void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL August Top 8/Round 3

"Long-Absent Visitors"

Wrenn and Six, taken from Art of MtG, by Chase Stone and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Unusual Subtypes Month here in the CCL! Every subtype featured in challenges this month has not appeared on many cards.

Challenge
Design a planeswalker card with an existing subtype that's been on two or fewer cards.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • You can search for planeswalker types on the Magic card search engine of your choice. If you return two or fewer cards with a subtype, you can use it.
  • Appearances on non-planeswalker cards don't count.
  • Yes this was done in Club Flamingo recently but it's perfect for this month.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@RaikouRider
@Sojourner Dusk
@slimytrout
@Henlock
@netn10
@BeneTleilax
@kwanyeegor-ii
@MonoRedMage
Your submissions are due Saturday, August 22nd, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (August 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (August 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due August 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 30th)
  • Final (August, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Kasmina, Gatekeeper
Legendary Planeswalker — Kasmina (R)
Whenever a Wizard enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw a card.
+1: Exile target creature. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next upkeep.
-6: Return all creatures to their owners' hands.
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Davriel Cane, Diabolist 2BB
Legendary Planeswalker — Davriel (M)
0: Create a 1/1 black Imp creature token with flying and "B, T: Put a loyalty counter on each Davriel you control."
-1: Create a 5/5 black Demon creature token with flying and "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a loyalty counter from a Davriel you control. If you don't, sacrifice this creature."
-5: Whenever a black creature you control deals combat damage to a player this turn, that player exiles a card from their hand. Until end of turn, you may cast spells from among the exiled cards without paying their mana costs.
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 8 times in total.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Koth the Magmashaper 2RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Koth {M}
+1: You may discard a card. If you do, draw a card. If the discarded card was a Mountain card, draw two cards instead.
-1: Tap any number of untapped Mountains you control. Koth the Magmashaper deals that much damage to target creature or planeswalker.
-6: You get an emblem with "Red creatures you control get +1/+1" and "Whenever you tap a Mountain for mana, add an additional R."
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Oko, the Great Trickster 2GU
Legendary Planeswalker - Oko (Mythic)
+1: Oko becomes a copy of target permanent until end of turn.
+1: Reveal a permanent card with converted mana cost 1 or less, then create a token that's a copy of it.
-8: All permanents becomes a copy of target non-legendary permanent until end of turn.
{3}

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Ugin, Cosmic Mastermind 7
Legendary Planeswalker-Ugin (M)
+1: Exile up to three target nonland permanents for as long as you control Ugin, Cosmic Mastermind.
-2: You get an emblem with "Colorless spells you cast cost 2 less to cast."
-4: Scry 7, then draw three cards.
[7]
Last edited by BeneTleilax 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Samut of the Flashing Eyes 1RG
Legendary Planeswaker--Samut (Mythic)
+1: Up to one target creature gains trample and haste until end of turn. You gain 1 life.
-2: Until the beginning of your next turn, you may cast creature spells as though they had flash.
-5: You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it deals 1 damage to any target."
{3}
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Daretti, Junkblaster 4RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Daretti {M}
+2: Draw three cards, then discard two cards at random. Create a 1/1 colorless Warrior artifact creature token.
-3: Daretti deals damage equal to the number of artifacts you control plus the number of artifact cards in your graveyard to any target.
-10: Each artifact you control becomes a 10/10 Juggernaut creature with trample and haste in addition to its other types.
Loyalty 6

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

I kinda felt bad for Dack Fayden dying in War of the Spark and not even getting a card!

Dack, Planar Borrower
Legendary Planeswalker - Dack (u)
Your opponents cannot gain control of permanents you own.
-2: Gain control of target artifact or creature until end of turn. Untap it. It gains haste until end of turn.
/5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round closed! Please crit everyone else and make a top 3.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

slimytrout: The -1 creates far too strong a token. Why is the "ultimate" a variant of Robber of the Rich?

RaikouRider: "If you discard a Mountain card this way..." Gauntlet emblem is all the Old School feels.

netn10: "...copy of another target permanent..." "...permanent card from your hand..." Because making land tokens isn't broken? Mirrorweave all permanents into lands or artifacts or enchantments...

BeneTleilax: The +1 is broken, even at 7 mana. Scry 7, draw 3 is ridiculous.

kwanyeegor-ii: The -2 doesn't feel very Gruul-ish. Making it unable to be countered would fit better.

MonoRedMage: Bwuh. This is a great Planeswalker deck "feature" card. Makes for a potentially great finisher.

Henlock: Yeah, Dack got shafted. Not sure why Ral got the Izzet War slot. "...opponents can't gain..." This is an odd static effect to try to enforce.

Top 3
3. kwanyeegor-ii
2. MonoRedMage
1. RaikouRider
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Complete
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Kasmina, Gatekeeper
Legendary Planeswalker — Kasmina (R)
Whenever a Wizard enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw a card.
+1: Exile target creature. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next upkeep.
-6: Return all creatures to their owners' hands.

Kasmina was quite a cool character, nd I like you went with War od the Spark design. The continuous effect incentivizes playing with wizards, which is a more or less supported tribe. Naban, Dean of Iteration looks pretty solid with this Kasmina. I'm.not much a fan of the second ability, a flicker a turn is a very powerful effect, and this goes beyond as it allows you to flicker your wizards and netting you cards, and that's too much built-in value. The ultimate is not super impactful but I feel that for that very same.reason is very appropriate in terms.of balance. A board reset with a chance of reusing drawing power seems like a very good prospect.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Davriel Cane, Diabolist 2BB
Legendary Planeswalker — Davriel (M)
0: Create a 1/1 black Imp creature token with flying and "B, T: Put a loyalty counter on each Davriel you control."
-1: Create a 5/5 black Demon creature token with flying and "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a loyalty counter from a Davriel you control. If you don't, sacrifice this creature."
-5: Whenever a black creature you control deals combat damage to a player this turn, that player exiles a card from their hand. Until end of turn, you may cast spells from among the exiled cards without paying their mana costs.
The numbers are a bit more complex than they look at first sight. a 5/5 for -1 seems too powerful, but when you look at it you realize that having two swinging at the same time is only possible if Davriel is untouched for the three turns that would take. At the same time. They make foemidable blockers for stopping aggression. The imp ability is very interesting in such a card, since adding counters is delayed one turn and won't happen if you need to protect Davriel. The ultimate is pretty tame, and might be even useless against decks that play out their hands fast.
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Koth the Magmashaper 2RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Koth {M}
+1: You may discard a card. If you do, draw a card. If the discarded card was a Mountain card, draw two cards instead.
-1: Tap any number of untapped Mountains you control. Koth the Magmashaper deals that much damage to target creature or planeswalker.
-6: You get an emblem with "Red creatures you control get +1/+1" and "Whenever you tap a Mountain for mana, add an additional R."
I can see this Koth comfortably fit n a monored commander combo deck. I'm not quite in agreement with the net draw benefit prospect in the first ability and the second ability is.probably to costy at loyalty plus mana. The ultimate one-sided Gauntlet of Might is a great incentive to play this and try to get the effect as an amblem.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Oko, the Great Trickster 2GU
Legendary Planeswalker - Oko (Mythic)
+1: Oko becomes a copy of target permanent until end of turn.
+1: Reveal a permanent card with converted mana cost 1 or less, then create a token that's a copy of it.
-8: All permanents becomes a copy of target non-legendary permanent until end of turn.
{3}
At first I was afraid it could copy a Planeswalker and use one of its abilities, but after a quick rules check I am glad it doesn't do that. I like the ultimate as you can turn foods and such into the biggest thing you have and win by having more permanents, which gives the Planeswalker a very straightforward line of play while also having the chance of doing some degeneracies. The -1 is a bit confusing, and shouldn't be able to copy lands.
BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
Ugin, Cosmic Mastermind 7
Legendary Planeswalker-Ugin (M)
+1: Exile up to three target nonland permanents for as long as you control Ugin, Cosmic Mastermind.
-2: You get an emblem with "Colorless spells you cast cost 2 less to cast."
-4: Scry 7, then draw three cards.
[7]
three permanents for a + ability seems a bit too dramatic and the fact that the -2 can stack makes this a bit too dangerous.

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Samut of the Flashing Eyes 1RG
Legendary Planeswaker--Samut (Mythic)
+1: Up to one target creature gains trample and haste until end of turn. You gain 1 life.
-2: Until the beginning of your next turn, you may cast creature spells as though they had flash.
-5: You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it deals 1 damage to any target."
{3}
I think the three abilities have a very appropriate power level for a 3 mana planeswalker, considering that Gruul is very creature-oriented all the abilities are very relevant. Haste and trample is a solid aggressive package and it is the tame side, as a + in a 3mana planeswalker should be. The second ability allows you to play around suspected wraths, and that alone could get you the game. The ultimate will not end the game but it is a very relevant emblem to have a chance against decks that control the table, as casting your creatures alone can give you a chance by pinging away remaining life and pressuring your control opponent into playing more proactively. I really like how this package leaves your Gruul deck standing against control.

MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Daretti, Junkblaster 4RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Daretti {M}
+2: Draw three cards, then discard two cards at random. Create a 1/1 colorless Warrior artifact creature token.
-3: Daretti deals damage equal to the number of artifacts you control plus the number of artifact cards in your graveyard to any target.
-10: Each artifact you control becomes a 10/10 Juggernaut creature with trample and haste in addition to its other types.
Loyalty 6
Again, red with net gain of cards is not something I like, even when there's random discard involved. The -3 can easily two shot an opponent in a planeswalker that comes into play that late, without needing to actually activate a + to be able to do hat. The ulti is super cool but it is shadowed by the minus.
1. kwanyegorii
2. slimytrout
3. Soujourner Dusk

I had to sleep on this, lots of cool ideas and lots of minor issues to take into balance.
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Works great as a Kasmina, but I don't quite understand the "gatekeeper" part. Static is fine, but the first ability is substantially too good as a +1 on a 3-mana walker. I see how it'd be fun to use on your own Wizards, but it's way stronger on the opponent's creatures: not only does it get a blocker out of the way, it also prevents that creature from attacking on the next turn due to summoning sickness. Ultimate is fine, although it does violate the main rule (which, admittedly R&D ignores sometimes as well) for planeswalker ulimates, which is that they should push towards ending the game, not prolonging it.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
A little bit of a nonbo with the +1 and the -1, but definitely a fun and balanced card!
netn10
Show
Hide
I assume the -1 should be "from your hand," in which case it definitely needed to be "nonland." Maro has said multiple times that land tokens have logistical issues, also it's not really Oko's flavor, also also it's too strong to be continually ramping you as a plus ability. Otherwise a fun card though.
BeneTleilax
Show
Hide
Yowza. Plus ability is so far off the brokenness scale that I don't think I even need to say why. Minus 4 is probably more scry than should actually be done (it would just take so long to sift all those cards into the perfect order).
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Overall doesn't feel like there's a lot of red in the package: trample, haste, lifegain, and flash are all within green's slice of the color pie. Even the ultimate is barely red since it requires creatures to work, which feels pretty green. But I think it's pretty balanced, in part because it's not very good on turn 3, which is the most dangerous thing about 3-mana walkers.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
People do not like discard at random effects, even when aimed at themselves. Also a little weird to be making artifact Warrior tokens -- should be Warrior Constructs or something like that. Can definitely be a finisher if you can protect it -- two shots of the minus ability to the face should end the game if you've built your deck right. Definitely balanced at 6 mana -- might actually be a little weak to be honest.
Henlock
Show
Hide
An injustice is finally righted! I like this, although I'm not sure that blue should be able to grant haste like that, even as part of a hybrid card.
T3
Show
Hide
Tough race for the third spot, a lot of entries in the running.
1. RaikouRider
2. Henlock
3. MonoRedMage

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Sojourner Dusk: I like this directiom for Kasmina - the only problem I see is the plus should say "up to one target creature" to allow it to gain loyalty on an empty board.

slimytrout: Unique way of gaining loyalty. All of these abilities are very creative while still loosely keeping the discard theme. My only complaint is the ultimate feels underwhelming without any kind of board.

netn10: Name is a bit too close to the intro deck Oko. I'm assuming the second ability reveals from your hand; either way, it should not be able to copy land cards.

BeneTlellax: Even at 7 mana this is quite much. All three abilities are game warping - this would instantly replace Karn in every Tron deck for the rest of time. Dig 10 cards, even for seven mana, is nuts and would not be on a blue card, let alone a colorless card.

kwanyeegor-ii: -2 is very underwhelming and should probably be a + ability (cf. Vivien, Champion of the Wilds). The rest of the abilities seem fine, though lacking in self-protection, which is very Samut.

MonoRedMage: What kills this submission for me is the random discard on the + ability - I feel this would have been much better as a rummage ability. The rest of this feels solid.

Henlock: This feels like it came right out of War of the Spark. Why Dack wasn't represented in the set boggles my mind. The only thing that irks me is the -2 probably is mono-red instead of hybrid, but this fits Dack's character and the power level of the uncommon planeswalkers.

1) Sojourner Dusk
2) Henlock
3) kwanyeegor-ii

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Sojourner Dusk - Nice that it is tribal but subtle. Ulti seems kinda weak, could be all other nonland permanents and be fine

slimytrout - cool, love the drawback for making a demon and the ultimate is fun

raikourider - I love Gauntlet of Might! lol

netn10 - reveal from where for the second ability? From hand? way less broken than original Oko but could be monoblue

benetleilax - the +1 is way too powerful... since it's a plus ability your opp may just never kill ugin and you can just sweep their whole board

monoredmage - Random discard is bad on a six mana card imo. Still the other two abilities are both really good

henlock - Yessss, perfect WAR version of Dack... love it

1 raikourider
2 slimytrout
3 henlock
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Time for just a top 3 this time.

1. Sojourner Dusk
2. RaikouRider
3. kwanyeegor-ii

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And your top 4 are:

RaikouRider
Sojourner Dusk
kwanyeegor-ii
Henlock

Sorry this is late - Round to come probably early tomorrow.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”