September MCC: Judge Signups

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Arcbound Overseer by Carl Critchlow and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
A new month has begin and thus it's time for another MCC! This means we'll need 3-4 judges to handle the contest. If you've judged before here or on MTGSalvation just post that you're interested. If you've never judged before, it's easy - there's a rubric ready for you to follow.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
New judges, please judge the following card according to the rubric (assume full points in Main Challenge and Subchallenges):
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ashenlight WB
Instant (C)
Exile up to two target cards from graveyards. Ashenlight deals 2 damage to up to one target attacking creature. You gain 2 life.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Dragoon26

Post by Dragoon26 » 3 years ago

Man, it's been years since I've checked in on this community. Glad to see it's still around (though I had no idea MTGS went under.)

Anyway, looks like you could use some help judging, so sign me up.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Just saw this but I'd be overjoyed to have you on!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

We're in need of just one more judge!

ECPmath

Post by ECPmath » 3 years ago

i would judge if i wasn't in the competition

ECPmath

I'll give it a shot at judging the Ashenlight card

Appeal 1/3: Spike likes it because it's efficient. Timmy and Johhny don't like this because it's pretty unimpactful on the game.
Elegance 2.5/3: The card feels very complete and is very easy to understand. This is a really tiny thing and probably isn't worth a deduction but the one thing I don't like is there doesn't feel like a sense cohesiveness throught the card. Cards similar to this are like "exile X cards from your graveyard, do X damage to something". This makes all the parts of the card interact with eachother. This doesn't change the function but the card would feel more cohesive if it was "Exile up to two target cards from graveyards. Ashenlight deals that much damage to up to one target attacking creature. You gain that much life.

Viability 3/3: Fits right into the color pie. I could see this card as an uncommon but common feels fine.
Balance 2/3: I like this in limited in a graveyard based set because it is a decent card without the graveyard part. I don't like that much in constructed because to feel to get your mana's worth in constructed, you need to have both parts of this card be very impactful. Graveyard hate is really only effective if used at the exact right moment. Making this card only hit attacking creatures limites the timing a ton. I would like it more if it could hit a target creature and not an attacking creature.

Uniqueness 3/3: There isn't really a graveyard hate card that kills a creature. Suprised WOTC has done this before.
Flavor 3/3: I love the name of this card. It fits so well with all the abilities and I can't get over it.

ECPmath

how did I do

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I have no complaints about your sample judgment - Just remember you do have to fill out all the section of the rubric in the real contest. I didn't include any intentional quality errors in this card and you're supposed to assume the challenges were filled in full for the sample judgments but just keep that in mind.

If you want to drop from the contest and judge I'd be happy to judge your card out of competition!

ECPmath

I think I'll keep in the competition but I'll think about judging next month.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Thank you for offering anyhow - if you decide to sign up next month you don't have to judge the sample card again.

Judge signups are still open as we could use one more! The first round is still open for almost another full day.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Still calling for one more judge.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

I can rescind my entry and judge this month

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I can't thank you enough for that, and of course I'll judge you out of competition.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”