void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL August Top 4/Round 4

"The Greater Brother"

Urza's Factory, taken from EchoMtG, by Mark Tedin and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Unusual Subtypes Month here in the CCL! Every subtype featured in challenges this month has not appeared on many cards.

Challenge
Design an Urza's land card.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@RaikouRider
@Sojourner Dusk
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Henlock
Your submissions are due Sunday, August 30th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (August 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (August 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due August 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 27th–30th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due September 1st)
  • Final (August, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Urza's Scrapyard
Land - Urza's {R}
T: Add C.
7, T: Return target artifact card from your graveyard to the battlefield. If that permanent would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Urza's Demesne
Legendary Land — Urza's (R)
Urza's Demesne enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add for each Urza's land you control.
, : Add X mana in any combination of colors. Spend only colorless mana on X.
For Urza, this corner of Dominaria, abandoned during the Phyrexian War. was once his solace.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Urza's Workshop
Land - Urza's (r)
: Add . If you control a land named Urza's Factory, add one mana ofany color instead.
, : Target artifact creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. If you control a land named Urza's Factory., put a +1/+1 counter on that creature instead.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Urza's Laboratory
Land--Urza's (Uncommon)
T: Add C.
T: Target creature you control gets -1/-1 and gains your choice of flying, first strike, or trample until end of turn.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And with everyone in, that will be all for the round. Please critique everyone else and organize them all into a top 3.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

RaikouRider: There will be memory issues with the returned card in paper, though who plays paper Magic (in the US) anymore? Power wise, might have been able to slip down to Uncommon.

Henlock: It should come in tapped, as it exceeds the "better than a Basic Land test". Factory synergy is a nice touch.

kwanyeegor-ii: The Avenger ability should have a low activation cost. Also, no banding (or replacement ability)?

Top 3
3. RaikouRider
2. kwanyeegor-ii
1. Henlock
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

RaikouRider - Definitely feels like an Urza card but I feel reanimating repeatedly is too powerful on a land

Sojourner Dusk - Wow a 4th Tron piece lol. Seems possibly very strong with the super mana filtering ability. At least it's not a Locus lol

Henlock - This seems perfect imho. I love the how the synergy works

1. Henlock
2. RaikouRider
3. Sojourner Dusk
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

RaikouRaider: Like Urza's Factory, this gives you an outlwt for your 7 Tron mana. I would have worded this a bit differwnt so as to not complicate memory-wise; Exiling for a token or using a counter would be fine. The ability is pretty strong probably along with stuff such as expedition map, which is a 4-of in any tron deck. I'm cautious when looking at stuff that would give Tron more resilience, but this is both expensive and with built-up loop prevention.

Soujourner Diusk This looks like an interesting filter land. I like the restriction to colorless mana as to keep it closer to Tron in builds. In an optimal scenarion, by turn five this allows you to cast for 8 colored mana, which is more or less balanced.

kwanyegor: While I like the reference to Urza's Avenger, I don't think evasion is colorless should vome that cheap and repeatable.

1. Soujournee Dusk
2. RaikouRaider
3. Kwanyegor

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Sojourner Dusk: A fourth Tron piece indeed. Being legendary makes this fair, and the colored mana filter is balanced by losing one mana to activate. I don't feel this breaks anything.

Henlock: I don't think this needs to be rare - the pump ability reminds me of Mishra's Factory, which didn't break anything at uncommon.

kwanyeegor-ii: Would prefer the ability to be at sorcery speed at this rarity - needing to play around with this in the middle of combat is a lot, particularly in Limited where this will show up often. Flavor is spot-on, though.

This was a very close call between 2nd and 3rd.

1) Sojourner Dusk
2) kwanyeegor-ii
3) Henlock

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our finalists are Sojourner Dusk and Henlock - Final round to come tomorrow.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”