July MCC, Round 1: On the Square

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Austere Command by Anna Steinbauer and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
July MCC, Round 1 - On the Square

Welcome to the July MCC! It's Orderliness Month here at the MCC. Cards designed this month will have something clean, simple, or just well-put-together about their aesthetic.

Main Challenge: Design a creature card that has nonvariable power and toughness, and power equal to its toughness. (e.g., 1/1, 5/5, 9/9)
Subchallenge 1: Your card's power and toughness are each 7 or greater.
Subchallenge 2: Your card has flying.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Tuesday, July 7th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Saturday, July 11th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Subchallenge 2: Your card must have flying at all times. Suntail Hawk would pass. Majestic Myriarch and Leaping Master would not.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
Ryder
Subject16

If you are not interested in playing, please sign up to judge the contest!

Players:
Anyone is welcome to enter this first round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Serra's Battle Crier 7ww
Creature - Angel {R}
Affinity for token creatures (This spell costs 1 less to cast for each token creature you control.)
Flying
Other creatures you control get +1/+1.
The righteous warrior's heart is both a string drawn taut by Serra's clarion call and a sounding post to amplify it far and wide.
7/7
Last edited by Phyrexian Editor 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Psychosis Delusion
Creature — Illusion (R)
Flying
Psychosis Delusion gets -1/-1 for each card in your library.
The others just poof from existence the moment you go insane.
20/20

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Unkindness of Ravens 5bb
Creature — Bird (R)
Flying
When Unkindness of Ravens enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 black Bird creature token with flying for each Bird you control.
T, Tap X Birds you control: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn.
7/7
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Creature — Horror Avatar (M)
Flying, first strike, wither, trample. menace
When Avatar of Ruin enters the battlefield, if it was cast, destroy all other nonland permanents.
Rumors abound of its appearance, though none sane have ever offered a description.
7/7
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

It that Owns 8
Legandery Creature - Eldrazi (Mythic)
Flying, trample
It that Owns attacks each turn if able.
At the beginning of your upkeep, target opponent gains control of you.
20/20

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Eruption Elemental 3RRR
Creature - Elemental {R}
Flying, trample
Combat damage dealt by creatures you control is treated as though it were noncombat damage instead.
7/7
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 3 years ago

Syvvis, Flutebound Noble 2RR
Legendary Creature - Efreet (MR)
Flying
When Syvvis, Flutebound Noble enters the battlefield, create a legendary equipment artifact token named "Cursed Flute" with "Equipped creature has haste and attacks each turn if able." and indestructable and equip 3
Syvvis cannot attack or block unless a creature equipped with an equipment named "Cursed Flute" also attacks or blocks.
Those who pick up the simple instrument hear a booming voice telling them of the fall of nations, pulling their hearts towards conquest.
7/7
Last edited by Jimmy Groove 3 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Niv-Mizzet, Rebuilder WUBRG
Legendary Creature - Dragon Avatar (M)
Flying
During each of your turns, for each color pair, you may cast a spell that's exactly those colors from your graveyard.
"For Ravnica to recover, the cooperation of the guilds must not end when peace begins."
7/7
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Flogarpakos, Fiery Predator 4RRR
Legendary Creature — Dragon (R)
Flying
When Flogarpakos, Fiery Predator enters the battlefield, choose one —
• Flogarpakos gains haste until end of turn.
• Flogarpakos deals damage equal to your devotion to red to any target.
"Legends talk about a huge fiery predator that soared the sky centuries ago. Who knows if it's still there, and if its legend is truth."
—Lanathos

7/7
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Idle Curiosity 3UU
Creature - Elemental (R)
Flying
Idle Curiosity gets -1/-1 for each card in your hand.
Whenever Idle Curiosity deals combat damage to a player, draw that many cards.
"Only a fool could ever conceive of knowing enough."
-Kasmina
7/7
Last edited by Ink-Treader 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

Mystical Ship
Creature — Spirit (Mythic Rare)
Flying
Whenever Mystical Ship attacks, you draw two cards and each opponent discards two cards.
At the beginning of your endstep, exile all cards from each opponent's graveyard.
At the end of the day, those who don't survive the arduous journey become dust, never to be seen again.
7/7
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 3 years ago

Master of Wishes 6UUU
Legendary Creature - Djinn {M}
Flying
When you cast this spell, you may choose up to 7 cards you own from outside the game, reveal them, then put them into your hand.
"My wish is your command."
8/8

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Comet Phoenix 4RRR
Creature - Phoenix {M}
Flying
When Comet Phoenix enters the battlefield, if you cast it, destroy all lands.
Exile seven land cards from your graveyard: Return Comet Phoenix from your graveyard to your hand.
7/7

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to keep this round open until we get 15 total entries (which is to say at least 2 more).
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Garica Incensebomber
Creature - Human Cleric Soldier (r)
: Target creature has base power and toughness 2/2 until end of turn.
Everyone sees the same reality under the fumes of Garica Root.
2/2

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Vulturous Colossus 5BBGG
Creature--Plant Zombie (Rare)
Flying
Whenever one or more cards are put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, return up to that many target cards from your graveyard to your hand.
9/9
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And that will do it! Judges, here are your assignments. The lowest scoring contestant per judge will be eliminated and the rest will advance.

void_nothing:
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pygyzy
netn10
Freyleyes
Henlock

Ryder:
Phyrexian Editor
RaikouRider
Jimmy Groove
bravelion83
MonoRedMage

Subject16:
Sojourner Dusk
slimytrout
Ink-Treader
marioguy3
kwanyeegor-ii

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 3 years ago

Done!
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 years ago
Serra's Battle Crier 7ww
Creature - Angel {R}
Affinity for token creatures (This spell costs 1 less to cast for each token creature you control.)
Flying
Other creatures you control get +1/+1.
The righteous warrior's heart is both a string drawn taut by Serra's clarion call and a sounding post to amplify it far and wide.
7/7
Design
Appeal 2/3 - A big flier for Timmy that also likes tokens, another thing he enjoys. Johnny thinks how to cheat it into play early, not much for Spike.
Elegance 3/3 - Simple and effective, no room for misinterpretation.

Development
Viability 3/3 - Everything screams White on this card, Rare or Mythic would be appropriate, so check and check.
Balance 2.5/3 - Could be a little oppressive in Limited (since this would likely be printed in a set with at least some tokens, 7/7 flying is tough to beat). Other than that, no problems. I appreciate "affinity for token creatures" instead of "affinity for tokens" which could be tempting ;)

Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Affinity for token creatures is a pleasant twist to a known mechanic.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Immediately likeable and understandable, just a step away from "awesome". Pretty cool flavor text, nice work.

Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - "A righteous warrior's heart [...]" is how I feel this should be worded. I'm not a native speaker, so please comment in the MCC Discussion if I'm wrong.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Met.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.

TOTAL 21.5/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Eruption Elemental 3RRR
Creature - Elemental {R}
Flying, trample
Combat damage dealt by creatures you control is treated as though it were noncombat damage instead.
7/7
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Tammy loves a big flier, Jenny's combo senses are tingling, not enough immediate impact for Spike.
Elegance 3/3 - Clean and effective.

Development
Viability 2.5/3 - Definitely Red, definitely regular rare. However, Red doesn't really get all-upside creatures this big and cost-effective. That is Green's domain.
Balance 2.5/3 - Chaos Imps says it's a bit too strong.

Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - That ability is quite intriguing.
Flavor 1/3 - Eruption Elemental and no haste or etb ability... bummer. Also, no flavor text looks really bad here.

Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - "as though it was noncombat damage" - damage is uncountable in this context.

TOTAL 19.5/25
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
3 years ago
Syvvis, Flutebound Noble 2RR
Legendary Creature - Efreet (MR)
Flying
When Syvvis, Flutebound Noble enters the battlefield, create a legendary equipment artifact token named "Cursed Flute" with "Equipped creature has haste and attacks each turn if able." and indestructable and equip 3
Syvvis cannot attack or block unless a creature equipped with an equipment named "Cursed Flute" also attacks or blocks.
Those who pick up the simple instrument hear a booming voice telling them of the fall of nations, pulling their hearts towards conquest.
7/7
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Spike is definitely on board. Johnny could do some work to activate it early, but the reward isn't that great compared to other build-around-this options. Timmy doesn't like jumping through hoops to just use his creatures.
Elegance 1.5/3 - Definitely needs several reads to grok, but it's not that bad. (-0.5). Flavor text doesn't fit (-1).

Development
Viability 3/3 - Very Red. Crazy enough to be Mythic. All good here.
Balance 2.5/3 - Assuming it would work as intended (see Quality), I think it's a bit oppressive in Limited, but it's Mythic, alright. In constructed I could see this making waves in Standard, but nothing too over-the-top. Overall, it's a very swingy design that you did well to keep within bounds of sanity.

Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - That flute mechanic is genius.
Flavor 3/3 - A resounding Yes from my Vorthos!

Polish
Quality 0.5/3 - There's nothing preventing the player from equipping Syvvis himself with the flute. I'm putting this here's as it's clearly an execution mistake. (-1) "Indestructible" (-0.5), missing period at the end of the first ability (-0.5), "can't attack or block" (-0.5)

TOTAL 19/25
bravelion83
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
Flogarpakos, Fiery Predator 4RRR
Legendary Creature — Dragon (R)
Flying
When Flogarpakos, Fiery Predator enters the battlefield, choose one —
• Flogarpakos gains haste until end of turn.
• Flogarpakos deals damage equal to your devotion to red to any target.
"Legends talk about a huge fiery predator that soared the sky centuries ago. Who knows if it's still there, and if its legend is truth."
—Lanathos

7/7
Design
Appeal 2/3 - That's some solid slab of meat for both Timmy and Spike!
Elegance 3/3 - Perfect clarity.

Development
Viability 3/3 - Drakuseth, Maw of Flames says regular Rare is good here. Obviously Red.
Balance 3/3 - Compares well to the aforementioned Drakuseth. Trades sheer firepower for some instant battlefield impact. Good.

Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Fanatic of Mogis deals damage only to players, so this is a small innovation.
Flavor 2.5/3 - A classic big red dragon. Can't go wrong with this, but it's not enough to blow me away :)

Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - Missing devotion reminder text. This isn't Mythic, no shortcuts allowed ;)

TOTAL 21/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Comet Phoenix 4RRR
Creature - Phoenix {M}
Flying
When Comet Phoenix enters the battlefield, if you cast it, destroy all lands.
Exile seven land cards from your graveyard: Return Comet Phoenix from your graveyard to your hand.
7/7
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Jenny and Spike would enjoy this, Tammy would prefer too keep her lands.
Elegance 3/3 - All clear.

Development
Viability 3/3 - Mythic is the right call. No problems with mono-red, this could work in a graveyard-themed set.
Balance 1/3 - If you managed to resolve it in any situation other than certain defeat, either an opponent'd have to kill it immediately or lose. The last ability makes it really unfun in a deck that could bounce back to high mana quickly.

Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Known stuff put together in a new way.
Flavor 2/3 - Phoenixes aren't usually this big. Other than that, it's ok.

Polish
Quality 3/3 - No problems here.

TOTAL 19/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Editor: 21.5
bravelion83: 21
RaikouRider: 19.5
Jimmy Groove: 19
MonoRedMage: 19
Last edited by Ryder 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Done!
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Timmy loves big creatures and keyword soup. Johnny likes the challenge of casting this with alternative means but it doesn't fuel anything beyond that. Spike is mildly interested as a reanimator target, but the mana cost is too much.
(3/3) Elegance – A keyword for each color, and an all encompassing effect. My only concern is with wither not having any reminder text. (See Polish)

Development
(3/3) Viability – This card is very reminiscent of Child of Alara except this wipes on cast rather than on death. Adding a colorless requirement makes it significantly harder to cast as far as I'm concerned, so the power spike between the two seems fine. This feels like a mythic in every way.
(1.5/3) Balance – Boy if a card like this ever saw play, deck would have to pack as many removal spells and counters as they can just for this card, because it would be practically impossible to beat this in combat. Luckily the casting cost is crippling and would probably mostly see play in reanimator decks, where it's a little less powerful for not clearing the board on ETB. But it's a strong enough card that it would push deckbuilders to try and make it work. Combat-wise First strike and wither are incredibly synergistic, and when paired with flying and menace, it means that when declaring blockers you need two 7/7 flyers/reachers to even trade, which to me points towards a level of imbalance. You have to answer this with a kill spell/counter or you die, which I think doesn't nurture a healthy metagame.

Creativity
(2/3) UniquenessSlivdrazi Monstrosity beats the "six color creature" idea by a slim margin. Chromanticore-level of keyword soup and board-wipe on cast are old concepts used in a newish way.
(2.5/3) Flavor – Very realistic name that reflects the card's abilities. The flavor text is fine but I can't help but think of that one scene in Pirates of the Caribbean. Horror Avatar is an interesting combination of creature types, but I feel that combining two esoteric creature types together takes away a little from each.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – Since it's not an evergreen mechanic, wither should have reminder text.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Met
(2/2) Subchallenges – It's a 7/7 flyer.

Total: 20.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal – Timmy loves dragons and big spells. Johnny and Spike both like the graveyard opportunities.
(3/3) Elegance – Simple to read, easy to understand.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Multicolor matters always fits well on a five color creature, especially since it cares about all colors equally. This is definitely a mythic in feeling and complexity.
(2/3) Balance – Being able to cast ten different cards from your graveyard each turn does raise some concerns in terms of balance. The most similar card to this in that regard is Muldrotha, the Gravetide, a card that didn't make massive waves in competitive formats but that has some reputation in singleton formats like brawl and commander. This is because the amount of value she can generate is near-groan inducing, and she could only play up to five different cards. Niv here doubles the size of the playing field, but the double color requirements mean you're probably going to spend a lot of mana this way, and I think the five-color casting requirement makes it more appropriate, but as a commander it'll generate a lot of mixed feelings. I do think however that being able to recast the same multicolor instant or sorcery each turn may lend itself to be too oppressive, especially if it's a premium removal spell. If it exiled said spells upon resolution like Kess, Dissident Mage does I'd be more amenable to it.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – It mixes together elements of "cast from your graveyard" commanders we see on an almost yearly basis with the "color pair" element from Niv-Reborn. Nice concept, but it's old concepts used in a new way.
(2/3) Flavor – I feel like "rebuilder" seems a little off for such a high-status being like Niv-Mizzet. Perhaps a more design-oriented title like 'architect' would have fit better. The flavor text is good if not a little obviously stated. The mechanics of the card and Niv's character arc help show a clear intention to what his designs towards Ravnica are.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – The type line should be an EM dash (—) rather than a hyphen (-).
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) – Met

Total: 21.5/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal – Timmy is happy seeing a big flyer but sad when it turns out to be smaller than expected. Johnny wants to find a way around the negative scaling. Spike isn't interested in what is essentially a delayed draw spell.
(2/3) Elegance – Easy to understant, no particularly confusing text. It's a little unclear perhaps that once this creature deals damage to a player, no matter how many cards you end up drawing it's still going to kill itself (unless you then discard cards or cast an instant).

Development
(3/3) Viability – Drawbacks aren't blue's powerhouse, but when they are they do usually relate to your hand size. Being able to draw a lot of cards at once on combat damage solidly puts this at rare.
(3/3) Balance – This card lends itself to a fairly aggressive stragegy which isn't blue's go-to strategy, but it does exist. It also benefits from being instant heavy or having discard outlets to get as big a hand refill as possible. The fact that unless you directly play around it you'll always draw to seven cards in your hand and kill it prevents it from being particularly oppressive on its own.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – We've seen cards that scale smaller with your hand, Geralf's Masterpiece comes to mind seeing as it's also got the same mana cost and stats. We've also seen the "draw that many cards" a couple times as well. We've not seen these together before, but it's still old concepts used in a new way.
(2.5/3) Flavor – For a card that wants to attack to do its thing, 'Idle' doesn't feel like it fits, but the curiosity is perfect when we also consider the card Curiosity. The flavor text is perfect to me and really resonates with our image of Kasmina as a teacher.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – The type line should be an EM dash (—) rather than a hyphen (-).

marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Timmy loves big creatures, and a ghost ship makes him very gleeful. Johnny isn't sure how what to do with this. Spike is a big fan of the card advantage it generates, but is wary of it not having any immediate impact.
(3/3) Elegance – The card reads just fine. No concerns raised.

Development
(3/3) Viability – The "I draw, you discard" effect is solidly Dimir, and the volume of it and the creature it's stapled would make this too powerful for a rare, I'd definitely put this at mythic.
(2.5/3) Balance – The card this reminds me of the most is Sire of Stagnation, although this card is much more proactive. Left unanswered this card can steal games away, as a 7/7 flyer means blocking and killing this would be much harder than usual. Because of this it's likely that (if not answered immediately) this could attack one or two times for sure, at which point you've robbed your opponents of their hands and refilled yours, which is a control deck's dream. But it's also very slow at seven mana, and more than likely too slow to see any competitive play.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – We haven't had a "I draw, you discard" ability that triggers on attack before, and a persistent exiling of graveyards that isn't a replacement effect is rare, and this is the first time I've seen it like this.
(1/3) Flavor – For a mythic rare creature, I would expect a better name than "mystical ship" for sure. The fact that vehicles are now a part of the game also poses questions as to this card's flavor. Is the ship itself a ghost? Is it a ghostly crew (and if so should they have been Pirates?). The flavor text is a little odd as well, the dust referring to the exiling of graveyards. But who are the one who don't survive? The creatures that block the ship? The discarded cards? It just's very confusing.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality – There's a missing space between "end" and "step". The proper wording for the second ability should be "exile each opponent's graveyard."
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Met

Total: 20/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Timmy loves a big creature, Johnny wants to mess around will milling. Spike sees huge opportunities but is very quickly deterred by that huge mana cost.
(2/3) Elegance – The card is very simply worded.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability – Whilst black and green are the cornerstones of card recursion and a card like this would definitely fit in those colors, however I think that the scale of recursion breaks the game a little too much (see balance), and definitely belongs at mythic, not rare.
(1/3) Balance – The way it's worded right now, I can Murder an opponent's creature, and then with the Colossus immediately get my Murder back. This also works with something like Mind Rot, and these are minimal levels. The amount of recursion you get, and the ease of means to get recursion is insane. Imagine this on the field and casting Windfall or Fleshbag Marauder. The only thing holding this card back is it's 9cmc mana cost which makes it far too expensive for a competitive format (unless you can cheat it into play with something like Ilharg), but for casual games and formats like Commander this card can be a ridiculous source of value and would be far too oppressive.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – The closest thing we have to this kind of effect is Tamiyo, the Moon Sage's emblem or Glissa, the Traitor, but neither of these are similar enough or on a similar scale enough to be considered a redo.
(2/3) Flavor – This clearly refers to Vulturous Zombie and flavorfully the mechanics of the card is a nice homage. There's definitely room on this card for flavor text which would have been nice.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – The type line line should be an EM dash (—) not two hyphens (- -).
(2/2) Subchallenges – It's a 9/9 Flyer

Total: 18/25

Scores
Show
Hide
Slimytrout: 21.5/25
Sojourner Dusk: 20.5/25
Ink-Treader: 20.5/25
marioguy3: 20/25

kwanyeegor-ii: 18/25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy OBVIOUSLY likes a 20/20 and Jxnny/Spike are salivating at the idea of this neo-Death's Shadow.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The only inelegant thing about this is the annoyance of having to count the number of cards in your library, but thankfully once it's fewer than twenty it becomes much more manageable.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Makes sense in blue and this would have to be rare.
(1.5/3) Balance - The combo potential here is more than a little scary. Even using it "fairly" to end a game can be relatively easy, especially in Limited.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Lies somewhere in-between Death's Shadow and Isleback Spawn.
(3/3) Flavor - Great! I really like this - the flavor is well-explored territory but you did it with polish.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Primarily a Txmmy card. Jxnny sees the unusual theme-color matchup and is intrigued but the card itself is quite linear and blunt. Spike doesn't really care.
(3/3) Elegance - Fine, if relatively wordy.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Bird tribal really doesn't seem to fit in black. There's nothing stopping you from doing that, of course, but there have been a fair number of cards that care about Birds particularly between Invasion and Onslaught blocks and all of them have been white and/or blue.
(3/3) Balance - A big beater with a costly removal ability. It seems fine.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Plenty of precedent for "make a TYPE token for every TYPE you control" as well as "tap X untapped TYPEs you control:" effects.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Sheesh, how many ravens are IN this flock? Murder of Crows is about half the size of this. Also, as I said in the Viability section, large flocks of Birds, even (especially) corvids, are blue rather than black. All of the non-undead ravens, crows, and magpies in Magic are blue.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Activated ability nees an "untapped" in there.

Total: 18/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy wants to autoplay with a beatdown. Jxnny wants to plunk an Eon Hub and laugh. Spike wants to reanimate this first turn when they have nothing for the opponent to use anyhow.
(2/3) Elegance - Gaining control of a player's turn is an involved process, and there would have to be new rules for gaining control of a player's turn already in progress (the existing effects that are related to this involve a next turn) but this is elegant in literal, text terms. The attacks if able being a positive rather than drawback ability is genius.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely mythic and feels pretty Eldrazi.
(2/3) Balance - While this is some of the most tempting reanimation bait ever, it comes with a drawback that can give your opponent a victory out of the jaws of defeat.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - A wild card - controlling turns is not done very often and this is a whole unique spin on that.
(2/3) Flavor - Certainly raises questions: Is this an unknown Titan, and if so, why no "true" name?

Polish
(2/3) Quality - "Legendary" misspelled. "Attacks if able" abilities now refer to combats and not turns.

Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - All-rounder; who doesn't want something this strong?
(3/3) Elegance - Pretty understandable.

Development
(2/3) Viability - I'm not sure this effect is printable, unmodified - and besides this card really feels like it needs another color. The tutor aspect makes me want to say it should be black.
(1/3) Balance - Even if it's a cast trigger on an expensive card, an uncounterable "tutor seven from sideboard" is an insane effect - it means "get your winning hand right away". The one saving grace is that Commander doesn't have sideboards.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Wishes are well-treaded by this point, but this is the craziest wish ever.
(2/3) Flavor - Great flavor text, but no proper name on a legend?

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - That numeral 7 should be a number word seven.

Total: 19.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Not much of a Txmmy card. Jxnny has LOTS to do with this - starting with Char-Rumbler shenanigans. Spike likes a versatile "hate"bear.
(3/3) Elegance - Solid stuff.

Development
(3/3) Viability - I like that despite the funky hybrid costing, this fits in all the colors it represents. Definitely a rare.
(3/3) Balance - A very fair card - the activated ability cuts fatties to manageable size but will never outright remove one. You have to do extra work for that. I also like the utility with things like base 0/0s and Ornithopters.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - A lot of cool stuff going on here.
(3/3) Flavor - Funky - kind of Alice in Wonderland - but I like it a lot.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(0/2) Subchallenges - Neither.

Total: 22/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Henlock 22
Lorn Asbord Schutta 21.5
netn10 20.5
Freyleyes 19.5

Pygyzy 18

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”