October CCL Signups/Round 2: Evil Deeds

Locked Previous topicNext topic
slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

CCL October Signups/Round 2
"Evil Deeds"
Ob Nixilis's Cruelty [/card], by Igor Kieryluk
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

October is upon us, so it's time for a month of villainy here in the CCL. If you didn't take part in round 1, please post (at least) the name and color identity of the villain you're going to be using for subsequent rounds.

Challenge
Design an instant or sorcery card representing an action taken by your villain.
Clarification
Show
Hide
  • Whether it explicitly includes your villain's name or not is up to you.
  • The card can be any combination of colors.
  • Make sure to include rarity.
Anyone can enter the second round! Your submissions are due Friday October 16th, 23:59 EST.
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (October 1st–8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (October 10th–16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due October 19th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (October 20th–24th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due October 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (October 27th–31st)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due November 2nd)
  • Final (November, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

R1
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Kazuul, Dictator of the Murasan Foothills 1RWB
Legendary Creature - Ogre Warrior (R)
Vigilance, haste
T: Gain control of target creature. Untap it. That creature must block this turn if able. Activate this ability only during the declare blockers step on an opponent's turn and only if that opponent attacked you with at least one creature this combat.

At the beginning of each end step, sacrifice all creatures you control but don't own and untap Kazuul.

No longer satisfied with extracting tolls from passing expedition parties, Kazuul decided to expand his enterprise into an empire.
5/3

Cliffside Ambush 1RR{W/B}{W/B}

Instant (R)

Create a 3/3 red Ogre creature token for each attacking creature. If you cast this spell during an opponent's turn, those tokens gain first strike until end of turn.
Last edited by TheAmericanSpirit 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Nevermind!
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Round 1
Show
Hide
Kyrimakhia, Firstborn Overseer 3WW
Legendary Creature - Archon (M)
Flying
T: Kyrimakhia deals 1 damage to target attacking creature at end of combat.
At end of combat, create a Gold token for each creature that attacked this turn.
Golds you control are enchantments in addition to their other types and have all activated abilities of white creatures you control.
"All of Theros must pay the archons' tariff - and worship is its greatest resource."
4/3
Glittering Offering 2W
Instant (U)
Create a Gold token. Then destroy target attacking creature if it has converted mana cost X or less and you gain X life, where X is the number of Gold tokens you control.
"War and beauty need not be opposed." - Kyrimakhia
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Rendclaw, Okiba Matriarch
Show
Hide
Rendclaw, Okiba Matriarch 3BB
Legendary Creature — Rat Ninja (Mythic)
Ninjutsu 2BB (2BB, Return an unblocked creature you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield tapped an attacking.)
Whenever a Rat you control deals combat damage to a player, create a 1/1 black Rat creature token.
4BB: Target player loses 1 life for each Rat you control.
5/4
Price of Dishonor 3BB
Sorcery (R)
Target opponent separates all creatures they control into two piles. That player sacrifices all creatures in the pile of your choice.
Betrayal in the Okiba clan is tantamount to forsaking your own bloodline. Rendclaw personally sees to that.
Last edited by Subject16 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

Round 1
Show
Hide
The Grim Captain 3ubr
Legendary Creature - Zombie Pirate (M)
Each creature you control that's Zombie or Pirate has haste.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return up to one Pirate creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. If you don't, create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie Pirate creature token with menace.
2u: Untap target Zombie or Pirate.
For the Grim Captain, death is never an excuse to skip duty.
4/4
Disdiain for Landlubbers {2/u}{2/b}
Instant (R)
Non-Zombie, non-Pirate creatures get -1/-0 until end of turn for each u spent to cast this spell and -0/-1 until end of turn for each b spent to cast this spell.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Round 1
Show
Hide
Benzir of Temple Might G
Creature - Elf Druid (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature you control. If that creature didn't died, you draw a card and you gain 3 life.
"A soul in a compleat body, this should be the vision of Sylvok from now forward."
2/2
Splice Mind with Soul 1G
Sorcery (Rare)
As an additional cost to cast Splice Mind with Soul, sacrifice a creature.
Create a 3/3 artifact Golem creature token.
Draw a card.
"Your body was weak, yet had so much potential. I couldn't let it all go to waste."

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Mereena's Defamation ub
Instant (u)
Counter target creature spell. Its conteoller sacrifices a creature with the same name as that spell.
The old tailor stuck a pin into Mereena's thigh. Days later, he was a swindler, a drunkard, a liar. He was asociated with traitors and heretics. His money was dirty,. Hiis words. deceiving. His blood, tainted. And a new life far away was the only way out..

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Memnarch's Dominion 4UU
Sorcery (Rare)
You gain control of target land. It becomes an artifact in addition to its other types and gains indestructible for as long as you control it
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Just about 12 hours left in the round, so get those evil deeds in soon!

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Corpsewaker's Covenant 2BBB
Sorcery {R}
Choose three target creature cards in graveyards. Target opponent chooses a card from among them. That player puts that card onto the battlefield under their control, then you put the rest onto the battlefield under your control. Exile Corpsewaker's Covenant.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Civilization in Flames 2RRR
Sorcery {R}
Destroy target artifact or nonbasic land. Civilization in Flames deals 3 damage to any target.

slimytrout

Ok, round is closed! Please critique, and provide a top 3 for, the seven contestants above you on this list, looping to the bottom as necessary (put another way, everyone but the contestant right below you, since there are only nine entries).

TheAmericanSpirit
void_nothing
Subject16
Raptorchan
netn10
Henlock
kwanyeegor-ii
RaikouRider
MonoRedMage

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
TheAmericanSpirit
Restrictive cost, killer effect. Just wanted to notice these token's aren't supposed to block attacking creatures at all, also you can create them on your own turn based on attacking creatures you control which is something. Very Mardu. But when it comes to balance, the rest is silence.

void_nothing
I like cards with cumulative effects like this, Confront the Unknown, energy and so on. But I think you were too cautious about the mana cost, it easily could be cheaper.

Subject16
Super flavorful, the mana cost is worth killing an opponent's best creature or a bunch or worst ones. Very nice.

Henlock
Quite specific. I can see this card being printed but not sure about the format where this can be played. The second effect is useless in one situation or unfair in another one. I am not sure.

kwanyeegor-ii
Annex much, huh? The side effects may be worth two mana but I am not totally sure. Being an artifact has pros and cons, but indestructible negates the most cons, I guess.

RaikouRider
Eh, it's okay, but keep in mind - offering your opponent an opportunity to choose is never good in most circumstances. Remember Dubious Challenge?

MonoRedMage
A bit too restrictive cost for such effect, isn't it?
Show
Hide
1) Subject16
2) void_nothing
3) RaikouRider

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
TheAmericanSpirit - really well designed but doesn't seem black at all
void_nothing - very flavorful but possibly too weak unless you have a lot of gold
Subject16 - Wow excellent and perfect for the kamigawa flavor. great job
Raptorchan - Cool idea but seems too easy to be a one-sided board wipe that is instant
netn10 - I really like the flavor and function. Nice efficient Phyrexian pseudo creature
Henlock - very nice, devastating to 4-ofs, but cou.d be undercosted
MonoRedMage - This is definitely a powerful effect yet it feels not enough for rare
top 3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. subject16
3. raptorchan
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

void_nothing - Looks like a great concept, just might be overcosted.

Subject16 - Oh man that's some yakuza stuff! Love this one.

Raptorchan - Cool. Really makes me want to play those tribes. Could be really strong, but the black mana mode is definitely stronger.

netn10 - I'm not sure if this is too good in Limited or not but it makes sense as a Splicer themed spell.

Henlock - Strong stuff but the flavor is on point.

kwanyeegor-ii - The costing on this should probably not be lower yet I'm not sure it's playable.

RaikouRider - Nice mind game. Not sure it needs to self exile.

1. Raptorchan
2. Henlock
3. RaikouRider

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
Raptorchan - I love monohybrid enhanced spells so much. This is flavorful and effective.

netn10 - Very deece, it's just lacking that oomph for me - also, I don't think Vorinclex's bois are that interested in minds or souls (but Benzir's sort of heretical despite being near the top of the Vicious Swarm, so who knows?)

Henlock - I like this one quite a bit, especially that flavor text. So petty!

kwanyeegor-ii - Perfectly functional, but just doesn't grab me.

RaikouRider - Nice divvy variant but this could backfire hard on you. Death or Glory will probably be better most of the time.

MonoRedMage - I like the flexibility here but it's just a bit boring.

TheAmericanSpirit - Whoa! Definitely fits your R1 legend. This seems like what Sultan!Kazuul would do in battle.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Raptorchan
2. TheAmericanSpirit
3. Henlock
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Raikouraider: I'm not too sure how well this could work. 5 mana is about the base cost of a reanimation, but this has an opponent choosing. I'm not exvited about that prospect.

Monoredmage: I think you costed this one too many. A Pillage with a Lightning Bolt attached would have been the place to ge here IMO.

TheAmerican Spirit: The mana cost looks a bit too funky but the Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs with a Launch the Fleet twist feels nice. I think black is out of place here.

Voidnothing: Tightly tied to the villain. As a standalone card, this is probably too weak but looks like a solid limited uncommon in a Gold-supporting enviroment, which seems likely given you have a mythic that both enables and uses Gold

subject16: Conaidering you have the final say on what dies and what lives, this can be a bit better that Do or Die, yet it gives your opponent the chance of piling around in a way he or she can afford whatever the outcome might be. Do or Die costs a lot less and gives you the chance of putting your opponent in a tough spot and that feels more fun the least.

Raptorchan. I think the cost will have people arguing about wether it is possible to pay bbbb or not. For that mana you get a possibly one-sided languish and it feels a bit too strong at instant speed, yet the other part makes little sense if not an instant. This shoyld be smaller impactwise.

netn10: This reminds me.of the times I have cast kenriths Transformation on my own creature. It can be used very well with your villain and a 3/3 cantrip for a creature and two mana seems ractually pretty good.

1. netn10
2. theAmericanSpirit
3. voidnothing

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”