July MCC, Round 2: Candy Variety Pack

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Austere Command by Anna Steinbauer and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
July MCC, Round 2 - Candy Variety Pack

Welcome to the July MCC! It's Orderliness Month here at the MCC. Cards designed this month will have something clean, simple, or just well-put-together about their aesthetic.

Main Challenge: Design a card that has each of the five colored mana symbols appear exactly once in its mana cost or text.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is neither colorless nor all five colors.
Subchallenge 2: Your card is not a creature.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, July 18th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Tuesday, July 21st 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: Your card should have one instance each of W, U, B, R, and G between its mana cost and rules text.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
Ryder
Subject16

Players:
@Phyrexian Editor
@bravelion83
@RaikouRider
@Jimmy Groove
@MonoRedMage
@slimytrout
@Sojourner Dusk
@Ink-Treader
@marioguy3
@Henlock
@Lorn Asbord Schutta
@netn10
@Freyleyes
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Mana Instability 3R
Enchantment {U}
Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, choose one -
• Mana Instability deals 1 damage to any target.
• Create a 1/1 red Elemental creature token.
Whenever you cast your second multicolored spell in a turn, sacrifice Mana Instability. If you do, add GWUB.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Density Regulator
Artifact (U)
: Target creature gets -0/-1 until end of turn.
: Target creature gets +0/+1 until end of turn.
Requests to use the device increase exponentially as solstices approach.
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Urris, Elemental Master 2G
Legendary Planeswalker - Urris (M)
+2: Add W. If that mana is spent on an enchantment spell, you gain 3 life.
+1: Add U. If that mana is spent on an artifact spell, scry 2.
-1: Add B. If that mana is spent on a creature spell, you may return a creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
-4: Add R. If that mana is spent on an instant or sorcery spell, each opponent sacrifices a land.
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Ark of the Prophet w
Artifact {R}
When Ark of the Prophet enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 white Prophet creature token with exalted.
t, ubrg, Sacrifice Ark of the Prophet: Return up to one target permanent card from your graveyard to the battlefield, and up to one target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
She foretells the end of this mundane world and the return of the Shards—and the time of heroes.

Note that the ETB ability, sorcery speed, and tap requirement create "shields-down" moments for the card. The opponent can kill it with the ETB ability on the stack, they can kill it on their turn, or they can tap it down every turn.
Last edited by Phyrexian Editor 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Blessings of the Pantheon G
Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchanted creature has hexproof.
2WB: Return target aura from your graveyard to the battlefield enchanting enchanted creature.
2UR: Create a token that's a copy of enchanted creature.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 3 years ago

Mana Burst 1U
Instant {R}
Choose one —
  • Counter target enchantment spell. Add W.
  • Counter target sorcery spell. Add B.
  • Counter target creature spell. Add G.
  • Counter target instant spell. Add R.
  • Counter target artifact spell. Add 1.
"POOF"

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Crippled Chronicler
Creature — Human Artificer Knight (M)
When Crippled Chronicler enters the battlefield, you may shuffle target card from your graveyard into your library. Then draw a card.
"I've seen things you wouldn't believe, if I haven't had to write them down with quill in mouth."
0/2
///
Battle for the Realms
Sorcery — Adventure
Destroy all artifacts, creatures, enchantments, planeswalkers and tapped lands.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

Urza's Estate Sale
Legendary Enchantment (Rare)
, Discard a card: Create a 1/1 red Orc creature token with haste.
, Discard two cards: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature for each land card in your graveyard.
, Discard three cards: Create a 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature token, then draw cards equal to the number of token creatures you control.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Farseek Rock 1G
Artifact (U)
Farseek Rock enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add W, U, B, or R.
"The city is vast, and swarming with all kinds of different people. Here's an amulet not to get lost in it."
—Mestov, Selesnya shaman
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Stirring Refrain 1B
Sorcery (R)
Choose target creature card in your graveyard. Until end of turn, you may cast that card from your graveyard.
Unite — Then, if there are three or more colors among permanents you control, add RGWU. Spend this mana only to cast creature spells from your graveyard.
With the first voice, breath was restored. As other voices joined in the song, the pulse quickened, and the eyes opened.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

With three contestants missing and about 2 hours until the deadline I'll give a 24-hour extension; it seems like everyone is having a busy or stressful month across the board, unsurprisingly.

@Jimmy Groove @RaikouRider @Henlock make sure to get your entries in before the new deadline of 11:59 PM Eastern on July 19th. Everyone else please feel free to edit your entries before then if you so choose.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Marvelscale Hydra XG
Creature - Hydra {R}
Trample
Marvelscale Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it. It enters the battlefield with a flying counter on it if W was spent to cast it, a hexproof counter if U was spent to cast it, a deathtouch counter if B was spent to cast it, and a menace counter if R was spent to cast it.
0/0

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Angelic Expostulator gwu
Creature - Angel Advisor (r)
Flying
Red noncreature spells your opponents cast cost more to cast.
Black noncreature spells your opponents cast cost more to cast.
Graceful words can be more persuading than reasons.
3/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round is now closed. Here are the judging assignments

void_nothing:
Sojourner Dusk
Phyrexian Editor
Freyleyes
Lorn Asbord Schutta

Ryder:
MonoRedMage
slimytrout
marioguy3
Henlock

Subject16:
netn10
bravelion83
Ink-Treader
RaikouRider

Top two contestants per judging bracket will move on to the third round.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Johnny loves both abilities of this card and appreciates the hexproof. Spike sees a value engine that protects its target. Timmy isn't enthused by all the effort this card needs to be splashy.
(2.5/3) Elegance – The card reads fine, although I can feel that newer players may be confused as to why when you copy the enchanted creature it doesn't keep any buffs or abilities granted by other auras.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Hexproof is secondary in green so this doesn't change anything there. The other two abilities seem fine for their color pairing as well., although there isn't much to suggest the second ability should be red. It doesn't affect the rules or break the game in any way either. The abilities definitely put this at rare.
(1.5/3) Balance – Considering Alpha Authority, the only other green Aura to grant hexproof, this may be a little undercosted. The two abilities seem fine, although considering we're in a standard format with Colossification I can see this card being the basis on some meme-like decks which may or may not be imbalanced considering the Hexproof it grants. The cloning ability seems fine, but is also perhaps a little undercosted for a limited environment.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – We've had hexproof granting auras, but we haven't had Auras that reanimate other auras, and whilst we've had Auras that make copies like Followed Footsteps, it's never been an activated ability.
(2.5/3) Flavor – The name and abilities definitely imply a card like this to be from Theros, and to me that's good flavor. Although I can't be too sure how cloning would flavorfully overlap with being blessed by the gods. Wouldn't/shouldn't the clone be too?

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality – You missed the "Enchant creature" line altogether which is a centerpoint to all Auras. The first ability should read "...from your graveyard to the battlefield attached to enchanted creature." rather than "enchanting enchanted creature."
(2/2) Main Challenge – Met.
(2/2) Subchallenges – It's neither colorless nor five-color, and it's not a creature.

Total: 20/25
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Timmy likes ramping, Johnny appreciates cards that allow multicolor decks to function but isn't overwhelmed with possibility. Spike enjoys cheap ramp but is also wary of artifact removal.
(3/3) Elegance – The card reads just fine, although it does come to mind when we consider other mana rocks and dorks why this wouldn't just do all five colors.

Development
(3/3) Viability – If mana rocks had to be colored they'd surely be green. It ramps quickly but is mitigated by not being usable the turn it comes down. Solid uncommon.
(3/3) Balance – Our current standard's mana dorks (ie Paradise Druid, Leafkin Druid etc) all ramp at the same speed as this card. Not being a creature definitely helps it stick to the board as well, even though artifact removal is still plentiful. It's a solid card for casual, competitive and multiplayer cards, because really everyone likes ramp.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – It's a clear homage to Farseek so I can't say its completely unique. We've had a plethora of 2cmc "enters tapped" mana rocks, but none of them can produce mana of different color without restrictions aside from Sphere of the Suns.
(2/3) Flavor – Is it a rock or an amulet? The card's name and flavor text seem to clash, and the "here's an amulet" bit seems a little clunky, in a way that reminds me of Reparations only without the humor. The callback to its namesake as well as its flavor text is spot-on though.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – No issues here.
(2/2) Subchallenges – It's neither colorless nor five-color, and it's not a creature.

Total: 22/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal – Timmy likes reanimating big creatures, Johnny does too especially when there's free mana available and a clause that requires deckbuilding, Spike likes replaying value cards, particularly if the clause is easy to meet.
(3/3) Elegance – The card's effects are easy to understand. No real room for misinterpretation.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Casting spells, particularly creatures, from your graveyard feels solidly black to me. It's an ability we've seen on cards here and there, so we know it doesn't bend any part of the rules. This is definitely a rare.
(3/3) Balance – If Mission Briefing saw a little play here and there I think we can expect this card to be a contender for some formats. Hybrid heavy decks in my opinion will make the best of a card like this since they can easily enable the Unite effect and best make use of all that varied mana. The Unite clause of having three+colors means that it's very unlikely for you to pull off a big reanimation play until a few turns in which I think is very nicely balanced. I also like that this doesn't have any obvious targets I can think of in standard right now, at least not ones that you can cast just off of RGWU.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – We've seen cards that enable you to card from the graveyard before, and a couple in recent sets (such as the aforementioned Mission Briefing). Introducing a brand new keyword that also provides mana for casting said spell are both unique in their own ways.
(3/3) Flavor – The card's name works wonderfully with the flavor text, and it helps build the flavor of Unite with more voices adding to the song.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality – The second sentence of the card should just be "You may cast that card this turn", as seen in Emry, Lurker of the Loch. The word "then" after the Unite clause is redundant and shouldn't be there.

Total: 22.5/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal – Timmy loves big creatures, Johnny likes keyword counters and being rewarded for multicolor plays, Spike likes a scaling, hard to remove threat.
(3/3) Elegance – Easy to read and understand, and the "one keyword per color" has a nice feel to it.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Hydras and scaling creatures are very much in green's wheelhouse. The potential for being a much nastier threat depending on how many colors you add definitely put this at rare.
(1/3) Balance – Keyword soup creatures I find are harder to evaluate than you might think. Some combinations of keywords are much more powerful than others, like trample and deathtouch, or first strike and deathtouch, whereas something like flying and vigilance don't synergize in the same way. In that respect, I think your choice of keywords for this creature are by and large too good., especially within a standard format with easy access to three-to four color combinations as well as the mutate mechanic, especially with trample as a given. Being able to cast this for four or five colors is not only realistic but also relatively easy. The biggest outlier for me is the opportunity for hexproof. If it were another keyword I would be much more amenable since then the hydra would still be easy to remove, but as it stands now I think it's too powerful.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – We've had cards that reward being cast with other colors before, but not every other color. The only other creature that generates that many different counters is C20's Kathril, and they operate in different enough manners for me to consider this a new take. But overall it doesn't introduce anything particularly new, just known concepts blended in a new way.
(2/3) Flavor – Considering the keyword counters setting this creature on Ikoria, I would've liked to see a creative creature type on this creature rather than plain old hydra. The name fits well with the abilities.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – I see no problems here.
(1/2) Subchallenges – It's neither colorless nor five-color, but it is a creature.

Results: (Those in bold advance)
Results
Show
Hide
netn10: 20/25
bravelion83: 22/25
Ink-Treader: 22.5/25
RaikouRider: 20/25

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 3 years ago

Done
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Mana Instability 3R
Enchantment {U}
Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, choose one -
• Mana Instability deals 1 damage to any target.
• Create a 1/1 red Elemental creature token.
Whenever you cast your second multicolored spell in a turn, sacrifice Mana Instability. If you do, add GWUB.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Lots of interactions for Jxnny, Spike likes the meaningful decisions (should I cast another spell this turn or not?). Txmmy would prefer not to be limited by the last ability.
Elegance 2/3 - Generating WUBG feels very wierd. Other than this, it's fine.

Development
Viability 1/3 - Just for the sheer volume of effects this should definitely be Rare. Red can't generate WUBG without a solid reason. WUBRG could work due to wholeness, but this... nope.
Balance 3/3 - This shouldn't break anything as it's 4cmc Enchantment that doesn't affect the board immediately. Can't even get it rolling too much as the last ability is a good fuse.

Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - The last ability is an interesting mechanic to keep the whole card in check while also adding more potential value .
Flavor 1/3 - It's named like a curse, but it's an all-upside card. See Manabarbs.

Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - Incorrect dash in the "choose one" ability.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Met.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.

TOTAL 18/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Urris, Elemental Master 2G
Legendary Planeswalker - Urris (M)
+2: Add W. If that mana is spent on an enchantment spell, you gain 3 life.
+1: Add U. If that mana is spent on an artifact spell, scry 2.
-1: Add B. If that mana is spent on a creature spell, you may return a creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
-4: Add R. If that mana is spent on an instant or sorcery spell, each opponent sacrifices a land.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - I'd say each psychographic is only mildly interested,.. Alright, Jxnny is fully on board.
Elegance 2.5/3 - No love for Planeswalker spells?

Development
Viability 2/3 - Excellent work keeping each ability within Green's pool of effects, This card, however, should be a regular rare. Nothing thrilling enough here to warrant Mythic.
Balance 2/3 - 3cmc 'walker with a +2. Ugh. That first ability would be disgusting in an Enchantress,dec. Lifegain decks would also like this. +1 is fine. -1 is fine. -4 could pose some problems, especially with proliferate or sth to get fast counters... Overall okay'ish, but too many question marks to give any more points.

Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Spending mana on cetrain types of spells is refreshing, even if not really new.
Flavor 2/3 - Very neat concept, but White and Black are not colors tied to the elements.

Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.

TOTAL 19.5/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
3 years ago
Urza's Estate Sale
Legendary Enchantment (Rare)
, Discard a card: Create a 1/1 red Orc creature token with haste.
, Discard two cards: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature for each land card in your graveyard.
, Discard three cards: Create a 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature token, then draw cards equal to the number of token creatures you control.
Design
Appeal 1/3 - Jxnny is sold. Others - not so much.
Elegance 3/3 - No complaints here.

Development
Viability 1/3 - Can't see any reason other than the challenge for this to be either White or Black. Rare is good.
Balance 0.5/3 - The first ability is terrible (2 mana and a card on top of 3cmc and 3 colors for a 1/1 haste). The second is only for a crazy deck that would dump ten lands into graveyard and threaten to swing to win. Maybe that wouldn't be so crazy. But still, a lot of effort. The last one is a gruesomely ineffective token generator that could turn into a CA engine under some hard to achieve circumstances. Terrible (as in "Why did it have to be me who pulled this" terrible) in Limited. Summing up: 3cmc and at least 3 colors for something maaaybe useful in a veeery niche deck. Hard pass, almost unprintable.

Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - That is very creative, I give you that.
Flavor 1/3 - I really don't get what's going on here, but maybe it was the idea?

Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.

TOTAL 16.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Angelic Expostulator gwu
Creature - Angel Advisor (r)
Flying
Red noncreature spells your opponents cast cost more to cast.
Black noncreature spells your opponents cast cost more to cast.
Graceful words can be more persuading than reasons.
3/4
Design
Appeal 1/3 - Spike's favorite punsher. Not relevant for the others.
Elegance 2.5/3 - That's just an inefficient way of wording "Red and black noncreature spells your opponents cast cost more to cast". Yes, I know it's slightly different. BR spells cost BR more. But it shouldn't be the case.

Development
Viability 3/3 - All good.
Balance 2.5/3 - A simple Bant hate-angel. Jenara, Asura of War doesn't feel threatened. I'd defintely play that in Angel tribal, but's it'd likely be a niche (?) sideboard (?) card. Huh, maybe hosing two colors IS just a bit too strong? And hosing BR twice as much?

Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Nothing really new or exciting, maybe a small bonus for turning the challenge requirement into an interesting double-hoser.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Pretty solid. Doesn't really "ooze flavor", though.

Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Bant in colors, but also a creature.

TOTAL 18.5/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage: 18
slimytrout: 19.5
marioguy3: 16.5
Henlock: 18.5
Last edited by Ryder 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes pump, Jxnny can find ways to use cheap repeatable abilities that change small things, and Spike likes just how damn good of a removal card this is.
(3/3) Elegance - Strongly elegant stuff.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - There isn't necessarily a compelling reason for this to be blue other than it being the missing color, but I guess it feels kind of similar to Morphling type effects? But +0/+1 is unusual in green (it's been seen before but not often) and -0/-1 is plain out of color pie for red normally - I've been told that myself when I've tried to make red toughness reduction cards.
(1/3) Balance - That {B/R} ability is FAR too much of a machine gun that even kills indestructible creatures. I would hate to see this card pointed at me in Limited; effectively only my creatures with hexproof would be safe.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - I really like how this recasts what should be really mundane effects into something that feels very new.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Is the implication of the flavor text related to... slimming down for the holidays? That's a bit mundane/silly for non-silver-border.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(1.5/2) Main Challenge (*) - As the clarifications said I intended for the actual mana symbols W, U, B, R, and G to appear, meaning that using hybrid symbols strains the challenge a bit. But there IS a mana symbol of each color, and each color DOES appear only once.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Done.

Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the splashy recursion ability and the bonus fun token, Jxnny sees plenty of moving parts to work with, Spike sees the opportunity to do something crazy on turn 4.
(0.5/3) Elegance - This is frankly a wordy card from the start. The fact of the priority limiter using the ETB triggered ability to put a minor slowdown on the activated ability is already kinda inelegant - it uses the mechanics of a stack in a way that is clever, to be sure, but is also easy to miss unless you know the fine points of it. But you spelled it out in your post, which you're not allowed to do in this contest, so I'll have to dock an extra point for that.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look right.
(2/3) Balance - Even for five colors, that activated ability is very very VERY strong.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - A lot of unique stuff going on here!
(3/3) Flavor - I like this a lot, with the minor quibble that we definitely don't need a Prophet creature type - that token could have been a Cleric and I'd have been very happy.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - There's explanatory text in the post - which is disallowed - and you somehow managed to put the mana cost AFTER the tap symbol in the activated ability.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy doesn't care, but Jxnny thinks it could play interestingly and Spike sees something that resembles a Rewind that only requires two open mana/the second coming of Counterspell itself depending on perspective.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The five modes make an otherwise elegant text quite lengthy.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Adding mana of different colors is something of a color pie bend for blue. The best it can usually do is add C or U, either to pay for artifacts or for instants/sorceries. It's not that bad because it's still not a net mana gain, though. (Also, the association of sorceries with black feels totally arbitrary.)
(0.5/3) Balance - This is a counterspell for 1U that can hit anything but a planeswalker. That alone is too far out there for Standard at any rarity. Adding the bonus mana might be semi-trinket text, but imo puts this card beyond the pale, even if all it does is allow you to cast another instant right away. There is no way a blue deck in Standard would not play this card.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Definitely owes some things to Mana Drain and its ilk. The different mana for different card types is interesting though.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Serviceable, but really generic. Neither the name nor the flavor text give a sense of what's going on with the card. "Mana Burst" sounds more like a ritual than a counterspell.

Polish
(1/3) Quality - I'm not sure what order those modes would go in on a real card (you could argue for W, B, R, G or B, R, G, W, or alphabetical order according to card type referenced) but I'm certain they'd never be in that order. Extra line break between the typeline and the text, and one between the text and the flavor text. You can't add 1 nowadays - it's been that way for several years now - and instead the colorless mana symbol is C. The flavor text has no final punctuation mark, has quotation marks around it despite being not attributed and not actually a quote (more of a sound effect or onomatopoeia) and finally is not italicized. Way too many proofreading errors here.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 15/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the huge explosion, Jxnny sees a lot to work with, and Spike likes the efficiency of the board wipe and using the creature as a mini-Wall of Blossoms.
(3/3) Elegance - Pretty elegant stuff.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This is a mythic for sure and the creature half is very blue while the Adventure half fits all the other colors (W and B kill creatures and planeswalkers en masse, R and G do artifacts, G and W do enchantments, and R and W do lands.)
(2/3) Balance - The Adventure seems potentially undercosted for such a comprehensive boardwipe - most similar cards only take out nonlands, for example.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Lots of unique ideas here, the only comparable adventurer is the very different Realm-Cloaked Giant // Cast Off.
(3/3) Flavor - I about jumped out of my chair - this is GREAT.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(0.5/2) Subchallenges - The "Main" part of the card is monocolor, but taken as a whole the creature and the Adventure are all five colors. Similarly, this card has both a creature and a noncreature part.

Total: 22/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta 22
Sojourner Dusk 20
Phyrexian Editor 20

Freyleyes 15

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”