Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Today's Challenge:
what

.::To Enter::.
In a single post:
  • Name exactly two other players to vote for their entries for the previous challenge. (In the event that there are two or fewer entries that you are allowed to vote for, you may vote for only one.)
  • Make a card that fits the current challenge.
  • Include an "If I Win" (IIW) for tomorrow's challenge if you win.
Each day we use the challenge of the previous day's winner. In the case of a tie, we'll use the IIW of the tied player who has least overall points. In case of a further tie, the IIW of the earlier poster will be used.

.::Scoring::.
JovialJovian 57 (+4)
slimytrout 56 (+2)
netn10 48 (+1)
void_nothing 47 (+0)
dyd 46 (+4)
Riria 46 (+3)
Pygyzy 28 (+2)
OneAndOnly 26
Raptorchan 24
caulkwrangler 22
MonoRedMage 6
FoilSquared 3
kwanyeegor-ii 2
BaconCatBug 1
.::Note of the Day::.

.::Yesterday's Submissions::.
The earliest card you remember designing
Riria wrote:
3 years ago
Votes: netn10, JovialJovian

The first custom card I ever designed was actually a legendary creature that was supposed to represent myself, for like an EDH thing at my LGS. The version of the card I have here has a different name than that original (for obvious reasons) but everything else is left identical.

Riria the Nitpicker WUB
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor (MR)
If you would draw a card, instead pay up to 5 life, then look at that many cards from the top of your library. You may put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
Whenever another Advisor enters the battlefield under your control for the first time each turn, you gain life equal to the life you paid into Riria's ability this turn.
2/4

IIW: "an opponent chooses"
dyd wrote:
3 years ago
Votes: slimytrout, Riria

I remember a few joke cards about office life I designed for my colleagues... here is a revised black-bordered version.

Blessed Deafness w
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has protection from Advisors and from Goats.
"I wonder how Matthew can always be so relaxed with all that noise."
Original silver-bordered version
Show
Hide
Blessed Earphones w
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has protection from Bosses and from Customers.
"I wonder how Matthew can always be so relaxed with all that noise."
IIW: beer
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Votes: JovialJovian, dyd

Copy-paste of my first post from 2009... thanks for the memory lane!

Extra Brain 5UU
Enchantment (Rare)
When Extra Brain comes into play, draw seven cards.
Your maximum hand size is 14.
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card.

IIW: Pauper playable vehicle.
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Votes: Ririra, JovialJovian
Flashspark -- RR
Interrupt
Flashspark deals one damage to target creature or player.
Nowadays it'd be an instant with split second, but that was the first card I designed ... way back when Revised had just come out. I don't recall what the first card I posted online was -- it would have been on the actual MagicTheGathering.com forums, when Wizards actually cared about them. It's been, uh, three forums and as many usernames since.
IIW: December 20, 2020
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
dyd, Riria
hm: JovialJovian -- very close to taking the second slot, but the legendary typing felt a bit off to me on a Saga

The first custom set I designed was an "underground" set with wedge tribes -- Jeskai djinni, Mardu dwarves, Sultai amphin, Temur elementals, and Abzan fungi. Sadly all the card files are sitting on an old laptop at my parents', but here's my best reconstruction:

Fungal Ambassador 2GW
Creature - Fungus Advisor (U)
Lifelink
GW, T: Create a 1/1 white Fungus creature token with lifelink.
As long as your life total is greater than or equal to your starting life total, creatures you control get +1/+1.
3/3

IIW: A card from one of the above tribes
JovialJovian wrote:
3 years ago
dyd, pygyzy

Well, as a kid I would design my own cards, and draw them out on graph paper. I had hoped to be able to unearth some of those cut-out custom cards while I'm hope for the holidays, have some really poorly thought out jank, but no luck.. So the oldest things I can directly remember are from 2008-9, when I was grabbing art online and making cards to fit it.

Somnambulus 2GU
Creature - Octopus
Somnambulus gets +1/+1 for each tapped creature on the battlefield.
2U: Tap target creature.
1/1

IIW: Clothes that don't fit
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 years ago
dyd, slimytrout

Ooo, this takes me back. This was from before I realized that DFCs were a wiser direction.

Licid Energizer 3G
Creature - Licid (R)
You may pay 1 rather than pay the t cost for the activated abilities of Licids you control.
G, T: Licid Energizer loses this ability and becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. Attach it to target creature. You may pay G to end this effect.
0: Untap enchanted creature. Activate this ability only during your turn and only once each turn.
2/2

IIW: Use the IIW of the participant with the lowest vote total for the month (besides myself of course)
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Votes: Pygyzy, JovialJovian
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I clearly remember my first-ever custom design because it was my first-ever post.

On MTGNews. It was this, but more badly spelled:

Raging Berserker 1RR
Creature - Barbarian (R)
Sacrifice a Goblin: Destroy target artifact.
2/2

We now have Goblin Trashmaster so I'll make something similar that's bigger still than even that.
Skirk Thunderer 4RR
Creature - Goblin Mutant (R)
Prowess
Tap four untapped Goblins you control: Destroy all artifacts and all nonbasic lands. Add R for each permanent destroyed in this way.
6/6

IIW: Rare Shades
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

dyd
Randomancer
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by dyd » 3 years ago

Votes: Riria, netn10

What Do You Mean?
Instant
Counter target instant or sorcery spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard and its controller may cast an instant or sorcery spell with the same or lower converted mana cost from a graveyard without paying its mana cost.
"Sorry, lightning what?"

IIW: write a lot

Riria

Post by Riria » 3 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, Ink-Treader

Schrodinger's Charger 1RW
Creature - Human Weird Berserker (R)
Vigilance, haste
If Schrodinger's Charger would be declared as an attacker, instead Schrodinger's Charger's controller secretly chooses whether it is attacking or not.
Defending players may choose to assign blockers to Schrodinger's Charger before knowing whether it is attacking or not.
After blockers are declared, reveal your choice. If Schrodinger's Charger isn't attacking, destroy all creatures blocking it.
4/2

IIW: Please no

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Riria, oneandonly

what U
Instant (Un-U)
Pay attention! (As you cast this spell, you must place it face up and read all it's nonreminder text. It resolves once read.)
What each opponent doesn't know is this spell counters their spells unless they return them to their hand before now.

IIW: Unusual Combinations

Edit: Ah ok thank you ill try to remember that.
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Wow, lots of fun ideas this round! Difficult to pick.

netn10, void_nothing

Pardon Me? WU
Instant (U)
Return target spell to its owner's hand. Spells with that name cost 2 more to cast until your next turn.
"Please, you'll have to speak up."
-Reeka, mutemage

@Pygyzy -- I think I'm safe in assuming your card is an Un-card, but in general it makes it much easier if you label it as such (I usually do it next to the rarity) so that we don't have to guess.

IIW: Pretending

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Votes: OneAndOnly (this card feels so old), slimytrout (that set sounds very interesting)

Question 2UU
Instant (Rare)
Counter each other spell.
//////////
Answer
Instant (Rare)
Until end of turn, spells you control can't be countered.

IIW: Split card with a twist.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Votes: netn10, JovialJovian
W Hat - 3ww
Legendary Enchantment - Aura
Companion - All the cards in your library are white.
Enchant permanent
Enchanted permanent is a 4/4 Angel creature with flying, lifelink and vigilance.
IIW: December 20, 2020

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Votes - netn10, void_nothing

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, Ink-Treader

Pay What is Owed 1W
Instant (R)
Nonartifact permanents enter the battlefield tapped this turn.
Until end of turn, whenever a nonartifact permanent enters the battlefield, create a Treasure token.

IIW: Fun with tokens
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”