September MCC, Round 1: The Monster Rises

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Arcbound Overseer by Carl Critchlow and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
September MCC, Round 1 - The Monster Rises

Welcome to the September MCC! It's Counter Mechanics Month here at the MCC. Each round will feature a different keyword.

Main Challenge: Design a creature card with monstrosity or tribute
Subchallenge 1: Your card is multicolored
Subchallenge 2: Your card is uncommon

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Tuesday, September 8th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Sunday, September 13th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
Dragoon26
Subject16

If you are not interested in playing, please sign up to judge the contest!

Players:
Anyone is welcome to enter this first round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Riria

Post by Riria » 3 years ago

Dictator of Meletis 1UW
Creature - Human Advisor (U)
Flying, double strike
2WW: Monstrosity 1. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous.)
Dictator of Meletis cannot attack or block alone unless it is monstrous.
Sometimes, monsters are born not through foul magic or divine acts, but mere lack of checks and balances.
2/2

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Silverpaw Lion GW
Creature - Cat {U}
3GW: Monstrosity 2. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put two +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
As long as Silverpaw Lion is monstrous, it has vigilance and trample.
3/3

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

Scion of Polukranos 1rg
Creature - Hydra (U)
Trample
When Scion of Polukranos enters the battlefield or becomes monstrous, you may have it fight target creature you don't control.
4rg: Monstrosity 3. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put three +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
3/3

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Bogmuck Ooze GB
Creature — Ooze (U)
Sacrifice another creature: Monstrosity 1. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous.)
When Bogmuck Ooze dies, if it's monstrous, return it to its owner's hand.
"Arvin, to me! Heel, Arvin! Arvin?"
—Hinrik of House Cecani

2/2
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Ever-Hungry Hydra 3BR
Creature - Hydra (Uncommon)
Tribute X. X can't be 0. (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may put X +1/+1 counters on it.)
When Ever-Hungry Hydra enters the battlefield, if tribute was paid, sacrifice a creature you control with converted mana cost equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on Ever-Hungry Hydra.
6/6
Last edited by netn10 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 3 years ago

Whiplash Epiphyte RG
Creature - Plant Insect (U)
RGMonstrosity 1 (If this creature isn't monstrous, put a +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
Mutate 1RG (If you cast this spell for its mutate cost, put it over or under target non-Human creature you own. They mutate into the creature on top plus all abilities from under it.)
Whenever Whiplash Epiphyte mutates or becomes monstrous, it deals 1 damage to target creature.
1/2

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Battlescarred Cyclops 2RW
Creature--Cyclops Soldier (Uncommon)
Tribute 1 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Trample, lifelink
When Battlescarred Cyclops enters the battlefield, if tribute wasn't paid, it deals 1 damage to any target.
3/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

BaconCatBug
Pronoun: xe /xim

Post by BaconCatBug » 3 years ago

Shielding Dryad
Creature — Dryad Shaman (Uncommon)
: Monstrosity 2 (If this creature isn't monstrous, put two +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
When Shielding Dryad becomes monstrous, creatures you control get +0/+4 until end of turn.
To uphold the ancient pacts, she protects her charges as she would her own copse.
Last edited by BaconCatBug 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Young Elephant gw
Creature — Elephant {U}
Tribute 2 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may place 2 +1/+1 counters on it.)
5r: Adapt 4. (If this creature has no +1/+1 counters on it, put 4 +1/+1 counter(s) on it.)
The strictures of domestication or the savage freedom of survival in the wild?
2/2
Last edited by Phyrexian Editor 3 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

ECPmath

Post by ECPmath » 3 years ago

Stumbling Giant 2RG
Creature - Giant (Uncommon)
Trample
When Stumbling Giant enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each other creature.
2RG: Monstrosity 3. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put three +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
When Stumbling Giant becomes monstrous, it deals 2 damage to each other creature.
3/3

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Augur of Waves 1UR
Creature — Octopus Wizard (U)
Prowess (Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
2UR: Monstrosity 2 (If this creature isn't monstrous, put two +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
When Augur of Waves becomes monstrous, return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
2/2
Last edited by Subject16 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 3 years ago

Burning-Tree Manticore 2RG
Creature — Manticore {U}
First strike
2RG: Monstrosity 2 (If this creature isn't monstrous, put two +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
1, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Burning-Tree Manticore: Burning-Tree Manticore deals 1 damage to any target.
A sting that burns like a burning tree.
2/3

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 3 years ago

Mist-Shroud Cockatrice
Creature — Cockatrice (U)
Flying, deathtouch
: Monstrosity 1. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put one +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous.)
When Mist-Shroud Cockatrice becomes monstrous, draw a card for each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it. Those creatures gain hexproof until end of turn.
Only Kruphix's highest priestess may adorn her headdress with its feathers.
2/4
Last edited by StonerOfKruphix 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Kypster

Post by Kypster » 3 years ago

Body Builder 1BG
Creature - Zombie Horror (U)
Sacrifice X other creatures: Monstrosity X (If this creature isn't monstrous, put X +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
Whenever Body Builder attacks, if Body Builder is monstrous, you may remove a +1/+1 counter from it. If you do, return target creature from your graveyard to your hand.
2/1
Last edited by Kypster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Orcish Raider
Creature — Orc Warrior (U)
Menace
Tribute 1 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
When Orcish Raider enters the battlefield, if tribute wasn't paid, it deals 2 damage divided as you choose among one or two targets.
"Your steel or your heads!"
2/1
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

haywire

Post by haywire » 3 years ago

Cloudskimmer Chimera 1ug
Creature - Chimera [Uncommon]
Flying
Tribute 2
When Cloudskimmer Chimera enters the battlefield, scry 1. Then, if tribute wasn't paid, return Cloudskimmer Chimera to its owner's hand and draw a card.
An elusive giver of gifts, it dips below the skyline only for moments at a time, until the promise of power dares it to dive deeper.
1/2

rtk1357

Post by rtk1357 » 3 years ago

Hell's Punisher
Creature - Demon (R)
Flying
As Hell's Punisher enters the battlefield, choose a number. It has tribute X, where X is the chosen number. (An opponent of your choice may place X +1/+1 counters on it.)
When Hell's Punisher enters the battlefield, if tribute wasn't paid by the opponent you chose, that opponent sacrifices all but X permanents.
The denizens of Hell are quick to drag nonbelievers into it.
1/1

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Akroan Phalanx 1RW
Creature — Human Warrior (U)
First strike
1RW: Monstrosity 1. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous.)
As long as Akroan Phalanx is monstrous, it has double strike.
Sometimes only one strike isn't enough.
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Spellfury Weird
Creature — Weird (U)
Exile an instant or sorcery card from your hand: Monstrous 2. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put two +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
Spellfury Weird has flying as long as it's monstrous.
1/1
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 3 years ago

Belfry Freak 1WBB
Creature - Bat Beast
Flying
1WBB: Monstrosity 1. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous.)
Whenever a creature you control becomes monstrous, you gain 1 life, then create a 1/1 black Bat creature token with flying.
3/3

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Shady Agent 1ub
Creature - Human Minion (r)
Flash
Tribute 2 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may place two +1/+1 counters on it.)
When Shady Agent enters the battlefield target opponent gains control of if unless its tribute was paid.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Shady Agent deals 2 damage to you.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round is closed and we have three judges set! Top four contestants per judge will advance. Here are the judging assignments:

void_nothing:
Riria
Raptorchan
Phyrexian Editor
Freyleyes
StonerOfKruphix
bravelion83
jamblock

OOC: Subject16

Dragoon26:
RaikouRider
Jimmy Groove
kwanyeegor-ii
ECPmath
Kypster
Feyd_Ruin
Henlock

Subject16:
slimytrout
netn10
BaconCatBug
Lorn Asbord Schutta
haywire
rtk1357
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Dragoon26

Post by Dragoon26 » 3 years ago

Judgement has been made.
My design (for funsies)
Show
Hide
Fledgling Stonehowler 1RG
Creature - Beast (U)
3RG: Monstrosity 1.
When Fledgling Stonehowler becomes monstrous, put three +1/+1 counters on target noncreature land you control. It becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with haste that's still a land.
3/3
RaikouRider - Silverpaw Lion
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy likes the big numbers (and cats.) Spike likes the strictly better Watchwolf.
(3/3) Elegance - It's very elegant and easily grokkable. The name sounds like it would fit in well in Theros, but it's still generic enough to show up in other environments as well.

Development
(3/3) Viability - No color pie breaks. It's a little pushed for an uncommon, but the abilities can exist at uncommon, the numbers just need tweaking.
(2/3) Balance - A quick Gatherer search reveals there is no 3/3 for 2 mana with a strict upside at uncommon, and only two with no upside or downside (Watchwolf and Kalonian Tusker.) The closest I can find would be Zhur-Taa Goblin, which is basically just a 3/3 that has the option of being a 2/2 with haste, so you're still not getting a 3/3 with upside for 2 mana. It would be fine at rare at its current rate (if unexciting,) but the numbers would have to be adjusted (though not by much) to have it fall higher on the curve for it to be an uncommon with its current abilities. I don't think Watchwolf can be fully obsoleted at uncommon just yet.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - It's Watchwolf that becomes bigger Watchwolf. There are multiple creatures that gain keyword abilities when mostrous, so the concept is hardly new.
(2/3) Flavor - The flavor is fine, especially for a Theros setting, but without art or flavor text, there's nothing really pushing it over the top flavor-wise.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - No issues.
(2/2) Main Challenge - The challenge was met.
(2/2) Subchallenges - It's multicolor and it's an uncommon.

Total: 20/25
Jimmy Groove - Whiplash Epiphyte
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - I'm having a hard time determining who this appeals to. I feel that it's not flashy enough to appeal to Timmy, not enough combo potential to appeal to Johnny, and not a good enough rate to appeal to Spike. But it is very flavorful, so it's at least appealing to Vorthos.
(2/3) Elegance - The card is easy to understand and make sense flavorfully. However, when combining two mechanics like this, it's nice to see the two mechanics interact with each other in a new way, and unfortunately there's no real interaction between Monstrosity and Mutate--there's no "greater than the sum of its parts" feeling.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Mechanically, this just mono red, but flavor lets it dip into green. It's definitely not too powerful to be an uncommon.
(2/3) Balance - This kinda feels a little underwhelming for an uncommon. I think it could be pushed a little, but I'm not sure where without making it too good. My initial inclination would be to have the damage scale based on the creature's power, which would also give it some interaction with Monstrosity, but the numbers would probably have to be tweaked a little to account for that. Then again, current mutate creatures can do some ridiculous stuff when you start mutating several creatures together, so maybe that's just to be expected with that mechanic.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - It combines two abilities that have never been on a card together. Unfortunately, Monstrosity and Mutate don't really intersect mechanically to make something new.
(3/3) Flavor - They do, however, intersect very flavorfully. I would love to see the art of this writhing, monstrous mass of tendrils and vines.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - You're missing a ":" and a space between the activation cost and Monstrosity 1. Also, I believe it should read "Whenever this creature mutates or becomes monstrous" to stay in line with the existing mutate template.
(1.5/2) Main Challenge - It meets the conditions, but it doesn't feel like Monstrosity is the focal point of the card; it feels like an afterthought. It feels like a Mutate card with Monstrosity tacked on. I wish the Monstrosity effect were bigger than the Mutate effect, or at least had a more significant impact, as Monstrosity is a one-time thing, while the Mutate trigger can happen multiple times in a game.

Total: 18.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii - Battlescarred Cyclops
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - There's really not much combo potential for Johnny, and the rate isn't good enough for Spike. The effect isn't really all that flashy, but I can see a Timmy out there stoked to put this in their RW Cyclops deck.
(2/3) Elegance - It all makes sense, though I'm a little dubious of the flavor, especially in the context of the mechanics (more on this later.)

Development
(3/3) Viability - Fits snuggly in the RW portion of the color pie. The mechanics are appropriate for an uncommon.
(2/3) Balance - I can't imagine the opponent ever paying the tribute, unless they have a creature or planeswalker that 1 damage will kill. The problem with most Tribute cards is either that both modes are underwhelming, which is compounded when you don't even get to choose which mode you get, or there's a very obviously better mode, and so the tension isn't there in the decision making. I feel like this falls into the latter category, as 1 damage is rarely comparable to a +1/+1 counter.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Tribute already explored the space of "etb effect vs making your creature bigger." I don't really see anything here that sparks newness.
(1/3) Flavor - I don't really get a lot of flavor from this at all. I don't know why the cyclops has lifelink, or why it's dealing a damage a damage for not receiving tribute. Being battle-scarred doesn't really explain either of those. As a cyclops soldier, I'm imagining him in the Boros Legion, which makes the tribute seem confusing as well. All in all, I see a lot of mechanics that work well together mechanically, but just don't tell a cohesive story whatsoever.

Polish

Total: 17/25
ECPmath - Stumbling Giant
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy likes the splashiness of the effect. While I doubt this would be constructed viable, this is a limited bomb which certainly appeals to Spike.
(3/3) Elegance - It's a 3/3 with Monstrosity 3 that deals 3 damage to other creatures. Very satisfying. The flavor and the mechanics mesh nicely.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - I don't really see any color pie issues, though I question why this is green. Green adds nothing to the design. Generally when we see multicolored cards that could be monocolored, the color identity ties into the flavor of the card somehow, which I don't really see here. It could maybe serve the greater flavor of the set, but there's not enough here to make that determination. Other than that, everything about it is appropriate for an uncommon.
(2.5/3) Balance - This card is pretty pushed from a limited perspective. A 3/3 trampler that pings all other creatures for 4 mana is already a pretty good rate for an uncommon. The Monstrosity cost, which you can pay immediately after untapping, turns this into a significant threat and packs more removal. I guess the second color could almost be considered a drawback to keep it in check in limited, but still, I would consider first picking this every time. Despite its power level in limited, I don't see it warping any constructed formats.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - It's not particularly unique. Monstrosity led with the concept of "triggered ability when this becomes monstrous" and the trigger isn't especially unique.
(3/3) Flavor - The flavor is pretty spot on, and a rare example where I don't think the flavor could necessarily be improved with flavor text.

Polish

Total: 21.5/25
Krypster - Body Builder
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - This is made for Johnny, between the free sacrifice outlet and the replacing of +1/+1 counters to build your own repeatable gravedigger.
(2/3) Elegance - It took a second for the mechanics and the flavor to click for me, but afterward it made a lot more sense.

Development
(0/3) Viability - I would avoid having this remove +1/+1 counters, purely for memory reasons. A creature can only become monstrous once, and the +1/+1 counters generally serve as a reminder of which creatures have become monstrous. As is, I don't believe this would be printed, and I don't believe if Monstrous were ever revisited that they would explore with removing +1/+1 counters. Furthermore, uncommons typically don't have this level of recurring card advantage, even if you do have to jump through a hoop.
(2/3) Balance - On the surface, it looks as if you're trading creatures one for one between your battlefield and your graveyard. However, if there are methods of replacing the +1/+1 counters on this guys, this turns into a pretty significant draw engine. Not that that in and of itself is busted, but how easy it is to pull that off is certainly something to consider when crafting a Standard and Limited environment.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Memory issues aside, it's a unique take on Monstrosity.
(2/3) Flavor - The name is a little generic, even if it is a pun. Some flavor text would be really nice for this card. But overall the flavor is there.

Polish
(2.75/3) Quality - You're missing a period after "Monstrosity X" but otherwise, no issues.

Total: 16.75/25
Feyd_Ruin - Spellfury Weird
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Spike is all about a 3/3 flier for 1 mana. I feel like some Johnny brewer out there would come up with some way to abuse repeatedly exiling a spell from hand, but it's just not me.
(3/3) Elegance - Everything ties together quite nicely. It's easy to read and easy to grok.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Blue and Red have an overlapping interest in instants and sorceries, so no color pie breaks. The mechanics are appropriate for an uncommon.
(2.5/3) Balance - Depending on the format, this could potentially be a constructed all star. It's definitely more powerful in constructed than in limited due to the predominance of creatures in limited. I'm guessing this would fall around Delver of Secret's power level, which is fine, but the format crafted around it would need to be wary of any hyper efficient spells that would support this kind of aggressive strategy. We don't want UW Delver in Standard all over again.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Non-mana costs for Monstrous is new. It does some things new, but it's still just a very aggressively cost beater.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I like the flavor quite a lot, feeding a spell to your guy to make him more powerful. Some nice flavor text, which there should be room for, would really make this sing.

Polish

Total: 22.5/25
Henlock - Shady Agent
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Giving stuff to your opponent is right up Johnny's alley.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The card as a whole makes a lot of sense. Flash feels out of place though, especially since it feels like you would be getting a 5/5 much less often than the opponent would be getting a 3/3.

Development
(2/3) Viability - I'm torn on whether UB should ever have a 5/5 for 3 mana, even if the opponent decides whether or not you have it. The complexity of this card feels appropriate for rare.
(2/3) Balance - Punisher cards are tricky to balance, as you have to create enough tension between both modes where it's not an obvious decision that the same mode should be chosen each time. I feel like this is a little more skewed to not paying the tribute, as a 5/5 for 3 is a very good rate and a much faster clock than the 2 damage per turn it would otherwise provide the opponent, not to mention the added benefit of the opponent just getting a free 3/3.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - This is a nice little twist on Sleeper Agent, but it's not doing much new.
(2/3) Flavor - The flavor is nice, though the name is a bit generic. Some flavor text would really help in this area to tie everything together.

Polish
(1/2) Subchallenges - It's multicolor but it's not an uncommon.

Total: 17.5/25
Results
Show
Hide
Feyd_Ruin - 22.5
ECPmath - 21.5
RaikouRider - 20
Jimmy Groove - 18.5
Henlock - 17.5
kwanyeegor-ii - 17
Krypster - 16.75

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Riria
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes this because the drawback is something they're doing anyway. Jxnny finds it a bit straightforward. Spike sees it as technically efficient but in an awkward place of being not aggro enough yet also not midrange enough.
(3/3) Elegance - Pretty elegant stuff.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - This basically shouldn't be a blue card, and I don't think the "no combat alone" drawback is white, either - if not for the Meletis namecheck, this should be a RW card I think.
(3/3) Balance - The costing seems fair overall.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - The monstrosity to mitigate a drawback thing is pretty nice. But there have been plenty of flying double strikers before.
(0.5/3) Flavor - This is incredible flavor for what seems like the wrong card. Why is this this a regular Human that has flying, double strike, and monstrosity? It also seems... odd... that a card like this isn't legendary/doesn't represent a particular character. Funnily enough, long before the first Theros storyline, Meletis had a series of dictators. The Archon typing would have gone a long way on this card.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Blue and white mana symbols reversed. Also, it's "can't" and not "cannot" on Magic cards.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 16.5/25
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - A Txmmy/Spike card. Might have some Jxnny appeal with all those moving parts.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A mostly elegant card although the double triggered ability can be easy to miss.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look perfect - this card looks exactly like I'd imagine a RG signpost uncommon for the monstrosity archetype would look.
(3/3) Balance - This looks a bit pushed, it's true, but all in all the costing for the monstrosity ability is appropriately high.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Polukranos, World Eater is the obvious comparison, and for good reason, but an ETB AND monstrous triggered ability is good thinking.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Fighting Hydra spawns fighting Hydra - works for me. The only off thing is not being playable in an EDH deck for either Polukranos.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 22/25
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Primarily a Txmmy card, but Jxnny does want to make it work - Spike doesn't like vanillas unless they're truly enormous, nor do they like giving choices to the opponent.
(3/3) Elegance - Not an inelegant bone in its body. Damn!

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - This card feels very much like it should be a RW card with a G adapt, but the way it's done in the final version works fine too.
(3/3) Balance - Costing and (potential) size(s) look perfect.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - I don't think I can give full uniqueness points to a virtual vanilla, but... man, what an ingenious combination of mechanics.
(3/3) Flavor - Unbelievably perfect mechanical/flavor harmony.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Reminder texts are written wrongly.

Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes beaters that deal extra damage, but this starts a bit small for their tastes. Jxnny likes counter manipulation. Spike doesn't exactly find this to be efficient removal.
(1.5/3) Elegance - So there's a reason why there has never been a monstrosity creature with a built-in remove counters ability. Monstrous is a status that sticks around even if there are no counters on a creature, meaning that the counters are usually the only visual marker of whether or not the monstrosity ability has been activated yet. If it were allowed by the challenge, this card would be WAY better served by using adapt.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Absolutely nothing about this card is green. It should be monored from my point of view.
(3/3) Balance - It's repeatable removal on a first striking creature, technically, but the costing is all fair on this.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - This is a monstrosity-ified Triskelion/Walking Ballista/a million other things.
(2/3) Flavor - "Burns like a burning tree" is very redundant phrasing. Also, the Burning Tree refers to a specific Gruul clan - although they could easily have Manticores under their rule.

Polish

Total: 18/25
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Pretty much everybody can find a reason to like this. Txmmy has obvious reasons, Jxnny likes the card draw and maybe surprisingly Spike I think likes the hexproof best.
(2.5/3) Elegance - All in all this card's a bit wordy.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - This feels like a signpost uncommon - that may well be what you were going for! - but that monstrous triggered ability makes this feel like a rare.
(2.5/3) Balance - The Armorcraft Judge-plus-plus triggered ability looks very strong for its costing.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - As implied this feels like a combined riff on Fleetfeather Cockatrice and Armorcraft Judge.
(3/3) Flavor - That flavor text grace note really just makes this work for me.

Polish

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - This is mostly a Txmmy card, maybe with some Spike appeal for having a 3/3 double striker on turn four.
(3/3) Elegance - Hard to get more elegant than that.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity both look right.
(3/3) Balance - Seems fine!

Creativity
(0.5/3) Uniqueness - A card that, although it doesn't actually exist, is an extremely elegant design to the point of being obvious.
(1/3) Flavor - There is definitely something off about a Human, with monstrosity, on Theros imho. The original tagline for Theros block had heroes, gods, and monsters, each with its own mechanics and themes, and Akroans definitely fit into the "heroes" category - even their cannibalistic madmen! Big points off, too, for using the name of the existing card Akroan Phalanx.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good.

Total: 19/25
jamblock
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both want to make a monstrosity tribal deck, like, right now. Spike certainly wishes the glory days of Lingering Souls could rise again...
(2.5/3) Elegance - A bit wordy, but an elegant concept.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Colors look right. No rarity but I assume you meant for this to be an uncommon, and that fits, especially if this were a signpost card for Draft.
(3/3) Balance - Looks good to me - only becomes an engine if you have a lot more specific cards in your deck.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Creating tokens and gaining life is not all that unique, but a universal monstrous trigger is.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Could have used short flavor text. Belfry in the name and producing lots more Bats jibes though.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Missing rarity.

Total: 20.5/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Everybody wants a growing beater that fits into a spellslinger deck!
(2.5/3) Elegance - An elegant concept with a lot of moving parts.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity spot-on.
(3/3) Balance - Costing looks on point.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The use of prowess here is great, and I'm frankly shocked that there hasn't been an instant/sorcery recursion monstrous card.
(2.5/3) Flavor - The flavor is certainly a bit wacky, but I love the idea of an Octopus Wizard.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looking good.

Total: 22.5/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Raptorchan 22
Phyrexian Editor 22
StonerOfKruphix 22
jamblock 20.5

bravelion83 19
Freyleyes 18
Riria 16.5

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”