October MCC, Round 3: Never Stop Attacking

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Waves of Aggression by Jim Pavelec and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
October MCC, Round 3 - Never Stop Attacking

Welcome to the October MCC! It's Combat Month here at the MCC. The challenges this month will all have something to do with the combat phase and its different steps.

Main Challenge: Design a card with "additional combat phase" in its rules text
Subchallenge 1: Your card is not red
Subchallenge 2: Your card is a creature

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Tuesday, October 27th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Friday, October 30th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
Dragoon26
slimytrout

Players:
@Subject16
@netn10
@StonerOfKruphix
@Henlock
@Lorn Asbord Schutta
@Riria
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Stealer of Night's Shine 2B
Creature - Rat Ninja (Mythic)
Menace
Ninjutsu 4B
Whenever three or more Ninjas you control deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice one of them. If you do, untap all Ninjas you control. After this phase there's an additional combat phase.
4/1

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

I'm very frustrated at Finest Hour for already existing right now.

Render of Loyalties 4WW
Creature — Eldrazi (Mythic)
Devoid (This card has no color.)
When you cast this spell, tap all creatures target player controls.
Whenever Render of Loyalties attacks for the first time each turn, defending player may skip their next combat step. If they don't, untap all creatures you control and after this phase, there is an additional combat phase.
3/7

Riria

Post by Riria » 3 years ago

Idk if this breaks the "spirit" of the challenge but it sounded too cool to not do it.

Time Lord Darryl 1U
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (MR)
WW: After this step there is an additional upkeep. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.
1UU: After this step there is an additional draw step. Activate this ability only during your draw step.
2RR: Untap all creatures you control. After this step there is an additional combat phase. Activate this ability only during end of combat.
0/1

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 3 years ago

Amaya, Voice of the Gargantuans 1GG
Legendary Creature — Elf Shaman (M)
Whenever another nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it. Then, if its power is 5 or greater, draw a card.
4{R/W}{R/W}: Untap all creatures you control. After this main phase, there is an additional combat phase. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only if creatures you control have total power 15 or greater.
"Hear their roar! Fight the invaders!"
2/4

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Pradia, the Manifest Destiny 2ruw
Legendary Creature - Avatar Advisor(m)
Creatures your opponents control are goaded.
After the first combat phase on each opponent's turn, untap all creatures that attacked this turn. There is an additional combat phase.
Wealth and power are just mere aids to progress. Its true measure is the perfection of principles and the beauty of civilization.
3/5

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Push Back!
Sorcery (M)
Creatures you control gain vigilance until end of turn.
If you blocked creatures with total power 7 or more since your last turn, after this main phase there is an additional combat phase.
"Our blades have shattered from their assaults. But not our spirit! Until we can clench fists, until we can stand, until the last drop of blood we will fight! With me, for Serra, for Benalia, for victory!"
—Danitha Capashen

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Seems as though everyone's entered and - I hope - is satisfied with their entries. It's time therefore to judge.

This is the versus round. Each judge will get two pairings and the highest total score per pairing will advance to the final.

void_nothing:
netn10 vs. Riria
Subject16 vs. StonerOfKruphix

Dragoon26:
Subject16 vs. StonerOfKruphix
Henlock vs. Lorn Asbord Schutta

slimytrout:
Henlock vs. Lorn Asbord Schutta
netn10 vs. Riria
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Henlock
Show
Hide
Pradia, the Manifest Destiny 2ruw
Legendary Creature - Avatar Advisor(m)
Creatures your opponents control are goaded.
After the first combat phase on each opponent's turn, untap all creatures that attacked this turn. There is an additional combat phase.
Wealth and power are just mere aids to progress. Its true measure is the perfection of principles and the beauty of civilization.
3/5
Design
(2/3) Appeal — Spike likes the possibility of your opponents' creatures throwing themselves into blockers, but is pretty wary of a card that gives your opponents extra value in the form of an additional combat step. Timmy loves that opponents' creatures are attacking because it opens up the possibility for them to attack, but does wish that they got the additional step. Johnny loves crazy stuff like this.
(2.5/3) Elegance — There's only ever been one card without the goad reminder text (Grenzo, Havoc Raiser), and it can be a bit confusing due to having multiple parts, so a slight ding for not including that.

Development
(3/3) Viability — This could definitely be at rare in a commander deck, which is realistically where it's getting printed, but nothing wrong with mythic since these sorts of things are more flexible in precon products. Jeskai has had a similar combat-warping commander with Pramikon, Sky Rampart so that's fine.
(3/3) Balance — Obviously evaluating this for commander (or at least multiplayer) since that's where it makes sense. This is not really my strong suit, but it seems to me like it would be pretty strong while also not being oppressive, since, just for a few examples, it does very little to non-creature based strategies and leads to unfortunate results if your opponents have creatures with T abilities.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness — Was fully prepared to give this full points, and then I found Illusionist's Gambit, which has already delved into this design space. But still, has it's own unique twist.
(2/3) Flavor — I don't want to assume country of origin, but certainly in the American school system "manifest destiny" is kind of a loaded term, since it is all wrapped up in the killing and displacement of Native Americans and it subsequently inspired the Nazi concept of Lebensraum. All of which is to say that it's not a concept I expect WotC to be naming a card after any time soon, given their recent housecleaning.

Polish
(3/3) Quality — All good.
(2/2) Main Challenge — Yep.
(1/2) Subchallenges — Is red.

Total: 20.5/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Push Back!
Sorcery (M)
Creatures you control gain vigilance until end of turn.
If you blocked creatures with total power 7 or more since your last turn, after this main phase there is an additional combat phase.
"Our blades have shattered from their assaults. But not our spirit! Until we can clench fists, until we can stand, until the last drop of blood we will fight! With me, for Serra, for Benalia, for victory!"
—Danitha Capashen
Design
(0.5/3) Appeal — Spike doesn't want to risk this card being the worst-ever Makindi Patrol. Johnny doesn't like that it only works if your opponent attacks. Timmy likes extra combat steps, but doesn't like that it depends on your opponent's power.
(2/3) Elegance — It did take me two reads to figure out what "Blocked creatures with total power 7 or more since your last turn" exactly meant, but that's probably just me being slow. The real problem is that this should probably have "followed by an additional main phase," a la Resurgence. This could also go in quality, but I think it probably works within the rules but would just have wonky effects.

Development
(1/3) Viability — I really don't think that tracking things that happened last turn is a realistic option. If you have this in hand you can probably keep track of whether it's turned on, but what if you top-deck it? Then you have to try to reconstruct combat from last turn, and what if there were pump spells, and it's a whole mess, not to mention all the opportunities to "misremember" what happened. Also, this should not be a mythic: there's a very clear pattern the only mythic cards that grant extra combat steps are creatures that do it repeatedly, while the instants/sorceries etc. are all rare.
(1.5/3) Balance — Quite weak, considering the setup cost. At its best, this is a Resurgence without the first strike – which would be too good at WWW but not *that* much too good considering that Resurgence had the added flexibility of being a split card. But the setup cost is very high, and is probably met on <10% of turns – honestly, if it just had "if you blocked last turn" I think that would be enough of a hoop to jump through to justify the lower (but more color-intensive) cost.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness — As I've said multiple times, the main text is just like Resurgence, so the points are really for the blocking condition, which definitely is fairly new, although I'm not sure in a fun way.
(2.5/3) Flavor — Basically works, although "until" doesn't make any sense in the flavor text. It really needs to be "while we can stand" but then it doesn't work with the "last drop of blood."

Polish
(3/3) Quality — All good.
(1/2) Subchallenges — Not a creature.

Total: 15.5/25
P.S.: I didn't really mean to be as harsh on this card as I ended up being – I honestly was pretty surprised when I tallied up the points. But I do think that few things get players more annoyed than a weak, unappealing mythic rare (except an absurdly busted one), so I guess that's my defense.
netn10
Show
Hide
Stealer of Night's Shine 2B
Creature - Rat Ninja (Mythic)
Menace
Ninjutsu 4B
Whenever three or more Ninjas you control deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice one of them. If you do, untap all Ninjas you control. After this phase there's an additional combat phase.
4/1
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal — Spike likes the trickiness of ninjas in general, as well as the challenge of knowing when to trade resources for tempo. Johnny really wants to figure out a way to make this go infinite. Timmy likes extra combat steps, but doesn't like that he has to sacrifice a guy to get it.
(3/3) Elegance — All good.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability — A mythic should probably have less of a hefty setup cost than this, or at least a cheaper ninjutsu cost (we've never seen a ninja with a larger ninjutsu cost than mana cost). But definitely feels mythic, so I'm not taking away a full point.
(2/3) Balance — Along similar lines, I think this could actually have been pushed a good bit more. For one thing, the ninjutsu cost is too high, as I said – it will only ever be worth ninjutsuing this if you're already hitting with two other ninjas. Hitting with three ninjas is a big ask (see Admiral Beckett Brass), especially because people will tend to block your other ninjas since they also have powerful triggers when they connect, and *then* you have to sacrifice a creature to get the extra step. Obviously I see why this is, 'cuz otherwise the trigger is close to reading "defending player loses the game," but (and here I'm editorializing a bit) I think it would be more fun if it read "you may return one of them to its owner's hand." That way it sets up for more ninjutsu shenanigans in the future.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness — The pieces mostly exist in other places (other than the sacrifice), but the overall package feels quite new. Would have given you full points if not for the aforementioned Pirate.
(3/3) Flavor — Really like it.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality — I'm nearly certain that ninjutsu should come before menace – every other Ninja has it as the very first text, although admittedly none of those have keyword abilities. But it is also true that while Ninjutsu is not actually an additional cost, it is akin to one, and there are plenty of examples of those coming first.
(2/2) Subchallenges — Yep yep.

Total: 22/25
Riria
Show
Hide
Time Lord Darryl 1U
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (MR)
WW: After this step there is an additional upkeep. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.
1UU: After this step there is an additional draw step. Activate this ability only during your draw step.
2RR: Untap all creatures you control. After this step there is an additional combat phase. Activate this ability only during end of combat.
0/1
Design
(3/3) Appeal — Full points! Spike loves all these different ways to trade mana for resources. Johnny loves enabling multiple combos all at once. Timmy probably likes it rather than loves it, but they're still very down to draw a bunch of cards and attack over and over.
(2.5/3) Elegance — I think it would be better if it just said "Activate this ability only during combat." Unless you're attacking with Darryl, it shouldn't make a great deal of difference, and it would be very easy to accidentally skip over the seldom-used "end of combat" step and then be unable to activate him.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability — Mostly okay, but I don't see why white is the "extra upkeep" color, other than for symmetry. Currently, blue is the only color to get this with Paradox Haze.
(0.5/3) Balance — Yikes, I think all of these are undercosted. I don't see a two-card combo that allows you to get infinite mana, but there's definitely a three-card with Shizuko, Caller of Autumn and Mycosynth Lattice or Chromatic Orrery. Treasure Trove is a 4-mana enchantment with just a more expensive version of the middle ability (although admittedly one that can be done at instant speed, so this is probably the closest to balanced costing). And compare the final ability to either Relentless Assault or Hellkite Charger and you can see why it's way too strong.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness — Yeah, I mean, there's never been a card like this before.
(1.5/3) Flavor — "Time Lord Darryl"? Time Lord is treading dangerously close to another IP, and Darryl is… Darryl. Some legends do have common English names (Rowan and Will Kenrith, Thalia, Edgar Markov) but they are done sparingly and typically on planes that are explicitly European-inspired. This one just doesn't do it for me.

Polish
(3/3) Quality — I don't see any problems.
(2/2) Subchallenges — Yep yep. Card definitely isn't red, so I don't think this violates the spirit of the subchallenge, if that was what you meant. (Also, in the future don't post anything along with your card – I'm not DQing you because this one was way more likely to cost you points by making me try to consider whether it violated the spirit of the challenge than to gain you them, but it's a fine line.)

Total: 20/25
Results
Show
Hide
Henlock: 20.5
Lorn Asbord Schutta: 15.5

netn10: 22
Riria: 20

Dragoon26

Post by Dragoon26 » 3 years ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes big Eldrazi that can potentially give them an extra combat. I think Spike could find some appeal in this on occasion. The upside of either mode is enough to justify giving your opponent that choice.
(2.5/3) Elegance - It feels weird in a good way. Eldrazi cards like this should feel weird.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Solidly white, solidly mythic.
(3/3) Balance - This isn't going to do much against a non creature-centric deck. But against aggressive decks, the choice to give up your combat step and potentially lose a race or give the opponent an extra combat step and still potentially lose a race can be back-breaking. Making it 6 mana does prevent it from coming out too early and locking the aggro player out of the game. It feels like there are enough checks and balances on this card to keep it from getting too out of hand.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - White having the ability to grant extra combat phases is definitely something that hasn't been explored much, and this feels like a very white way of accomplishing that.
(2/3) Flavor - The name doesn't jive as well with the flavor. "Render of Loyalties" makes me think of a Threaten effect. Outside of that, the card is just oozing with weird Eldrazi vibes and I love it.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - No issues.
(2/2) Main Challenge - Additional combat, check.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Not red, is a creature.

Total: 22/25
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes making their creatures bigger and taking extra combat phases. I can imagine Johnny trying to pull off some combo with this + Sylvan Awakening + some way to grant vigilance. It's a little too win-more for Spike, but there are some aspects that they can find appealing, such as drawing cards.
(2/3) Elegance - The card is a little wordy overall, but the flavor and mechanics match nicely.

Development
(3/3) Viability - I see no major issues. This would for sure be a bomb in limited and warrants the mythic rarity.
(2/3) Balance - I feel like the card is just fine without the activated ability, though maybe it would be better as a rare instead of a mythic at that point. But the activated ability feels so over the top that it's almost flavor text. If you have 15+ power on the board and your cretures have been drawing you extra cards, you're probably not going to need an extra combat phase to put the game away.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Pretty much all aspects of this card have been seen before in various other forms. Despite the repackaging, the card is very splashy.
(3/3) Flavor - I do like the flavor of growing your army and inciting them to rage and what not. Feels very Naya.

Polish
(2/2) Subchallenges - Not red, is a creature.

Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Timmy likes getting everyone else's blockers out of the way so they can attack. I'm not seeing much combo potential for Johnny. The Spikes of EDH I don't think would find this very appealing, as it doesn't help them win the game, nor does it disrupt their opponents enough to prevent them from winning the game.
(3/3) Elegance - Simple and easliy grokkable.

Development
(3/3) Viability - I've always approached judging these games as if the cards were going to appear in a Standard-legal set, unless the round rules state or allude to otherwise; I think that used to be an actual clarification in these competitions. Granted, I've been participating in these games for longer than Commander-specific products have been a thing, so maybe that philosophy has changed over time. It's obvious that this was meant for Commander, as it would never be viable for Standard, so I'll judge it on those merits since Commander-specific cards are being more common these days. That being said, I see no major issues with this. It's appropriately Mythic and looks to be a good bit of fun in a multiplayer game. I'm still a little taken aback that this is effectively a 5-mana Blazing Archon in a 2-player format, but assuming this were in a Commander product, I can't imagine this making much of an impact on Legacy or Vintage. While no single aspect of the card feels very blue, the card overall feels very Jeskai from a "political manipulation" standpoint.
(3/3) Balance - I really like the aggressive element this adds to a multiplayer game. I don't really enjoy playing multiplayer EDH all that much because most games devolve into players turtling up until they can resolve their haymakers, which can really drag games out. This forces interaction between players to push games to a faster, natural conclusion. I would legitimately like to see this card see print at some point.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I'm actually kind of surprised that an effect like this hasn't been printed before.
(1.5/3) Flavor - I don't really follow the flavor text and how it relates to getting your opponents to fight amongst themselves. Overall, the card feels very "political" which is a pretty common theme among Jeskai Commander cards.

Polish
(1/2) Subchallenges - It's red.

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Timmy likes getting extra combat steps, but the blocking requirement is unappealing.
(2/3) Elegance - It's not that difficult to understand, and the mechanics do a nice job of representing the flavor of the card.

Development
(1/3) Viability - Tracking how many power worth of creatures you blocked last turn is a nightmare, especially if the card isn't already in your hand for you to be thinking about it. Boardstates can quickly change between turns, and being asked to effectively recreate the entire combat phase from your previous turn and have both players agree on it is logistically too much, in my opinion. Other than that, the card isn't overly egregious, as it is appropriately white and appropriately mythic.
(1/3) Balance - So, if you're not getting the bonus combat step, the card is horribly underpowered. 3 mana for vigilance to your team is a terrible rate. Logistics of tracking what blocked last turn aside, there are other factors working against this card. Decks that generally would want a 3 mana extra combat phase card like this are going to be low to the ground aggressive decks. Those decks don't really do a lot of blocking to begin with. And white's creatures (the cost is prohibitive enough that this is unlikely to be played outside of a mono white deck) are usually so small that if they do end up blocking, they aren't going to survive until the next turn to take advantage of the extra combat, provided you blocked enough power for the extra combat to happen. It's just a combination of things that look neat on paper, but in execution aren't really going to line up well for the card to actually work most of the time.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - I was honestly skeptical at first about white granting extra combat steps, and while there hasn't been a mono white card that does it, there is precedent in some RW cards, so I do think this is an interesting design space to play around in.
(3/3) Flavor - Despite everything else about the card not really working well, I think the flavor is top notch.

Polish
(1/2) Subchallenges - Not a creature.

Total: 16/25
Results
Show
Hide
Subject16 - 22
StonerOfKruphix - 20.5

Henlock - 20.5
Lorn Asbord Schutta - 16

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - All-rounder - every single psychographic has different ideas for how to exploit that ability.
(3/3) Elegance - Most elegant card in the round by far imho.

Development
(3/3) Viability - If black got extra combat phases I'm convinced it would do so with massive amounts of sacrifice. The Ninja part also makes great sense. Rarity is necessary.
(2.5/3) Balance - A long time ago, I made a card with a seriously similar triggered ability, as a BR legend, for a little game called the Magic Wars on MTGS. It was rightly considered very strong, but it didn't have a tribal restriction. You can go "infinite" with this, or at least set kill opponents through repeated combats, but you gotta be all-in on Ninja tribal. Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow EDH players would salivate over this though.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - A number of unique ideas here and this does feel like a black version of extra combats, which is unprecedented, but this also feels rather like a Colorshift Game take on Combat Celebrant.
(3/3) Flavor - I REALLY like that name.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 23.5/25
Riria
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy for the combats, Jxnny for the upkeeps, Spike for the draws.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Drives at a single idea, but all those activated abilities make this a wordy card.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Blue and draw steps: Absolutely. Red and combat phases: Not even a question. White and upkeeps: What's the connection? The only "additional upkeep" card, Paradox Haze, is blue. I'd argue that if you had to pick a nonblue color, you'd have to go with green: all of the upkeep growth cards in the color fit well with it. Rarity, however, is right.
(1/3) Balance - Aggravated Assault's on-demand extra combats make it an intensely powerful card. It is probably the least vulnerable (nonland) card type as an enchantment but, on the other hand, even though Darryl has the vulnerability of being a small creature, he also is 1CMC cheaper than the Assault, his activated ability is also one mana cheaper, and he has two other activated abilities, one situationally powerful and the other ALWAYS powerful, allowing you to draw as much as you have the mana for. This would be a great, maybe even broken, commander.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The extra upkeeps doesn't have much precedent but the extra draw steps are mostly the same as just "draw a card" and the extra combats are well-worn.
(1.5/3) Flavor - "Time Lord" just makes me think of Dr. Who, and "Darryl" seems to lack a certain gravitas as a name. It has connotations at least here in the US as a stereotypical redneck or cowboy first name. You can use real-world names as Magic character names easily as long as they fit the setting (often names that originated in myths work well for that, but even "Will Kenrith" fits the setting of Eldraine because "Will" is the name of at least one Robin Hood character.)

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Massive amounts of missing commas - also, why isn't that last clause "your end of combat step" to match the others?
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks fine.

Total: 17.5/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Full points here - Who among the psychographics doesn't want to force their opponents to pay them a combat phase every turn?
(2.5/3) Elegance - Wordy, but forms a cohesive whole.

Development
(3/3) Viability - The taxing rider makes this feels like a white way to have extra combats, more white at any rate than Waves of Aggression or even Finest Hour.
(2.5/3) Balance - A 3-power 6-drop is going to need some seriously powerful abilities to be viable and the pseudo-Sleep cast trigger and Blinding Angel-esque ability are BOTH at least worthwhile - this could do stuff in Standard imo, but it wouldn't be truly broken.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Inspirations mentioned earlier, but a lot about this card is unique.
(3/3) Flavor - I have a deep and abiding love for Eldrazi in white even though they're seriously few and far between, and damn does this feel like a whitedrazi.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done. (Doubly not red!)

Total: 23/25
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Adds to Txmmy's BEEF. There's a ton of ideas that Jxnny has for a deck with this card. Spike loves the +1/+1s and draw.
(2.5/3) Elegance - An easily understandable card, but relatively wordy.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - About that activated ability: I know the banner picture for this month is Waves of Aggression, and Finest Hour exists (and is three colors) - and that's all the precedent for white extra combats that there is. I feel at least a bit off at this ability being able to be activated with just white mana. A GW deck getting extra combats feels a bit funky.
(2/3) Balance - That triggered ability is the real attraction to this card. It's almost startlingly strong for three mana with all the extras on this card; green has no shortage of 4-power 4-or-less-drops so you can easily drop a BUNCH of creatures and draw a BUNCH of cards the turn after this comes down - which, in green, could easily be turn 2. The activated ability is expensive and quite conditional but it's just gravy.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - This is a remix type of card at its heart. Lots of old, well-hashed-out elements put together in a new way.
(3/3) Flavor - Post-Conflux Nayan godspeaker? Works for me.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.

Total: 21.5/25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our finalists are netn10, Subject16, and Henlock! Final round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”