March CCL Round 1: Clean Slate

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

CCL March Round 1/Signups

"Clean Slate"

Banner based on Ugin's Conjurant and Scion of Ugin, by Wizards of the Coast, Ryan Yee and Cliff Childs respectively.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Color Combinations Month here in the CCL! During this month, we will be slowly increasing our horizons regarding mixes of the five colors of Magic.

Challenge
Design a nonland, nonartifact card that has no colored mana in its casting cost.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • The card may contain , or no symbol at all in its mana cost.
  • It may contain any symbols in its ruletext.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Monday, March 8th, 12:00 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (March 8th-15th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due March 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (March 18th–21nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due March 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (March 23th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due March 30th)
  • Final (April, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

I assume that generic mana is also fine.

Ugin's Influence 4
Enchantment (R)
You may look at the top card of your library any time.
You may play lands and cast colorless spells from the top of your library. (You can play a land this way only if you have an available land play remaining. If you cast a spell this way, you still pay its costs.)
3: Scry 1.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

scarbo
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by scarbo » 3 years ago

Renege
Instant (R)
Counter target spell.
Flashback uu
Cycling 1u
Last edited by scarbo 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Lore of the Ancients 8
Instant (Common)
Draw two cards, then return up to two target cards from your graveyard to your hand.
"The Eldrazi's heart still pulses beneath Zendikar's soil, forever changing the course of the land. I will reveal the heart once again."
- The Pilgrim's Decree

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Refinement of Flame
(Red) Sorcery {R}
If a source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player, you may shuffle Refinement of Flame from your graveyard into your library. If you do, that source deals double that damage instead and the damage can't be prevented.
Cycling 2RR
Reinforce 1 - 3RR

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

Dustbloom Processor 2C
Creature - Eldrazi Processor (U)
Kicker G or Put a card an opponent owns from exile into their graveyard
When this creature enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, search your library for up to two land cards named "Wastes", put them onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
3/2

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Cowmeleon
Creature - Ox Lizard ()(u)
Whenever this creature mutates, it becomes of the color of your choice until end of turn.
Mutate 0
2/2

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Pact of the Psion 0
{U/B} Instant {R}
Exile the top twenty cards from your library face down, then draw three cards.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay 3UB. If you can't, you lose the game.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

There will be an extension to 9th March, 12:00 EST (about 20 hours at the time of writing). After that moment the round will be closed whether or not any new participants will come.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Glimmering Runestone
Artifact (U)
Foretell 0
T: Add one mana of any color.
Vartuld brushed the snow off the stone, and realized that he had seen it before -- in his own dreams.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Ancient Erne 4
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
You may cast spells that target Ancient Erne as though they had flash and they cost 2 less to cast.
"There's a reason the basic shape of a wing has never changed no matter how much the winged creatures do." - Kinnan, bonder prodigy
2/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Kozilek's Advocate 9
Creature - Eldrazi (Uncommon)
When you cast this spell, search target player's library for up to three cards and exile them. Then that player shuffles their library.
Annihilator 1
9/12
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

haywire

Post by haywire » 3 years ago

Fate's Inexorable
Creature - Angel Warrior (Color Identifier White) {R}
Suspend 3 -
Flying
Fate's Inexorable attacks each turn if possible.
Whenever Fate's Inexorable would die, instead exile it with 3 time counters on it. If it died during combat, exile it with 1 time counter on it instead.
3/1

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The round is closed!
Please provide critiques for 7 contestants below you and provide top 3 from among them.

bravelion83
scarbo
netn10
MonoRedMage
Daylit
Henlock
RaikouRider
slimytrout
void_nothing
kwanyeegor-ii
haywire

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Done.
Critiques
Show
Hide
scarbo wrote:
3 years ago
Renege
Instant (R)
Counter target spell.
Flashback uu
Cycling 1u
Very good start. High synergy between the keywords, you can use this to draw a card and then have a counterspell available, both things a control deck wants. Your opponent will see it coming when you have this in your graveyard though, but I like that. It's like an additional hidden cost. Having no mana cost means you won't be able to counter two spells with one card, which is good. I also love how elegant this card is, it does so much with only five words. Very good candidate for my first place, let's see the others.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Lore of the Ancients 8
Instant (Common)
Draw two cards, then return up to two target cards from your graveyard to your hand.
"The Eldrazi's heart still pulses beneath Zendikar's soil, forever changing the course of the land. I will reveal the heart once again."
- The Pilgrim's Decree
This is a four-for-one. Ok, it costs a lot of mana, rightly, but it's still a lot, and it's common. I'm not sure how much I like seeing this at common. The effect also screams "green-blue" to me, not colorless, though it's certainly not a break. The flavor is good, but the mechanics might be a little too pushed, especially at common. Minor note: just like the type line, the flavor text attribution wants an em dash with no spaces right afterwards.
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Refinement of Flame
(Red) Sorcery {R}
If a source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player, you may shuffle Refinement of Flame from your graveyard into your library. If you do, that source deals double that damage instead and the damage can't be prevented.
Cycling 2RR
Reinforce 1 - 3RR
I've had to read this multiple times to understand the point of the card, having multiple means to put it into your graveyard and use it from there for the main effect. Now I've got it, but I don't really like that there are two ways of discarding this that kinda fight each other. What do you prefer, a card or a +1/+1 counter? Beware, you can't have both! You have to choose! I think a card is the correct answer most of the times, and it's the keyword that costs less. I would have probably reversed the costs. I think a card is worth more than a +1/+1 counter, and I don't like the tension that this creates between the keywords. Minor note: I think you have to place the "instead" before: "...into your library instead. If you do, that source deals double that damage and the damage can't be prevented." At least, this is how I would have worded this, but unfortunately I'm not a real MTG editor. (I'd really like to be...)
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Dustbloom Processor 2C
When this creature enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, search your library for up to two land cards named "Wastes", put them onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
3/2
Ok so, long story short, if I kick this I get to search two Wastes at the cost of a land and a processed card or a green mana. I still get up only one land, which is good. I like the colored kicker on a colorless card as a way to avoid the "any deck can play this" problem, but then you put a way to go around that colored cost right away! Ok, it still require you to find a way to exile a card of your opponent's, but you can play this card fully in every deck. I would have liked this more with just the colored kicker. Of course, it couldn't have been a Processor then, but flavor is easier to adjust than mechanics. Minor notes: the word "put" should not have been capitalized, and you should have used the card's name instead of "this creature".
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Cowmeleon
Whenever this creature mutates, it becomes of the color of your choice until end of turn.
Mutate 0
2/2
First, the name made me laugh. I mean it in a good way. It's a very good pun, with the appropriate creature types. Here it's correct to use "this creature" instead of the card's name, as we saw in Ikoria. This can go under another creature, in which case that creature gets the ability technically. A card that you can only use to mutate is a good choice for the challenge. I would have probably done it if I had thought of that. Serious candidate for my top 3.
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Pact of the Psion 0
{U/B} Instant {R}
Here, this is one thing I have pondered myself for this challenge: make a new Pact, in the sense of the cycle from Future Sight. This isn't what I would have probably come up with, at a glance, but let's read it better... Twenty?!? That's a lot of cards to essentially mill to exile... And the reward is drawing three cards. Ok, free Recall at a huge cost. I see it, but it sounds dangerous to me. Ok, you still have to pay five mana next turn, but... I don't know. One is too high, and I can't understand if it's the number of milled cards, or that of drawn cards. It's like I hear a dissonance, but I don't understand from where it comes. Overall I'm not a fan of this card, but I like the idea of making a new Pact.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Glimmering Runestone
Artifact (U)
Foretell 0
Vartuld brushed the snow off the stone, and realized that he had seen it before -- in his own dreams.
Oh, here it is! The third card for my top 3. I really like this. Foretell is a good way to use no mana cost. It's essentially a pseudo-land and I really like this idea. The only thing I don't like is that everyone and every color can play this, but in the color pie, only red and green have mana ramp. It's still true that in Ixalan, Treasures were also blue and black, in Pirate colors (Grixis). That's the only remark I have about this card.
Top 3
1st place: scarbo
2nd place: Henlock
3rd place: slimytrout
Last edited by bravelion83 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
I assume that generic mana is also fine.

Ugin's Influence 4
Enchantment (R)
You may look at the top card of your library any time.
You may play lands and cast colorless spells from the top of your library. (You can play a land this way only if you have an available land play remaining. If you cast a spell this way, you still pay its costs.)
3: Scry 1.
So more-or-less this is a stronger Mystic Forge. I didnt really enjoy mystic forge when it came out, i only managed to squeeze it in into a single commander deck. I know it did well in older formats, which makes me think that increasing its strength (not only by making it hit lands but also being an enchantment dodging more removal) is a bad idea.
Furthermore, the main part where this card differs from mystic forge, futuresighting lands, should be a green effect only. I am really against printing colorless cards at lower mana costs that do color-specific effects.
Otherwise not a bad desgin, but the parts I'm ok with have been done already
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Cowmeleon
Mutate 0
2/2
Nice pun and an appropriately minor effect for a free card. I believe mutate didn't end up being strong enough that pushing it with a free mutate trigger card would break it in any way. Notably, this card can make a 1 mana 3/3 using this and mysterious egg, but i believe making a 1 mana 3/3 with two cards was possible beforehand. All in all, i like this. Mutate deserved better.
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Pact of the Psion 0
{U/B} Instant {R}
Oh boy. I am not against printing more pact effects, but their drawback means very little when you consistently win before your next turn.
I have seen this card before, with different numbers. I believe it was called Pot of Desires, and was a yugioh card. And while such an effect in the realm of free interaction and powerful otk combos is a legit inclusion, getting similar one-turn kill decks in Magic the option to just draw three for free makes them infinitely more consistent and dangerous. Its not fun to play against those decks. It could also be just free extension for a super-fast blitz build, they would also be able to make more turn two or turn three kills way more often.
The exile twenty is barely a drawback. In fact, it digs so deep into your deck, that the sequence of t1 Hedron Crab turn 2 Pact of Psion Pact of Psion land Thassa's oracle is i believe also exactly a win. Pretty troublesome and too overpowered
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Glimmering Runestone
Artifact (U)
Foretell 0
Nice use of foretell. I think that such a mana rock is ok in EDH, I don't know how good it would be in other formats, but i suspect its still fine. Even if it becomes an autoinclude in all edh decks next to arcane signet.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Ancient Erne 4
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
You may cast spells that target Ancient Erne as though they had flash and they cost 2 less to cast.
"There's a reason the basic shape of a wing has never changed no matter how much the winged creatures do." - Kinnan, bonder prodigy
2/2
I like it enough. Colorless creatures should be ideally a bit overcosted when synergies aren't included, and a good target for combat tricks and auras is interesting enough for me to try it in at least a wacky edh build.
haywire wrote:
3 years ago
Fate's Inexorable
Creature - Angel Warrior (Color Identifier White) {R}
Suspend 3 -
Flying
Fate's Inexorable attacks each turn if possible.
Whenever Fate's Inexorable would die, instead exile it with 3 time counters on it. If it died during combat, exile it with 1 time counter on it instead.
3/1
While i am aware that each color got a similar "exile with time counters" style effect in future sight, the fact that this is an attacking-only evasive, reanimating threat makes me think of more a red or black card than a white card. Also, since suspend also grants it haste, exiling it with only 1 time counter i believe isn't nearly enough
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Kozilek's Advocate 9
Creature - Eldrazi (Uncommon)
When you cast this spell, search target player's library for up to three cards and exile them. Then that player shuffles their library.
Annihilator 1
9/12
This is just an Artisan of Kozilek with slightly different numbers and a different effect. The effect is, while ok, doesn't really affect the board, and with only annihilator 1 this isn't that splashy card, i wouldn't include it in my limited decks. But in a commander deck i might run it as a monster that also disarms someone's combo potential. Would be nice to have it, but otherwise not that unique.
Top 3
1 Henlock
2 slimytrout
3 void_nothing

scarbo

Post by scarbo » 3 years ago

critiques
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Lore of the Ancients 8
Instant (Common)
- The Pilgrim's Decree
It's balanced. It can be powerful in decks that would use it (Tron). It has Eldrazi flare. It's just lacking ooph. Like I almost wish there were a colorless clause in there, either in the mana cost or something with the graveyard. Maybe it's unfair to expect too much from a common. Overall, a fine design.
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Refinement of Flame
(Red) Sorcery {R}
Cycling 2RR
Reinforce 1 - 3RR
I'm no level 3 judge, but this begins as though it were a replacement effect. I guess it still is a replacement effect (no "instead"), but it might be more elegant as a triggered ability. Technicalities aside, this has some major abuse potential. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to check. I feel like the cycling ability is almost always going to be the preferred mode, which is odd since it costs less. The reinforce one really only translates to 2 extra damage, so the cost feels high from that interpretation, too. The recursion is interesting, though. I feel like there's some design space for burn to explore here.
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Dustbloom Processor 2C
3/2
I'm glad you included colorless in the mana cost to prevent Ponza from abusing it. That said, I'm sure Ponza could find a way to abuse it. I wonder if there's much value in the sacrifice clause. You could achieve more elegance if it only allowed searching for one Wastes. I suppose it does help thin G Tron's deck out more that way. A perfectly fine, if unexciting, design.
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Cowmeleon
Mutate 0
2/2
This is an interesting way of circumventing a mana-costless card. The color effect is only nominally useful but imparts a nice flavor. I admittedly stopped playing standard at Ikoria as protest to companions, so I don't have much experience playing with mutate, but I like everything that's going on here. Nicely done.
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Pact of the Psion 0
{U/B} Instant {R}
I'm left wondering why the exile is necessary and therefore why this is black. Inverter of Truth decks perhaps? The don't-lose cost might be a little low compared to similar effects. So, sure, it's fine, but it's not original. The Pact design was original, but putting new effects into the same format isn't.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Glimmering Runestone
Artifact (U)
Foretell 0
OK, so you're adhering to the established balancing act that we don't get this effect until turn 3. That's an interesting way of utilizing foretell, but having an artifact that produces any color mana is nothing new. Again, fine, but unexciting.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Ancient Erne 4
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
2/2
I almost wish this had heroic. Even without it, it does invite some very enticing abuse. Still, its toughness and hefty mana cost make it difficult to use in any constructed format, which its ability seems to suggest. Now if you had expanded it to activated abilities (and therefore Equip), we could have a lot of fun. Still, I think it's an interesting untapped design space.
top 3:
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. void_nothing
3. MonoRedMage

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Visibility bump.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
bravelion83 - This is a very self-synergistic design, but I get the feeling it's too strong compared to the closest comparison, Mystic Forge, which is already a good card.

scarbo - Surprised this exact design wasn't in Time Spiral block because that's what it seems straight out of. Super clean, "obvious", Spike bait par excellence, but I'm afraid the cycling cost is too low - it's so easy to chamber a two-mana counter as-is.

netn10 - At common I feel like this one needs to be a sorcery, no matter the context. Yes, Scour from Existence is common but exiling a permanent is a considerably simpler effect than this one. Still, I think this is a clean Eldrazi-instant design.

MonoRedMage - An odd and fun little design that reminds me of nothing so much as Yidaro, Wandering Monster. The reinforce mode looks like a fun pseudo-double strike granter.

Daylit - So so many elements to this card for, well, a Wastes Harrow. It's not TOO complicated per se, it's just complicated for what it is.

kwanyeegor-ii - Sure. Super serviceable stuff. This could have been a ROE Eldrazi. Nothing out of the ordinary nor that exciting, it's just a solid example of something that already exists.

haywire - Very neat. Kind of want this to be RW - must-attack isn't all that white. It's not horrendously out of place in monowhite however.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. scarbo
3. haywire
HM: MonoRedMage
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Will come back and do critiques if I have time:

1. scarbo
2. netn10
3. void_nothing

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Quick Crits
Show
Hide

Raikou Raider: A pact, and a very powerful one. Every combo deck with a winning turn will run this.

slimytrout: Hidden cost of 2 plus time. Nice Manalith variant

voidnothing: While overcosted I see a solid limited pick here. Evasion and a chance of slapping tricks at instant speed at a reduced cost makes this a card to heed.

kwanyegor: I always liked effects that take cards off oponent's libraries and I think this is veey fit for Eldrazi as a kind of upgraded ingest.

Haywire: This feels like it should have been a red phoenix.

Bravelion: I think that flavor alone here justifies it being an enchantment and I am all for it. I do think this is a bit too powerful.

scarbo: Very simple design. I like it a lot. I would tinker the costs around a bit so as to keep it in chwck in swlf-mill decks.

netn10z I don't think regrowth effects belong at common to bw honest. but there has been some in the past. 4 carda for 8 mana seems right,

1. Kwanyegor
2. scarbo
2. slimytrout
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Boy did this ever run away from me.

T3:

1) bravelion83
2) void_nothing
3) scarbo

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”