August CCL, Top 8: Skill with Arms

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

CCL September Top 8/Round 3

"Skill with Arms"
Banner based on art from Gallantry, Outflank and Run Amok, by Wizards of the Coast and respectively by Douglas Shuler, Victor Adame Minguez and Svetlin Velinov.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Knight Month here in the CCL! We will focus on more realistic approach to these type of warriors and on some of the diffrences that put them apart from the other fighters.

The feudal system, in practical approach, was based on providing land for services. Peasants got their own part of land from the landowners at the bottom of hierarchy, in return for either part of their crops or for working during week for some time on landowner's field. Likewise, knights became landowners in return for military service to protect their liege's goods and safety of land. Therefore, the more prominent knight was in battles, the bigger were likehood of recieving a prominent fief. Moreover, for wars came spoils, which allowed quick rose in hierarchy.
Due to this knights were training first and foremost for fighting, from duels through skirmishes to battles. Even as they were protected by codes of chivarly and possessed higher-end equipment then other soldiers, it would be not that useful without warfare and fighting experience.
Many knights were good or even expert in at least two or more weapons, with one usually used for mounted combat and another for fighting on foot. Even when presented with disadvantageous situations, such as having only sword against heavily armoured opponent or wielding lance while dismounted, they were able to at least stand their ground due to their wide array of techniques to combat such obstacles.
Moreover, while being a "warriors" in a sense that unlike rank-and-file soldiers who trained to be coordinated unit, each knight was an individual with combat prowess on its own, they were still able to execute dangerous manuevers as a big group, with a heavy cavalry charge being a hallmark example.

Challenge
Design a common or uncommon instant card that cares about target creature attacking and/or blocking.
Clarification
Show
Hide
  • It might care about either attacking or blocking or both; the effect in question should care about target creature however. Yet, if there are other effects on card that care about other creatures or about something completly diffrent, then it is fine. To illustrate: Righteousness fits the challange {cares about blocking creature}, both Hold the Line and Trumpet Blast does not {care about blocking/attacking creatures, while Ride Down fits {cares about blocking creature, and then about other creatures}.
  • Make sure to include rarity.
Contestants:
@slimytrout
@Raptorchan
@Henlock
@void_nothing
@jamblock
@Subject16
@MonoRedMage
@netn10

Your submissions are due Friday, September 25nd, 12:00 EST.
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (September 1st–9th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (September 9th–16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due September 21th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (September 21th–25st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due September 27rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (September 27th–31th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due October 2th)
  • Final (October, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Oreskos Tactics 2WW
Instant (U)
Cast this spell only during the declare blockers step.
Create X 1/1 white Cat Soldier creature tokens that are blocking target attacking creature, where X is that creature's toughness.
"Cross one of us and you'll face the whole pride."
—Brimaz, King of Oreskok

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Back to Back Tandem RW
Instant (Uncommon)
Remove target attacking and/or target blocking creature from combat.
The best Boros elites have perfected the technique of switching places with your partner after each sword swing and shield bash - confusing the enemy in a beautiful dance of blades and forging the bond with your partner, fully trusting their ability to transition swiftly.

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 3 years ago

Shifts of Battle {w/u}{u/r}
Instant (U)
Choose one —
• Target attacking creature becomes a copy of target blocking creature until end of turn.
• Target blocking creature becomes a copy of target attacking creature until end of turn.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Crushing Hooves 1R
Instant (C)
Target attacking creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn and gains trample. It deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.
Many a cabal minion has died with Benalish hoofbeats ringing in their ears.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Deflect w
Instant (u)
Kicker 2w
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to you by target unblocked creature this turn. If this spell was kicked, all combat damage that would be dealt by that creature this turn is dealt to its controller instead.
Know thy enemy's weapon.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Infernal Slash XR
Instant {U}
Target attacking creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn. If you cast this spell from your graveyard, that creature gains first strike or trample until end of turn.
Flashback XRRR

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Fantatical Stand {W/B}
Instant (C)
Put a +1/+1 counter on target blocking creature. It gains lifelink and indestructible until end of turn.
For the sake of her people - and her sigils - Jharic was ready to spill as much blood as it would take.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

Kunoichi Tactics u
Instant (C)
Target blocked creature becomes unblocked. Tap each creature that was blocking it this turn and it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

And the first part of a round ends.
Please provide critiques and top 3 for each other contestant.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

compkete
Show
Hide

Subject16: This can really create a lot of tokens and produce a lot of teiggers. in the right place. Tokens are unlikely to survive much most of the time, but this really can set a counterattack if you are pumping or protecting somehow. At worst, it is an expenaive removal spell, as bad as any other against go-wide strategies. This is of course good against talm guys, few effects can produce so many tokens for 4 mana.

netn10: To be honest, I don't think this is an effect that merits a card, nut ai can see it printed at one mana somehwere. Two mana in two colors is a bit too much.

jamblock: This looks complwx but fun. This gets better as wider as you go. I like the dependancy on your opponent doing something. I can picture games when you are attacking and thinking to yourself "Pleacse block with the trampler" I wiuld work the cost so as to not have this be playable at mono blue.

slimytrout: Ambuscade was one of my favourite cards in ita standard, and I played it in my most successful standard dwck to date, Simic fliers. This is cheaper and way better. I wouldn't say it's too powerful but quite pushed for a common. Balance for these effects are quite set dependant but Ram Through shows us this can be happening.

Monoredmage: Pretty cool flashback spell. Your opponent will have to male its numbers welk to be able to block effectively.

Void norhing: Considering righteousness, this is probably fine since its limited to blocking creatures. I would have gonw monowhite here or upped thw cost a bit to make up for the flexibilitu of hybrid mana.

Raptorchan; I really like how this combines two very blue effects in a solid little package. Very nice limited trick.
1. Raptorchan
2. Monoredmage
3. Subject16
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
Subject16 - This adds an interesting wrinkle to typical attacker kill but it's a bit odd that a white spell is punishing high toughness.

netn10 - Love this - my only complaint is that it might cause some confusion because removing a blocker from combat most certainly does not make its blocked attackers unblocked.

jamblock - Fun! I've designed effects like this before bled into RW as well.

slimytrout - Awesome flavor and execution - my only qualm being this feels like too much power AND complexity for a common.

Henlock - I have a big soft spot for damage redirection spells and this is a smooth execution of that.

MonoRedMage - Interesting use of the flashback design space. And hey, it's the only X spell in this round.

Raptorchan - I kind of want to copy the entirety of slimytrout's critique right here, because this has amazing flavor and looks like it'd play well but should surely be uncommon.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. Henlock
3. slimytrout
HM: Everyone else, there wasn't a remotely bad design in here
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

There will be one day extension for critiques and top 3.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
slimytrout: This is a potent removal spell at common, with a potential to 2 for 1 depending on blocking arrangements. It's strong, but possibly undercosted.
Raptorchan: This feels like a very limited card. I can't imagine much incentive to casting this over a regular tap/freeze spell. It'd be nice for limited games to remove an opponent's biggest blocker for a turn, but otherwise I feel like it doesn't reward its narrow casting time very much.
Henlock: This is a nice use of damage redirection and kicker. Smart card.
void_nothing: Lifelink, indestructible and a +1/+1 counter for one mana in two different colors seems severely undercosted, even if it just hits blocking creatures. I could see this at two mana in Orzhov, or three mana for hybrid, but one mana is way too potent at common. I do like the flavor though.
jamblock: This is a very weird card and I do like it, it definitely punishes combat by turning a strong creature into a weaker one. I'm not sure how much I could see this as a Boros card though.
MonoRedMage: The name feels a little weird, but the effects seem fairly costed and a nice way to keep pressuring an opponent.
netn10: It's a simple design, and yet a little boring. I feel like you could have added a little more, like putting a +1/+1 counter on that creature if you control it or something along those lines.
top 3
Show
Hide
1: Henlock
2: slimytrout
3: MonoRedMage

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
slimytrout
May be a bit confusing when target creature attacks, then blocks, then removes the blocking creature with its power and then deals combat damage to defending player. In this case it becomes similar to Ride Down but more complicated. Definetely not a common. Also a small mistake in the wording because trample should be granted until end of turn.

Henlock
Eh, it's okay. A bit weak on powerlevel side though. Also "unblocked" adds another layer of complexity here. but I understand why, because tramplers. Must be number 4 in my TOP.

void_nothing
This is a hybrid card I can live with. Can easily see this printed.

jamblock
Interesting card, although it took me some time to realize why these two modes are different.

Subject16
A killing combat trick with extra steps, even though it can generate much more value than expected when the blocked creature has high toughness and low power. Almost hitting the rare territory here.

MonoRedMage
Should add "of your choice" but hey, it's not MCC. Other than that, simple and powerful combat trick good for late game.

netn10
Very Boros'y, but I am not a fan of spells with such narrow use. May be nice in some circumstances but still narrow. I guess most players would prefer Master Warcraft over this, and in Limited I doubt I would like to play it.
Show
Hide
1) void_nothing
2) MonoRedMage
3) jamblock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Whoops, completely forgot about the noon deadline so set aside time for critiques this afternoon.
Subject16
Show
Hide
So, you get to kill their creature and then if it has higher toughness than power you have some tokens left over. It's quite bad as a 4-mana "destroy target attacking creature," but obviously has a much higher ceiling than that. I personally find "cast this spell only during..." quite unaesthetic, so I am docking some (imaginary) points for that.
netn10
Show
Hide
This effect hasn't been red since Coldsnap. Definitely an interesting card, but I think it's pretty weak when compared to, say, Hollowhenge Spirit.
jamblock
Show
Hide
Hmm, red doesn't usually get to copy opponent's creatures, but I guess it's more of a bend than a break. Would be a bit of a pain to play around, given the confusing mana requirements and the many possible targets, but also could have some crazy and fun results.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I think the kicker needs to be in red for this card -- white shouldn't get reach like this, even if it is from an opponent's card. Found Harm's Way et al., so I guess I'm wrong. If that's the case, this seems like a fun and appropriately powered card!
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
I like the idea, but I think that it would be really miserable to block with this in your opponent's graveyard. I think a lot of players would end up making awful blocks turn after turn because of the threat of activation, which, although nominally their fault, would lead to unfun play patterns.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Fun, but *so* situational -- it would be pretty hard to justify putting this in any deck.
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Wow, this could lead to some huge tempo swings, but also has pretty limited use cases. Hard to predict how it would actually play out.
T3
Show
Hide
Man, a lot of extremely close designs this time. To be honest, there was no one that I felt super happy giving 1st to, but also no designs that I felt happy excluding from the T3. Ended up going with the designs that felt like they would be fun *and* get played, since a number of designs were quite situational.
1. Henlock
2. jamblock
3. Raptorchan

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Oops! Really sorry, let me just post a top 3 this time.

1. Raptorchan
2. slimytrout
3. void_nothing

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The contestants for the next round are:

Henlock
Raptorchan
slimytrout
void_nothing
MonoRedMage