November MCC, Round 1: A Delicacy

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Feasting Troll King by Nicholas Gregory and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
November MCC, Round 1 - A Delicacy

Welcome to the November MCC! It's Food Month here at the MCC. This month will loosely deal with the Food subtype.

Main Challenge: Design a Food artifact card
Subchallenge 1: Your card is rare or mythic
Subchallenge 2: Your card is one or more colors

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Sunday, November 8th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Wednesday, November 11th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: Foods all have the ability "2, T, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life." What this challenge is calling for is a nontoken food like Gingerbrute.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
StonerOfKruphix

If you are not interested in playing, please sign up to judge the contest!

Players:
Anyone is welcome to enter this first round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Dragoon26

Post by Dragoon26 » 3 years ago

I'm starting classes again this term, so I'm afraid I'll have to sit out of judging for a bit, as I just won't have the time to commit to it.

Regathan Lava Pepper 1R
Artifact - Food (M)
R: The next time you would gain life this turn, Regathan Lava Pepper deals X damage to any target instead, where X is that amount of life.
2, T, Sacrifice Regathan Lava Pepper: You gain 3 life.
It will keep you warm, inside and out.
Last edited by Dragoon26 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Thighbone Mace 1BB
Artifact — Equipment Food (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has menace.
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may return Thighbone Mace from your graveyard to your hand.
2, T, Sacrifice Thighbone Mace: You gain 3 life.
Equip 2
Last edited by Subject16 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Feast of Kings 4WU
Legendary Artifact - Food (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gains 3 life and draw a card.
2, Discard Feast of Kings: You gain 3 life.
A never-ending feast for those who deserves it the least.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

False Fruit 1RB
Artifact — Food (R)
If an opponent would gain life, that player loses that much life instead.
2, T, Sacrifice an artifact or creature: Target player gains 3 life.
2, T, Sacrifice False Fruit: You gain 3 life.
"It's perfectly safe to eat. See?"
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Ever-Filling Horn GW
Artifact — Food (R)
When Ever-Filling Horn enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature.
At the beginning of each end step, if Ever-Filling Horn is in your graveyard, you may pay GW. If you do, return Ever-Filling Horn to the battlefield tapped.
2, T, Sacrifice Ever-Filling Horn: You gain 3 life.

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 3 years ago

Nessian Apples 2G
Legendary Artifact - Food (R)
Creatures you control with power 4 or greater have Tribute 2 and "When this creature enters the battlefield, if tribute wasn't paid, it may fights target creature you don't control."
2, T, Sacrifice Nessian Apples: You gain 3 life.
These fruits are jealously protected by brood of Nessian Wood.
Last edited by Sagharri 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Riria

Post by Riria » 3 years ago

Plate of the Endless Feast W
At the beginning of your end step, if you sacrificed three or more Foods this turn, return Plate of the Endless Feast from your graveyard to the battlefield.
2, T, Sacrifice Plate of the Endless Feast: You gain 3 life.
Don't be shy.

scarbo

Post by scarbo » 3 years ago

(retracting entry)
Last edited by scarbo 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

BaconCatBug
Pronoun: xe /xim

Post by BaconCatBug » 3 years ago

Saldaean Ice Pepper UR
Artifact — Food (Rare)
U, T, Sacrifice Saldaean Ice Pepper: Tap up to two target creatures.
R, T, Sacrifice Saldaean Ice Pepper: It deals 3 damage to any target.
2, T: Sacrifice Saldaean Ice Pepper: You gain 3 life.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 3 years ago

Gingerbread Giant 9RW
Artifact Creature — Food Golem {M}
Trample, indestructible
If Gingerbread Giant would die, exile it instead, then create 11 food tokens. (They're artifacts with "2, T, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life.")
We're gonna need more than forks and knives to crack this cookie.
11/11
Last edited by Freyleyes 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Garenbrig Delicacy XGG
Artifact Creature - Food Golem {R}
Trample
Garenbrig Delicacy's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Foods you control.
When Garenbrig Delicacy enters the battlefield, create X Food tokens.
Sacrifice two other Foods: Regenerate Garenbrig Delicacy.
2, T, Sacrifice Garenbrig Delicacy: You gain 3 life.
*/*

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Giving this a bump for a couple more days left.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 3 years ago

Wild Deathcap BG
Artifact — Food (R)
When Wild Deathcap is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may have target creature get +1/+1 or -1/-1 until end of turn.
Whenever a creature dies, you may pay {B/G}. If you do, return Wild Deathcap from your graveyard onto the battlefield tapped.
2, T, Sacrifice Wild Deathcap: You gain 3 life.
"My secret? Preparation and sourcing."
—Jaruf, Ulvenwald hermit

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Wizardberry Wine
Artifact — Food (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Wizardberry Wine. If you do, reveal a card at random from your hand. If an enchantment, instant or sorcery card is revealed this way, you may cast it without paying its mana cost.
2, T, Sacrifice Wizardberry Wine: You gain 3 life.
Drink as an apprentice — get a sensation. Drink as a master — get an inspiration.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Charred Limb br
Artifact - Equipment Food (r)
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has menace.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by equipped creature this turn dies, create a token that's a copy of Charred Limb
Equip
, , Sacrifice Charred Limb: You gain 3 life.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round is now closed! I'll be judging all the entries. The top 8 will advance to the second round.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@StonerOfKruphix very kindly volunteered to judge last-minute. We will still be putting the top 8 through to round 2, with each of us advancing the top 4 in our assigned contestants. The judging assignments are as follows:

void_nothing:
netn10
Pygyzy
Riria
Freyleyes
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Henlock

StonerOfKruphix:
Dragoon26
Subject16
slimytrout
Sagharri
BaconCatBug
RaikouRider

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 3 years ago

Dragoon26
Show
Hide
Dragoon26 wrote:
3 years ago
Regathan Lava Pepper 1R
Artifact - Food (M)
R: The next time you would gain life this turn, Regathan Lava Pepper deals X damage to any target instead, where X is that amount of life.
2, T, Sacrifice Regathan Lava Pepper: You gain 3 life.
It will keep you warm, inside and out.
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Jxnny is the most interested, while Txmmy and Spike not so much. Too small an effect for the first, and too costly for the second.
(2/3) Elegance - The card is pretty elegant, but it's deceptively complex from a rules standpoint. For example, what would happen if I were to activate it multiple times and then sacrifice it? Would it deal damage for each replacement effect? What if, in response to lifegain, I activate it twice? I actually had to ring up a buddy of mine who's a L2 judge, and apparently it's only the first replacement trigger that deals damage, not the other ones.

Development
(2/3) Viability - There are a few examples of red denying life gain, both in conjunction with another color (Rain of Gore) or by itself (Sulfuric Vortex), and I feel that turning your denied lifegain into damage would definitely fall into Red's wheelhouse. Lifegain by itself, though, is strongly outside of it, unless it's directed to the opponents (à la Aria of Flame). Furthermore, this is definitely not a mythic. A rare, maybe, and in some sets I could even see it as a sideboard uncommon. But not a mythic.
(2/3) Balance - Apart from being a Jxnny buildaround/sideboard card (and even then, it's nothing too sensational), there's no way this would make an impact on constructed formats, since it basically reads "3RR: Deal 3 damage to any target" 99% of the times. Also, this would be a very disappointing mythic to open in limited, and I would pick it 3rd to 4rth pick, but only if I already was in Red, as it's too weak and slow to justify its investment (I would pick a card like Open Fire over this everytime).

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - The first ability is something that, as it is, has never been printed on a card, so I gotta commend you for that.
(3/3) Flavor - Honestly? I love that flavour text, it brings the whole card together and it's funny to boot.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All correct.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep yep.

Total: 20/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Thighbone Mace 1BB
Artifact — Equipment Food (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has menace.
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may return Thighbone Mace from your graveyard to your hand.
2, T, Sacrifice Thighbone Mace: You gain 3 life.
Equip 2
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes to buff its creatures and Spike likes the versability. Jxnny might use it for the recursion, but they're not that interested.
(3/3) Elegance - Very elegant and easily understandable.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colored equipment is something that MTG has started to fully embrace only recently, but I think that this would fall squarely into the definition of a mono-Black equipment. Couldn't see this at any other rarity, also.
(3/3) Balance - While not gamebreaking, this is a solid equipment that, in the long term, will definitely provide you with some kind of advantage, be it in attack power or in lifegain, and the recursion makes it all better. Definitely a high pick (if not a first pick) in limited. Constructed-wise, I'd compare this to Demonic Embrace, as they're somewhat similar, and we've seen it get a little bit of play in some aggro decks either as a value engine and as a finisher, which is what I imagine would happen to this card too.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - This is very similar to Chitinous Cloak, but the fact that it's a Food Equipment is definitely something very novel and opens up some unexplored design space.
(3/3) Flavor - The flavor of the card is amazing. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of art it would have if this card was printed. Probably something super metal.

Polish

Total: 23.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Ever-Filling Horn GW
Artifact — Food (R)
When Ever-Filling Horn enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature.
At the beginning of each end step, if Ever-Filling Horn is in your graveyard, you may pay GW. If you do, return Ever-Filling Horn to the battlefield tapped.
2, T, Sacrifice Ever-Filling Horn: You gain 3 life.
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy is a big fan of growing their creatures constantly (albeit slowly) and gaining a bunch of life. It's a bit too slow for Spike, but they appreciate the value it generates over time. Jxnny likes the recursion, mostly, but not much else.
(3/3) Elegance - Very easily understandable and very crisp.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Green and White are primary in giving counters, so it couldn't be in a better color combination. About the rarity, while I could see this as an uncommon, its repeatability and long-term advantage make me think this would be a rare for limited reasons in a standard set.
(2.5/3) Balance - While by itself it does nothing but giving you some life, you'll start to see its effects on the board as soon as you have at least one creature to load up. My only problem with this card is that it basically reads: "2GW: Put a +1/+1 counter on a creature. You gain 3 life.", which I think is sort of underwhelming (hence why I thought this could be an uncommon in a Masters set, maybe). I think it would be greatly improved if the cost for getting it back was lowered, since as it stands I can only see this being a sub-par rare who is not quick enough against aggro deck and not very powerful in a midrange battle. It could probably see play if there's a dedicated counter deck/draft archetype, but the lifegain could take it in various other directions. Speaking about draft, this breaks boardstalls, but in a very slow and costly way, so it would be a high pick only if you decide to commit/were already committed to those colors.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - While we haven't seen many recurring buff effects in this vein (which is a plus in this part), the card in itself is not that original, but I must concede that the whole is more than the sum of the parts, here, creating a nice little value engine.
(3/3) Flavor - I would've liked some flavor text (there is space for it), but it makes great work in evoking the idea of a never-ending cornucopia filled with food.

Polish

Total: 22.5/25
Sagharri
Show
Hide
Sagharri wrote:
3 years ago
Nessian Apples 2G
Creatures you control with power 4 or greater have Tribute 2 and "When this creature enters the battlefield, if tribute wasn't paid, it may fights target creature you don't control."
2, T, Sacrifice Nessian Apples: You gain 3 life.
These fruits are jealously protected by brood of Nessian Wood.
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy is a big fan of this. Jxnny and Spike don't particularly like the fact that the choice is out of their hands, but appreciate its power.
(2.5/3) Elegance - While the card in itself is not that wordy, I feel like many players would like some reminder text on Tribute, as it's not really the most well-known (or liked) mechanic.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Tribute was mostly seen on big, dumb, green monsters, so I can see this being in Green's wheelhouse. For its effect, i find it kind of weird that it's an artifact and not an enchantment, though. The rarity is definitely correct.
(3/3) Balance - Hooooo boy. Let me preface this by saying that I saved this part of the judging for last, as a card like this is kind of hard to evaluate. At a first glance, I thought that this card was straight-up bonkers: you either get two counters on a creature or a free fight. After some reflection, though, I kinda realized that the fact that your opponent gets to make the choice invalidates all and any preconceptions you might have on what would happen when you played some creatures. The way I see it, you're mostly getting counters out of this if the opponent has some creature they want to preserve, and you'll actually get to fight only when it's beneficiary to the opponent (but at that point, you refuse) or when the opponent has no creatures on board. That said, the push-and-pull of this card might make for some interesting games. In limited it would be a high pick (or at least I would pick it highly), and, seen its potential, I'm pretty sure it could see some standard play. To sum it up, both the results are very strong, but the fact that you don't get to choose which of them happens is what keeps this card in check, combined with the 4-power limitation, otherwise it'd be too strong for a 3-cmc card.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I must give you full marks in this category, as there is not a single card who grants tribute to all of your creatures, much less one that gives a "tribute not paid" trigger to your creatures.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Having studied Greek history and mythology, my first thought when I saw the name of the card was a MtG rendition of the "Apple of Discord" myth but, as it is, I must say that both the name and the flavor, while making a coherent narrative, are just a tad bland.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Should be "it may fight" (-0.5).

Total: 22/25
BaconCatBug
Show
Hide
BaconCatBug wrote:
3 years ago
Saldaean Ice Pepper UR
Artifact — Food (Rare)
U, T, Sacrifice Saldaean Ice Pepper: Tap up to two target creatures.
R, T, Sacrifice Saldaean Ice Pepper: It deals 3 damage to any target.
2, T: Sacrifice Saldaean Ice Pepper: You gain 3 life.
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Spike likes its efficiency. Nothing much here for the other two, since it's too small an effect for Txmmy and too linear for Jxnny (although, with some recursion, maybe...).
(3/3) Elegance - The card is very elegant and easily undertandable with a single read.

Development
(2/3) Viability - While the red and blue abilities are... well, red and blue, the lifegain part sticks out like a sore thumb, especially on an Izzet card (not really the lifegain combination). Also, this is one of the most underwhelming rares you could open in a pack. I feel like it's rare just for the challenge's sake, as I see no reason for this not to be an uncommon.
(2/3) Balance - The way I see it, there's no reason to use this card except for the red ability. Sure, you might eke out a win on the back of the blue tap ability every once in a blue moon, but that effect is so minor it'll go unused a good 99% of the time. In essence, the card feels weak and underwhelming, unless you're only using it for the red ability (which, at that point, just becomes a harder to cast Open Fire). This wouldn't definitely be a high pick in draft (nor a rare you'd be happy to open), and I doubt it would see play in constructed formats, unless there was a reliable way to loop it.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - There's no existing card that has the same exact rules text as this one, but all of its parts are something we've already seen plenty of times before.
(2/3) Flavor - The name feels a bit generic. Would've liked some flavor text to explain the deal with these chilly chillies.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Card name not in bold (-0.5).

Total: 18.5/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Garenbrig Delicacy XGG
Artifact Creature - Food Golem {R}
Trample
Garenbrig Delicacy's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Foods you control.
When Garenbrig Delicacy enters the battlefield, create X Food tokens.
Sacrifice two other Foods: Regenerate Garenbrig Delicacy.
2, T, Sacrifice Garenbrig Delicacy: You gain 3 life.
*/*
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Potentially huge beater? Sign Txmmy up! Lots of artifacts left behind? Sign Jxnny up! Incredibly efficient creature? Sign Spike up!
(2.5/3) Elegance - A bit wordy, but easily grokkable.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This would basically be Eldraine's version of a hydra, which is a hallmark green creature. All the parts of the card do something that green has been shown to have done in the past, so no color pie breaks, here. About the rarity, I could see this at either rare or mythic rare (depends on the environment, really).
(2.5/3) Balance - While not particularly splashable (and this is a good thing), this would be a windmill slam in limited, a rare that you'd always hope to open. The fact that it can come down on turn two and grow if your deck support a Food strategy only makes it more appealing. It's definitely a strong card, and I feel like it could do without either the trample or the regeneration clause (because it's also weird from a flavor standpoint that it consumes itself to regenerate), since it's a bit too strong and efficient as it is. This would definitely see play in standard, especially if they bring back important pieces of the Food archetype like Trail of Crumbs or Gilded Goose.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Feels pretty fresh as a card, since we still haven't had mass-Food production and consuming food to regenerate.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I get that it hails from Garenbrig and how it works, but a little less generic name/some flavor text would've helped.

Polish

Total: 23/25
Results
Show
Hide
Subject16 23.5
RaikouRider 23
slimytrout 22.5
Sagharri 22

Dragoon26 20
BaconCatBug 18.5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy obviously likes lots of lifegain and draw. Jxnny finds it to be maybe a bit generically powerful but could use both the draw and lifegain to trigger stuff. Spike likes an efficient control piece.
(2/3) Elegance - Not having the "actual" Food ability, even though this card has similar abilities, breaks expectations.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors are pretty obviously good (it's combination platter multicolor). Rarity looks fine; it would actually be odd to see this card at mythic.
(3/3) Balance - Powerful in a control deck but fairly costed.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Constant Sphinx's Revelation is something that hasn't been done before but is an "obvious" idea - I've actually made this card as an enchantment (and without the discard ability).
(3/3) Flavor - Works very well imo.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - "You GAIN", "Those who DESERVE it"
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21/25
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - It's a bit fiddly for Txmmy, but Jxnny and Spike are all over it, Spike especially for the hoser ability.
(1.5/3) Elegance - This card - wackily enough - has a fully redundant/strictly worse ability to another it has. It's also a bit wordy even though it's driving at one point.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Colors look more or less correct. Rarity is okay but this almost feels like a signpost uncommon for an archetype in Limited.
(2.5/3) Balance - In Limited this card would be absolutely fine, but in Constructed it does so much that it might be an unfair enabler for some archetype or another - just having this card in existence in Standard would limit the kind of sacrifice payoffs you could also have around.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - A bit of a combination/riff on Tempting Witch and Rain of Gore.
(3/3) Flavor - Very resonant and name is a good analogy with False Cure.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Mana symbols reversed.

Total: 19.5/25
Riria
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - It's too small of an effect for Txmmy and too niche for Spike most of the time but in the right deck they would use it. This is a Jxnny card through and through.
(3/3) Elegance - Looks good.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Feels like a white card, but could be uncommon even at legendary imo (but it's not absolutely wrong as rare).
(2.5/3) Balance - Fairly parasitic and unless you're using this as part of an engine, it's underwhelming. Only coming back at the beginning of your end step limits the utility of Food for saving you from lethal damage somewhat.

Creativity
(0.5/3) Uniqueness - Ultimately this is a perfectly regular Food that you can use over and over again.
(3/3) Flavor - If I could give more than 3 points here I would. A plate is a bit of an abstraction from/metonym for Food but the flavor text is so understatedly perfect.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looking good.

Total: 20/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - How can Txmmy not like this? It's reanimator bait for Jxnny and Spike and Jxnny also wants to access the eleven Foods.
(2.5/3) Elegance - I really wish this had the Food sacrifice ability itself because otherwise it's relatively hard for an indestructible creature to actually die.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity are in the right place.
(3/3) Balance - For eleven mana you get what you pay for. If you reanimate this, well, obviously it's a strong candidate for that, but that's okay. Reanimator decks have a place in this world.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Clearly a reference to Darksteel Colossus
(3/3) Flavor - Good stuff.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - 11 in the text should be eleven and as a subtype Food should be capitalized.

Total: 21.5/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(2,5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both love this; Spike hates randomness but if this effect does go off it's very powerful and a deck could be built around it.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Random choice always has a hint of inelegance to it.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look good.
(2/3) Balance - Quite swingy - the triggered ability can either whiff or end the game, after all. The Food ability is mostly for flavor/an emergency panic button clearly.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - The triggered ability is a fairly unique take on a Eureka-type effect. Instant, sorcery, and enchantment works well because not only are those relevant to red (instorcery) and green ('chant) but those are the "intangible magic" related types rather than the ones that represent something physical. I'm surprised they haven't been referenced together before.
(3/3) Flavor - Love it!

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looking fine.

Total: 22/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy LOVES the idea of beating someone to death with turkey legs. Jxnny wants to go to town with Puresteel Paladin exploiting the exponential nature of the copying. Spike prefers saboteur abilities to Sengir Vampire ones but could still find use for this, especially with being able to eat the copies.
(2/3) Elegance - This has a lot of text and creates token copies of itself - i.e. complex tokens.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity spot-on.
(3/3) Balance - Nothing that would be out of the question, especially on a rare.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - The only precedent for self-cloning Equipment is Bloodforged Battle-Axe.
(3/3) Flavor - A bit lurid, but absolutely flavorful.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Rakdos Riteknife tells me the Food ability should go above equip.

StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Recurring, pumping, removal-ing lifegain means something for everyone.
(2/3) Elegance - A bit complex in multiple ways.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Yeah, colors and rarity are what they should be.
(2/3) Balance - It's a self-recurring engine which, although it takes a lot of mana to do so, can eat up a lot of opposing creatures.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Besides the general precedent of BG +1/+1 or -1/-1 effects that have existed for a long time this is full of unique ideas.
(3/3) Flavor - Perfect. Don't eat strange mushrooms everyone!

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good to me.

Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Henlock 22.5
Lorn Asbord Schutta 22
Freyleyes 21.5
netn10 21

Riria 20
Pygyzy 19.5
Obviously this was a really close, and really high-scoring, round. I would have advanced everyone if I could but ultimately I had to nitpick in order to pick favorites - good job to everyone!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”