October MCC: Judge Signups

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Waves of Aggression by Jim Pavelec and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
A new month has begin and thus it's time for another MCC! This means we'll need 3-4 judges to handle the contest. If you've judged before here or on MTGSalvation just post that you're interested. If you've never judged before, it's easy - there's a rubric ready for you to follow.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
New judges, please judge the following card according to the rubric (assume full points in Main Challenge and Subchallenges):
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Blind Fire-Monk 1B
Creature - Devil Monk (U)
Blind Fire-Monk can't block.
B: Blind Fire-Monk gains menace until end of turn.
R: Blind Fire-Monk gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
2/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Dragoon26

Post by Dragoon26 » 3 years ago

I'll judge again.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Thanks, glad to have you again!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

We should need just one more judge!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Still in need of just one more volunteer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The first round is now closed and I would like to have one more judge for the amount of entries that we have.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

(sigh) I rather liked my entry in the first round this month, but I certainly don't want you two to have to judge it on your own, so I can volunteer. I am a bit busier than usual at the moment, so won't be able to be quite as prompt as I usually try to be when judging, but I'll do my best.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
(sigh) I rather liked my entry in the first round this month, but I certainly don't want you two to have to judge it on your own, so I can volunteer. I am a bit busier than usual at the moment, so won't be able to be quite as prompt as I usually try to be when judging, but I'll do my best.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

Don't worry about timing - the MCC, and I myself, are no strangers to lateness. I'll of course do you the usual courtesy of judging your entry out of the competition, as well.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

I've never judged before, but I'm free to help anytime you need any additional judges in the future.

To prove my chops, I score your example thusly:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Blind Fire-Monk

Design
(2/3) Appeal - All the core psychographics would play it in Limited, but I can't see Johnny having much fun with it outside of that environment. It's too cut/dry for any true combo potential.
(3/3) Elegance - Nothing complicated or unforeseen, just a generic bear with incentives for offense. Very clean.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Rarity and function feel appropriate, but points were docked because Monk is a creature type typically outside the black wheelhouse. Could easily be a warlock and feel much more black.
(3/3) Balance - This card is almost prototypically "fair" in the modern era of creatire quality. Drawback is correct for its colors and it could be a solid role player in any suitably aggressive strategy. But it's not dark confidant, and that is too bad.
Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Hideously boring in effect, intriguing creature type line. I honestly want some flavor text to explain why it's a monk for better context.
(0/3) Flavor - not enough context to assess flavor, but as I mentioned prior, the typing is off IMHO.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Very clean, equally simple.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - full points awarded
(2/2) Subchallenges - full points awarded

Total: 18/25 Not great, not terrible.
Edit: any feedback for my grading is much appreciated, I literally just went straight off the rubric like all my college assignments.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
I've never judged before, but I'm free to help anytime you need any additional judges in the future.
That's very nice of you and I appreciate that!

I would of course like to invite you to play in future CCC contests as well (including the October CCL round 1 which is still open).

The substance of your judgments looks fine - "according to the rubric" is exactly what you should be doing - but keep in mind the gradations of the scores. 0s are for particularly serious problems - what you have written for your 0 flavor judgment seems to indicate more like a score of 1, for example. That's it though!

Thanks again. Watch this subforum at the beginning of each month for the contest player and judge signups.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

@void_nothing

Will do and Looking forward to participating! Beween us two, the commander forum is pretty hot right now, so I'm looking to diversify my use of the site from here out.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”