Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL January Top 4/Round 4

"Gray Spark"

Karn, Scion of Urza, taken from Quiet Speculation, by Chase Stone and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Colorless Month here in the CCL! This month will have to loosely do with things that have no color.

Challenge
Design a colorless planeswalker card.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Saturday, February 6th, 23:59 EST.
Contestants:
@slimytrout
@Rumpy5897
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Subject16

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 11th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 20th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (January 24th–27th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due January 29th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (February 3rd–6th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due February 8th)
  • Final (February, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Alesior, Awoken Machine 4
Legendary Planeswalker - Alesior {M}
Whenever an artifact you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a loyalty counter on Alesior, Awoken Machine.
0: Create a 1/1 colourless Construct artifact creature token with defender.
-2: Search your library for a Construct card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
-7: For each Construct you control, create a token that's a copy of it.
{4}

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Aabrem, Elder of Equilor 3
Legendary Planeswalker - Aabrem (M)
You may exile Aabrem, Elder of Equilor from your opening hand with three time counters on him. If you do, he gains suspend.
+1: Until your next turn, if a source would deal damage to Aabrem, prevent all but 1 of that damage.
0: Put three time counters on target nonland permanent. It gains vanishing.
-8: Exile all but one card from the top of your library. You may play those cards until end of turn.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Maash, Pilgrim of Eternities 1CC
Legendary Planeswalker — Maash (M)
Phasing
+2: Up to other target permanent you control phases out.
-2: Exile target creature until Maash next phases in.
-6: You get an emblem with "During each of your turns, you may play one card you own in exile."

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Ugin, Creator of Dragonlords 4
Legendary Planeswalker--Ugin (Mythic)
When Ugin enters the battlefield, put a loyalty counter on it for each Dragon you control and a +1/+1 counter on each Dragon you control
Whenever a Dragon enters the battlefield under your control, put a loyalty counter on Ugin and a +1/+1 counter on that Dragin
+1: Ugin deals 1 damage to target creature and 1 damage to target player
0: Sacrifice another colorless permanent. If you do, create a 1/1 colorless Dragon Spirit creature token with flying and haste
-9: Destroy all permanents you don't control that are one or more colors. You gain 1 life for each permanent destroyed in this way
Loyalty 2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And that's 4! Kindly do critique all the others and organize them into a top 3.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Notes
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Aabrem, Elder of Equilor 3
Legendary Planeswalker - Aabrem (M)
You may exile Aabrem, Elder of Equilor from your opening hand with three time counters on him. If you do, he gains suspend.
+1: Until your next turn, if a source would deal damage to Aabrem, prevent all but 1 of that damage.
0: Put three time counters on target nonland permanent. It gains vanishing.
-8: Exile all but one card from the top of your library. You may play those cards until end of turn.
From a flavour perspective, this is a nice card. You've got the Time Spirally suspend/vanishing thing going on, you've got the weird forcefield thing, the abilities don't exactly synergise with each other but that adds to the weird elder magics vibe in a way. However, from a practical point of view, this card is busted beyond belief. The plus turns it into a brutal game staller if you want to do anything meaningful to it, the fact it dispenses Reality Acids with a zero is ridiculous, and you know the ult is GG as it's out of Doubling Season range while the plus is 1. All this on a three drop. Should cost a lot more, and the Reality Acid should be a minus.
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Maash, Pilgrim of Eternities 1CC
Legendary Planeswalker — Maash (M)
Phasing
+2: Up to other target permanent you control phases out.
-2: Exile target creature until Maash next phases in.
-6: You get an emblem with "During each of your turns, you may play one card you own in exile."
The plus is missing "one" in the wording. But that's about it for the technicality police. This is a cute puzzle piece that's waiting for interesting application. Why would you want to phase a thing out with a plus? Are you going to super-slow-blink a thing of your own and hope the walker doesn't get dinged, or are you going to tempo your opponent and have them consider the ramifications of taking the walker out but losing their guy in the process? What stuff would you even cast from exile? The mana cost is likely a touch restrictive for getting this to actually show up in whatever decks try to answer those questions, but I like what's going on here.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Ugin, Creator of Dragonlords 4
Legendary Planeswalker--Ugin (Mythic)
When Ugin enters the battlefield, put a loyalty counter on it for each Dragon you control and a +1/+1 counter on each Dragon you control
Whenever a Dragon enters the battlefield under your control, put a loyalty counter on Ugin and a +1/+1 counter on that Dragin
+1: Ugin deals 1 damage to target creature and 1 damage to target player
0: Sacrifice another colorless permanent. If you do, create a 1/1 colorless Dragon Spirit creature token with flying and haste
-9: Destroy all permanents you don't control that are one or more colors. You gain 1 life for each permanent destroyed in this way
Loyalty 2
The first five ability walker? :P I understand that the point of the two triggers is to have the effect touch all the available dragons, but it makes the card feel overcrowded and my gut response is to go looking for cuts. The plus feels like a Chandra, the zero's worded a bit weirdly. I can see why from a balance perspective, as otherwise it'd be a Gideon, Ally of Zendikar that craps out fliers. Is it something from the lore that's causing the colourless sacrifice by the way? Regardless, from a purely mechanical standpoint, I'd probably lose the ETB trigger, up the cost and loyalty a bit, make the token spawning straight-up, make the damage meaningful and a minus... there are a lot of knobs on here that can be twiddled to make it stick the landing.
Top Three
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. slimytrout
3. kwanyeegor-ii

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Rumpy5897
Show
Hide
We've never had a planeswalker that straight-up copied an ability from another planeswalker. Otherwise it's ok -- the static ability is novel, but I kind of feel like we already have enough artifact planeswalkers so it's hard for me to get excited about yet another character in that space.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Huh. I guess you use the +2 on a planeswalker or creature that's already attacked/been activated? It will probably be used with no targets a little more often than I'd like, but it's not too bad. The best part of this card is the fun tension that if you minus on a valuable creature, they have an incentive not to kill Maash so they don't lock their creature away. The worst part of the card is the ultimate, which has some strong similarities to Kaya the Inexorable's, in that they both allow you to pull cards back from exile which I'm not a huge fan of.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
I wish this was more expensive and did less (but also more). It's got so much text on it, but the first two abilities are pretty fiddly, especially for Ugin. There are so few cheap dragons that this is probably looking best in a changeling deck where you can turbo out the ultimate and wipe their board. I like the idea behind this, but there has to be a more elegant way to do it.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. Rumpy5897
3. kwanyeegor-ii

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Hard to rank them bc they're all good

1 subject16
2 slimytrout
3 rumpy
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Using two different mechanics with the same counter is fun. The abilities seem fine for a three mana walker, although the delayed removal having no cost at all can be a little strong if your opponent can't get through to it.
rumpy5897
Show
Hide
Construct tribal is cute, especially since it doesn't have much support. Making tokens with defender cements their role as a defensive one, which you don't really see since most token creating walkers are used to build armies rather than protect themselves, so I like this. It definitely treads on Karn's "mechanical planeswalker" spot, but it's hard not to either if you go down the artifact route.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
This card is a dragon deck staple! The fact that it scales your dragons and scales itself with dragons that come in mean in a dedicated deck you can play Ugin with a lot of loyalty and an anthem for your big scary flyers. The +1 seems fine, very dragon-y, the second ability is actually also a +1 when you consider that the token you make is a dragon and therefore is a 2/2 hasty flyer for +1. The tradeoff is sacrificing a colorless permanent, which includes your lands so you're not short of options if you need an army. I think that second ability is too strong and a bit inelegant. The ultimate and starting loyalty are both fine considering Ugin doesn't necesseraly start on 2.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1: Rumpy5897
2: slimytrout
3: kwanyeegor-ii

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And we have three finalists this time - Rumpy5897, slimytrout, and Subject16! Round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”