4%
Lorn Asbord Schutta
2%

Total votes: 167

dyd
Randomancer
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by dyd » 3 years ago

@void_nothing: thanks for taking the time to give so many feedbacks, I appreciate that.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
dyd - The Boltkin is doing a lot for two mana and prowess is a good keyword.
I took inspiration from Stormchaser Mage and traded 2 toughness for flash... not sure if it's balanced but I liked the keyword soup :crazy: a blue mage would wait for the perfect time to flash it out, while a red one will just slam it down ASAP

ApocalypseChive
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ApocalypseChive » 3 years ago

Subject16
These are all pretty solid. Is the Obsession enchantment meant to target a particular creature? It's a little weird that it activates and then works for everyone, seems like it might as well just be a static ability.
dyd
I liked the madness cost here, and the defensive token copy is pretty neat.

Legend
The forecast is a reasonable Mel-ful take on that ability. I don't think "vote" and "explore" do anything alone. Helddagrif is a fun concept.

melli
20 damage is a lot but I liked the suspend value. The land is very extra but sure. Wishful Thinking is a very cute name and concept.

OneandOnly
Is there a restriction that only one of your cards can use hybrid? Writing the mana out that way confused me, otherwise I like them. All missing rarity.

lookingupanddown
The possibility of ramping into this or just getting it on something evasive and then destroying all their lands seems very against the play patterns Wizards has been encouraging. Did you mean for the equipment to destroy only one land per turn instead? The Powerstone could maybe just add two counters per tap for streamlining. Guardian has some neat energy imagery.

Stapler
I worked on an entwine draft like that also, I was thinking about extra starting loyalty vs having a + ability. This is nice too. The others are all fine.

NinjaCaterpie
I liked the level up innovations on the first two and the last one was very flavorful.

There's a good concept going with the Healer but the Level Up execution didn't quite get there for me. Why can you only sac creatures on ETB and pay mana later? I did like Fracking Grounds, the Q for lands is interesting. The Eldrazi wasn't bad but kind of pulled in a lot of directions.

Cythare
Spot on Mirrodin flavor. All simple and solid.

wonderful
The Aura seems quite strong for 4 mana and the counting is very fiddly. Hand of the Reaper would probably play well I think, could have maybe used 2/M symbols for extra connection. The wall that totally blunts offense and has complicated combat implications seemed a bit much for common.

Togs
I'm not convinced that the Scarecrow is rare, but it's cute. The Tiller is pretty nice. Oh I just got the nine lives bit.

slimytrout
The Phyrexian Scarecrow is a little much but caring about life paid with Phyrexian mana is a decent idea. I really liked the Construct, and Ajani is very interesting, I think it's a solid representation of the character at that point.

void
Really got a place to shine with all your Aztec knowledge eh? I liked the Golem-making. The Tabernacle seems very hard to trigger from the battlefield but I guess there are some appropriate sweepers. Lake of the Dead colorshift on steroids is a good plan.

KK
I wasn't sold that Cursed has enough space to be a named mechanic these days, especially as a drawback. I didn't feel like the Merfolk was doing enough different on the back to warrant being a DFC. The Condor was the best of yours definitely.

Lorn Asbord Schutta
I admire your commitment to the mechanic you came up with, but I'm not sure what it does. I play it on turn 1 and attack and get the bonus, then you get turn 2, and on turn 3 whichever of us dealt more combat damage on our preceding turn can cast the card? It's a lot of tracking. I'm not sure why the first one uses 2/R mana. I do like how they all have some combat-shaping ability and the flavor is on point.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

By number of votes in the poll it looks like at least 17 people have voted. As I cannot tell who has voted... this is going to have to be sufficient.

I will be closing the poll and getting next round pairings up for R2 restriction selections tonight.

Get your votes in!
MEG

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Legend - Citizen Epsilon looks perfect except for the black and red modes not working as written.
ApocalypseChive wrote:
3 years ago
Legend
I don't think "vote" and "explore" do anything alone.
I figured vote works but is just useless unless there's actually something to vote for. I totally forgot that the creature explores, not the player. I should have used Adapt 1 instead of explore and perhaps surveil 1 instead of vote. But I really wanted vote in there, trinket text though it may be, in order to nail the "citizen" flavor.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

KoolKoal
For Posterity

Post by KoolKoal » 3 years ago

I wanted to have a card named Moxtopus too badly :P. Mostly I just screwed up the balance because Moxen are hard. (And for some reason I convinced myself that a mox you can't activate on turn one isn't a true mox.)

I'm not sure if Cursed could be a mechanic in the environment I'm imagining or not. Doing Zendikar tribal + going more of a artifact-matters loot/gear theme/subtheme as the adventure-world aspect. Idk, that might also make a crappy set. I also could have done a better job showing that was my set theme if I didn't do the condor, but I really wanted a landfall card in there.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

Dear all participants...

Voting is now closed!

Using the power of Math and Guessing, it seems like we had 21 people vote. The majority of the contests have a big enough delta that I don't see a need to wait any more. So, that brings us your ROUND ONE WINNERS:

dyd!
Mellifluoresce!
lookingupanddown!
Stapler!
NinjaCaterpie!
Cythare!
Togs!
void_nothing!

Congratulations to the eight of you. To the rest, thank you so much for participating in this revival of the BATTLE FACTORY. Without you this historic event wouldn't have been possible.

As the Factory Head I would like to take a brief moment to give out two (meaningless) awards: Top Entry and Top Card. These are entirely subjective and represent only my opinion. Think of them as "my favorite" entry and card, respectively.
The Top Entry for round one goes to...
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Togs!
This set of cards felt like you tailored your entry specifically to me. All three cards are relatively lean, but each one has a compelling flavor storyline that is strongly represented through the mechanics. You even got a draft robot in there, which as you know I love dearly. Great! Hopefully your entries next round will continue to appeal.
And the Top Card goes to...
SPOILER
Show
Hide
ApocalypseChive's Chandra's Student!
To say nothing of the uncommon planeswalker triple challenge, this card really feels well put together. In the ideal situation you tick down that last loyalty counter in your main phase for mana and lots of cards. But your opponent can trigger it during combat too! Your deck needs to have instants to be able to capitalize on that. It's simple, novel, and appeals to that part of me that likes clever interactions.
Now, on to business. Through the power of Random.org I have generated your pairings for round two. Below, please see your matchups as well as the set of six restrictions you have to pick from. As before, each of you must pick ONE restriction from the six that we will use for the Round 2 entries. No specific deadline, but once we have everybody's selections we'll keep things moving. Use this thread for selections. I'll make a new thread for Round 2 once we have them all in.
void_nothing vs NinjaCaterpie
Show
Hide
1. One card is a Mox.
2. All three cards are from the same set.
3. All cards are double faced cards.
4. One card has a non-mana additional cost.
5. One card uses the symbol.
6. All cards have Level Up.
lookingupanddown vs Togs
Show
Hide
1. One card uses hybrid mana.
2. All cards are colored artifacts.
3. All cards have activated abilities.
4. One card enters the battlefield tapped.
5. A Cat, a Scarecrow, and a Construct.
6. All cards share a color.
Stapler vs Cythare
Show
Hide
1. One card has Entwine.
2. All cards are uncommon.
3. All cards are Planeswalkers.
4. One card increases a creature's power and toughness.
5. One card is common, one card is uncommon, and one card is rare.
6. All cards use -1/-1 counters.
Mellifluoresce vs dyd
Show
Hide
1. One card is a nonland card with no mana cost.
2. One card has exactly 5 activated abilities.
3. One card is colorless, another is monocolored, and the third is multicolored.
4. One card has madness.
5. All cards can be played at instant speed.
6. Each card is related to the Planeswalker of your choice.
Last edited by Megiddo 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

4. One card has a non-mana additional cost.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

KoolKoal wrote:
3 years ago
Moxen are hard. (And for some reason I convinced myself that a mox you can't activate on turn one isn't a true mox.)
This. This so much. In the end I decided to give up on this, but thinking out a Mox that could be used on turn one and also has a second face - meaning that in most cases it has more abilities then being mana rock - makes for a daunting challange.
ApocalypseChive wrote:
3 years ago
Lorn Asbord Schutta
I admire your commitment to the mechanic you came up with, but I'm not sure what it does. I play it on turn 1 and attack and get the bonus, then you get turn 2, and on turn 3 whichever of us dealt more combat damage on our preceding turn can cast the card?
Idea was that you play Battle, attack and see how much damage you have dealt with your attackers. Then opponent - or multiple of them - have their own turns, during which they also check for their attackers damage. When you start your next turn, you exile the Battle and now the player who dealt the most damage with their attackers can cast the second face. The bonuses on Battle face are symmetrical, but specific, so while opponent may play with them to actually win, you - as a deckbuilder - have much greater chances to win.
ApocalypseChive wrote:
3 years ago
I'm not sure why the first one uses 2/R mana.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Lorn Asbord Schutta - I'm not certain why Battle of Mad Warlords has monohybrid mana.
The reason was that if the Bloodsoaked Mox gave only on attacking, it would be much less powerful. But at the same time giving mox that could produce any mana to red specifically did not sit with me well. There were two ways out of it: to make Battle face 5-colored, or to get rid of a "control attacking creature" rider. The former was hard, because I could not think of any non-wordy 5-color combat ability, while I decided against the latter, since the rider was flavourful. So I figured out that giving any color - through monohybrid - a chance to eventually play a Mox is the right course. Not really, as it seams, but alas, that was fun.

dyd
Randomancer

Post by dyd » 3 years ago

1. One card is a nonland card with no mana cost.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 3 years ago

5. All cards can be played at instant speed.
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

3. All cards are double faced cards.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

3. All cards are planeswalkers.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 3 years ago

6. All cards use -1/-1 counters.
"Image"

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

4. One card enters the battlefield tapped.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”