just sounds too complicated both in rules text and gameplay. I read it as "you don't lose the game for going below 0 life, except when you do". Also, the activated ability is not hybrid, it's actually monoblack. White can have "all players draw" but doesn't pay life to draw. It could make sense as a WB gold ability, but not hybrid.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Sorcery (U)
Creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn. They gain trample until end of turn if GG was spent to cast this and gain first strike until end of turn if WW was spent to cast this. (Do both if GGWW was spent.)
Ok, clearly inspired by the Shadowmoor/Eventide cycle of "if (color) was spent", but I also get inspiration from there quite often. Here the twist is asking for two of the colored mana. Technically new but a rather easy innovation. Also, that cycle having a base effect that happens anyway is technically new. Overall, I like this card. A card doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be good.
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Enchantment (R)
During your combat phase, creatures you control have hexproof unless they are attacking and blocked.
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker, you may draw a card.
Messengers of Lord Rinidan shift through the city, exchanging reports for orders.
That "and" between attacking and blocked feels strange to me. If you want to lose hexproof if they are blocked, saying "blocked" is enough. I think some players will misread this as "attacking or blocking", which is way more common and intuitive as a phrase. No problems with the rest of the card, the name is good, the curiosity anility is in color, and the flavor text is also good.
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Proud Lion
Creature - Cat (r)
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, Proud Lion gains indestructible until end of turn and you gain 1 life.
3/3
If this was a homage to me, thank you. If not, it's good anyway. The card too. I'm thinking hard but I can't find nothing bad about this card, everywhere you look it's good. Oh, I do have one thing: I would have liked to see flavor text, here it certainly fits. But that's the only thing. Take your first place.
Top 3
1st place: Henlock
2nd place: slimytrout
3rd place: RaikouRider
Last edited by bravelion83 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

scarbo

Post by scarbo » 3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
Ghor-Clan Warrior 2{R/G}{R/G}{R/G}
Creature — Human Warrior (R)
Haste
At the beginning of your end step, if Ghor-Clan Warrior attacked this turn, you may have it fight target creature you don't control.
"No use in having two arms if you don't use them both to do a double punch!"
4/3
A bloodthirsty creature makes sense in both red and green, but I'm trying to think how this would play differently from "When ~ attacks, you may have target creature block it this turn if able." and whether that would be an effect that makes sense in red. We saw it on Torchling though that was arguably a color shift. Red creatures can certainly fight, though again more often green. Anyway, obviously they're different effects - yours gives your opponent a choice. I feel like this is just super powerful. It puts so much pressure on your opponent, but for 5 mana I suppose it should.
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Crashing Cragfoot
Creature - Giant {M}
Trample, haste
6/6
I can see this ability getting very confusing in a variety of situations, so mythic is the correct rarity. Suppose a blocker is bounced. Is the damage it then deals in full considered excess combat damage? You should probably specify planeswalker instead of permanent unless there's some way of dealing excess combat damage to a creature I can't think of. I think this may be a balanced effect, it's just a little too confusing.
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Creature - Weird {U}
2/3
Why isn't this an Eye! It's important for a hybrid card to make sense as both its colors, and the flying part does not feel red. It has a cool feel - it's definitely weird - but overall it feels busy and inelegant.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Enchantment (M)
I don't know if this this card contradicts itself with its rules text or not. It seems like it would nullify its own triggered ability. There's a lot going on here, and the second triggered ability is ripe for memory issues. A busy card isn't necessarily bad, but this just feels like a lot of hoopla to flood the battlefield with enchantments. Is that something black would do?
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Sorcery (U)
I think this might be a little undercosted compared to other cards with similar effects, but this isn't a development challenge. For the sake of elegance/symmetry, {gw}{gw}{gw}{gw} would have been a more appealing (but no more balanced) cost. Two abilities that interact with each other more (like deathtouch and first strike or double strike and lifelink (though then it shouldn't be green)) would have been more interesting. I also feel like the mana cost clauses don't fit in the spirit of designing a hybrid card - where the effects have to make sense in both colors. Overall not terribly exciting, but I guess appropriate for uncommon.
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Enchantment (R)
The hexproof timing is weird. How does having situational hexproof during combat but not the rest of my turn help? The abilities make sense in both green and blue, so that's fine, but I'm not sure we've seen the piracy effect extended to planeswalkers. Not sure if there's a reason for that actually...
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Proud Lion
Creature - Cat (r)
3/3
Pretty straightforward. I like the nod to our other green and white cat friends. Makes sense as a hyrbid. Has good 'pride' flavor. Well done.
top 3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock - for their brave lion
2. bravelion83 - for his rampaging rider
3. RaikouRider - for his... offense jock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

scarbo
Show
Hide
Pretty similar to Unstable Shapeshifter and Renegade Doppelganger, except that it has flash and a decent body of its own. I don't love the name.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
I like it quite a bit. 3 toughness is fairly fragile, but that's probably a good thing to avoid getting out of control.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
I *think* I get what you're going for, but I'm not sure it works and it's definitely pretty confusing. It would be a fun card if there was a way to word the ability more cleanly though.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
That's a fun, weird card (pun intended). Not very threatening at the start, but it's annoying to remove and great with pump spells. I like it.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Man, that's a pretty fiddly card. I *love* the name, but the card just doesn't do it for me (and also I think it should be regular rare).
Daylit
Show
Hide
I don't really understand why the first ability would be useful -- are you typically using combat tricks on your unblocked creatures? If not, then why wouldn't your opponent just remove it before combat? Without that ability it's just a hard-to-cast Toski, Bearer of Secrets without the indestrucible body.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Simple and strong. I like it. Begging for flavor text though.
T3
Show
Hide
1. bravelion83
2. MonoRedMage
3. Henlock

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Only top, will crit if I make it in time.
1. scarbo
2. RaikouRaider
3. slimytrout

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

scarbo: This is a very nice Simic gold card you've designed. Unfortunately this effect is 100% a pie break in green by current color pie standards. Many designers feel green should have access to some type of limited clone effect, but as it stands right now, this kind of effect has to be on a gold card.

bravelion83: While not required to be blocked, it sure feels like it, putting your opponent very much on a "use or lose it" position with their guys. Could use an extra point of toughness, given that this is a color-restrictive five drop. As-is, this is quite a Limited bomb, but won't make a splash in Constructed formats.

MonoRedMage: This seems like a fantastic concept in paper, growing bigger whenever it's targeted with something. The only glaring problem, and it's a big one, is this probably could not be printed due to its interaction with storm cards. Maybe room for one line of flavor text?

void_nothing: This is a pretty cool Lich/Necro variant as an Orzhov gold card. I would give you first place for this design except what you have designed is a gold card, not a hybrid card. The last ability is 100% a pie break in white. Minor nitpick: Mana value, not converted mana cost.

slimytrout: Other than the name feeling like a Gruul card than a Selesnya card, this is fantastic. Limited bomb for certain, and probably playable in Standard-powered formats as well.

Daylit: Conditional hexproof attached to Coastal Piracy, while never done before, is certainly something that could be put on a green card. Precedent indicates this is costed correctly.

Henlock: The only blemish is this really should have flavor text on it. Otherwise this card is exquisite. With flavor text on it, this is an easy number one. This is what hybrid rares should look like.

1) slimytrout
2) Henlock
3) bravelion83

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
scarbo - So, monogreen can definitely copy its own creatures on occasion - Bramble Sovereign, Spitting Image, populate - but I'd find it hard to argue that this is at all a green card. Imho it's monoblue all the way.

bravelion83 - Sure. Pretty simple - almost a green "double strike" variant - and strong Limited stuff.

RaikouRider - Someone been playing Stonebrow, Krosan Hero EDH? Another crazy Limited bomb (if you could ever open it) - packed full of abilities but they kind of all drive at the same point. Charging Tuskodon inspired as well?

MonoRedMage - I respect this design: Red only really gets flyers when they're big, so once this card gets to be big, it turns into a flyer. It also has a pseudohexproof (I guess it'd now be a ward) that feels partly red. A unique design with a hybrid feel to it that also seems like it'd be fun to play.

slimytrout - I smell a cycle! I like hybrid enhanced spells and having to pay the most color-saturated cost possible to get the full bonus is a design idea I like. Very solid mass pump spell that's rarity-appropriate.

Daylit - Sure! I love the flavor here and the hexproof ability, while niche, is going to be useful. Mostly this is a Coastal Piracy though.

Henlock - The unfortunate thing about triggered indestructible is that it can just be responded to - it's of course still good for combat but it's useless vs. instant speed creature destruction of any kind. Nice "soul sister" variant sort of thing though.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. RaikouRider
3. MonoRedMage
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Just a top 3.

1 - Daylit
2 - Henlock
3 - bravelion83

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The evaluation period is closed!
The advancing contestanst are: