October CCL, Signups/Round 1: Villainy Abounds

Locked Previous topicNext topic
slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

CCL October Signups/Round 1
"Villainy Abounds"
Yawgmoth's Vile Offering, by Noah Bradley
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

October is upon us, so it's time for a month of villainy here in the CCL. Choose your villain wisely, since that character will influence future rounds.

Challenge
Design a Legendary card representing a (new or existing) villain.
Clarification
Show
Hide
  • The card can be a creature or planeswalker (or, I suppose, another card type if you can make it work flavorfully, but make sure you're representing the character themselves and not their influence/magic).
  • Who is or is not a villain is up to your interpretation (I'm not trying to legislate what side you should take in the Sorin/Nahiri debate, even if Sorin was obviously in the right).
  • Make sure to include rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Thursday October 8th, 23:59 EST.
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (October 1st–8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (October 8th–15th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due October 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (October 18th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due October 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (October 25th–29th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due October 31st)
  • Final (November, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

Edit: Had the wrong day of the week on the deadline.
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Hakvel, Immolator of Cities 2RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Hakvel {M}
+1: Put an arson counter on target land. As long as that land has an arson counter on it, it loses all types and abilities and has "T, Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color."
-4: Create a 0/0 red Phoenix creature token with flying and "This creature gets +1/+1 for each nonbasic land and each land with an arson counter on it on the battlefield."
-8: You gain control of all nonbasic lands and all lands with arson counters on them. Untap those lands.

Subject16
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Rendclaw, Okiba Matriarch 3BB
Legendary Creature — Rat Ninja (Mythic)
Ninjutsu 2BB (2BB, Return an unblocked creature you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield tapped an attacking.)
Whenever a Rat you control deals combat damage to a player, create a 1/1 black Rat creature token.
4BB: Target player loses 1 life for each Rat you control.
5/4

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Benzir of Temple Might G
Creature - Elf Druid (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature you control. If that creature didn't died, you draw a card and you gain 3 life.
"A soul in a compleat body, this should be the vision of Sylvok from now forward."
2/2

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Sedris the Corpsewaker 2UBR
Legendary Creature - Zombie Warrior {M}
Menace
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose up to one target creature card that was put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere since your last turn ended. Put that creature card onto the battlefield under your control. It gains haste. Exile that creature at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield.
5/5

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Memnarch, Puppetmaster of Mirrodin 4UU
Legendary Artifact Creature--Wizard (Mythic)
Artifact spells you cast cost 2 less to cast
At the beginning of your upkeep, search target player's library for an artifact card and exile it. You may play that card this turn. That player shuffles their library
5/5
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Kyrimakhia, Firstborn Overseer 3WW
Legendary Creature - Archon (M)
Flying
T: Kyrimakhia deals 1 damage to target attacking creature at end of combat.
At end of combat, create a Gold token for each creature that attacked this turn.
Golds you control are enchantments in addition to their other types and have all activated abilities of white creatures you control.
"All of Theros must pay the archons' tariff - and worship is its greatest resource."
4/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Mereena, the Haunting Infamy 1ub
Legendary Creature - Human Noble Advisor (r)
Your opponents play with their hands revealed.
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a nonland card from target opponent"s hand. Exile that card until your next turn.
Few dare Mereena's gaze
3/2

slimytrout

Last 12 hours to enter! Get your villains in!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Kazuul, Dictator of the Murasan Foothills 1RWB
Legendary Creature - Ogre Warrior (R)
Vigilance, haste
T: Gain control of target creature. Untap it. That creature must block this turn if able. Activate this ability only during the declare blockers step on an opponent's turn and only if that opponent attacked you with at least one creature this combat.

At the beginning of each end step, sacrifice all creatures you control but don't own and untap Kazuul.

No longer satisfied with extracting tolls from passing expedition parties, Kazuul decided to expand his enterprise into an empire.
5/3
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

slimytrout

Hoping to get a few more entries for this, as it feels a bit pointless to move forward with only eight, so I'm leaving it open for now.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Nevinyrral, Urborg Lich-Sovereign
Legendary Creature — Zombie Wizard (M)
Indestructible
Whenever a spell or ability you control destroys 5 or more permanents, you gain 2 life and draw two cards.
The law he declares upon his subjects is draconian, cruel, unjust and self-destructive — but you can't accuse him of not following it.
5/5

ShivaBlade

Post by ShivaBlade » 3 years ago

Statue of the Devil King 2BRG

Legendary Artifact (M)

Whenever a creature an opponent controls attacks alone, put a -1/-1 counter on it.

Whenever multiple creatures an opponent controls attack, their controller loses 1 life for each attacking creature.

At the beginning of each opponent's end step, if they didn't attack this turn, Statue of the Devil King becomes a 6/6 Devil Warrior creature with trample and first strike until the beginning of your next end step. Its name becomes Rakang, the Verdant Devil King while it's a creature.

slimytrout

Would love to get one or two more entries by morning, when I'm going to close this round and post round 2, but if not we can make do with 10.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

The Grim Captain 3ubr
Legendary Creature - Zombie Pirate (M)
Each creature you control that's Zombie or Pirate has haste.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return up to one Pirate creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. If you don't, create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie Pirate creature token with menace.
2u: Untap target Zombie or Pirate.
For the Grim Captain, death is never an excuse to skip duty.
4/4

slimytrout

Great! Round is closed. Please critique, and provide a top 3 for, the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary:

MonoRedMage
Subject16
netn10
RaikouRider
kwanyeegor-ii
void_nothing
Henlock
TheAmericanSpirit
Lorn Asbord Schutta
ShivaBlade
Raptorchan

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Using the following rubric, I grade these thus:

Rubric
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.
Total: X/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta's Nevinyrral, Urborg Lich-Sovereign
SPOILER
Show
Hide
3/3 Appeal- Every psychographic loves this, I think. Johnny can run board-wipe tribal, Timmy likes big indestructibles, and Spike can draw his cards with his 5-for-1 plays.
3/3 Elegance - This card is very clear, in both direction and function.
3/3 Viability - Plays well to its colors strengths, breaks the wheel not at all.
3/3 Balance - While the deck's design might be oppressive as a consequence of the card's abilities, the card itself is not.
2/3 Uniqueness - indestructible Liches are nothing new, but the wipe payoff is pretty spicy.
3/3 Flavor - A homerun into a grand slam. I love how he plays alongside his disk.
3/3 Quality - No glaring errors
4/4 Challenge Completion - Full points for villainy

24/25 total score
ShivaBlade's Statue of the Devil King
SPOILER
Show
Hide
2/3 Appeal- Very much in Johnny/Timmy's wheelhouse, a little too convoluted for Spike IMHO.
2/3 Elegance - This card is very clear in function, albeit not necessarily in deck direction
1.5/3 Viability - It's a fundamentally a hate card against aggressive strategies, so its applicability has some meta-dependent factors.
3/3 Balance - Very fair for what it does, not broken but far from weak.
3/3 Flavor - I like the feel of an evil, cursed statue spreading a passive blight on those who cross it, but also occasionally rising from its foundations to kick ass.

21.5/25 Total Score
Raptorchan's The Grim Captain
SPOILER
Show
Hide
2/3 Appeal- I think Johnny and Timmy like it for the untap and the tribal nature respectively, but I'm not sure this plays to spike's sensibilities.
3/3 Elegance - Card makes sense, no complaints here.
1.5/3 Viability - The ability triggering on upkeep instead of end step is a little upsetting, as it mitigates his immediate impact. I would like it more if either the untap was cheaper or the recursion happened more immediately.
2/3 Balance - A little too fair for a modern mythic. I want more "oomph" for such a cool character.
2/3 Uniqueness - Basically a more limited Sedris, but the pirate flavor is nice and new!
3/3 Flavor - Excellent! A fabulous incarnation of one of Ixalan's more enigmatic mythical beings. Immediately brings to mind all the more satisfying aspects of the pirates of the carribean films

20.5/25 Total Score
MonoRedMage's Hakvel, Immolator of Cities
SPOILER
Show
Hide
2/3 Appeal- Spike and Johnny like this for the City of Brass/ Arson Counter Manipulation, but I think it's not splashy enough in effect for Timmy
1/3 Elegance - The abilities confuse me a bit. I don't understand the flavor of a burning building producing somehow rainbow mana instead of just red, The phoenix is cool and appropriate, but the ultimate is also a confusing end goal. Why annex all this burnt up land?
2/3 Viability - A bit slow to do its thing, but could find a place in some land destruction/ Blood Moon type decks.
2/3 Balance - It's weird. I honestly have no idea how balanced this is. I think 5 CMC is pretty safe though.
3/3 Uniqueness - Nothing else like it exists really. It's a strange mix of stuff.
1/3 Flavor - It's not that I hate it, it's more that I don't get it. I'd love to read his lore to find out what this land-grabbing firebug is all about. I crave context.

18/25 Total Score
Subject16's Rendclaw, Okiba Matriarch
SPOILER
Show
Hide
2/3 Appeal- Everyone loves rats, right? (I don't, sorry.)
3/3 Elegance - Card is self-explanatory. It's mama rat, she makes more rats.
3/3 Viability - Both rats and Ninjas are very popular, and this is a good one.
2.5/3 Balance - It's fair enough, not really pushing any boundaries anywhere.
1/3 Uniqueness - Marrow Gnawer might as well be her big brother. Nothing new, not really a problem with that.
3/3 Flavor - Fits perfectly in Kamigawa, almost too perfectly.

21.5/25 Total Score
netn10's Benzir of Temple Might
SPOILER
Show
Hide
1/3 Appeal- Spike doesn't like drawbacks typically, and Timmy won't want to shrink his beasties. Johnny likes fiddling with counters though
3/3 Elegance - Card is pretty easy to understand, you profit if the victim survives.
1.5/3 Viability - I'd like to know how this interacts with Melira, but until then, it's 50/50.
3/3 Balance - It's fair enough, the kind of thing a 2/2 for 1 should be in a lot of ways.
2/3 Uniqueness - It's new enough, but still par for the Phyrexian course.
3/3 Flavor - Phyrexian to the core, no pun intended.
2/3 Quality - I don't like the card tag into oblivion, personally.

19.5/25 Total Score
RaikouRider's Sedris the Corpsewaker
SPOILER
Show
Hide
2/3 Appeal- A little conditional for spike, a little straightforward for johnny.
2/3 Elegance - There's gotta be a better way to wrod his recursion, but it would take a smarter man than me to figure it out.
3/3 Viability - It looks like an evasive 5/5 control finisher, and that's pretty good.
2.5/3 Balance - It's fair enough, I wish it had some way to enable its own ability though.
2.5/3 Uniqueness - Sedris exists but now he enslaves the recently dead instead of comboing out.
3/3 Flavor - Fits the Sedris character better than the original in some ways.

22/25 Total Score
Top 3, in order: Lorn Asbord Schutta, Raikou Rider, ShivaBlade
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Critiques
Show
Hide
Henlock - This is a lot like a small version of Sen Triplets' abilities. Interesting for mind games, but I'm not sure it should be available at such a cheap cost, and also white seems more likely for the second color than blue.

TheAmericanSpirit - Lots of political fun! I like the "let's you and him fight" dynamic and the idea of having a reverse Zedruu the Greathearted, and this definitely seems like a character development old Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs would go through - my only complaint is that between the body, the combat abilities, and the incredibly strong activated and triggered abilities, this card seems well undercosted. A mere mana cost increase would balance it and the general ideas are good.

Lorn Asbord Schutta - Very nice - this is mostly big indestructible meat but the bonus for casting mass removal is genius. It feels both necromantic and appropriate to, well, Nevinyrral's Disk. Great job tying together wraths and lichdom in his lore and mechanics.

ShivaBlade - Kudos for making an artifact! A bunch of good ideas are on this card, and the general idea of forcing a bit of a zugzwang with attacking is apparent throughout the card, but this is really quite wordy and complex. (The -1/-1 counter for the sole attacker also feels kind of minor compared to the other effects, and the green in the mana cost makes the least sense of the colors, but at least the creature version feels somewhat green.)

Raptorchan - Multiple users have been making Grim Captain cards in multiple contests lately; I guess he's a favorite Ixalan background character for many people? Unifying the tribes in these abilities is pretty ingenious and I love the way to beat the typical Zombie ETBT drawback included.

MonoRedMage - I keep going back and forth on whether or not this card could or should be monored. Still, good on you for making the only planeswalker and expanding the ways in which red deals with lands. I feel like the potential size of the Phoenix token might be a bit too much though. In most Constructed formats - especially Commander - this token could be unbelievably huge on turn 4.

Subject16 - Cool! Just... cool. I like me some nezumi Ninjas and this card could represent a major Kamigawan villain in a new set on that plane imho. Not anything particularly innovative but a really well put together tribal lord.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Lorn Asbord Schutta
2. Raptorchan
3. Subject16
HM: TheAmericanSpirit
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Critique
Show
Hide
netn10 - This is a pretty interesting card. The fact that a green card is rewarding you for making your creatures weaker feels very phyrexian. It probably generates card draw too early for my tastes, and Benzir although Phyrexian seems more of a lackey than a full on villain (being loyal to Glissa and Vorinclex)

RaikouRider - This is a cool take on Sedris and a nice throwback to unearth. I'm a little worried about memory issues though, especially in long-turn formats like EDH.

kwanyeegor-ii - I feel like what makes this card too strong for me is the fact that you can search your own library, especially for EDH. Free mana rocks or utility equipment push this a whole lot. The cost reduction is a cool reference to Affinity, and this feels Mnemnarch-y.

void_nothing - This does a lot of things, and a lot of those can be scary when muddled together. This ramps you equal to how wide people go, including yourself. The symmetry of this doesn't feel super white. The nyxification of Gold tokens and being able to go nuts with them makes me feel like there's an easy way to break them, but I haven't looked into it yet either. Stuff that comes to mind are Adarkar Valkyrie and Selfless Spirit. This opens up a lot of possibilities, but I think that the consistency of Gold production this has is a bit too pushed. The flavor is cool except that the Underworld is full of gold, so is it really its greatest resource?

Henlock - With a name like the Haunting Infamy I expected a Spirit. A courtly noble who is aware of everyone's moves and plans around them is very villainous. "Exile until your next turn" feels a bit clunky, and there's definitely room for a secondary trigger to return the card to its owner's hand.

TheAmericanSpirit - That's a very long name, but it gets the point accross. This is one of those creatures that looks really cool in practice, but one look at this and I can already tell people will just stop attacking you. Of course you can play cards that force attacks and goad people like Trove of Temptation, and threaten effects as well. Kazuul's ability is reactive for a character who's flavor implies a strongly proactive attitude. I also feel weird about the fact that Kazuul can untap itself with its own ability over and over again, and I'm sure there are a few cards that could be broken with that little loop.

Lorn Absord Schutta - A boardwipe centered legendary is super fun to see, but the fact that his own disk doesn't kill him (like it does in the lore) is a bit disappointing. Perhaps if this only affected spells only that would be more in synch with the character. Definitely a cool design though.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1: RaikouRider
2: Henlock
3: kwanyeegor-ii

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

In Progress
Show
Hide

The American Spirit: a 5/3 vigilance haster for 4 is quite fine by itself amd a defensive ability is a nice referwnce to Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs. The ability is worded rather complicately and I don't think you need to sacrifice the creature, as just throwing it into harm's way is. way more.fun and interactive. The effect is already very powerful.at shutting combat down.

Lord Asbord Schutta: This is the kind of wffect that needs a bit ofntesting to have the number eights but I suspect you might get away witj going as low as 3 permanents. The idea is veey appealing and wrath effect payouts are very fit for Orzhov.

Shivan Blade: Tbis is something I would gladly throw into my O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami, I like that it punishes your opponent no matter what they do on combat, This will obviously do great with effects that force attacks, I would makenthe last ability a may ability so as to not give your opponent a chance to control what's going on with it. I have to add that I really liked the idea of designing the villain in statue form.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage
In general, I just don't like this card because I am nor sure what do you want to achieve with this combination of abilities and, more important, this card seems very unpleasant to play against. It weels like an example of "planeswalkers do warp the game arounf themselves" stereotype.

Subject16
Simple, powerful and understandable enough, even though it feels like a combination of existing cards such as some ninja naga and some thick spider.

netn10
That's good but definetely a bit too powerful for 1 mana commander - all you need is to play big enough creatures. Oh, and it doesn't feel really green, at least I would make it green/black.

RaikouRider
Eh, it's okay. Abusing your opponent's graveyard in Unearth style is okay but I don't like the timing restriction.

kwanyeegor-ii
We all know that Memnarch is monoblue but with current color philosophy this feels like it should be at least partially black or red.

void_nothing
Good flavor, but it feels like mass token enchantment creation may be way too harmful in Theros environment. I can easily see this being banned in Standard, and an additional ability doesn't help it.

Henlock
Yet another card that may be pretty unpleasant to play against. Villains gonna be villains, you know.
Show
Hide
1) RaikouRider
2) kwanyeegor-ii
3) void_nothing

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bump!

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Subject16 - This looks fine but just doesn't grab me. Nothing against it though. It just feels too much like past nezumi legends.

netn10 - Great design. Only thing is Benzir was sylvok, which makes him human and not an elf.

RaikouRider - Nice ability, but the wording is kind of hard to follow.

kwanyeegor-ii - Interesting take on Memnarch that I'm afraid might be kinda overpowered.

void_nothing - Really complicated but the overall design has a lot of potential for variety.

Henlock - This looks like a fun mind game.

TheAmericanSpirit - Probably overpowered but a really nice design I'd want to play in Commander.

1. netn10
2. TheAmericanSpirit
3. void_nothing

slimytrout

Bumping this because the clock is quickly running down to get critiques in.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”