January MCC, Finals - The Limits of Learning

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Aeon Chronicler by Dan Dos Santos and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
January MCC, Round 4 - The Limits of Learning

Welcome to the January MCC! It's Hand Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a card that can change a player's maximum hand size.
Subchallenge 1: Your card does not contain the phrase "no maximum hand size"
Subchallenge 2: Your card is an instant or sorcery

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Wednesday, February 17th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Friday, February 19th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet!
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing

Players:
@slimytrout
@Subject16
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Brink of Despair 2BB
Sorcery (Mythic)
Target opponent chooses up to two creatures and/or planeswalkers they control, then sacrifices the rest. Until the end of your next turn, the maximum hand size of each player who sacrificed a permanent this way is one.
Overload 6BBB (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Mad with Power 2BR
Sorcery (M)
Target player takes an extra turn after this one. That player's maximum hand size becomes zero until the end of that turn.
Sanity is a small price to pay for omnipotence.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

With both of you having entered, would either finalist be opposed to me calling the round closed early and judging? @Subject16 @slimytrout
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Yeah, no objections from me. Not planning on changing my submission.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Me either, I'm happy with my submission.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sounds good. Consider the round closed - I'll be judging ASAP.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Half points for everybody. It's a bit of a half-measure for Txmmy, who doesn't want their opponent to probably still have their two best permanents, and Jxnny finds it kind of blunt except for Megrim.dek. Spike sees something that can, frankly, whiff, but is very strong when casting against someone with a full hand AND board.
(2/3) Elegance - There is quite a bit going on here and the addition of overload further complicates it.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look right, although this wouldn't be WRONG at rare per se.
(3/3) Balance - This feels kind of swingy as noted above. That is mitigated by the fact that even in the most powerful cases for this card, opponents hopefully aren't going to be losing a lot of cards in hand if they're doing a lot of sacrificing and vice versa.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Bit of an odd mashup card sort of combining Archfiend of Despair and Monomania. The "multiplayerizing" overload is an interesting idea.
(2/3) Flavor - The name and effect aren't fully clicking together. I guess the point of the "Brink" in the name is leaving your opponent with a tiny amount, in this case two of their creature/planeswalkers and one card in hand, but that'd seem to fit better with both numbers being one as it were.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - And done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Done.

Total: 20/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Total home run. Txmmy likes the big-deal feel, Jxnny has a lot to do with this, Spike likes the power potential.
(3/3) Elegance - Works pretty intuitively.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - This is an extra turn with a severe drawback, but it's not AS severe as the traditional red extra turn cards are - that imho makes it questionable without blue. It's more a bend or bleed than a full-on break however. DEFINITELY mythic.
(2.5/3) Balance - No objections in fair cases - the drawbacks you incur if you're using this to either give yourself an extra turn OR to make your opponent discard are harsh. In (already sometimes degenerate) graveyard strategies, however, this could do at least silly things.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - This is an extra turn strapped to making someone discard their hand (with a delay), yes, but the intermingling is pretty dang clever.
(3/3) Flavor - Effect is pretty much exactly what I'd expect from that name.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 23/25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congrats to @slimytrout for winning January!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”