March CCL Round 2: Different Shades

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

CCL March Round 2/Signups

"Different Shades"

Banner based on Dead // Gone, by Wizards of the Coast and Tomas Giorello.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Color Combinations Month here in the CCL! During this month, we will be slowly increasing our horizons regarding mixes of the five colors of Magic.

Challenge
Design a monocolored split card.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Both sides need to be of the same color.
  • Split cards can be classic split, with fuse or with aftermath; more on split cards can be found here.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, March 16th, 12:00 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (March 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due March 19th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (March 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due March 25th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (March 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due March 31th)
  • Final (April, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

note
Show
Hide
The hardest part of this is finding a good unused name. I've just spent like one hour searching google for names, then I designed the card in just a few seconds as I found the name.
Above 1U
Sorcery (U)
Until your next turn, target creature you control gains flying and "This creature can block only creatures with flying."
Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)

//

Beyond 3UU
Sorcery (U)
Draw cards equal to the number of creatures with flying you control.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

scarbo
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by scarbo » 3 years ago

Fear Xb
Sorcery (R)
Until end of turn, creatures you control get +X/+0 and can't be blocked except by X or more additional creatures.
//Fuse//
Loathing bb
Sorcery (R)
Creatures you control gain deathtouch and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card."
Last edited by scarbo 3 years ago, edited 7 times in total.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Stop 1W
Instant {U}
Tap up to two target creatures. Prevent all damage those creatures would deal this turn.
//
Go 1W
Instant {U}
Creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain first strike until end of turn.
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

(After any side is cast, the caster marks it and their opponents may cast the other side for any color of mana during their turn)

Rule 2W
Sorcery (Rare)
Your opponents can't cast spells, attack and block this turn.
/// Duality (Then mark this side and exile this card. During your opponents' turns, they may cast the other side of this card and they may spend any color of mana.) ///
Out 2W
Sorcery (Rare)
Exile each creature until a player cast a spell named Rule.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

True 3U
Sorcery (U)
Look at the top three cards of your library. Put two of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library.
////
Form 3U
Sorcery (U)
Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)
Create an X/X blue Elemental creature token, where X is the number of cards in your hand.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Less then a half of the round left! Get your entries in!

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

Break 1G
Instant(R)
Each opponent sacrifices a noncreature artifact or a noncreature enchantment
//
Escape 3GG
Instant (R)
Create a 3/3 green Ape creature token for each noncreature permanent put into a graveyard from the battlefield this turn.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Room
Sorcery (R)
Destroy all nonland permanents.
////
Grow
Sorcery (R)
Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Appear 3U
Instant (R)
Create a 3/3 blue Weird creature token with defender and flying. Scry equal to the number of creatures you control. Exile the token at the beginning of the next end step.
///
Depart 2U
Instant (R)
Each player returns a creature, a land, and a noncreature, nonland permanent they control to their owners' hands.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Spur R
Instant {R}
Untap target creature. That creature attacks or blocks this turn if able.
//
Action 3RR
Instant {R}
Aftermath
Action deals X damage to target creature and that creature's controller, where X is the number of attacking and blocking creatures.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Austerity 1ww
Instant (r)
Exile target permanent with converted mana cost 4 or greater.
//
Posterity 1ww
Instant (r)
Return target permanent card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Less then a day left!

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The round is closed.

bravelion83
scarbo
RaikouRider
netn10
slimytrout
Daylit
Venedrex {forfeited}
void_nothing
MonoRedMage
Henlock

Please critique seven contestants above you, looping if necessary, and create a top 3 out of them.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
bravelion83 - Above does have multiple utilities but at sorcery speed it's never going to be played on its own for two mana. I like Beyond a lot and the whole thing is a tight package.

scarbo - Fear looks absolutely absurd especially as a split card half. I feel like it'd have to cost about XBBB. As-is it scales very easily into every creature you control is HUGE/n and basically unblockable, which is of course game-ending. (Fear's also already used as a name.) I love this menace variant design though. Loathing looks good.

RaikouRider - Sure! Like both halves and how they work together. Go might be too strong in Limited.

netn10 - Innovative stuff but really complicated. Split card as a drawback seems... hard to balance and cost. I like the interplay of the halves a whole lot but this card is hard to figure out.

slimytrout - YES! Perfect in every way. You nailed the aftermath naming convention, and particularly the wordplay that the best split cards have. True being sort of a solo Fact or Fiction is a great and I hope intentional reference.

Daylit - Really really cool mechanically - I like how both halves do something new but not overcomplicated. However I'm not buying "Break" and "Escape" as a pair of words that are associated.

Henlock - Rhyming works for me as a source for new names. Both halves here are good but I always feel like split cards that have the same mana cost could just be modal.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. Daylit
3. bravelion83
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Stop 1W
Instant {U}
Tap up to two target creatures. Prevent all damage those creatures would deal this turn.
//
Go 1W
Instant {U}
Creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain first strike until end of turn.
This strikes me as a card I wouldn't like to play against, especially if fused. Also, the damage prevention looks a little redundant to me, you're already tapping the creatures, how do they deal damage (except corner cases of course)? The name is good and fits the card well, which is not a given in this round, and I feel like that's the best thing about this card. Minor note: fuse should be written in both halves, like Gatherer does.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Rule 2W
Sorcery (Rare)
/// Duality (Then mark this side and exile this card. During your opponents' turns, they may cast the other side of this card and they may spend any color of mana.) ///
Out 2W
Sorcery (Rare)
I wanted to quote your post and I accidentally hit the thank button instead. Oh, well, I guess you can use an extra thank you! About the actual card, I'm not a fan of it. The name doesn't respect the "and" convention, and duality sounds to me as it has complicated logistics (how do you mark the card without altering it?), and then as I read it I expected a "you may cast" and I went "they?!?" There is also a missing "s": "until a player casts a spell named Rule." I like the idea of linking the two halves together, but I think fuse does a much better job at that than duality.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
True 3U
Sorcery (U)
Look at the top three cards of your library. Put two of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library.
////
Form 3U
Sorcery (U)
Create an X/X blue Elemental creature token, where X is the number of cards in your hand.
The name is good and respects the "to" convention for aftermath. The synergy is clearly there. Maybe I would have liked this more if True cost one less mana but only got you one card. That way, you could go turn three True and turn four Form.
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Break 1G
Instant(R)
//
Escape 3GG
Instant (R)
Create a 3/3 green Ape creature token for each noncreature permanent put into a graveyard from the battlefield this turn.
Is "break and escape" a real English saying? It makes sense, but I've never heard it. The abilities are good, they fit the names, and have synergy. Minor notes: fuse should be written in both halves, like Gatherer does. A period is missing at the end of Break's rules text.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Appear 3U
Instant (R)
Create a 3/3 blue Weird creature token with defender and flying. Scry equal to the number of creatures you control. Exile the token at the beginning of the next end step.
///
Depart 2U
Instant (R)
Each player returns a creature, a land, and a noncreature, nonland permanent they control to their owners' hands.
Like the previous card, "appear and depart" makes sense but I don't think it's a real English saying. You can't say "scry equal to...", it should be "scry X, where X is equal to..." Scry being tied to the number of creatures you control feels more green than blue to me, but blue can still certainly do it. The same goes for creating a temporary token, that feels more red to me than blue, but again, blue can do it. It's ironic that I just said that I could see Appear as red-green, the enemies of blue. As for Depart, it's the kind of card that I personally would hate played against me: I took multiple turns to develop my board and now most of it is suddenly gone. I can rebuild it, but it will take me more turns that I could and should have used to attack you. Nothing wrong with the card, it's just not my personal preference.
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Spur R
Instant {R}
//
Action 3RR
Instant {R}
Aftermath
Action deals X damage to target creature and that creature's controller, where X is the number of attacking and blocking creatures.
What a surprise, the mono red mage making a mono red card! :) Don't worry, that's coming from a fellow red mage. I like playing mono red too. Not only it, but it's one of my favorite weapons in my arsenal. The name makes sense with the "to" convention for aftermath. Problem: untapping creatures is not mono red, and red doesn't get the "I untap and block" option, that's more green or white. "I untap and attack" looks useful only if there is an activated ability with tap in the cost, I tap to use the ability, then untap and attack. Otherwise, your creature will just untap regularly in the untap step and be ready to attack anyway, without you needing Spur. But wait, you can play Spur on your opponent's creature. In duel, I don't see the upside of Spurring your opponent's creature and have it attack you. In multiplayer, now we're talking. You can Spur an opponent's creature and hoping it attacks another opponent. Action is good and I have no problems with it.
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Austerity 1ww
Instant (r)
//
Posterity 1ww
Instant (r)
Return target permanent card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
The name is good with the "and", but because the two names are opposite of each other, not because it's an English saying, or at least not that I know it. I really like the simplicity and the effectiveness of Austerity, and also the mirror between the two halves.
Top 3
1st place: Henlock
2nd place: Daylit
3rd place: slimytrout
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

scarbo

Post by scarbo » 3 years ago

critiques
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago

Above 1U
Sorcery (U)
Until your next turn, target creature you control gains flying and "This creature can block only creatures with flying."

//

Beyond 3UU
Sorcery (U)
Draw cards equal to the number of creatures with flying you control.
I would have liked this a lot more if Above had given all your creatures flying. Then it would be on par with Collective Unconscious. Still, the potential power level is above uncommon. For a draw spell, it feels week in blue, but maybe that's why you kept it at uncommon.
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Austerity 1ww
Instant (r)
//
Posterity 1ww
Instant (r)
"Austerity and posterity" isn't exactly an English idiom, but I suppose the words are similar enough. Both sides are quite strong. I'm glad you didn't give it fuse because the synergy isn't there. Overall a cute if unexciting design.
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Spur R
Instant {R}
//
Action 3RR
Instant {R}
Aftermath
Card titles check out. Cool synergy. I think Action should hit a creature or player only. Both is quite strong.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Appear 3U
Instant (R)
///
Depart 2U
Instant (R)
I understand what you mean in Appear, but I think rules-wise it should be phrased using Scry X. Depart feels super powerful. I think you would have more success keeping it simpler - each player bounces a creature - and reduced the cost.
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Break 1G
Instant(R)
//
Escape 3GG
Instant (R)
I don't know if you needed to specify noncreature here - maybe you were trying to differentiate between Tribute to the Wild. Escape feels odd. I wish it created 1/1 tokens instead and didn't specify noncreature, kind of like Cobra Trap. I think I get the flavor you were going for though - apes breaking out of artificial constructs. Not bad, just needs some polishing.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
True 3U
Sorcery (U)
////
Form 3U
Sorcery (U)
Nice synergy, nice flavor, nice card titles. True's ability feels ... I don't know, foreign? Looking at the top 4 cards of your library is more often what we see. Overall, well done.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
(After any side is cast, the caster marks it and their opponents may cast the other side for any color of mana during their turn)

Rule 2W
Sorcery (Rare)
Out 2W
Sorcery (Rare)
I'm not sure I like duality. It's a mechanic that doesn't lend itself well to common cards. That's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but it creates some memory issues that could have been solved by allowing it to be cast only during the opponent's next turn. Out is just begging to break the game. And Rule's ability does not make sense at sorcery speed.
top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. MonoRedMage
3. Henlock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

1. RaikouRider
2. Henlock
3. MonoRedMage

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Boy did this ever run away from me.

T3:

1) bravelion83
2) MonoRedMage
3) slimytrout

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

in progress
Show
Hide

Monoredmage: Spur is a tough effect to place within the color pie, since I agree that is something that should cost less than.one mana. I think red is indeed the best fit. White does has its share of combat manipulation too. You are forcing the creature to engage in combat and that's a good way to deal with small utility creatures. Action needa a critical mass of creaturea in combat to be dangerous,but think it it is a bit too expensive to find room in an aggro deck and that balances it a bit. I oike it more as a control effect.

Voidnothing: I like the Tidal Wave effect, but I tjink this one is a bit expensive. That said, I think the Depart part is really powerful. Thing rings a couple of bells to me. In pauper, I play curfew quite a bit and I slip Churning Eddy into some of my decks. This is like the upgraded version for other formats and can really set your opponent back. I think that returning a land to your hand is a real cost here.

Daylit: Given the ability green has to destroy artifacts and enchantments Break looks a bit ineffective. I don't know how often will the opponent have a chance of choosing between the two, The Fresh Meat effect for noncreatures is very nice, and syneegizes very well with the other side.
Can't finiah crits, aorry

1. RaikouRaider
2. monoredmage
3. voidnothing

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The signups are closed!
Top 8 players that will advance:

Henlock
scarbo
bravelion83