Henlock
75%

Total votes: 8

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

It's time to vote in the public poll for the winner of the August CCL! As a reminder, here was the final challenge:
Choose five subtypes that have only ever been used on tokens. For each of those subtypes, design a card that has it.
And here are the finalists' entries:
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Treasure. Citizen. Graveborn. Orb. Servo.

Forgotten Trove
Artifact — Treasure (C)
Kicker (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.)
When Forgotten Trove enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create X Gold tokens. (A Gold token is an artifact with "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.")
, Sacrifice Forgotten Trove: Add one mana of any color.

Novice Interlocutor
Creature — Citizen (U)
Vigilance
, : Remove target blocking creature from combat, then remove from combat creatures it was blocking this combat.
Interlocutors strive to diffuse potentially lethal situations.
1/1

Sepulcher Terror
Creature — Graveborn (U)
Haste
Whenever another creature dies, you may pay and exile that card. If you do, return Sepulcher Terror from your graveyard to the battlefield.
3/1

Rondure of Knowledge
Enchantment Creature — Orb (R)
Rondure of Knowledge gets +1/+1 for each card in your hand.
At the beginning of your end step, put the cards in your hand on the bottom of your library in a random order, then draw twice that many cards.
0/0

Pash Bairn the Cognizant
Legendary Artifact Creature — Servo (M)
Servo creatures you control get +1/+1 for each other Servo creature you control.
, Sacrifice a noncreature artifact: Create a number of 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature tokens equal to the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost.
1/4
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Treasure, Tentacle, Servo, Prism, Survivor

Unremarkable Chest 3
Artifact Creature - Treasure Shapeshifter (u)
: Change the target of a spell or ability targetting Unremarkable Chest to another Treasure you control.
, Sacrifice Unremarkable Chest: Add one mana of any color.
3/2

Limb from the Depths 2uu
Creature - Tentacle (u)
Flash
When Limb from the Depths attacks or blocks, return it to its owner's hand at the end of turn.
4/4

Servotron 3
Artifact Creature - Servo (r)
Fabricate 2
, sacrifice a Servo: Put a +1/+1 counter on Servotron.
When Servotron dies, create an ammount of 1/1 artifact creature Servo tokens equal to its power.
1/1

Scintillating Prism 1
Artifact Creature - Prism (r)
Sacrifice Scintillating Prism: Add ona mana of any color.
, Sacrifice Scintillating Prism: Replace all instances of a color word on target spell or permanent for another.
0/2

Fated Witness ww
Creature - Human Survivor (r)
Vigilance
Prevent all noncombat damage that would be dealt to Fated Witness by sources that don't target it.
If a spell or ability that doesn't target Fated Witness would destroy it, exile it or put it into a player's hand or library, Fated Witness remains on the battlefield instead.
3/2
Anyone may vote in this poll, which lasts for five days. Good luck to both finalists!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Quick critiques, I don't do this in finals enough:

Forgotten Trove - It's hard for me to see why the tokens produced are Gold and not Treasure.
Novice Interlocutor - This is worded pretty strangely (why not "Remove target blocking creature and each creature it's blocking from combat"?), and no race type is odd too.
Sepulcher Terror - This works for me flavorfully because of the resemblance to the actual token in question.
Rondure of Knowledge - I'm not sure this feels like an Orb? That feels strange to say, because there's never been a card with that subtype, but I want my Orbs to be more... orby.
Pash Bairn - This looks REALLY fun and is a new take on a GU legend but I'm not sure whether or not the pump ability is too powerful.

Unremarkable Chest - This is a great rendition of the classic Mimic. Love this.
Limb from the Depths - Once upon a time this would be considered too aggressive for monoblue, and I feel like this might have green in it, but otherwise I can get behind this with the withdrawing below the waves flavor.
Servotron - Ghave, Guru of Spores vibes here. I've always been kind of off about the flavor of artifact creatures with fabricate.
Scintillating Prism - Hack effects don't come around often and they're always rare as a result but I feel like this could be uncommon.
Fated Witness - I like the idea of a creature that's immune to mass removal but man is that hard to word elegantly.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congratulations to Henlock!

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Forgotten Trove - It's hard for me to see why the tokens produced are Gold and not Treasure.
Novice Interlocutor - This is worded pretty strangely (why not "Remove target blocking creature and each creature it's blocking from combat"?), and no race type is odd too.
Sepulcher Terror - This works for me flavorfully because of the resemblance to the actual token in question.
Rondure of Knowledge - I'm not sure this feels like an Orb? That feels strange to say, because there's never been a card with that subtype, but I want my Orbs to be more... orby.
Pash Bairn - This looks REALLY fun and is a new take on a GU legend but I'm not sure whether or not the pump ability is too powerful.
Forgotten Trove: I grew up playing D&D (mainly 2nd Ed in grade school and high school), and 'treasure' is an encompassing term. "You found treasure!" "What kind?" "Uh... the treasure kind." There's also a video game I vaguely recall where you would kick open a chest at the end of the level to get your rewards. The idea here is that the treasure gives you more gold the 'harder' you kick it. Also, the Double Masters Treasure token is 95% gold in the picture.

Novice Interlocutor: I thought there was an obscure card I referenced for the templating, but I don't remember what it was anymore. And you want to bring a discussion about race into being a citizen? Now? At a time when xenophobia... I'm being asked to get off my soapbox.
Just going with "Citizen" is along the same reasoning as to why there are no Zombie Humans, but we have 11 Zombie Giants, 8 Zombie Minotaurs, 6 Zombie Plants, 5 Zombie Elves, 5 Zombie Goblins, 3 Zombie Dragons, 2 Zombie Merfolk, 2 Zombie Dinosaurs, and even a Zombie Insect and a Zombie Vampire. Or why we continue to have "Soldier" tokens with no other subtypes.

Sepulcher Terror: I tried to make an ability to match the type.

Rondure of Knowledge: The card that makes the Orb token creature cares about card draw, and gives a notion of too much knowledge being a potentially dangerous thing. The draw triggers at the beginning of the end step before cleanup, so you have to discard down to hand size if you "overfill" with knowledge.

Pash Bairn: It makes sentient life out of inanimate objects, kind of like a Karn Jr. The Coat of Servos didn't seem that pushed on a creature that is relatively easy to kill, especially with limiting it to a low-power subtype.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”