November CCL: Memories of the Lost

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

CCL November Signups/Round 1
"Memories of the Lost"
Based on Venser, the Sojourner, Jeska, Thrice Reborn and Dack Fayden, by Wizards of Coast and respectively by Eric Deschamps, Yongjae Choi and Eric Deschamps.

Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

This November CCL theme will be remembrance of those who have passed, in diffrent forms.

Challenge
Create a card for a deceased character from Magic that represents them while they were alive.
Clarification
Show
Hide
  • "While they were alive" means also pre-undead, even if they gained notoriety after becoming zombie, spirit or vampire. For instance, if you want to create card for Sedris, it should represent him before becoming undead overlord of Grixis.
  • Make sure to include rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Sunday November 8th, 12:00 EST.

Round 1 — Open to Everyone (November 1st–8th)
Round 2 — Open to Everyone (November 8th–15th)
Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due November 18th)
Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (November 18th–22st)
Top 8 Critiques (Due November 24rd)
Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (November 24th–28th)
Top 4 Critiques (Due November 30th)
Final (November, winner determined by public poll)

Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Yawgmoth, Father of Machines BBB
Legendary Artifact Creature - God (Mythic)
Indestructible
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on each nonartifact creature.
4/4

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Jarad, Bounty Hunter 1BG
Legendary Creature - Elf Rogue (R)
Deathtouch
Whenever another creature you control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Jarad, Bounty Hunter. Jarad fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"You can learn so much about a killer from the bodies they leave behind."
3/3

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Cylia, the First Anima 2G
Legendary Creature — Elf Shaman (R)
You may spend mana as though it were of any color to cast creature spells.
WUBRG, T: Put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. If its power is 5 or greater, it gains haste until end of turn.
"I am bound to Progenitus, and to all Alara."
2/3

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Josu the Betrayed 1WW
Legendary Creature — Human Knight (MR)
Vigilance
Eminence — At the beginning of your upkeep, if Josu the Betrayed is in the command zone or on the battlefield, you gain 2 life.
2w, T: Whenever you activate a loyalty ability this turn, copy that ability. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/3
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Dack, Light-Fingered Hero 3UR
Legendary Planeswalker - Dack (M)
+1: Discard a card. If you do, draw a card, then create a 1/1 blue and red Rogue creature token with "This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with defender."
-3: Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn. Creatures your opponents control get -1/-0 until end of turn.
-8: You get an emblem with "Creatures have haste. At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain control of all artifacts and all creatures."
{[5]}
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Turg, Anurid Colossus 5G
Legendary Creature--Frog Beast (Rare)
Turg has hexproof from its colors
1G: Turg becomes the color of your choice in addition to its other colors until end of turn
T: If target creature has flying, Turg deals damage equal to its power to that creature. Otherwise, Turg fights that creature
6/4
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Asha, Archangel of Vithia GGWWUU
Legendary Creature - Angel {M}
Flying, vigilance, lifelink, trample
GWU, Exile Asha, Archangel of Vithia: Return to their owners' hands each creature card in graveyards put there from the battlefield this turn.
She is Vithia's last line of defense against the necromancers' invasion.
6/6

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Giving this a bump for a couple more days left.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

I think it is reasonable to say, that ending the round at this moment is pointless.
We will extend until we have at least 9 entries and after this moment I will give a few hours more and we will start the second round then.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Serra, the Divine 2www
Legendary Planeswalker - Serra (m)
Whenever you cast a spell, put a loyalty counter on Serra, the Divine for each in that spell's mana cost.
0: Set your life total to X, where X is your devotion to white.
-1: Target creature you control gains protection from the color of your choice until your next turn.
- 3: Create a white Avatar creature token with flying and "This creature has base power and toughness each equal to your devotion to white."
//4
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Rorix Bladewing, Dragon Gladiator 1RRR
Legendary Creature - Dragon {M}
Flying, first strike
Instant and sorcery spells you cast that would cause one or more creatures to fight cost 3 less to cast.
Whenever a creature you control fights, that creature deals damage equal to its power to any target.
Rorix has indestructible as long as it's fought this turn.
4/3

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Now that we have 9 entries, the first round closes at 10th November at 12:00 AM of EST time, no matter what.
Get you entries in!

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Round is closed!
Please provide critiques for each of the seven contestants below, you looping if necessary. Provide also Top 3 from among them.

netn10
slimytrout
Subject16
Pygyzy
void_nothing
kwanyeegor-ii
RaikouRider
Henlock
MonoRedMage

Pygyzy

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Judging complete
T3: 1: Netn10
2: Kwanyeegor-ii
3: subject16

netn10
Show
Hide
Love everything about this.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Seems really strong
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Very fun card. I'd build a commander deck for this.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Haha. We really need a legendary Frog and this feels like a perfect fit.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Very nice.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Pretty nasty little walker. This could get mean real quick. I love it.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Very flavorful
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Bumping the thread. While there is seemingly a lot of time, do not fool yourself - the earlier you start the work, the more probable that you will end it.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Critiques
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii - Very flavorful given Turg's general abilities in the storyline. This is generically powerful enough to remind me of the "pit champions" from Onslaught.

RaikouRider - I guess resurrection is somewhat fitting as a marquee ability. Mechanically this is kinda similar to Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero, but Gerrard felt at least somewhat like both his colors; Asha doesn't really feel blue. I would have put "...and all creatures on the battlefield" in there, that would have been fun.

Henlock - Oooooh, full-power Serra? I really like the use of devotion here, it weirdly fits on Ulgrotha. Pity you can't really use Serra Avatar tokens for the ultimate because Ajani claimed that.

MonoRedMage - Hmm, you think this is meant to be used for a fight-themed deck? Very creative, but it's a pity it lacks green in the color identity.

netn10 - At three mana this is probably FAR too strong. In fact it should probably not be an artifact itself for both flavor and balance reasons. And it's odd to see God!Yawg as a 4/4. Still, the concept is very clean.

slimytrout - Very nice. Flavorfully fits with Jarad as he was in life and mechanically fits with the Golgari.

Subject16 - The abilities kind of clash with each other here, but the nods to Cylia's Nayan origin and to Progenitus are quite subtle. WUBRG is expensive compared to Elvish Piper but haste on a fatty can easily decide games.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. Henlock
3. Subject16

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Yet again, bumping the thread.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
netn10 - nice, great representation of yawgmoth as a god except for being smallish
slimytrout - really cool, but I would worry about this in limited... maybe should even be mythic
Subject16 - looks pretty nice, not sure if the activated ability is too strong or too weak though lmao
Pygyzy - that eminence ability is way too good... remember how annoying people thought Oloro, Ageless Ascetic was... plus copying abilities is not white
RaikouRider - actually don't know this lore so idk if this represents asha well, but doesn;t seem like a blue card
Henlock - hmm I know serra was considered a goddess but IDK if devotion fits her character. plushing to monowhite is fitting for her though. all cool abilities too
MonoRedMage - Okay this one is cool, I think a edh deck with him would be a blast lol
top 3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 netn10
3 monoredmage
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bump!

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Been busier than usual recently, just a T3 for now, will get to critiques if I have time:

1. void_nothing
2. Subject16
3. Henlock

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

In the same situation as slimy.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. void_nothing
2. slimytrout
3. netn10

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

complete
Show
Hide

Monoredmage: Figjting is secondary in red, but there are not many effects. which makes Rorix Bladewing pretty limited. The most interesting twist in red to fighting is the possibility of having creatures yoi don't control figjt each other and the cost reduction can help those effects, as tjey are rather expensive and it is nice to see sonething that would incentivize playing those. 2rr might have been good to make it more splashable into green.

netn10: I don't really like it being a artufact. As a nonartifact 4/4 indestructible it would clock for a big while and sevweely hinder creature-based strategies.

slimeytrout: I feel a bit like with netn10's. The deathtouch makes it a too tight of a package, and I think it would be awesome without it.

Subject16: Fixing and a 5-color identity makes this already pretty solid as a commander. With a tjematic ability sich as this one I think we have a solid candidate foe the command zone I like how these two work: While you:re fixing up your mana to activate the ability, you get to not worry about color for casting creatures. The ability is expensive but haste can be really crucial. I would love to build something around this one.

Pygzy: While whte does care about planeswalkers, copying abilities is probably a bad wording for the color. An Oath of Teferi-like wording would be better fit. I don't like the lifegain in a commander that cares about planeswalkers since a lot ofcombat damage is bound to be oriented towards your planeswalker.

voidnothing: I like the + but the -3 ability feels too weak.. I think the emblem.of the ulti should say "until end of turn", since it would be really hard to kill.you and I. picture the game stalling while your opponwnt tries to amass a hand able to alpha-strike you at once.

kwanyegoe: I'm.not sure about the hexproof-on-demand but sure it is.far less powerful than plain hexproof, so I guess it's ok. I like the wxtra edge againa fliers.
1. Subject16
2. Kwanywgor
3. Monoredmage

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Judgments are closed.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”