Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL January Signups/Round 2

"Scourge of Zendikar and Innistrad"

Desolation Twin, taken from mtggoldfish.com, by Jack Wang and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Colorless Month here in the CCL! This month will have to loosely do with things that have no color.

Challenge
Design a colorless Eldrazi card (that is, with no colored mana in its mana cost).
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Yes, this means devoid is not allowed.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Monday, January 18th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 11th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 20th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (January 21st–24th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due January 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (January 27th–30th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due February 1st)
  • Final (February, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Eldrazi Obliterator CCCC
Creature - Eldrazi Phyrexian (MR)
Eldrazi Obliterator has indestructible during your turn.
Obliterate (Combat damage dealt by this creature to a creature or player also causes that creature's controller or player to sacrifice that many nonland permanents.)
4/4
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Kozilek's Harvester XXC
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
X can't be 0.
When you cast Kozilek's Harvester, choose a nonland card name.
When Kozilek's Harvester enters the battlefield, search target opponent's graveyard, hand, and library for up to X cards with the chosen name and exile them. That player shuffles their library.
You may cast cards exiled with Kozilek's Harvester.
3/2
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

The Equalizing Factor 5
Creature - Eldrazi (Mythic)
Creatures with more power than toughness have first strike and trample.
Creatures with same power as toughness have vigilance and "T: Draw a card."
Creatures with less power than toughness have indestructible and hexproof.
3: Target creature gets +1/-1 or -1/+1 until end of turn.
4/4

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

The Great Silence -- 7
Creature - Eldrazi {R}
Each player's maximum hand size is zero.
Your opponents can't play spells during your turn.
"It opened its mouth, and no sound came out; in fact; no sound came from anything anymore."
5/5
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Eldrazi Intimidator 8
Creature--Eldrazi (Uncommon)
When you cast this spell, put target creature on top of its owner's library
Eldrazi Intimidator can't be blocked except by colorless creatures
7/6
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Limb of Vitiation 1cc
Creature - Eldrazi Tentacle (r)
Ingest
You may cast creature cards exiled with Limb of Vitiation and you may spend c as if it was mana of any color to cast them.
Each creature cast with Limb of Vitiation is colorless and it is an Eldrazi in addition to its types. That creature gains "When this creature dies, return a creature card named Limb of Vitiation from your graveyard to the battlefield."
1/4
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Inducer of Despair
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
Your opponents play with their hands revealed.
Inducer of Despair has hexproof from each card type among the cards in your opponents' hands.
: Target opponent draws a card.
Gather your thoughts and let inaction became your true self.
5/5
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Couple of outstanding placeholders and and overall small number of entries - I'm going to extend for at least 24 hours.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Emrakul, the Shattered Multiverse {12}
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi {M}
When you cast this spell, untap all creatures you control. After this phase, you get an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.
Flying, protection from sorceries
At the beginning of combat, untap all creatures you control.
At the beginning of the first combat phase of each of your turns, flip a coin until you lose a flip or you choose to stop flipping. If you won all the flips, for each flip you won, you get an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. If you lost a flip, Emrakul deals 2 damage to you for each flip.
14/14

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Realm Warper 9
Creature - Eldrazi {R}
Annihilator 1
Whenever a player sacrifices a permanent, search that player's library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped under your control. Then that player shuffles their library.
8/10

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

The Mondronen Dronepack 8
Legendary Creature — Eldrazi Werefolf (Rare)
Trample, menace, haste
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, put a +1/+1 counter on each other Eldrazi, Wolf, and Werewolf creature you control.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, create a 4/3 colorless Eldrazi Werewolf creature token with haste.
8/7

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Lorn Asbord Schutta has the last remaining placeholder; I'll close the round in the morning.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

That will do it for the second round. Please critique and provide a top 3 for the seven contestants above you on this list, looping to the bottom as necessary.

Pygyzy
slimytrout
netn10
OneAndOnly
kwanyeegor-ii
Henlock
Lorn Asbord Schutta
MonoRedMage
Rumpy5897
Subject16

The critique period for both of the first two rounds will be extended until 1/22.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
Eldrazi Obliterator CCCC
Obliterate (Combat damage dealt by this creature to a creature or player also causes that creature's controller or player to sacrifice that many nonland permanents.)
4/4
Yowch, Scalable annihilator is freakishly powerful, made doubly so since it has super-trample (meaning, even blocking causes players to sac permanents -- so they're losing out, no matter what.) Adding indestructible, even some of the time, is adding insult to injury. Getting multiples of this guy out would just lock out opponents once you've gotten to the attack phase.

I would up the mana cost, reconsider the indestructible clause, and reduce its power. I would change obliterate; most likely by making it "excess damage" to a player. That allows this guy to be chump-blocked, but gives a lot of interaction with power changing effects (Giant Growth and Shrink both get a role to play.) But even then, this should still be 1-2 cmc more.

Lastly, I don't see the Phyrexian angle on this. There's no phi-mana in the cost; Phyrexians like compleating things, not annihilating them.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Kozilek's Harvester XXC
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
X can't be 0.
When Kozilek's Harvester enters the battlefield, search target opponent's graveyard, hand, and library for up to X cards with the chosen name and exile them. That player shuffles their library.
3/2
At just three mana, this is an inexpensive Cranial Extraction, with a body attached to it .. and the ability to cast the card. See what I'm getting at? I know the power level's increased in the game, but that's a little much.

That being said, Lobotomy and its kin are perfectly Eldrazi-ish. This might be contender for colored card + devoid, which is an interesting area to play in.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
The Equalizing Factor 5
4/4
This ... is unusual. The second and third static abilities are already a lot to send over on any creature. Walls become indestructible. Most utility creatures double their utility by drawing cards ... and once they've fed your hand, you can make them all indestructible by shifting their toughness (and you can always reduce power). The first static ability is a little less important, because often P>t creatures already have first strike or trample (a la Ball Lightning) and, just as frequently, they often have only one or two toughness -- meaning shifting them to another 'mode' takes a lot of mana.

All this being said, yeah, having just the first three abilities alone feels balanced, especially on an efficient 4/4 for 5 (that also draws a card). The last ability makes it way too screwy for combat math, can effectively counter destroy spells, and so much more.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Inducer of Despair
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
Inducer of Despair has hexproof from each card type among the cards in your opponents' hands.
5/5
I like this card! the 5/5 for 5 is very efficient, and dedicated decks won't notice the mandate for colorless mana. The activated and static abilities play nice with each other, and offer just enough incentive that an opponent might not want to nuke it. (And the Inducer may just not be able to be nuked, even if they did.) The instant-speed of the ability is a bit of a hang-up, and I might actually look at extending the "hexproof" ability into some other drawback for your opponents (costing life or more mana to spend. etc.)

I'm not quite with the flavor text -- maybe if it were attributed to a speaker. It sounds like it'd be spoken by the Inducer, but I thought Eldrazi didn't speak?
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
When you cast this spell, untap all creatures you control. After this phase, you get an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.
At the beginning of the first combat phase of each of your turns, flip a coin until you lose a flip or you choose to stop flipping. If you won all the flips, for each flip you won, you get an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. If you lost a flip, Emrakul deals 2 damage to you for each flip.
14/14
Wow, that's a lot of text.

Okay, Eldrazi Titans have always had a weird mix of abilities. The "protection from sorceries" feels right up Emmy's alley.

The "untap all creatures" ability is weird. It triggers on your opponent's combats, giving your creatures pseudo-vigilance. It's not needed for the "on-cast" ability (since that ability already untaps your creatures) and feels like it just be planted into the last ability.

The last ability feels really swingy -- your odds are even if you go for just one flip, but rapidly decline from there, barring Krark shenanigans. Since it's a mandatory ability, it's going to hurt you just as often as benefit you, making the ability feel generally underwhelming. Then again, with a 14/14 on your side, you shouldn't need more than one combat.

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Realm Warper 9
Creature - Eldrazi {R}
Annihilator 1
Whenever a player sacrifices a permanent, search that player's library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped under your control. Then that player shuffles their library.
8/10
Wow, that's vicious! Limiting it to land cards is evil, as it slowly locks a player out of the game. I'd be interested in seeing how this would play if it searched for a card with the type as the permanent that was sacrificed instead. I'd also love to see some flavor text.

Overall, very griefer, very Eldrazi.
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Trample, menace, haste
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, put a +1/+1 counter on each other Eldrazi, Wolf, and Werewolf creature you control.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, create a 4/3 colorless Eldrazi Werewolf creature token with haste.
8/7
That's ... very interesting. The Eldrazi were an interesting intrusion on Innistrad; I don't think they were really necessary (just like a certain card in Kaldheim). The non-transforming-creature-with-the-transform-conditions is also a little ... interesting. There's a mismatch between the two triggered abilities; one goes off if no one at the table cast a spell, the other goes off if even one player cast two spells ... I don't see an easy way to rectify that. Maybe by limiting it to the player whose upkeep it is.

The trample-menace-haste suite feels a little clunky. And overall, the creature doesn't feel like a drone (or dronepack).
Top Three
Show
Hide
Lord Absord Schutta's Inducer of Despair
Rumpy5897's Realm Warper
slimytrout's Kozilek's Harvester
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
The Great Silence -- 7
Creature - Eldrazi {R}
"It opened its mouth, and no sound came out; in fact; no sound came from anything anymore."
5/5
Pretty similar to Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur. Too oppressive in colorless I think, even 7 mana is too low
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
The Equalizing Factor 5
4/4
Pretty cool, not sure it feels like an eldrazi but it feels unique and weird enough... the tap ability granted seems random but i like it
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Kozilek's Harvester XXC
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
X can't be 0.
3/2
I feel like this card should cost XCC instead, the X scales kinda poorly lol, but that might be too powerful. Good sideboard answer card
Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
Eldrazi Obliterator CCCC
4/4
This ability seems moer powerful than annihilator which is already too strong at big numbers... definitely don't think obliterate shld be a keyword
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Trample, menace, haste
8/7
Really nice design, feels close to Hanweir, the Writhing Township but a good reference to innistrad werewolves
Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Realm Warper 9
Creature - Eldrazi {R}
Annihilator 1
8/10
I think this is a really good use of annihilator, similar to It That Betrays, amazing job
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
14/14
Pretty cool idea but way too swingy I think. It's so risky but also gamre ending
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 rumpy5897
2 netn10
3 subject16
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Notes
Show
Hide
Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
Eldrazi Obliterator CCCC
4/4
The thing with Phyrexian Obliterator is that one way to deal it is to suck it up and absorb a 5-power meatshot any time it swings. Meanwhile, once this thing turns sideways, that's an effective annihilator 4 for four mana. The indestructibility is also unneeded. I see what you were going for, but the execution just does not work.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Kozilek's Harvester XXC
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
X can't be 0.
3/2
This card is extremely pragmatic. You build upon the foundation of Lost Legacy style effects and some Praetor's Grasp, but cost it so it's actually nontrivial to get a full on gut of the card from the opponent. And you've got to keep the 3/2 around to actually use the cards. I can totally see something in this vein being printed.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
The Equalizing Factor 5
4/4
The idea to have the creatures pick up global changes based on their stat line, coupled with the power to tweak said stat line a bit, is honestly fantastic. The execution is a little wobbly, I feel the setup favours big butts too much. Not only do you get indestructibility, making swinging a trampling first striker into them suicidal, you've also got hexproof so you can't "patch" the stat line a bit on the fly. I'm not sure how I'd alter this to make it stick the landing, but there's a great core in there.
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
The Great Silence -- 7
Creature - Eldrazi {R}
5/5
I really like the flavour and global effect of this one. I'm not one to normally care much for names/flavour text, but all this works together perfectly with the mechanics - well done! All that's missing is some uneasy art and the immersion is complete. I'm not sure what you're going for here with the "your opponents can't play spells during your turn" part. It's not like they'll discard down in your cleanup step anyway. Perhaps just a reference to Silence, but an unnecessary one. Maybe amp up the discomfort instead by having a cast trigger discard the whole table's hands? Cost would likely have to be adjusted then.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Eldrazi Intimidator 8
Creature--Eldrazi (Uncommon)
When you cast this spell, put target creature on top of its owner's library
Eldrazi Intimidator can't be blocked except by colorless creatures
7/6
I can't see this making waves in constructed, and that's okay. I don't possess the expertise to comment on its limited impact (I'd imagine an important factor would be scion/spawn prevalence). In a vacuum, the design is perfectly fine - you've got a cast trigger that feels rarity appropriate, and a bit of eldrazi kookiness built in with the evasion ability.
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Limb of Vitiation 1cc
Creature - Eldrazi Tentacle (r)
Ingest
You may cast creature cards exiled with Limb of Vitiation and you may spend c as if it was mana of any color to cast them.
Each creature cast with Limb of Vitiation is colorless and it is an Eldrazi in addition to its types. That creature gains "When this creature dies, return a creature card named Limb of Vitiation from your graveyard to the battlefield."
1/4
I like the hybrid application of ingest and the self-recursion (bits of Zendikar and Innistrad at once?), making the tentacle a formidable recurring foe once it gets going. I also like that it's easy to control, you just stick an x/2+ in front of it and you're good. Solid reward, but you have to find a way to accomplish it. This one hits a sweet spot of callback nod and interesting gameplay dynamic.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Inducer of Despair
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
5/5
Now this is a nice weirdo. The ramifications of the hexproof clause take a second to process, and the power to hand out cards to try to keep up the bubble is interesting. I don't think it would likely be objectively correct to do so in most scenarios, but I can totally imagine this being used in some political/huggy EDH decks (along with the telepathy aspect). Perhaps strip out the CC from the casting cost to make it easier to stick into those?
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
14/14
Protection from something, check, extra something, check. Extra combats? Well, they're extra something, not quite turns, but it could work? And then we get to the coin flip part, which just does not strike me as something that would show up on an Emrakul. The relative scarcity and concentration of coin flips in red, combined with the fact extra combats are red too, make this part feel like it wants to be on some nondescript red card instead. I guess you lived up to your name and proposed a mono red Emrakul :P
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Trample, menace, haste
8/7
This is a solid bomby werewolf game ender, with eldrazi shoehorned into the type checklist. I see what you're going for, flavour-wise, but the execution favours the werewolf side too much. Maybe this would feel "more eldrazi" if it pooped out the established 3/2 EMN eldrazi tokens instead of an all-new 4/3 one?
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. Lord Asbord Schutta
3. OneAndOnly

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

1. Henlock
2. slimytrout
3. Subject16
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Pygyzy
Show
Hide
Oh, no no no. People seem to think that colorless mana is harder to come up with than it is, especially in constructed. This basically says "kill me this turn or lose the game," and it's on a four drop.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
The first ability doesn't feel super Eldrazi-like, and eight is a lot of mana. There's nothing particularly wrong with this, but it doesn't get me very excited.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Ooh, fun. The simplest answer to this is just not to let it hit you, since it's only a 1/4, but if you can get through, and hit a creature, and your opponent doesn't kill the Limb before you get a chance to cast the creature (which, now that I'm listing it, is a lot of if's), this can really get going.
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
This would play pretty unintuitively, which is that it would have hexproof from any spells your opponents tried to cast (you can't cast an instant targeting a creature with hexproof from instants), but if their last creature in hand was a Ravenous Chupacabra then they could kill the Inducer. I don't love making everyone else perma-reveal their hands, which tends to make games less fun, just for what, in most situations, will just amount to hexproof. But the idea is certainly clever.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
My eyes started to glaze over halfway through the text. Untapping things twice over is pretty confusing, even if I eventually got it. And the final ability is extremely confusing, especially on a card that already has a bunch of text. Some fun ideas in here, but they just kept getting piled on top of each other until it became too much.
Rumpy5897
Show
Hide
Annihilator is not known for being the most fun mechanic, and it feels like by the time you have 9 mana ramping yourself (and thinning your opponent's deck in the process) is not the most urgent of problems, but it's still a nice clean design.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Love it. No notes.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. Henlock
3. Rumpy5897

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

onlu t3 this time

1. Rumpy
2. Oneandonly
3. Kwanywgor

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Your top 8 contestants:

Henlock
slimytrout
Lorn Asbord Schutta
OneAndOnly
Rumpy5897
MonoRedMage
kwanyeegor-ii
Subject16

Sorry for the delay. Next round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”