September CCL, Top 4(5): Ladder of Hierarchy

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

CCL September Top 4(5)/Round 4

"Ladder of Hierarchy"
Banner based on art from Swords to Plowshares, Citadel Castellan and Kenrith, the Returned King, by Wizards of the Coast and respectively by Jeff A. Menges, Anastasia Ovchinnikova and Kieran Yanner.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Knight Month here in the CCL! We will focus on more realistic approach to these type of warriors and on some of the diffrences that put them apart from the other fighters.

The feudal system, in practical approach, was based on providing land for services. Peasants got their own part of land from the landowners at the bottom of hierarchy, in return for either part of their crops or for working during week for some time on landowner's field. Likewise, knights became landowners in return for military service to protect their liege's goods and safety of land. The higher we go in this ladder of feudal dependency, the more distant from peasants the nobles become. The knights of poorer lineages were a bridge in relationships between those two groups, coming from higher birth, yet interacting with common folk on more regular basis.
The peasants could be drafted into military in times of need as well. Moreover, in later centuries of middle ages the proffessional soldiers started to apear en masse, a herald of the new age of warfare. Between twentieth and thirtinth century, due to conscribing many fully-equipped cavalrymen in France, there had to be made a distinction in naming convention to diffriente between those of common birth and those of high birth. From this stems the 'homme d'armes', which was then adopted to english as a Man-at-arms. The knights usually took a rank of officer among low-birth soldiers, commanding them and fighting with them.
Change from the knights toward the nobles was gradual, just as the change from warriors to knights. The process was complicated and it was dependent on many factors, which were not always the same across the diffrent countries. But the few most important were the practice of issuing beneficial laws and tax exempts for feudal landowners by the rulers, as a form of return for mobilisation to war, which allowed accumulation of wealth and more independence from the ruler; the increasing economical prominence of cities and crafts, which lead to a change of both market and power structures; the increasing allowance for using hired troops in place of oneself during battles, which shifted the focus in nobles' lifes from combat training to other things. While those changes would be seen more direclty in the modernity, they nonetheless started to take hold in late medieval period. The poorer knights, whose main job continued to be fighting, fell in use between renaissance and baroque and since they commonly had no land at this point, they were stripped of noble's rank in many countries.
One of the most characteristic qualities of knights that stood out from other high-skilled warriors that doubled as a governing force on low level were knightly orders tied with a Catholic Church, which spring into existance with popularity of crusades. Unlike monk orders they contituted of both priests and monk-knights, who while not a clergy, were expected to keep vows of purity and obedience. Their religious character were a problem for many local jurisdictions and rulers, since those orders were held responsible before Church officials first and laic laws later. Some of those orders went even to create their own countries, nominally under the authority of pope. Even those knights who did not join any knightly order were close-knitted to faith, either Roman Catholic or Orthodox, with knightly rites and codes of honour in many countries invoking the faith, kings in later centuries being seen as a God's choosen and constant efforts od churches to ban warfare during the holidays.

Challenge
Design two creature cards that do not share a color, with one being Peasant or Soldier, and the other being Noble or Cleric.
Clarification
Show
Hide
  • Colorless creatures do not share a color with anything, other colorless creatures included.
  • Peasant Soldier and Cleric Noble would technically fit a challange, just as Cleric Peasant and Noble Soldier or any combination you may come up with; one card hat to include at least a Soldier type or a Peasant type, the other a Noble type or a Cleric type.
  • Make sure to include rarity.
Contestants:
@Henlock
@Raptorchan
@slimytrout
@void_nothing
@MonoRedMage

Your submissions are due Thursday, October 1st, 12:00 EST.
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (September 1st–9th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (September 9th–16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due September 21th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (September 21th–25st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due September 28rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (September 28th–October 1st)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due October 3rd)
  • Final (October, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Couldn't resist taking a few card concepts from my Rome-themed custom set, since those happen to be 4 of the 5 tribal creature types in the set.
Gleaming Bannerman 1WW
Creature — Human Soldier (R)
Legion — Whenever Gleaming Bannerman attacks with at least one other Soldier, choose a color. Attacking Soldiers you control gain protection from the chosen color until end of turn.
"As long as I have my brothers and sisters by my side and the sign of the eagle above my head, there is nothing in this world I fear."
3/3

Smirking Creditor 3UB
Creature — Vampire Noble (U)
When Smirking Creditor enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of Treasures. When you do, gain control of target creature with converted mana cost equal to the number of Treasures sacrificed this way.
She forges debts of silver into iron chains.
3/2

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Bumping the thread.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

Itslav's Peons 2w
Creature - Human Peasant (U)
When you dealt combat damage, transform Itslav's Peons.
0/2
//
Itslav's Militia
() Creature - Human Soldier (U)
Vigilance
When this creature transforms into Itslav's Militia, put a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of combat damage dealt to you this turn.
2/2

High Inquisitor 2bb
Creature - Human Cleric Noble (R)
When High Inquisitor enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
t: Destroy target creature of a chosen type.
If there are no creatures of the chosen type on the battlefield, return High Inquisitor to its owner's hand.
2/2

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that they couldn't share a color!

Embereth Lookout 3R
Creature - Human Peasant {U}
T: Target creature with power 2 or less can't be blocked this turn.
0/4
//
Shout from the Watchpost 2R
Sorcery - Adventure
Creatures with power 2 or less can't block this turn.

Auto-Deputizer 4
Artifact Creature - Noble {R}
Hexproof
T: Choose target non-Noble creature you control that's one or more colors. Put a +1/+1 counter on that creature and each other creature you control that shares a color with it. Those creatures become Knights in addition to their other types.
1/1
Disregard
Show
Hide
Muxus the Mighty 3RR
Legendary Creature - Goblin Noble {R}
Trample, haste
When Muxus the Mighty enters the battlefield, you may put any number of Goblin cards with total converted mana cost 5 or less from your hand onto the battlefield.
Muxus the Mighty has power equal to the number of Goblins you control.
*/5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Peregrine-Trail Attendants 1GG
Creature - Elf Peasant (R)
Trample
Whenever Peregrine-Trail Attendants deals combat damage to a player, until end of turn, if you would create any number of tokens of one or more kinds, create a number of tokens of each of those kinds equal to the damage dealt instead.
3GG: Create a 1/1 green Elf Druid creature token with "T: Add G."
Sigotzu's hierophants travel in style, accompanied by pathfinders, chefs, and practical and decorative artisans.
3/3

Vizier of Foreknowledge UU
Creature - Human Cleric (R)
Cards with embalm in your graveyard have eternalize. The eternalize cost is equal to the embalm cost.
2UU, T: Creature tokens you control gain "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card" until end of turn. Activate this ability only before combat.
Lazotep and war fill his visions.
2/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Distrait Milkmaid1w
Creature - Human Peasant (u)
When Distrait Milkmaid enters the battlefield, create a Food token.
1w, sacrifice a Food: Return Distrait Milkmaid to its owner's hand.
1/1
//
Shattered Pail w
Instant - Adventure
Each player can cast only one spell this turn.

Coursing Prince 2gg
Creature - Human Noble (u)
When Coursing Prince enters the battlefield, create two green 1/1 Dog creature tokens.
If a creature would fight Coursing Prince, you may have that creature fight a Dog you control instead.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Well I'll just critique now!
Critiques
Show
Hide
slimytrout - You may remember I loved Allia when you released it and it's pretty fortuitous that it fit with this challenge. I'm normally not a fan of double-dipping challenges, even with cards that you made for something other than a contest, however. I have to crit these in a vacuum. Gleaming Bannerman is very nice in concept but protection on just attackers is primarily an evasion ability, which makes it feel less white. Smirking Creditor requires you to go all-in on Treasures.dec, which really depends on the environment.

Raptorchan - I'm not ashamed to say a CCaB reference works on me every time. Itslav's Militia is a fun psychological game - how much should your opponent swing with, how much damage should you let through? High Inquisitor is super flavorful but the bounce clause is a little wacky for monoblack. Overall both cards have plenty of flavor and function pluses.

MonoRedMage - Embereth Lookout is nicely symmetrical but I feel like the creature half is overcosted. Auto-Deputizer is very flavorful but I feel like the activated ability is more complicated than it ought to be.

Henlock - Distrait Milkmaid is incredible. The flavor is just grand, the function is versatile and feels well-thought-through - if the creature half was just a bit more expensive and something other than a virtual vanilla 1/1, I think I'd think it was perfect. Coursing Prince is also flavorful, but the ability has it avoiding fights, which... feels nongreen.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Raptorchan
2. Henlock
3. slimytrout
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Fun! The Peons/Militia are great, and the High Inquisitor, while quite powerful, is at least slow and vulnerable enough that it's basically appropriate at rare.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
A couple of flavor problems on Embereth lookout:
1. Doesn't really feel like a peasant -- they tended to be not associated with the Eldraine courts.
2. I think of lookouts as helping with blocking, as in Village Bell-Ringer, not hindering it.
An 0/4 for four mana is also very bad. On the other hand, the Auto-Deputizer seems frustratingly good, in that it's quite difficult to get rid of and keeps adding counters to your creatures turn after turn. It's cute the way they all turn into Knights so he gets more effective each time, but I think it would actually be unfun once he becomes a hexproof Steel Overseer.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Definitely took me a couple reads to get what the Attendants actually do, but once I understood it it's quite fun. I like Vizier of Foreknowledge as well, although I can't figure out why it doesn't just have "activate only any time you could cast a sorcery," which seems functionally very similar for this sort of ability.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Had no idea "distrait" was a word. Good to know! The card is fun, but the fact that it does seem fairly unplayable is a bit of a bummer. Maybe it would have been worse, but I would have been even more tickled if the adventure was something along the lines of a battle cry effect, so that there was a joke on "crying over spilled milk." Coursing Prince just feels like a powerful 5 p/t for 4 mana with trinket text.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Raptorchan
2. void_nothing
3. Henlock

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
void_nothing
First card is quite complicated and may escalate dangerously quickly (but hey, it's a rare and also has self-restrictions) but the second on is brilliant and I always like clever solutions like that.

Henlock
I don't really like the fact that parts of a first card don't intercat with each other in some interesring way. The second one has slightly-above-the-curve-powerlevel but its ability is very narrow and feels more like a flavor text. Even if it changed the target to Dog from any creature you control, not just the prince, it would have been much better but still a bit too specific.

MonoRedMage
Embereth Lookout is just too basic for my tastes. Auto-Deputizer leads to some memory issues which I am not a big fan of.

slimytrout
The first card is certainly nice yet fair Limited card, the second one serves as a combo piece in a right environment but it's not easy to evaluate it. In some setting like Ixalan, maybe...
Show
Hide
1) void_nothing
2) slimytrout
3) Henlock

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Just going to top 3 again unfortunately.

1. Raptorchan
2. void_nothing
3. Henlock

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

slimytrout: Protection on attackers can be a wrecking ability for some decks, but I like that it promotes aggression for both sides, after all, if I am to have lots of trouble blocking, I might as well attack. Indestructible would have been way more in touch with what:s the current approach for attack-enabling abilities.

For the creditor, you need a lot going on if you compare it to something like Entrancing Melody. and I don't think a 3/2 body is attractive enough. That said, as a signpost uncommon showcasing a UB treasure limited archetype, it has a very desirable effect and looks like a high pick if there's enough support. I think this is a card that showcases a bit issue with critiques sometimes being quite constructed-oriented, I wouldn't even prod this with a stick if I were building a standard deck, yet I would be quite happy if this was a first pick of mine in a treasure-supporting set.

Raptorchan: A very nice rattlesnake. I like the tension between deciding how much damage you are to take and how big you want the guy to be. Vigilance is of.course awesome in something like this.

The Cleric's return-to-hand ability feels quite out of place in a black card. which is more likely to sacrifice stuff given the color's recursion abilities.

voidnothing: The elves have a quite complicated text, but it lools.quite powerful. It's a bit too self-fulfilling to my taste,.considering that it has trample to connect and a token.producing ability.

The vizier is a pretty good upgrade foe.embalm and.comes with an interesting go-wide.oriented ability. I would fit this in my Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun EDH gladly.

Monoredmage: Embereth Lookout should have went in the 0/3 for 3, attacking buffers in the fashion these cards tend to have nowadays. I like the symmetry between both abilityes.

Autodeputizer ishouldn't have hexproof in my opinion, altjough it is slow, it can escalate quite a lot.

TOP 3

1. slimytrout
2. Raptorchan
3. voidnothing

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The final contestants are Raptorchan and void_nothing.
Congratulations!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”