Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL January Top 8/Round 3

"History of the Blade"

Blackblade Reforged, taken from magicthegathering.com, by Chris Rahn and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Colorless Month here in the CCL! This month will have to loosely do with things that have no color.

Challenge
Design a colorless legendary Equipment card.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Wednesday, January 27th, 23:59 EST.
Contestants:
@Henlock
@slimytrout
@Lorn Asbord Schutta
@OneAndOnly
@Rumpy5897
@MonoRedMage
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Subject16

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 11th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 20th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (January 24th–27th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due January 29th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (January 30th–February 2nd)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due February 4th)
  • Final (February, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Doku Din, the Soul-Eater -- CCC
Legendary Artifact - Equipment {R}
Indestructible
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Doku Din, the Soul-Eater isn't equipped, sacrifice a creature. If you can't, lose three life.
Equipped creature is a 6/6 colorless legendary Efreet creature named Doku Din with flying and indestructible.
Equip CCC
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Gerrard's Hourglass Pendant 2
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (R)
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, put a wish counter on Gerrard's Hourglass Pendant.
Remove a wish counter from Gerrard's Hourglass Pendant: Equipped creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Remove five wish counters from Gerrard's Hourglass Pendant: Take an extra turn after this one.
Equip 2

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Blade of Corruption 4
Legendary Artifact - Equipment {M}
You can't draw cards if you have one or more cards in your hand.
Equipped creature gets +5/+0 and can't be blocked.
Discard a card: Target player gains control of Blade of Corruption. They attach it to a creature they control.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Nyxweave Cloak 2
Legendary Enchantment Artifact — Equipment (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and is enchantment in addition to its other types.
As long as your devotion to white is greater than five, equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has protection from white. The same is true for each other color.
Equip 2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

5 out of 8 contestants haven't entered so I'm offering a 24-hour extension.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Zaimon, Sword of the Mimic 2
Legendary Artifact--Equipment (Mythic)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1
As long as another creature on the battlefield has flying, equipped creature has flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, protection, reach, prowess, trample, vigilance, and activated abilities
Equip 3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@OneAndOnly @Lorn Asbord Schutta @Henlock @MonoRedMage Giving another 24 hours' extension.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Mox Ring
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (M)
: Add one mana of any color among the colors of equipped creature.
Equip
To reward a minion is to gather power.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Dragon Bracers of Venkelar 4
Equipped creature has flying and is a Dragon in addition to its other types.
1: Equipped creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Whenever equipped creature attacks or blocks, double the power and toughness of each Dragon you control until end of turn.
Equip 4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

No word from Henlock - I'll close the round now. Please critique/top 3 all other contestants.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Notes
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Indestructible
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Doku Din, the Soul-Eater isn't equipped, sacrifice a creature. If you can't, lose three life.
Equipped creature is a 6/6 colorless legendary Efreet creature named Doku Din with flying and indestructible.
Equip CCC
I like the flavour of this - an efreet possessing the body of the host and emerging fully formed, regardless of whether the holder is a kobold or a Marit Lage. However, the execution feels like it'd leave this without a home. Sacrificing a creature is a nontrivial punishment, but I could envision some theoretical deck which could make a bit of a wide turns 1-2, play this on 3, eat the trigger and make a troublesome threat. This is where we hit the second speed bump - the colourless pips. And the above plan largely goes out the window. This could be an interesting card if the costs were changed to generic.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, put a wish counter on Gerrard's Hourglass Pendant.
Remove a wish counter from Gerrard's Hourglass Pendant: Equipped creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Remove five wish counters from Gerrard's Hourglass Pendant: Take an extra turn after this one.
Equip 2
This is the sort of card that I smile and nod at during preview seasons. There's a payoff, but you have to work for it quite a bit (even a double striking Aurelia won't quite get there!). And there's the panic indestructibility too. I don't have a home for it, but I'd be happy if it existed. Not sure how this relates to Gerrardness, but that's just me not being entrenched in lore.
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Nyxweave Cloak 2
As long as your devotion to white is greater than five, equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has protection from white. The same is true for each other color.
Equip 2
It's a nice Theros'y card, what with the devotion payoff and the enchantment conversion. I'm not sure how ideal the protection would be within Theros itself, as the sets tend to run some aura stuff which this would make fall off. However, hexproof from the colour would in turn not grant the crazy evasion ability. And Theros has had protection on the plane (Gods Willing says hi). Probably picking at it too much.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
As long as another creature on the battlefield has flying, equipped creature has flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, protection, reach, prowess, trample, vigilance, and activated abilities
Equip 3
I like the marriage of one of those Soulflayer sort of effects with an Experiment Kraj, and the fact it goes global means this could likely be some good clean janky fun. I'd probably separate off the activated ability copying into its own sentence, as it gets lost in the keyword soup and needs a little more clarity anyway.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Mox Ring
Equip
So far, all equipment in the game tend to grant some sort of boon to the creature they're on. This one does not. While a kooky and interesting design, with a nice name to boot (a creature can wear a ring), it just feels like a mana rock. Especially given that Mox Amber already exists.
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Whenever equipped creature attacks or blocks, double the power and toughness of each Dragon you control until end of turn.
Equip 4
The ability wants to cost R and you know it. Is colour counted here as commander colour identity, out of curiosity? Regardless, given how everything else about this screams red, not even upping the activation to 2 to match Steel Hellkite would quite do the trick. The card itself is fine, mind you, and I can totally imagine it existing with proper R-costed firebreathing in pre-coloured-equipment days. You could theoretically stick it in a red-less deck and it would still do something, a pretty good something in fact. But I can't get over the activated ability costing.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. Subject16

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Equip 2
Off to a good start! Not every equipment needs to be a weapon.

Flavorfully, this could just be an hourglass; eliminating "pendant" snips four words from the card, and keeps the font size in the text box legible.

I'm not quite certain of the balance between indestructibility and taking extra turns. One seems fairly Gerrard-iffic, but the second seems much more Jace or Teferi's wheelhouse. Extra turns, of course, relate back to it being an hourglass, leaving indestructibility as the oddball. For something time-travelly, maybe "untap equipped creature", or even granting vigilance or haste as a static ability.

And, naturally, this gets a little weird with proliferate. "Attack five times" is a pretty severe drawback; "attack once, then play four spells" much less so,

Overall, 6/10.
Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Blade of Corruption 4
Discard a card: Target player gains control of Blade of Corruption. They attach it to a creature they control.
An interesting puzzle of a card, from the very first glimpse. Equipment without dedicated equip abilities are always kind of cool. It's a little odd that it has a static ability that doesn't care whether or not it's equipped, and that the "equip" ability it does have doesn't specify the creature it's equipped to, but rather the player.

Some playstyles (anything with hellbent) will never mind the drawback; others, like control, rely on having a full grip of cards. So, moving between players has some excitement, because it interacts with different players in different ways.

The card creates two games. One is simply, beat face -- if you throw it on an opponent's creature, they probably can't draw cards, but end the game in three or so turns by hitting you with your own sword. You can't equip it to your own creature, and chances are that your opponent might not pass it back to you. There's a subset to this game, where a player is lagging behind and doesn't have a creature, at which point this card might easily knock them out of the game by entirely missing the point of the card, which just feels ... wrong.

The second game is the one where players pass it back and forth, discarding a card until they're finally allowed to draw a card. This plays well with madness decks and maybe dredge and delve, but not many others.

The fact that the "equip" ability doesn't have a mana cost pushes immediately toward that endgame, which, to me, isn't that interesting. If a player doesn't want it, they have to have more cards in hand than their opponents, or they're stuck with it. Like Jinxed Choker, I'd limit this to once per turn.

For a card that presents a huge power boost ... this card isn't really about attacking, at all, and I think most players won't actually enjoy this puzzle.

Overall, 4/10.
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Nyxweave Cloak 2
Equip 2
Minor nitpick, the static ability should read, "and is an enchantment..."

There aren't ... any? ... cards that care about devotion to every color, so I'm not sure how "pure" Theros this card is. It's nice that it's colorless and could go into almost any deck (mono-color or multicolored, but not artifact-bound).

The limit in devotion means this card will often have no benefit, so I'd categorize it as win-more -- when you're ahead, it's great, but it doesn't do much to help you catch up. The potential for +5/+5 and protection from every color seems awesome! but will almost never be realized in games, so instead of a benefit becomes a bit of a letdown.

Lastly, this would really benefit from a name tweak -- in a set where Nyx-Fleece Ram and Satyr Nyx-Smith aren't legendary, it doeesn't sound like this card would be, either.

Overall, 7/10

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Equip 3
I'm not a huge fan of keyword-soup cards, partly because they're all slightly different, and tracking which exact abilities are shared and which ones aren't feels like its intended to catch players off-guard. They really seem more intended for Wizards to highlight which keywords they currently consider evergreen and which ones aren't.

Sharing abilities that opponent's creatures have is a neat twist, but also stretches the flavor a little bit.

I'd try and trim some of these down, since there are a few abilities that are near duplicates. Yeah, I get that having both first strike and doublestrike on the list opens up combo possibilities with other cards, but when both are active, first strike might as well not be on the list. Having a cleaner list of abilities ... well, it's just cleaner. So I'd spend some time considering which cards this is supposed to imitate. Akroma's Memorial is a similar card, but the abilities it grants make sense, because, well, Akroma.

Given that the card is named "Sword of the Mimic," I'd expect changeling to be on the list; or for the sword to grant the equipped creature each creature type of a creature on the battlefield.

The last of the abilities is *really* wide open. I'd expect more players to play it just to copy abilities, alone, which kind of makes the rest of the card moot.

Overall, 7/10.

3 years ago
Mox Ring
Equip
Paradise Mantle and Springleaf Drum exist. Their seemingly significant play differences (equip cost, color of mana generated) really won't matter in a deck that would use this. And while I get that Moxen should be legendary, most haven't been, so far.

I love the flavor text! You're the only one to include some.

Overall, 7/10
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Equip 4
As much as I loathe colored artifacts (and I l o a t h e colored artifacts!), this really wants to be one. While Dragons get bled over into every color for Uber Cool Cycles!, they're really anchored in red.

The activated ability is in a weird spot. Firebreathing effects -- and, let's be clear, it's a firebreathing effect -- usually get saved until after blockers are declared, and combat tricks are played out, so you can spike the ball onto the undefended corner of your opponent's court. But the way it interacts with the triggered ability that follows it means you really, really want to pump the equipped creature as much as possible, to double all that flame-spewing goodness.

Also, like a surprisingly large chunk of Dragon-tribal support, this card would seem to go best on something that's not a dragon, but rather something small and unblockable (a little more blue's portfolio, to be honest), which makes deckbuilding problematic.

Overall, 5/10.
Top Three
Show
Hide
Subject16's Nyxweave Cloak
kwanyeegor-ii's Zaimon, Sword of the Mimic
Lorn Asbord Schutta's Mox Ring

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Let's try to get critiques in by 23:59 on the 1st (about 31 hours from now).

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Indestructible
Equip CCC
Pretty cool flavor. Probably should have some drawback while equipped
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Equip 2
Great flavor and abilities. Usually gonna get passed around a lot lol
Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Blade of Corruption 4
Oh so a cursed equipment? Good concept but +5/+0 and unblockable is probably too strong...
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Nyxweave Cloak 2
Equip 2
Five devotion is too much lol, that's enough to make a god turn on... I would make it 3 devition or even 2
3 years ago
Mox Ring
Equip
Basically Paradise Mantle but stronger. Mox flavor makes it epic tho
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Equip 4
I feel like this card does too much and the tribal part is random
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 oneandonly
3 rumpy
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Yikes, some decks would just be pretty cold to this. It's tough to play and equip on the same turn, but if you have just one extra creature to feed to this, your creature becomes indestructible and decks without bounce/exile are just going to be clocked immediately. Personally I'm also not a fan of the super-heavy colorless requirements, which are very difficult to achieve in limited and pretty easy in constructed.
Rumpy5897
Show
Hide
Possibility 1: Both of you have empty boards and this just becomes a hot potato that gets passed back and forth. Possibility 2: This ends the game as soon as you untap with it. Possibility 3: It rots in your hand because your opponent is beating you down and you can't afford to play it. None of those are super fun results. It might have been more fun if it worked like I initially thought it did, which is that you couldn't equip it to your own creatures, only your opponent's, which would get rid of Possibility 2, which is the least fun of the three.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Fun! No notes other than the fact that the typeline would be ridiculously crammed (this is why Spear of Heliod and friends aren't equipment).
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Majestic Myriarch as a sword, huh? It's a fun idea, even if it's not very novel, but unfortunately the major changes you made are both negatives (to me, at least). First, the decision to include opponents' things is kind of a feel-bad: "Oh, I can't play my flier because then I won't be able to block their trampler." Second, the decision to include "activated abilities," which simply doesn't work as written. If you want to include them, you can say "equipped creature has all activated abilities of other creatures on the battlefield" or something like that, but you can't just tack them on at the end of the list. Also, it seems odd to give your creature a bunch of cool combat abilities and then just sit back and use an activated ability (although I suppose vigilance would get around that), and I suspect this might end up seeing play only as a combo card which would tend to piss off the Timmies who think it's meant for them.
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Fun flavor, but it's just Paradise Mantle with minus 1 equip cost. This is a much more daring card than that, but it's still covering familiar ground.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
I think I'd prefer if this just doubled power, so that your dragons were still vulnerable to dying in combat, but otherwise I really like it.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. MonoRedMage
3. Lorn Asbord Schutta

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

1. slimytrout
2. Subject16
3. Rumpy5897

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

1 - Rumpy5897
2 - Subject16
3 - slimytrout

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And your top four:

slimytrout
Subject16
Rumpy5897
kwanyeegor-ii

Round to come later.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”