Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Today's Challenge:
Folklore

.::To Enter::.
In a single post:
  • Name exactly two other players to vote for their entries for the previous challenge. (In the event that there are two or fewer entries that you are allowed to vote for, you may vote for only one.)
  • Make a card that fits the current challenge.
  • Include an "If I Win" (IIW) for tomorrow's challenge if you win.
Each day we use the challenge of the previous day's winner. In the case of a tie, we'll use the IIW of the tied player who has least overall points. In case of a further tie, the IIW of the earlier poster will be used.

.::Scoring::.
JovialJovian 32 (+5)
void_nothing 25 (+0)
dyd 24 (+2)
netn10 22 (+3)
Ink-Treader 20
OneAndOnly 12
Riria 12 (+2)
Daylit 7 (+1)
FoilSquared 5
bravelion83 1 (+1)
.::Note of the Day::.

.::Yesterday's Submissions::.
Cryptids
dyd wrote:
3 years ago
Votes: JovialJovian, netn10

Mothman 2bb
Legendary Creature - Human Insect
Flash
Flying
When another creature enters the battlefield, if Mothman entered the battlefield this turn and was cast, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
Foretell 2b
2/2

IIW: ocean
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
thoughts
Show
Hide
I thought Cryptids were things like Worms and such in real Magic, not what I've discovered them to be when I read the linked Wikipedia page, so thanks to void_nothing for posting that link. Otherwise, my mind would have been taken in a completely different and wrong way. And I only knew about five of those monsters in that huge list. Let's go with one I didn't know before but that immediately caught my attention. I thought about making it a Viashino, but a Lizard Man being a Lizard Human just feels right to me.
Votes: JovialJovian, dyd

Lizard Man of the Swamp 1BR
Legendary Creature — Lizard Human (R)
Morph 1BR (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
Foretell 2BR (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost.)
Whenever Lizard Man of the Swamp enters the battlefield or is turned face up, if it was morphed, manifested, or foretold, destroy up to one target artifact, up to one target creature, and up to one target land.
3/3

IIW: Wizards (the creature type)

EDIT: responses (because there is not a discussion thread for this) @JovialJovian @void_nothing
responses to JovialJovian and void_nothing
Show
Hide
JovialJovian wrote:
3 years ago
I guess I assumed most people knew what cryptids were from the popularity of Bigfoot.
I knew some of them but didn't know they had a collective name. And anyway, here in Italy only the Loch Ness monster and the yeti are very well known. All the others I knew were from other sources: the chupacabra from Magic itself (if it weren't for Ravenous Chupacabra in RIX I wouldn't know what a chupacabra is), the Kraken too (I know it became famous thanks to some movies, though don't ask me what those movies are, I'm not a movie fan. I mostly know what a Kraken is thanks to Theros), or even LoadingReadyRun (them mentioning Bigfoot and Ogopogo in some streams, I had heard of Bigfoot before but not Ogopogo, and from what I got from them I thought that Bigfoot and the Ogopogo were the same thing. I guess they aren't.) Now that I think of it, I think playing GTA, the original San Andreas from early 2000s with the hidden Bigfoot in the country near Mount Chilliad at the southwest of the map might have been the first time I heard of Bigfoot ever. All of this just to show you how different the American and European pop cultures are. I've seen it multiple times by now.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
@bravelion83 You may have thought of annelids.
Yes, probably. I was remembering the first half of the name and not the second. That's very probably it.
Riria wrote:
3 years ago
Votes: JovialJovian, dyd

Nesting Thunderbird 3RW
Creature - Bird Elemental (MR)
Flying, first strike
If an instant or sorcery you control would deal damage to a single target, it deals that much damage to up to two targets instead.
At the beginning of your end step, if Nesting Thunderbird neither entered the battlefield nor attacked this turn, create a white 0/1 Thunderbird Egg creature token. It has "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature and create a token that's a copy of Nesting Thunderbird."
3/3

IIW: Army in a can
JovialJovian wrote:
3 years ago
votes: bravelion83, netn10
I guess I assumed most people knew what cryptids were from the popularity of Bigfoot. Thanks for the reference, void_nothing, though that list is not fully comprehensive.
Case in point:

Hodag of the Rhineland 3BG
Legendary Snow Creature - Beast
Deathtouch
SS: Hodag of the Rhineland gains Trample or Indestructible until end of turn. Activate this ability no more than once each turn.
6/6

IIW: Peanuts
SPOILER
Show
Hide
@void_nothing Bah, that's just because Hodag has been "officially" debunked.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Votes: JovialJovian, Riria

Call the Cryptids 4BUG
Sorcery (Rare)
Reveal your hand and library. Put any number of creature cards you didn't revealed this way from outside the game onto the battlefield tapped.
You won't believe it until it's too late.

IIW: Card advantage in white.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Votes: JovialJovian, netn10

Elusive Yeti GG
Snow Creature - Yeti (R)
When Elusive Yeti enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Elusive Yeti unless you return another creature you control to its owner's hand.
Elusive Yeti can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less.
3S: Return Elusive Yeti to its owner's hand. If you do, scry 2. You can't cast spells named Elusive Yeti this turn.
3/3

IIW: Heraldry
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
riria daylit
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

dyd
Randomancer
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by dyd » 3 years ago

Votes: void_nothing, bravelion83 (go team Italy! 🇮🇹)

Pureheart Princess w
Creature - Human Noble
Vigilance
Whenever a player attacks you with creatures, you gain 1 life.
1/1

Enamoured Farmer 1r
Creature - Human Peasant
Haste
If you both control and own Enamoured Farmer and a permanent named Pureheart Princess, when one of them would leave the battlefield, instead exile both of them, then meld them into Reunited Lovers.
2/2

Reunited Lovers
(r/w) Creature - Spirit
Haste, flying, vigilance, lifelink
2rw: Put Reunited Lovers into your library third from the top. (Put the two cards in the order you like.)
2/2
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This is the local take on the forbidden love trope.
In the zone where I live, there is a lake, with a few medieval castles near its shores. The legend says that the daughter of one of the castle lords fell in love with a humble peasant, but she was destined to marry another noble man. The two lovers decided to run away, and were leaving on a boat, but a storm caused the boat to sink and they drowned. From that fateful night, the spirits of the two lovers can sometimes be seen dancing together over the lake.
IIW: quartz

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Vote: bravelion83, dyd

Witch of the Hut 2B
Creature - Spirit Warlock (Uncommon)
Flash
When Witch of the Hut enters the battlefield, destroy target tapped creature. If you do, create a food token.
1/3

IIW: More Phyrexians in Kaldheim.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Votes: void_nothing, dyd
dyd
Show
Hide
I'm always happy to find a fellow Italian! You're actually the second one I meet here. Let's go, team!
What in the US is known as the Bogeyman, here in Italy is called "l'uomo nero", literally "the black man". So:

The Black Man BBB
Legendary Creature — Human Horror (R)
Menace
During each combat, exactly one creature must attack you if able.
Whenever a creature attacks you, its controller loses 2 life.
Spending a night with him is the proper punishment for misbehaving.
3/3

IIW: Modal DFC
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 3 years ago

votes: dyd, Riria

Paul Bunyan 4RRGG
Legendary Creature - Giant Human
When Paul Bunyan enters the battlefield, create Babe, a legendary 4/4 blue Ox creature token with trample.
When Paul Bunyan attacks, you and defending player each sacrifice a forest.
Whenever a forest is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, add R and create a tapped colorless Island land token.
5/5

IIW: Peanuts

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Votes: Riria, netn10

Selkie Skins WU
Enchantment (R)
Creature tokens you control get +1/+1.
1WU: Exile target nontoken creature you control. If you do, create a 1/1 white and blue Merfolk Scout creature token with "This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with defender." When that token leaves the battlefield, return up to one creature card exiled with Selkie Skins to the battlefield under its owner's control.
When Selkie Skins leaves the battlefield, return each creature card exiled with it to the battlefield under its owner's control.

IIW: Focusing
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”