Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL July Signups/Round 1

"First Planeswalk"

Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath, taken from magicthegathering.com, by Daarken and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Planeswalker's Journey Month here in the CCL! Many classic CCL months back in MTGSalvation had the contestants take a single character from round to round. We're bringing that back this month.

Challenge
Design a monocolored planeswalker card. Keep in mind that this character will matter in future rounds.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Your card can represent an existing or new character
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, July 7th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 30th–July 7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (July 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due July 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (July 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due July 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (July 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due July 29th)
  • Final (August, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Milena, Field Physicist 2RR
Legendary Planeswalker — Milena (Mythic)
+1: The next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn costs 2 less to cast.
-2: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your precombat main phase, add R."
-7: Until end of turn, you may pay 0 rather than the mana cost for instant or sorcery spells that you cast.
Starting Loyalty:4

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

Thrush, Air Crusher
Legendary Planeswalker — Thrush
1: Up to one target bird you control gets +0/+2 and gains hexproof until end of turn.
0: Whenever a bird creature you control dies this turn, draw a card, then discard a card.
-6: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control with flying cannot be blocked."
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Raven Man UBR
Legendary Planeswalker — Raven (M)
0: Each player sacrifices a creature that entered the battlefield during their last turn. Create a number of 1/1 black Bird creature tokens with flying, equal to their total power.
0: Return Raven Man to it's owner's hand.
-X: Birds you control get +X/+0, and gain haste, and trample, until end of turn.
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Artago, Adroit Fencer
Legendary Planeswalker - Artago (M)
+2: Target creature an opponent controls must attack Artago, Adroit Fencer each combat if able until Artago leaves the battlefield. Activate this ability only if Artago entered the battlefield this turn.
0: Scry 1. If opponent controls tapped creature, Scry 3 instead.
-1: Return Artago, Adroit Fencer and each creature that attacked him last turn to their owners' hands.

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Carris, the Rootless 2G
Legendary Planeswalker - Carris (M)
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1, then put a loyalty counter on Carris if that land doesn't share a name with another land you control.
0: You may sacrifice a land. If you do, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a land card. Put that card onto the battlefield, then put each other card revealed this way on the bottom of your library in a random order.
-5: Gain control of each land target opponent controls until end of turn. Untap them. Those lands can't be sacrificed for as long as you control them.
[3]

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Angus Greatfoot 7RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Angus (M)
This spell costs X less to cast, where X is the greatest power among creatures you control.
+2: Whenever a creature attacks this turn. it gets +1/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
0: Angus Greatfoot deals damage to any target equal to the number of loyalty counters on him.
-3: Create a 5/5 red Giant creature token with menace and "Whenever this creature attacks, target creature can't block this turn."
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Yarav, Interplanar Collector 2UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Yarav(Mythic)
+2: Put a flying counter, a hexproof counter or a +1/+1 counters on target creature.
+0: Remove all counters from target creature. Draw a card for each counter removed this way.
-4: Gain control of target creature with a counter on it as long as you control Yarav.
{1}
Last edited by netn10 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 3 years ago

Fblthp, Lost But Awakened 1UU
Planeswalker - Fblthp (MR)
Whenever you remove the last loyalty counter from Fblthp, Lost But Awakened as part of an activation cost, shuffle Fblthp into it's owner's library.
[-1]: Return up to one nonland permanent you control to its owner's hand. Draw a card.
[-3]: Return target nonland permanent an opponent controls to its owner's hand.
{3}

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Illiya, Samite Vestige WWW
Legendary Planeswalker — Illiya (M)
+1: Until your next turn, if a source would deal damage to you or another permanent you control, prevent 2 of that damage.
-3: Until your next turn, opponents can't cast spells and creatures can't attack.
-8: You get an emblem with "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you or permanents you control."
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Shinichi, Reincarnated in a Fantasy World 2u
Legendary Planeswalker - Shinichi {R}
Whenever a face-up, nontoken creature you control dies, you may pay 3. If you do, manifest that card.
[-1] Manifest the top card of your library.
[-2] Target face-down creature you control gains the abilities of another target creature until end of turn.
{3}

(In case you're not familiar with the trope here)

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Lila, Phyrexian Outcast 3BB
Legendary Planeswalker - Lila {M}
Rather than removing loyalty counters to pay Lila's loyalty costs, you may take the same number of poison counters instead.
+1: You get a poison counter, then proliferate.
-X: Put X -1/-1 counters on up to one target creature. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead and its controller gets a poison counter.
-10: Draw X cards and each opponent gets X poison counters, where X is the number of poison counters you have.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed! Please critique the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

Subject16
marioguy3
Pygyzy
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Ink-Treader
slimytrout
netn10
Jimmy Groove
Sojourner Dusk
Phyrexian Editor
RaikouRider

Next round to come in the morning.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Phyrexian Editor: The static trigger gives creature recursion to mono-Blue (where it does not belong). The second ability could be a [0] cost, given the low loyalty and potential lack of payoff.

RaikouRider: Static ability needs rewording. As an option: "If you would remove one or more loyalty counters from Lila, Phyrexian Outcast, you may get that many poison counters instead." Even adds bonus utility while minimizing confusion with potential tax effects. Last ability feels lackluster, especially with the high risk/medium reward. I enjoy skill testing cards, but this may not be worth the degree of difficulty.

Subject16: This has no visible way of protecting itself. Idea is interesting, and that ulitmate is a limited Omniscience if you can manage to keep this on the board long enough.

marioguy3: This is narrower than OG Nissa. What about this crushes air? An "Air Crusher" should be anti-flying.

Pygyzy: Not monocolored.

Lorn Asbord Schutta: Self bouncing PW that you can run to set up draws or up your storm count. The first ability is a rules headache in Paper, especially with the "each combat" and "only if" clauses.

Ink-Treader: I don't like that this can't be run in a mono Green deck, as most of your lands will have the same name. It's counterintuitive, and while the last ability may be useful for the big turn, it seems like a struggle to get there.

Top 3
3. Lord Asbord Schutta
2. RaikouRider
1. Subject16
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

marioguy3: Cute design, though we've sort of seen a flying matters planeswalker in Mu Yanling already. The abilities seem pretty limited which on a planeswalker you don't especially want to see. I would have made the first ability more general but then reward the target for being a bird (giving hexproof would have been better were it an 'until your next turn' effect too.) The second ability feels out of place, the other two lend to a combat based game plan, whereas the 0 makes me think Thrush wants a birds tribal aristocrats deck.

Pygyzy: Raven Man is a character we've been seeing for a while, and I'm interested in seeing what he's like when they finally make a card out of him. I do feel that this version is way too good though. The first ability is somewhat limited, but on a clutch turn it can be devastatingly strong. I don't really see the point of returning him to the hand aside from resetting his already low loyalty, which means that he's managed to stay on board for at least two turns before you even want to replay him. Third ability seems fine to me. Cool design, could do with a few balance tweaks, and unfortunately doesn't fit the challenge of being monocolored.

Lorn Absord Schutta: There's something very interesting about a monoblue fencer that makes me more intrigued about him. As for the card, I have a few issues. The forcing combat aspect is really nice since it does so every combat, but I feel like it doesn't need the limitation of only doing it once. If you can redirect several attacks at Artago and use that to your advantage I think that's neat. The 0 ability is fine to me, synergizes nicely with the first. The last ability makes sense as to the "only do this once" effect of the first one since you can reset him, but there's a wording issue that relates to multiplayer here. "Last turn" wouldn't be my choice of words here, but "since your last turn".

Ink-Treader: I like this card a lot. It's a sort of Crop Rotation on a planeswalker. The loyalty upping is new and interesting, and the scry helps with the first ability. The ultimate is interesting in that it's not particularly game ending, but enables you to pull off big plays without your opponent being able to respond to it with removal or counterspells. It's a nice design!

Slimytrout: So this is an interesting card for sure. You could potentially get this out on turn 3 with some big creatures on the board like Hunted Horror or Death's Shadow, but it's more than likely this'll come down turn 4-5 after a Questing Beast or similarly well statted creature. So as a five mana walker, this is probably pushing it. The +2 is fine and helps push for a high power matters deck, but the 0 is way too good. Just dropping this and dealing 4 damage every turn is already nuts. The -3 is also pretty pushed, having a 5/5 with menace and that hinders a blocker makes this guy very hard to remove. You could easily cut the abilities and have Angus just make a 5/5 and that would already be super strong. It's a cool design and it pushes new directions, but it does a bit too much.

netn10: I'm immediately wary of being able to grant permanent hexproof to a creature, especially as a plus ability. Flying or +1/+1s to me are fine, although neither of the counters mix well with Yarav's ultimate (seeing as if you put a counter on an opponent's creature, it either becomes harder to block, harder to kill or literally untargetable with the ultimate). The second ability is pretty neat, and I understand the "collector" aspect of the ultimate, but the overall design seems a little frail and non-synergistic.

Jimmy Groove: It's a pretty simple design, and it plays into Fblthp lore, although I'm not sure that first effect works the way it's worded (as i think state-based effects make a planeswalker go to the graveyard, so it'd need to be a replacement effect of some kind). Not much to say here otherwise.

Top 3:
1: Ink-Treader
2: Lorn Absord Schutta
3: Slimytrout

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
The cost reduction is novel for a planeswalker, and seems to fit. It can turn a pump spell into a large discount. The +2 is pretty solid, but I think the 0 ability here is very strong, strong enough that it's probably often better than the token production. I do think it's at least somewhat held back by the trickiness of getting that discount up high enough to come down early.
netn10
Show
Hide
I like the +2. The 0 has perhaps too much potential in its current state; it can be downright explosive, especially since it can occasionally get use against an opponent. The -4 is fine, though at odds with the 0. I think the starting loyalty could be a little higher considering the planeswalkers cost, and you could just take the ultimate to -5 if you want to gate it.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
The -3 is nice option on a potentially reoccuring planeswalker, but the -1 is definitely going to be more popular. Removing the card draw would get this under control I think, and then you could potentially make the -3 a -2, which would make it a more attractive option.
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
That +1 is brutally strong, and the -3 is essentially white Time Walk, though I find that less of an issue. The -8 is incredibly powerful, being even more gamewinning than Ajani Steadfast's ultimate, but it does take longer for Illiya to get there. I think the +1 needs to be walked back to preventing 1 damage, and perhaps the middle ability could cost an extra loyalty.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Cute concept. I wonder if the -2 could also be a -1, since it's reliant on having something good already on the board, and isn't card advantage innately. The static ability is definitely strong, though it does require investing quite a bit of mana.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Interesting. I'm not sure how to evaluate its power. It's 5 mana, and the +1 isn't super exciting, though it is unusual for black. the -X I could see being used a lot, just because it's up to 15 toughness worth of creatures safely killed on its own. This card has a duality in likely play patterns I feel, with that in mind. It's either +1's into ultimate, or just using the -X to gain steady advantage.
Subject16
Show
Hide
A very focused planeswalker. Lacking inherent protection can be a drawback, but the ability to provide unremovable mana sources is intriguing. I wonder if she could get away with costing 1 less, due to not having any direct board impact.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. Subject16
3. Sojourner Dusk

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
Fun idea! I think the actual card is pretty weak -- no inherent way to protect itself, and the emblem is largely worse than just searching up a mountain. The ultimate is game-winning in a combo deck, but it's a big ask to build a combo around a planeswalker ult. Also just kind of hilarious to think about a "field physicist," when virtually every physicist I've ever met works in a basement.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Not sure I see the need for a bird tribal planeswalker, or for sorcery-speed toughness+hexproof, but the rest seems reasonable.
netn10
Show
Hide
Weird to have abilities that are non-bos with each other. Also, four mana to start with one loyalty? Not sure why he has to be so fragile.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
First ability probably needs to be a replacement effect, not a triggered ability - otherwise he changes zones so might be hard to "track." Ultimately I think it's pretty weak, but definitely a really fun idea!
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Whoa, very strong for a three mana walker. First ability is largely better than giving your opponent's creatures -2/-0 (although yes, I see that it leaves Illiya vulnerable), second ability is backbreaking in a variety of situations, and ultimate is pretty much gamewinning against all but mill decks.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Name is too long to fit on a card, and is very clumsy -- there has to have been a better way to communicate that idea. I also don't quite get why she's saving people from death or copying abilities, but maybe that's just my unfamiliarity with the trope. As for the card itself, it seems decent, although we haven't yet seen rare walkers with no way to increase loyalty.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
MaRo has said that poison-as-a-cost has large developmental concerns, although in this case it's maybe ok since 5 mana for -X/-X is already fine for any value of X. The whole package feels like it wouldn't actually play that well, but the idea is very fun.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. Jimmy Groove
3. RaikouRider

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bumping this thread to remind everyone to get their critiques and top 3s in, and that Round 2 is extended until tomorrow!

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Rather than removing loyalty counters to pay Lila's loyalty costs, you may take the same number of poison counters instead.
-X: Put X -1/-1 counters on up to one target creature. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead and its controller gets a poison counter.
-10: Draw X cards and each opponent gets X poison counters, where X is the number of poison counters you have.
At first glance it reminds me of some amalgam of Phyrexian Vatmother, Hand of the Praetors and Virulent Wound, which is definitly in flavour.
I am not sure of a static ability in terms of rules execution. Can I replace only full loyalty cost, so the only way to get ultimate is through normal means, or can I split the cost between poison counters and loyalty? No matter which is the correct answer, I find it little inelegant - former means that static ability applies realisticly only to middle ability, and the latter means that I can ultimate right away for big card advantage and probably killing opponents right away (pay only 1 loyalty, get 9 poison and since you are probably playing infect, you ought to poison them at least once at turn 5). Also it should be "get" instead of "take".
I think I like the first ability the most, especially since Yawgmoth, Thran Physician suicidal proliferate starts to scream: "Phyrexia!", and is sneakly hidden +2 at the same time.
The middle one is a somewhat uninspiring value, espescially with the alternate cost, but it makes its work with no issues and that is important.
Ultimate is really dependent on the rules interpretation of static ability, but in vaccum it is a fine payoff for the classic black suicide in infect variety. If you cannot split the cost between loyalty and poison, then powerwise it is fine.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 years ago
Shinichi, Reincarnated in a Fantasy World 2u
Legendary Planeswalker - Shinichi {R}
Whenever a face-up, nontoken creature you control dies, you may pay 3. If you do, manifest that card.
[-1] Manifest the top card of your library.
[-2] Target face-down creature you control gains the abilities of another target creature until end of turn.
{3}
Well, this is rare. And it has no way of increasing loyalty nor resetting ability. There is only one planeswalker that shares this quirk and it is Sarkhan the Mad. Garruks have their increase somewhat hidden, Kaya resets itself and Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis have built recursion. Considering all of above, I don't see this card. Manifest is not the ability I would associate with a trope Shinichi is built upon, I guess that convoluted ways of recursion can be associated with blue just as manifest, but still I am not coninced. And unless you have a lot of proliferation effects in deck, this card has to low loyalty to actually matter. Manifesting two card locks absolutely the second ability and to keep Shinichi on battlefield (as static ability is probably the best of them) you can use the second ability once and then nothing more.
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Illiya, Samite Vestige WWW
Legendary Planeswalker — Illiya (M)
+1: Until your next turn, if a source would deal damage to you or another permanent you control, prevent 2 of that damage.
-3: Until your next turn, opponents can't cast spells and creatures can't attack.
-8: You get an emblem with "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you or permanents you control."
Nice in flavour of samite healer - first ability is buffed Orim's Touch and the second is kicked Orim's Chant. Also high white devotion is spot on.
Yet, both first ability and ultimate feels over-the-top - and what's worse, they absolutely wreck burn and aggro, unless they come prepared, when it turns irrelevant. Protection of the Hekma is the most recent "universal absorb" I recall, alongside things like Urza's Armor - and they are not only more expensive, but less powerful then first ability.
I have not to much to say about the second one, except that it can foil both aforementioned burn/aggro, in addition to storm-decks' plans if played correctly. It does its job well and reasonably.
Ultimate is in most cases more powerful then Serra the Benevolent one. While it takes a lot to get there - unlike in Serra's card - the delaying nature of increasing ability makes it quite reasonable to expect using the ultimate actually. It is more powerful then Worship and more boring at the same time - Worship have fun interaction with instant token production and possible removal-creature protection war between players, while this is either lock or it is instantly made irrelevant with very specific hate cards.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
3 years ago
Fblthp, Lost But Awakened 1UU
Planeswalker - Fblthp (MR)
Whenever you remove the last loyalty counter from Fblthp, Lost But Awakened as part of an activation cost, shuffle Fblthp into it's owner's library.
[-1]: Return up to one nonland permanent you control to its owner's hand. Draw a card.
[-3]: Return target nonland permanent an opponent controls to its owner's hand.
{3}
The static ability should be a replacement effect ("instead"), as this one does not work correctly.
While the idea is fun and fitting for Fblthp I think I am not big fan. It is either "get card advantage for tempo loss" or "mess with opponents tempo". I really want to play it alongside Reality Acid and get three Stone Rains with cantrip in blue, but that would be all about it.
I appreciate the low-power ultimate that is meant to be used many times - through recurring Fblthp from library - but since the classic Totally Lost is instant and less color-locked, couldn't the -3 put on top of library? It would increase its playability, because at this moment I would use it only against an immediate death threat and would be even greater flavour win.
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Yarav, Interplanar Collector 2UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Yarav(Mythic)
+2: Put a flying counter, a hexproof counter or a +1/+1 counters on target creature.
+0: Remove all counters from target creature. Draw a card for each counter removed this way.
-4: Gain control of target creature with a counter on it as long as you control Yarav.
{1}
It reminds of DC Brainiac. I am not sure why, as the connection is rather loose, but still. Otherwise it is not as much of a "collector" as "abductor", I guess.
The first ability puts us in dangerous territory of hexproof counters. I understand the blue's lack of keywords - something that one day maybe will be taken care of - but giving continual hexproof to a creature you control is something that can backfire in terms of balance in so many diffrent ways, especially inblue. The other options are much less interesting by themselves, but they can fuel the other abilities and at the end of the day flying is never a burden.
The middle ability is Give // Take blue side in post-Ikoria world. Is it powerful? Well, depending on the deck, but those with hydras might appreciate it the most. For the others there is usually too long set-up involved to make this busted.
The last ability is nothing to scoff at, as with all the thieving, but it is still not impressive. Graft creatures will appreciate it and the +2 technically plays into it, but it requires improving opponents creatures which will be probably bent on getting down a potentially troubling planeswalker with only 3 loyalty at CMC 4.
This planeswalker screams to me: "Simic", not mon-blue. It would feel much better as a simic planeswalker with this whole counter mess and it would allow more balanced take on the keyword counters.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Angus Greatfoot 7RR
This spell costs X less to cast, where X is the greatest power among creatures you control.
+2: Whenever a creature attacks this turn. it gets +1/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
0: Angus Greatfoot deals damage to any target equal to the number of loyalty counters on him.
-3: Create a 5/5 red Giant creature token with menace and "Whenever this creature attacks, target creature can't block this turn."
Onakke Ogre, next turn Brute Force or Giant Growth, then Angus and 4 damage to standing blocker, so the seven might get into face. There are more then a few +4 power three-drops in red and similiary +3/+X CMC 1 instant ans sorceries (Dreamstalker Manticore and Infuriate just from the last Theros for instance), so it is quite possible to cast Angus on forth or maybe even third turn (with Bloodrage Brawler), where his 0 ability would be rather oppresive. In this regard, while the +2 is fine both with high power creatures (trample) and more swarm options provided by goblins (universal half-anthem, the -3 is not worth it. It decreases the damage of middle ability and gives you a token that while in most cases is unblockable - requires at least three blockers - pales against the much more straightforward damage from 0. Its redeeming quality - the fact it blinds creature - makes it more appealing when in larger group, but making more of those tokens at the expense of guaranteed 4 or more damage is not the cost I would pay.
Ink-Trader
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 years ago
Carris, the Rootless 2G
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1, then put a loyalty counter on Carris if that land doesn't share a name with another land you control.
0: You may sacrifice a land. If you do, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a land card. Put that card onto the battlefield, then put each other card revealed this way on the bottom of your library in a random order.
-5: Gain control of each land target opponent controls until end of turn. Untap them. Those lands can't be sacrificed for as long as you control them.
[3]
Interesting. A green planeswalker, that instead of ramp cares more about quality of the lands at hand. The flavour of constant wanderer is somewhat stretched, but not necessarilly too much. Static ability for curiosity of new findings, the 0 to represent moving to another land and the ultimate is the most distanced from flavour, but as a package it works.
There are 268 diffrently named lands that have green color identity, so it should not be a problem to meet the right density for Carris's static ability. This way we can almost make sure that the O ability will increase loyalty.
Getting to ultimate - in constructed at least, in limited it might be outright impossible - shouldn't be too hard, so it is more of a question "when" there would be a good moment to use it, not "if". And to be honest I imagine playing Carris af early as possible, then waiting to crack the ultimate for many turns before opponent finally amasses critical mass of lands to pay for a big enough hydra to smash their face. Does not sound like my idea of fun, but diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1.Ink-Trader
2.Slimytrout
3.RaikouRider

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

slimytrout: I think a flavor home run with the power boosts and cost efficiency of the card balanced with the high enough initial cost to require a setup. A rough topdeck though with no board.

netn10: A blue card that can repeatedly remove counters from a creature sure seems annoying to the opponent.

Jimmy Groove: A creative design for sure, and I love the card's potential flavor here, but I'm not quite 100 percent if the static ability would work the way you'd want it to work ruleswise. Still a fun card nonetheless.

Sojourner Dusk: Not a big fan of the potential multi-application silence card, but the -3 balances that out so its okay. Standard white planeswalker design with aspects core to the color, although the triple white stands out most.

Pygyzy: Not a monocolored planeswalker.

Lorn Asbord Schutta: That Zero ability may just be better in many circumstances than Jace's 0 on the broken planeswalker card. It's not too hard to have tapped creatures on the sides of your opponents. That plus two is pretty dang powerful too. Nonetheless a unique card that might cost one mana too few.

Ink-Treader: That pesky -5 ability is quite powerful because it can happen on the turn you play the card under the right circumstances.

Top 3:

3rd: Lorn Asbord Schutta
2nd: slimytrout
1st: Jimmy Groove
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Extending critiques for this round by 24 hours.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

1) Subject16
2) slimytrout
3) Lorn Asbord Schutta

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
This enables a kill the turn it lands pretty easily, which I don't like.
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Milena, Field Physicist 2RR
Legendary Planeswalker — Milena (Mythic)
+1: The next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn costs 2 less to cast.
-2: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your precombat main phase, add R."
-7: Until end of turn, you may pay 0 rather than the mana cost for instant or sorcery spells that you cast.
Starting Loyalty:4
Has the first ability ever occurred in red? Ability #2 seems very good.
marioguy3 wrote:
3 years ago
Thrush, Air Crusher
Legendary Planeswalker — Thrush
1: Up to one target bird you control gets +0/+2 and gains hexproof until end of turn.
0: Whenever a bird creature you control dies this turn, draw a card, then discard a card.
-6: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control with flying cannot be blocked."
I think this could be powered up significantly.
Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
Raven Man UBR
Legendary Planeswalker — Raven (M)
0: Each player sacrifices a creature that entered the battlefield during their last turn. Create a number of 1/1 black Bird creature tokens with flying, equal to their total power.
0: Return Raven Man to it's owner's hand.
-X: Birds you control get +X/+0, and gain haste, and trample, until end of turn.
DQ for multicolor.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Artago, Adroit Fencer
Legendary Planeswalker - Artago (M)
+2: Target creature an opponent controls must attack Artago, Adroit Fencer each combat if able until Artago leaves the battlefield. Activate this ability only if Artago entered the battlefield this turn.
0: Scry 1. If opponent controls tapped creature, Scry 3 instead.
-1: Return Artago, Adroit Fencer and each creature that attacked him last turn to their owners' hands.
Should the second ability be "If target opponent controls a tapped creature" or "If an opponent controls a tapped creature"? I like this.
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 years ago
Carris, the Rootless 2G
[3]
Cool static ability. I am already thinking of ways to abuse the ultimate.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Angus Greatfoot 7RR
I think you could lose the first activated ability and up the starting loyalty to 5 for more interesting play tension, but I really like this design.
1. slimytrout
2. Lord Asbord Schutta
3. Ink-Treader

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”