November CCL: Memories Engraved in Stone

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

CCL November Signups/Round 2
"Memories Engraved in Stone"
Based on Angel's Tomb and Woodland Cemetery, by Wizards of Coast and respectively by Dan Scott and Christine Choi.

Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

This November CCL theme will be remembrance of those who have passed, in diffrent forms.

Challenge
Create an artifact or land card representing tomb, grave, mausoleum, cemetery or anything similiar.
Clarification
Show
Hide
  • "Or anything similiar" means that while it is impossible to provide exhaustive list of all things that would fit theme, you should weigh yourself if it does not strain the intent - which I hope is clear - of challange
  • It can be abstract, like Ancient Tomb, or rooted in MTG lore, like Tormod's Crypt.
  • Make sure to include rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Tuesday November 17th, 12:00 EST.

Round 1 — Open to Everyone (November 1st–8th)
Round 2 — Open to Everyone (November 10th–17th)
Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due November 21th)
Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (November 21th–25st)
Top 8 Critiques (Due November 28rd)
Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (November 28th–1st December)
Top 4 Critiques (Due December 3rd)
Final (December, winner determined by public poll)

Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

The Elder Barrow
Legendary Artifact Land (MR)
This land enters the battlefield tapped.
When this land enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you pay b.
Champion a Legendary Vampire
T: Add b.
5bb, T: Create a token that's a copy of the championed card, except it's an artifact in addition to its other types.
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Sky-Burial Steppe
Land (U)
Sky-Burial Steppe enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add
W, T: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature with flying. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Cenotaph for the Fallen
Artifact (u)
3w: Create a white 1/1 Soldier creature token. This ability costs less to activate for each Soldier you controlled that died this turn.
Our honor never dies.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Another bump, hopefully more then just one another entry!

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Havengul Mausoleum 1BB
Artifact (Rare)
Hideaway (This artifact enters the battlefield tapped. When it does, look at the top four cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.)
T: Exile the bottom card of your library face down. Then if there are thirteen or more cards exiled with Havengul Mausoleum, sacrifice it. Then reveal each of those cards and put all creature cards revealed this way onto the battlefield under your control and the rest into their owner's graveyards.
The dead make for light sleepers.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Temple to Urami's Fall
Legendary Land (Rare)
T: Add B. Add an additional B if you control a Demon. You lose 2 life unless you control an Ogre.
6BB, T: Create Urami Earthbound, a 4/4 black legendary Demon Spirit creature token with menace, deathtouch, and haste
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Dolmen of Forevermore Cairn 3GG
Legendary Artifact (M)
Whenever a card leaves your graveyard, put a number of height counters on Dolmen of Forevermore Cairn equal to that card's converted mana cost.
Whenever you return a card from your graveyard to your hand, add mana equal to that card's converted mana cost.
T: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each height counter on Dolmen of Forevermore Cairn.
T: Put target card from a graveyard on the bottom of its owner's library.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Shinka, Tomb of Hidetsugu
Legendary Land {R}
T: Add R. Spend this mana only to cast a legendary spell.
T, Pay 2 life: Add CC. Spend this mana only to activate an ability of a legendary permanent.
T, Exile a legendary card from your graveyard: Shinka deals 1 damage to target planeswalker.
The place where All-Consuming Hidetsugu left his mortal shell now guards all of Sokenzan.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Memorial to Asha 3
Artifact {U}
Memorial to Asha enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add G, W, or U.
GWU: Memorial to Asha becomes a 3/3 green, white, and blue Angel artifact creature with flying until end of turn.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

We are still waiting for at least one entry, but the more, the merrier!

Lorn Asbord Schutta

To not delay it any further, I will be closing the second round at 12:00 EST of 21st November, no matter the number of entries.
These are the last hours to participate!

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The round is closed! Please provide critiques for the each other contestant and top 3.
The critiques' period should end at 12:EST 24th November. This is both true for this round and round 1.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

I think we can safely cut to a top 6 for the third round this month.
Critiques
Show
Hide
Pygyzy - I like the ideas behind this card a lot but I think you may be overcomplicating the execution - why's the token an artifact anyhow? I also don't think you need to make the championed card a legend because it's hard enough to use at it is and you should be able to get multiple tokens as the payoff imo.

slimytrout - Absolutely dripping with flavor as long as you understand the reference. Mechanically fun and old-school - Osai Vultures of all things comes to mind.

Henlock - I'm torn on whether this would be more of a fun engine or more of a broken engine. The Phyrexian Altar/death trigger infinites seem easy enough.

Subject16 - I about jumped out of my chair. Brilliant use of hideaway on a nonland card, perfect mechanical flavor.

kwanyeegor-ii - Nice update to the original but I'm concerned about that mana ability.

MonoRedMage - Hey, you went to Kamigawa as well! No complaints here - plenty of restrictions on this admittedly powerful card make it situational.

RaikouRider - Perfectly fine Limited design that unfortunately reminds me of the Tarkir Dragon-Rock cycle (Kolaghan Monument) a bit too much.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. slimytrout
3. Pygyzy
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

complete
Show
Hide

Pygzy: I think you missed having the token not be legendary. One of thw things I see here is that it would allow you to blink a Legendary Vampire for the cost of a land drop. I'm not sure there are mamy Legenday Vampires with ETB abilities, so not much use there.

kwanyegor: Tomb of Urami needed a fix and here it is.

Voidnothing: Another one for tinkering around. The pump can be huge, but nothing a legendary 5-drop that needs work done wouldn't be able to dom The return to your hand clause is weird, but it is interesting that being such an evergreen ability in green there is not much rhat care for it.

slimytrout: I think this is very nice utility. Probably a "you may exile a creature card from a graveyard. If you do" clause would make it work better.

Subject16; This is quite a build-around. 13 is a lot, but you start with 5 and if you manage to untap this or copy the abilities this may be quite viable. I really like that you can cast it from a T1 ritual.

Monoredmage: Seems pretty solid in a Legendary matters enviroment. The restrictions demand a.particular niche to be able to take advantage of it at its fullest. The two.last abilities are very red too.

RaikouRaider: Somewhere between a keyruna and a dragon.monument and definitely more powerful than.both. It feel.ok but it id also a bit unexciting.
Top: I'll sleep.on it. A lot of interesting stuff.

TOP 3
1. Subject16
2. Monoredmage
3. Voidnothing
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Bump.
Due to dearth of critiques and only one top 3 I will make an extension for one day, till 25th November 12:00 EST. That extension will be final, both due to time constraints and because round 1 has enough critiques to reasonably pick top 6 constestants that will advance.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Gonna start with T3 again and will critique if I find time.

1. MonoRedMage
2. Subject16
3. kwanyeegor-ii

Pygyzy

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

T3
1: Subject16
2: Kwanyeegor-ii
3: slimytrout

Raikourider — Very nice uncommon. Balanced and playable. I just wish this has the borderpost ability.
MonoRedMage — I like that it helps a legendary deck. Feels very Kamigawa.
Void_nothing — Seems super broken lol
Kwanyeegor-ii — big fan of this card
Subject16– Hideaway always felt underutilized and this is great
Henlock - reminds me of a hearthstone card for paladin I think
Slimytrout — seems like a perfect zendikar card

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Top 3
Show
Hide
1 - Henlock