Locked Previous topicNext topic
slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

CCL October Top 5
"Nemesis"
Single Combat, by Livia Prima
Theme

October is upon us, so it's time for a month of villainy here in the CCL. (We have a Top 5 because two players were tied for 4th.)

Challenge:
Design a Legendary card that is an enemy of your villain AND a card representing the conflict between them and your villain.

Participants:
@Subject16
@Raptorchan
@Henlock
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Lorn Asbord Schutta

Clarification
Show
Hide
  • Once again, the Legendary card can be either a creature or a planeswalker (or something else if you can make it work).
  • The enemy does not have to be a "good guy" -- plenty of villains have enemies who are also villains.
  • The other card can be any card type, although make sure that it actually represents both your villain and their nemesis fighting (examples include Single Combat and Kiora Bests the Sea God).
  • The cards can be any combination of colors.
  • Make sure to include rarity.
Your submissions are due Sunday November 1st, 23:59 EST.
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (October 1st–8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (October 10th–16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due October 19th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (October 20th–24th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due October 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 5 finishers (October 28th–1st)
  • Top 5 Critiques (Due November 4th)
  • Final (November, winner determined by public poll)

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

Evita, Bishop of Redemption 3wb
Legendary Creature - Vampire Cleric (M)
Whenever a creature card leaves a graveyard, you gain life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
Whenever one or more creatures you control attack, you may return a creature card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the number of attacking creatures to the battlefield tapped and attacking.
4/4

Clash of Notions 1b
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature attacks, its controller may pay 1 life. If they do, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2w: Target creature you control gains lifelink until end of turn.
One had nothing but rage. The other had nothing but faith. Neither wanted to concede.

slimytrout

12 hours left in this so get your entries in! Since we have an extra contestant in this round and we're already a bit behind, I will close it at midnight if we have 4 entries. (Unless people need an extension, which I'd be happy to grant, but I don't want to just leave it open forever on the hopes that people get around to it.)

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Bogardan Isle
Legendary Land — Mountain (M)
(: Add )
Bogardan Isle enters the battlefield tapped.
As long as Bogardan Isle is tapped, permaments your opponents control lose indestructible and can't have or gain indestructible.
: Bogardan Isle deals 3 damage to target creature or player. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.

Toll of War
Enchantment (M)
At the beginning of each upkeep, each player sacrifices a permament of the most common type among all permaments or tied for most common.
Ferocious Bogardians were locked in struggle with imperious lich Nevinyrral for years. When the mage finally succumbed, barbarians couldn't bring themselves to say that they've won.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Rendclaw, Okiba Matriarch
Show
Hide
Rendclaw, Okiba Matriarch 3BB
Legendary Creature — Rat Ninja (Mythic)
Ninjutsu 2BB (2BB, Return an unblocked creature you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield tapped an attacking.)
Whenever a Rat you control deals combat damage to a player, create a 1/1 black Rat creature token.
4BB: Target player loses 1 life for each Rat you control.
5/4
Goro, Heir to Hidetsugu 3BR
Legendary Creature — Ogre Shaman (M)
Whenever you cast a Spirit, Arcane, or historic spell, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it. It becomes a Demon Spirit and gains haste until end of turn. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)
1BR, Sacrifice another creature: Each player loses life equal to the sacrificed creature's power.
"Go forth and sow chaos."
4/3

Oni Massacre 3BB
Sorcery — Arcane (R)
Destroy all nonlegendary creatures.
"Goro's followers break all tradition. To call these merciless thugs a crime family is an affront to all we stand for."
—Rendclaw, Okiba Matriarch

slimytrout

@kwanyeegor-ii and @Henlock -- any sense of when you'll be able to submit designs?

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Glissa, Savior of the Suns 1GG
Legendary Creature--Elf (Rare)
Protection from artifacts
XGG, T: Destroy all artifacts with converted mana cost X. Put X +1/+1 counters on Glissa. Spend only green mana on X.
2/2

Duel for Mirrodin 4GG
Enchantment (Rare)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses target creature they control and target creature they don't control. Those creatures fight.
Whenever a creature dies the same turn it was dealt noncombat damage, each of that creature's controller's opponents may put an artifact or creature card from their hand onto the battlefield
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Ok, we're at 4 entries now -- I'm going to give @Henlock 2 more hours to enter, but I'm officially closing the round at noon EST.

slimytrout

Round is closed! Please critique the other three contestants and arrange them into a Top 3.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Eudaimones the Cynic Martyr 1wbg
Legendary Creature - Human Rebel Advisor (m)
Lifelink, indestructible
Whenever Eudaimones is dealt damage, you may pay that much life. If you do, draw a card.
2/2

Agrarian Reform 1ww
Enchantment (r)
At the beginning of your end step, if an opponent controls more lands than you, you may search your library for a basic Plains card and put it onto the battlefield tapped.
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, if no opponent controls more lands than you, create two 1/1 white Peasant creature tokens.

slimytrout

Hi all, Henlock reached out to me and asked if they could put their entry in late because no one had submitted critiques yet. In the interest of openness, I said that they could, but in the interest of fairness I am offering the rest of you an option if you disagree with my choice: simply send me a DM saying that you don't wish for Henlock's entry to be included (no explanation necessary) and I will revoke their entry, keeping your identity anonymous of course. I hope this seems okay to all of you; I am doing my best to take into account competing interests here, but I make no promises that my decisions are actually correct and I welcome your feedback.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Isnt more participation better? imo it is
crits
Show
Hide
raptorchan: I like both designs... very lenticular. Is the legend finally the card that would use desecrated tomb in its edh deck lol? the enchantment is cool because it's symmetrical yet not

lorn asbord schutta: Definitely very flavorful, both cards... bogardan isle seems too strong with the activated ability not needing a T. Toll of War would probably most often hit lands. Some aggressive and token decks would lose creatures to it and some artifact combo decks would lose artifacts. but mostly it seems like more brutal Limited Resources or Collapsing Borders

subject16: spirit arcane or historic is 5 types of spells so that might be hard to keep track of. but Goro looks like a good commander. Does destroy all nonlegendaries really not exist?

Henlock: indestructible and repeated card draw make the legend pushed... agrarian reform's token making looks maybe too powerful yet i like the flavor, more of a political conflict than violent
t3
Show
Hide
1. Raptorchan
2. Subject16
3. Henlock
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta
A land as a nemesis? This is fresh. Unfortunately, the land itself is kinda broken. Even for a mythic. I've seen cards that cost much more and do less,
The second card seems interesting from the first glance, but let's be real - it will always cause players to sacrifice lands. Just maths.

Subject16
Goro is a dangerous card. I like the idea, but maybe, just maybe, you should have been keeping closer to original Kamigawa theme - the historic clause makes it a bit too broad for my tastesm and, you know, an ability to sacrifice a thing you just got control of is just nasty. At least it costs three mana...
The second card is kinda boring - too similar to Urza's Ruinous Blast but not even legendary.

kwanyeegor-ii
The main problem I have with this card is the fact you don't even need artifacts to put counters on Glissa. Other than this, it has a right to exist.
Duel of Mirrodin is good even though it resembles Guild Feud a lot and has slightly incorrect wording. A real Timmy card a Timmy like me would love to play.

Henlock
I like the idea of the martyr, but the lifelink kinda defeats this exact idea, idk. Well. I shouldn't be the one complaining about it since my second card works in kinda similar way.
Agrarian Reform may look dangerous but actually you will create tokens less often than expected, so I should say it's fine.
Show
Hide
1) kwanyeegor-ii
2) Henlock
3) Lorn Asbord Schutta

slimytrout

I'm leaving crits open for an additional 24 hours due to the delay in getting all the entries in -- that is, I'm hoping to close it in a little over 30 hours. But please try to get your crits (or at least T3's) in by then so we can get to the finals!

slimytrout

@Henlock @Subject16 @Lorn Asbord Schutta please try to get in at least a T3 if you can! No one likes waiting forever for to find out what the votes were! (Is it too soon?)

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Raptorchan wrote:
3 years ago
Evita, Bishop of Redemption 3wb
Legendary Creature - Vampire Cleric (M)
Whenever a creature card leaves a graveyard, you gain life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
Whenever one or more creatures you control attack, you may return a creature card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the number of attacking creatures to the battlefield tapped and attacking.
4/4

Clash of Notions 1b
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature attacks, its controller may pay 1 life. If they do, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2w: Target creature you control gains lifelink until end of turn.
One had nothing but rage. The other had nothing but faith. Neither wanted to concede.
Tormod's Crypt says "Hi!". Also, the second ability of Evita reminds me of Alesha, Who Smiles at Death. I think it ought to have red somewhere in it due to this, but "put tapped and attacking" does come outside of red from time to time. Evita asks for a Orzohv tokens, which is supported for vampires enough, but I am not sure if I like that there is no need for Evita to actually attack. The 4/4 body for 5 is not enough this days - disregarding whether is that right or wrong - and with no keywords to help I feel the Evita might end up as an enchantment that is just more prone to be destroyed.
The actual enchantment is interesting at first glance, but the activated ability breaking the parity means that either some aggro deck manages to outrace you, or you stabilize firmly. When you consider that your deck would probably already have lifelinkers, it turns this card into a black riff on Glorious Anthem. Interesting riff, but I am not sure if it works in actual play.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Goro, Heir to Hidetsugu 3BR
Legendary Creature — Ogre Shaman (M)
Whenever you cast a Spirit, Arcane, or historic spell, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it. It becomes a Demon Spirit and gains haste until end of turn. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)
1BR, Sacrifice another creature: Each player loses life equal to the sacrificed creature's power.
"Go forth and sow chaos."
4/3

Oni Massacre 3BB
Sorcery — Arcane (R)
Destroy all nonlegendary creatures.
"Goro's followers break all tradition. To call these merciless thugs a crime family is an affront to all we stand for."
—Rendclaw, Okiba Matriarch
That is a lot of types in Goro's triggered ability. I see why this combination - if they return to Kamigawa, it would certainly be a good plane to return "Historic-matters" theme and both Spirits and Arcane are obvious. But I think they would not wind up on the one card, but rather be two standalone themes among the others. I am afraid especially artifact heavy decks with a bunch of cantripping, low cost cards turning this into early Insurrection. Also, this control change might be done in instant, which opens some strange Rakdos "fog" built - maybe it would be fun, actually? Probably the biggest offender is repeatable, instant speed and upgraded Slave of Bolas here, which pushes this cad way too far. The typeline change is a nice nod to Oni Possession, I like it in terms of flavour.
On the other hand, Oni Massacre is bland. It would certainly looked better without Urza's Ruinous Blast, but well, ideas are slowly used up. Also, I have slight dissonance between this flavour text and the flavour of the Okiba-Gang Racketeer.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Glissa, Savior of the Suns 1GG
Legendary Creature--Elf (Rare)
Protection from artifacts
XGG, T: Destroy all artifacts with converted mana cost X. Put X +1/+1 counters on Glissa. Spend only green mana on X.
2/2

Duel for Mirrodin 4GG
Enchantment (Rare)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses target creature they control and target creature they don't control. Those creatures fight.
Whenever a creature dies the same turn it was dealt noncombat damage, each of that creature's controller's opponents may put an artifact or creature card from their hand onto the battlefield
You had to put up against old Glissa Sunseeker - a difficult task - and I have to say that I am torn on it. On one hand old Glissa had really unique ability, one that is almost untouched ground even today and your Glissa is a mix of diffrent cards put together in unseen version before, but still being a mix. On the other hand it captures the flavour really well, uplifting the old card to more modern style in respectful way.
Duel for Mirrodin asks for some Blazing Volley-Wrath of God combo. It feels like win-more card in mono-green, because if you dropped this enchantment and can stomp opponent's creatures with yours it means you are leading in late game already. While it has a fine interaction with mostly red, it is really late with six mana enchantment to capitilize on shocks, I think.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Eudaimones the Cynic Martyr 1wbg
Legendary Creature - Human Rebel Advisor (m)
Lifelink, indestructible
Whenever Eudaimones is dealt damage, you may pay that much life. If you do, draw a card.
2/2

Agrarian Reform 1ww
Enchantment (r)
At the beginning of your end step, if an opponent controls more lands than you, you may search your library for a basic Plains card and put it onto the battlefield tapped.
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, if no opponent controls more lands than you, create two 1/1 white Peasant creature tokens.
Pestilence makes for good saints, seriously. While the 2 life-1 card ratio is not the best, when we toss having possibly only creature on board and a lifelinker to boot it becomes more menageable. Other then this Eudaimones is a tricky card, because you probably want to chump-block with it, but at the same time chumping with it would probably prevent you from drawing. Would it make our Cynic Martyr an overglorified three-colored wall not suitable for Doran, the Siege Tower? Probably, but maybe some poeple would dust off the Healing Salve and other partial damage protection.
Agrarian Reform is another "ramp to not get horribly behind" for white that WOTC gives as of late to help white in commander and without the second clause it would be boring. However, with it I can see shaneningas to be had, for instance turning fetches into chumps for blocks. It is actually an intersting pay-off for Harrow decks and others that are into land based ramp or in multiple landfall triggers... but it begins to feel not really white, doesn't it?
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Kwanyeegor-ii
2. Henlock
3. Raptorchan

slimytrout

Leaving critiques open until the morning as I'm hoping to do better than 60% judging, but I will post the finals in the morning no matter what.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Raptorchan; Evita has the potential.of combo-shooting people within the right build. Stuff like Tormod's crypt or Remorseful Cleric can give you the final blow. It reminds me of a card I used to play as a finisher ages ago Haunting Misery,
But I oike that it can be of great use in an aggro build, which is something that vampires do very well. I have some power level concerns, but the fact that tjis can be very goof in different kind of builds is really appealing.

The enchantment is a quite limited form.of anthem, but the lifelink granting ability gives it an edge when your board starts to get wide. There is a lot of tension tjere, as this works for a strategy where creatures are smaller and fast mana is important. I think you made two very interesting cards.

Lord Asborn Ascuta: Repeatable damage on a land is quite dangeeous. I like the enchantment as a way to slowly shave lands, These cards are difficult as making them easier to cast can turn them.into very oppressive stuff, but a mardu deck with a low curve could put this to good use in some situations.

Subject16: Goro's last ability feels like a mistake for me. A built-in way to kill the creatures and even do more damage seems a bit too powerful. specially since Historic triggers can be very, very cheap. The wrath is ok, and fits with the Historic theme.

Kwanyegor: A green artifact hoser. I think that the ability to destroy artifacts paired withbthe protection might be a bit oppressive, but artifavt decks are known to blow eveeything up from time to time, so I guess it is ok. It is a bit awckward on the mama if you need to remove a specific artifact costing 3 or more, but the counters make up for it.
Tje enchantment looks quite fun but I would have kept it on a fight trigger so as to not have red sneaking into the payoffs.

1. Raptorchan
2. Kwanyegor
3. Subject16

slimytrout

And this month's finalists are @kwanyeegor-ii and @Raptorchan! Finals will be posted shortly!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”