November MCC, Round 3: When the Hunger Hits

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Feasting Troll King by Nicholas Gregory and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
November MCC, Round 3 - When the Hunger Hits

Welcome to the November MCC! It's Food Month here at the MCC. This month will loosely deal with the Food subtype.

Main Challenge: Design a nonartifact card that can cause artifacts to be sacrificed.
Subchallenge 1: Your card has three or more colored mana symbols in its mana cost
Subchallenge 2: Your card is legendary

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, November 28th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Tuesday, December 1st 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: This can be as a cost (Atog) or an effect (Cataclysm).
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
StonerOfKruphix

Players:
@Subject16
@slimytrout
@Lorn Asbord Schutta
@netn10
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Daretti, Scheming Scrapper UBR
Legendary Planeswalker — Daretti (M)
+1: Create a tapped colorless Explosive artifact token with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: This artifact deals 1 damage to any target."
0: You may sacrifice an artifact. If you do, draw a card and each opponent discards a card.
-5: Exchange control of target artifact you control and target nonland permanent you don't control.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Omnath, Nature's Vanguard GWR
Legendary Creature - Avatar Elemental (Mythic)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices an artifact and an enchantment. If that player doesn't, put two +1/+1 counters on Omnath, Nature's Vanguard.
1/1

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Morgu, Goblin Merchant 1RRR
Legendary Creature — Goblin Rogue (Rare)
When Morgu, Goblin Merchant enters the battlefield, you may return target noncreature artifact from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
Noncreature artifacts you control are Treasures with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color" in addition to their other types.
The goblin economy isn't fueled by supply and demand, but shininess and deliciousness.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Lorn Asbord Schutta Will you need more time?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Sorine Relicbane
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer (R)
Whenever an ability of artifact is activated, that artifact's controler sacrifice it.
Whenever an artifact is put into graveyard from the battlefield, it deals damage to each creature equal to its converted mana cost.
: Sorine Relicbane gains protection from artifacts until end of turn. Tap it. Target opponent may draw a card.
"Seeing Soldev burns, I wish I wasn't right."
4/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is indeed closed. Both judges will critique everyone and the matchups in this versus round are as follows:

slimytrout vs. netn10
Subject16 vs. Lorn Asbord Schutta

Top scorer in each matchup will go to the finals.

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 3 years ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Daretti, Scheming Scrapper UBR
Legendary Planeswalker — Daretti (M)
+1: Create a tapped colorless Explosive artifact token with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: This artifact deals 1 damage to any target."
0: You may sacrifice an artifact. If you do, draw a card and each opponent discards a card.
-5: Exchange control of target artifact you control and target nonland permanent you don't control.
Design
(2/3) Appeal - This card is a jackpot for both Spike and Jxnny, but it's not bombastic enough for Txmmy.
(3/3) Elegance - As a friend of mine once said: "Have you noticed that the best planeswalkers are always the ones whose abilities have only one line of text?", and that's true here.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Planeswalkers come with the mythic rarity (except for War of the Spark), so that's correct. About the rest, artifact production/sacrifice, discard, damage and creature stealing/swapping all fall into Grixis wheelhouse.
(2/3) Balance - This card gives me very strong Oko vibes. I mean, they're both 3-cmc planeswalkers, but I must concede that the non-ultimate abilities are not as broken as Oko's (even though it doesn't take that much to not be), while the ultimates are eerily similar. On this note, that's where my point docking comes in: I feel like the ultimate is way too strong. Not only it requires minimal set-up, since Daretti itself makes the artifacts, but at least with Oko there was a restriction, here there's not. It's simply too much value for something you get on the turn after you play this. I'm sure that if a card like this was printed it would definitely make a splash both in standard and in older constructed formats since, apart from the color requirements, it is simply too much value to pass up on. Also, definitely a windmill slam in draft, and I feel like it would be nigh-unbeatable in limited (as it's the case with most planeswalkers).

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - The singular parts of this card are something that has already been done before in a way or another, but the package as a whole feels fresh.
(3/3) Flavor - No kidding, I could totally see this as a direction where MTG could take Daretti.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All correct here.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep yep.

Total: 22/25
VS
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Omnath, Nature's Vanguard GWR
Legendary Creature - Avatar Elemental (Mythic)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices an artifact and an enchantment. If that player doesn't, put two +1/+1 counters on Omnath, Nature's Vanguard.
1/1
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Spike likes the efficiency and the "free" artifact/enchantment removal. Txmmy likes its constant growth. Jxnny might like it if they have some enchantment/artifact with drawbacks and want to get rid of it (something à la Treacherous Blessing), but it's otherwise too linear.
(2/3) Elegance - I had to reread the card a few times because I genuinely believed it said "artifact or enchantment", and I think this would be a problem with the most enfranchised players. Also, I'm sure this would raise some question from the non-enfranchised players too, something like: "What happens if my opponents sacs two things? Does it get four counters?"

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - While I must say that the ability feels very Naya, as in "a relentless force of nature bent on destroying the unnatural", I'm not sure about the Mythic rarity. The way I see it, this could be a rare.
(3/3) Balance - It's a very cute card. Sure, it might not be a high pick in limited because of the color restrictions and its poor impact in late game, but it's strong either way. I think this would see more play in standard as an efficient 3-drop that sometimes wrecks your opponent's plan while growing, or as a sideboard card in other formats.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Sure, some might see this as a riff on stax effects (the latest we've got is Doom Foretold), but it's pretty original in its own way.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I mean, an alternate-reality Omnath? What's not to love? Actually, just one thing: why is it an Avatar Elemental, while all the other Omnaths have just been Elementals? Not only that, but...

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - ...even if it had those two creature types, they should be the other way around, like in Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar and Muldrotha, the Gravetide (-0.5). Also, and this is a pretty glaring mistake, the color sequence in the mana cost is wrong. It should be RGW. (-1).

Total: 20/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Morgu, Goblin Merchant 1RRR
Legendary Creature — Goblin Rogue (Rare)
When Morgu, Goblin Merchant enters the battlefield, you may return target noncreature artifact from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
Noncreature artifacts you control are Treasures with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color" in addition to their other types.
The goblin economy isn't fueled by supply and demand, but shininess and deliciousness.
3/3
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Jxnny likes the degenerate things they could make with this, Spike appreciates the immediate (albeit conditional) value. Txmmy is not interested.
(3/3) Elegance - While the Treasure clause might appear complex, it's actually a pretty simple and linear card.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Artifact recursion and sacrificing artifacts are both in Red's wheelhouse, so no problems here. Also, this kind of effect deserves a higher rarity than uncommon, and the fact that this is a legendary creature makes for a perfect Rare rarity.
(2.5/3) Balance - While definitely not a first pick in draft (unless a specific archetype supports it), this is the sort of niche card that usually ends up being the cornerstone of a very dedicated deck and that deck specifically, that's why it's a bit hard to evaluate which kind of impact it would have on constructed formats. For example: there might not be an archetype to support this card in standard, but this would play amazingly in an Eggs-like deck.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Sure, this might be red's take on Refurbish, but the "All is Treasure" clause is something definitely new.
(3/3) Flavor - Honestly, the flavor text feels a bit like Rummaging Goblin's, but it still got a chuckle out of me.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All correct here.

Total: 22.5/25
VS
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Sorine Relicbane
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer (R)
Whenever an ability of artifact is activated, that artifact's controler sacrifice it.
Whenever an artifact is put into graveyard from the battlefield, it deals damage to each creature equal to its converted mana cost.
: Sorine Relicbane gains protection from artifacts until end of turn. Tap it. Target opponent may draw a card.
"Seeing Soldev burns, I wish I wasn't right."
4/4
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Too clunky for Spike and not big enough for Txmmy. Definitely a Jxnny card.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The singular parts of the cards are simple, but it definitely deserves more than one read to fully understand it.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - As a legendary creature, the rarity is correct, but I don't see anything blue in this card. This could've easily been a Red-Green card with a White ability.
(1.5/3) Balance - Let's start by saying that this is a veeeeeery niche card. Not only you can't just play it in a temur deck, you also need access to white to fully use it, and even then, it only gets good when you're the one sacrificing artifacts, since your opponents won't once this hits the board. Yet, you're still giving your opponents cards if you don't want Sorine to die, so it's basically an almost lose-lose situation. I'm sorry to say that this would basically be a hard-to-cast 4-cmc 4/4 in draft, so definitely not a high pick, and it's too much of a hassle for constructed formats. Only place I could see this getting played is EDH.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Definitely an original and fresh card, as it's quite unique in what it does/affects play.
(3/3) Flavor - Hey, look who it is! It's about time Sorine got his card, and I must say that its flavor is pretty fitting for a guy like him.

Polish
(0/3) Quality - Should be "of AN artifact" (-0.5) and "sacrifices" (-0.5). "Controller" is spelled wrong (-0.5) and the second part of the first line should be "its controller sacrifices it" (-0.5). Also, it should be "an artifact is put into A graveyard" (-0.5). Lastly, there's a mistake in the flavor text, since it should be "burn" (-0.5).

Total: 17/25

Results
Show
Hide
slimytrout 22 vs netn10 20
Subject16 22.5 vs Lorn Asbord Schutta 17

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a 'walker for Jxnny/Spike. Hardly splashy enough for Txmmy.
(2/3) Elegance - Each of the abilities is a bit wordy.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity definitely check out.
(2.5/3) Balance - Ultimate feels kind of underwhelming after a pair of good earlier abilities.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The Explosive token is a new idea and this is a new take on a UBR walker (admittedly, the only precedent is a bunch of Bolases) but otherwise nothing all that unique here.
(3/3) Flavor - I can definitely buy Daretti adding blue.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Both Txmmy and Jxnny have reasons to love this card - Spike doesn't like the deckbuilding restriction of not being able to use artifacts and enchantments with this but appreciates the power especially in e.g. Commander.
(2/3) Elegance - Not only is the ability wordy, it's ambiguous - "if they don't" could, if read plainly, mean "if they didn't sacrifice both" or "if they sacrificed neither". For a variety of reasons this would be better if this said something like "Put a +1/+1 counter on Omnath for each permanent fewer than two sacrificed in this way."

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity definitely right.
(2/3) Balance - That triggered ability is very, very strong. Two counters per turn is a lot of growth to say nothing of possibly killing two opposing permanents a turn.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - A remix of old elements, but a compelling one.
(1/3) Flavor - The title feels generic, but more damningly, this doesn't feel like Omnath - nothing to do with lands/mana, no "Locus of" in the name, inexplicably an Avatar.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Mana symbols in the wrong order (it should be RGW).

Total: 19/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - This has value AND splashiness - nobody doesn't like this.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Slightly wordy especially with granting the Treasure type.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Artifact recursion is a slight bend in red.
(3/3) Balance - Strong, but nothing completely unacceptable.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Feels kind of like a Sharuum the Hegemon/Urza, Lord High Artificer mashup.
(3/3) Flavor - Just about perfect. Resonant enough to be a core set legend.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 22/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy both likes and is confused by this. Jxnny is salivating. Spike appreciates the power of repeatable mass removal yet mostly this card makes them go "hmm."
(1.5/3) Elegance - This has a lot of words and a quite complicated way to protect itself, as well as a funky color identity.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Not really sure where the blue comes from other than the original Soldevi Heretic.
(3/3) Balance - These are powerful abilities, but both situational and symmetrical.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - A deeply strange and unique card that I definitely see the appeal in.
(3/3) Flavor - Words can't express how much I love this.

Polish
(1/3) Quality - A couple of grammar and spelling errors - but nothing affecting comprehension, it must be said.

Total: 19.5/25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout and Subject16 are our two finalists! Final round to come.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”