void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL June Signups/Round 2

"Tools of the Shinobi"

Kusari-Gama, taken from EchoMTG, by Tomas Giorello and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Kamigawa Month here in the CCL! The Champions of Kamigawa block performed poorly in mechanical terms, but it's considered to have one of the best Magic storylines ever. So for that reason, this month will focus more on Kamigawa's legendaries and its story elements than mechanics.

Challenge
Design an Equipment card flavored as a covert or spy-related weapon or tool.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Sunday, June 14th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (June 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due June 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (June 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due June 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (June 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due June 29th)
  • Final (July, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Masterwork Lockpicks
Artifact — Equipment (R)
Equipped creature can't be blocked.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, look at the top three cards of that player's library, then put them back in any order.
Equip
"Time to change guard assignments again."
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Poison in Tooth
Tribal Artifact - Assassin Rogue Equipment (U)
Whenever equipped creature is blocked, destroy it.
Whenever a Assassin or Rogue creature enters the battlefield, you may attach Poison in Tooth to it.
Equip
For others - device lacking sense. For those who trade in knowledge - grim necessity.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Dimir Spydrobe 2
Artifact - Equipment (Common)
Equipped creature have menace and hexproof.
Equip 4 or UB

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Flickerslash Blade 3
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +2/+0 and has first strike.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, it phases out. (All permanents attached to it phase out as well.)
Equip 2
The assassins of Kai-Rhiesh have learned to hone a dagger so sharp it can cut through time.
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Tools of the Trade 2
Artifact - Equipment {U}
Equipped creature can't be blocked except by creatures that share a type with it.
Equipped creature has hexproof from players who don't control a creature that shares a type with it.
Equip 2
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

Shadow-Dash Tabi 1U
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature has haste and skulk
Ninjutsu abilities you activate cost 1 less if you return equipped creature as part of the activation cost.
Equip 1

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

Sword of Discharge
Artifact - Equipment (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and gains skulk.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, search that player's library for an equipment card, exile it, then shuffle your library.
Equip—Exile the top three cards of your library face down
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Ashiko 2
Artifact--Equipment (Uncommon)
Equipped creature can't be blocked by Walls. It gets +1/+0 if it's a Ninja.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may create a Treasure token or gain control of up to one target artifact that player controls with converted mana cost 1 or less.
Equip 2

Ashiko
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Apellosine

Post by Apellosine » 3 years ago

Portable Scrying Orb 2
Artfact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has skulk.
When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, investigate.
Equip 2
Equip - Sacrifice a Clue

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Officer's Tessen 1W
Artifact — Equipment (u)
Equipped creature has infiltrate. (Equipped creature can only be blocked by tapped creatures as though they were untapped.)
Equip w
Iaijitsu 2w (2w: If this card is attached to an unblocked creature, exchange this Equipment with an Equipment card in your hand.)
Tessen denote rank, family, class, and military achievement with insignia. Each issued is unique, an infallible form of identification for the Baku Guard.
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 27 times in total.

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Mask of the Three-Edge Mirror 5
Legendary Artifact – Equipment {R}
Equip 5
Equip ninja 1
Equipped creature cannot be blocked and has myriad.
If equipped creature is legendary, during your turn, treat other permanents you control with the same name as if they aren't legendary.
Four faces—but only one true threat.
Last edited by Phyrexian Editor 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Hidden Incendiaries RR
Artifact - Equipment {R}
Equipped creature has haste and menace.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice Hidden Incendiaries. If you do, destroy target artifact or land that player controls and Hidden Incendiaries deals 2 damage to that player.
Equip 2

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 3 years ago

Boots of Speaking 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Whenever equipped creature becomes blocked, you may pay 2. If you do, untap it and remove it from combat.
Equip 2 or Discard a card.
A constant line of communication makes sure agents know when and where to strike, and helps them avoid otherwise lethal situations. It is for the best that this form of communication is subtle, even if the details are somewhat comical.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Azurine Spyglass 2U
Artifact — Equipment (Uncommon)
Equipped creature has "1, T: Scry 2."
Whenever equipped creature attacks, reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. If it's a land card, equipped creature can't be blocked this turn.
Equip 1
The compound is guarded by heavy duty automatons. The tunnels under it by mice.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Grandmistress' Teogi 2
Artifact - Equipment (u)
Whenever equipped creature would deal damage, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.
Equip 2 or r
As deadly as any instrument of seduction can be.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round is closed! Please critique the seven contestants above you on this list, looping to the bottom as necessary.

Sojourner Dusk
Lorn Asbord Schutta
netn10
slimytrout
RaikouRider
Daylit
marioguy3
kwanyeegor-ii
Apellosine
Pygyzy
Phyrexian Editor
MonoRedMage
Jimmy Groove
Subject16
Henlock
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Pygyzy

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

netn10 - for a common it's good. Wish it had the saboteur ability. Hexproof and menace is good my only problem with it is that when I'm playing blue black, most likely I'm already playing creatures that have some sort of evasion, are hard to deal with or I want to die. That could just be how I build decks but the ub equip seems wasted
slimytrout - Phasing during combat is a good application and I feel like it's only done on 1 maybe 2 cards. Seems balanced and it's a real pain for your opponent. I like it.
RaikouRider — Ok this card I love it. I've played around with abilities like this before but I never put them together and I think this is a great use.
Daylit - Haste on a blue card is interesting not sure if that would fly or not. Skulk is tbh one of my least favorite keywords. It doesn't do enough IMO and is a waste of a keyword. That's just my opinion tho. Especially cuz adding power makes it weaker. I never got it. The ninjitsu reduction is really cool tho. That would really help any ninja deck and I would definitely play this card.
marioguy3 - The name bothers me a bit but it's an interesting card. Repeated shuffling could get annoying and the equip cost is negligible. I'm not sure exiling Equipment is super useful but not having to deal with swords could be nice.
kwanyeegor-ii - Good card and flavorful. Even though it has a ton of uses, I feel like it'll mostly see sideboard play. Would have like it if it couldn't be blocked by creatures with defender or reach. Might have helped add to the climbing flavor and also make it stronger.
Apellosine — Very nice card. Balanced well with Rogue's Gloves, however I'm a little worried that the addition of skulk pushes it over power level. I probably woulda cost this at 3. Only because repeatable draw at 2 + evasion is too close to Smuggler's Copter for me to be comfortable. Investigate is slower, but it still gains a lot of value.

T3
Raikourider
Slimy_trout
Daylit

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Apellosine — Templating issues aside, the balance isn't bad. Giving it -1/-0 instead of +1/+0 would have been better paired with skulk.

Pygyzy — Major combat changes will cause headaches. Too much text is italicized. Also, according to your reminder text, Iaijitsu does not attach the new equipment to the unblocked creature.

Phyrexian Editor — Rules text is listed in the wrong order. Workaround Mirror Gallery to take advantage of myriad built in.

MonoRedMage — As much as I enjoy blowing up lands, as an early drop this can hose your opponent. As a late drop, the haste and menace can sometimes be more advantageous.

Jimmy Groove — The name is ridiculous, which your flavor text acknowledges. Gustcloak on an equipment is a nice throwback.

Subject16 — Balanced. Decent flavor.

Henlock — "Gradnmistress's" "If equipped creature..." "Equip " This is too strong for Uncommon, especially for such a low casting cost. Also, what is "covert" about this weapon?

Top 3
3. MonoRedMage
2. Jimmy Groove
1. Subject16
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk: That could be too much card rearranging. You could just put land cards on top every time and make it impossible to play spells

Lorn Asbord Schutta: Wow that is a niche use. I guess this is the hidden cyanide capsule? More of a hoser than a card to actually support those tribes

netn10: Seems like part of a cycle? Very basic but useful card

slimytrout: Ooh awesome use of indirect phasing. perfect flavor. Good job

RaikouRider: Pretty neat, and flavor is very spy centric, but maybe too uninteractive

Daylit: Really nice, definitely fitting flavor. Kinda feels more like a black card though especially with granting haste. And I wish the discount was bigger or it did something else like giving a +1/+1 counter

marioguy3: Sword of... Discharge? Eww lol. +1/+1 doesn't go with skulk at all. The triggered ability is super niche, possibly useless, and the equip cost could pretty much be 0, it would actually be better if it were bc as it is it's broken with Laboratory Maniac
T3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. daylit
3. netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
Officer's Tessen 1W
Artifact — Equipment (u)
Equipped creature has infiltrate. (Equipped creature can only be blocked by tapped creatures as though they were untapped.)
Equip w
Iaijitsu 2w (2w: If this card is attached to an unblocked creature, exchange this Equipment with an Equipment card in your hand.)
Tessen denote rank, family, class, and military achievement with insignia. Each issued is unique, an infallible form of identification for the Baku Guard.
Points for a genuinely-original combat mechanic; those are hard. This mechanic would lead to some weird decisions since it pushes the opponent to attack. It'd be nice if the second ability played into that somehow. I appreciate the flavor behind iaijutsu, though in pop culture it's more of a "samurai duel" thing than a ninja thing.
Apellosine wrote:
3 years ago
Portable Scrying Orb 2
Artfact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has skulk.
When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, investigate.
Equip 2
Equip - Sacrifice a Clue
You can probably just do "Equip 2 or sacrifice a clue." I'm not a huge skulk fan.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Ashiko 2
Artifact--Equipment (Uncommon)
Equipped creature can't be blocked by Walls. It gets +1/+0 if it's a Ninja.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may create a Treasure token or gain control of up to one target artifact that player controls with converted mana cost 1 or less.
Equip 2
Templating suggestion: "you may gain control… If you don't, create a Treasure token." The Wall thing is cute though you might expand it to "creatures with defender" to make this more useful.
marioguy3 wrote:
3 years ago
Sword of Discharge
Artifact - Equipment (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and gains skulk.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, search that player's library for an equipment card, exile it, then shuffle your library.
Equip—Exile the top three cards of your library face down
Sword of Discharge sounds like an Epic Spell Wars card. I can picture the art of a sword spewing pus. (I'm assuming that's not what you were going for here.) This seems pretty narrow.
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Shadow-Dash Tabi 1U
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature has haste and skulk
Ninjutsu abilities you activate cost 1 less if you return equipped creature as part of the activation cost.
Equip 1
Everyone is skulking in this challenge. Does everyone else like skulk more than me? I think this needs better evasion or some kind of P/T bonus to be playable.
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Tools of the Trade 2
Artifact - Equipment {U}
Equipped creature can't be blocked except by creatures that share a type with it.
Equipped creature has hexproof from players who don't control a creature that shares a type with it.
Equip 2
I would cut the second ability and add a P/T bonus.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Flickerslash Blade 3
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +2/+0 and has first strike.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, it phases out. (All permanents attached to it phase out as well.)
Equip 2
The assassins of Kai-Rhiesh have learned to hone a dagger so sharp it can cut through time.
This one took me a second to get, but when I did, I smiled. Maybe it wants "combat damage to a creature" to make it clearer why this is useful.

Top three:
1. slimytrout
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. Pygyzy

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Some significant typos ("have" vs. "has" and "Spydrobe" vs. "Spyprobe"/"Spydrone") mar an otherwise elegant card. Could have been slightly more innovative with the equipment's effect and more liberal with the flavor text.
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Was extremely confused until I realized you could attach it to your opponent's Assassins and Rogues. I will give it credit for being an innovative hate card (we've never seen anything remotely like it), but the niche it fills is so small that I'm not sure it really needs filling.
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Brutal in the late game, when you can prevent your opponent from ever drawing the answer to this. Overall I think it wouldn't be that fun of a card, even if it is a novel effect.
Henlock
Show
Hide
No idea what a teogi is, and no clues on the internet, so I'm very confused about the flavor of this, which isn't great in a flavor-based challenge. As for the card itself, it seems to be quite close to just giving +1/+0 (with the biggest exception being when it's attached to pingers) and therefore is quite overcosted.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Fun card. Some nice tension between the activation and the attack trigger. None of the effects are all that innovative, but overall I think it would feel pretty novel.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Kind of jam-packed, both in its laundry list of abilities and in its long flavor text. I think both parts could have been trimmed to make a more elegant card with similar functionality. But there's definitely a kernel of a fun idea here, with the menace and the ability to remove itself from combat: "you can block me, but it'll cost you and I'll still escape."
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
It's not too hard to hit with this on turn three in standard, whereas in Limited it's more realistic on turn four, but either way it could be pretty brutal as a way to get a creature through and hit for an additional two and blow up a land. However, the floor is pretty low, so I don't think it's a truly unreasonable card.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. Jimmy Groove
3. MonoRedMage

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

RaikouRider

Daylit

marioguy3

kwanyeegor-ii

Apellosine

Pygyzy

Phyrexian Editor

No time for crits, just a top 3:

1 Pygyzy
2 Apellosine
3 Daylit

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

This time a shorter ones, I am sorry if anyone wanted longer analysis.
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Masterwork Lockpicks
Artifact — Equipment (R)
Equipped creature can't be blocked.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, look at the top three cards of that player's library, then put them back in any order.
Equip
"Time to change guard assignments again."
If this was an Aura with cost of , then I would feel more comfortable. It is not a Fateseal, but still a potential soft-lock, especially since Dimir is prone to looking at opponent's hand, knowing what they need. It also throws a solution for getting a trigger in form straight unblockability. Now, if this was an Aura, you would have to recur it from graveyard after enchanted creature was detroyed, which at least gives it a risk of getting two-for-one for a powerful effect. But the challange was to make an equipment, so the changes in this card would have to be more systematic. I am not sure if there is any kind of keyword which would fit - other then skulk, which is unpleasant in other ways - but it has to grant a "softer" evasion then unblockability. Even old Invisibility would make this more bearable. As of now, with hexproof creatures in deck, even Wrath of God would not help for long.
But the flavour between setting topdeck and messing with the guards timetable is amazing, I will give you that.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Grandmistress' Teogi 2
Artifact - Equipment (u)
Whenever equipped creature would deal damage, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.
Equip 2 or r
As deadly as any instrument of seduction can be.
I guess this is an attempt at giving equipment to Mata Hari - an original solution for "covert" part of challange.
However, without the flavour text I would never consider it related to spies work, mainly because I do not know what Teogi is. The effect works fine with evasive creatures - such as most rogues - as it would help killing opponent faster and make their often poor bodies less likely to block... But I would probably attach it to Drakuseth, Maw of Flames [/card] or Glorybringer before Deathcult Rogue or Stealer of Secrets, which probably is not the most "covert" use.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Azurine Spyglass 2U
Artifact — Equipment (Uncommon)
Equipped creature has "1, T: Scry 2."
Whenever equipped creature attacks, reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. If it's a land card, equipped creature can't be blocked this turn.
Equip 1
The compound is guarded by heavy duty automatons. The tunnels under it by mice.
A great in terms of flavour - creature takes a while to look at the complex to rob - Scry 2 - and when it has vision on tunnels - land top - it goes inside. That said, I like it from mechanical stanpoint as well. It is self-contained ability to make anything unblockable, but it requires a setup - or additional cards to either manipulate the top or to untap it. The only gripe I have is that blue does not really care about lands on top - Treasure Hunt and - fittingly for this month - Callous Deceiver are the only ones I could find on quick search.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
3 years ago
Boots of Speaking 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Whenever equipped creature becomes blocked, you may pay 2. If you do, untap it and remove it from combat.
Equip 2 or Discard a card.
A constant line of communication makes sure agents know when and where to strike, and helps them avoid otherwise lethal situations. It is for the best that this form of communication is subtle, even if the details are somewhat comical.
A fine one, feels more like something for saboteur running through camp with torch and then suddenly hiding in the dark, but it is in line with "covert tools". Gustcloaking is really elegant way of capturing an escape artist, maybe even more then Cunning Evasion. If anything to complain, I would point out that in terms of mana - even if it eats additional card - it is a cheaper haste enabler then Swiftfoot Boots which might make this card used mostly for this, but menace and conditional saving is less impressive then hexproof.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Hidden Incendiaries RR
Artifact - Equipment {R}
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice Hidden Incendiaries. If you do, destroy target artifact or land that player controls and Hidden Incendiaries deals 2 damage to that player.
Equip 2
Another saboteur equipment. And the same choice of keywords. Well, I do not know why it is not as pleasant as Jimmy's design for me, but it might have to do with my dislike of colored artifacts.
A conditional Demolish with a Shock attached to it, all three mana less? I am not so sure about it. Maybe lack of menace or haste would be helpful here, as those both keywords at the same time are little opressive when all you want is to connect with equipped creature. On the other hand, when once cracked, they are not coming back, which is fine in my book. I wish it was a mandatory sacrifice, though.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 years ago
Mask of the Three-Edge Mirror 5
Legendary Artifact – Equipment {R}
Equip 5
Equip ninja 1
Equipped creature cannot be blocked and has myriad.
If equipped creature is legendary, during your turn, treat other permanents you control with the same name as if they aren't legendary.
Four faces—but only one true threat.
Equip abilities should be at the end of the card. Futhermore, this card is overcosted outside multiplayer format. The myriad tokens can be blocked, which might not be intuitive. And both CMC and equip cost makes it rather gated only for ninjas. I am not sure if there is a need to say anything else here, to be honest. I simply dislike it.
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
Officer's Tessen 1W
Artifact — Equipment (u)
Equip w
Why, of course I would play Mist-Cloaked Herald turn 1, turn 2 Officer's Tessen, turn 3 anything with equipping Tessen to Herald, turn 4 laijitsu into Worldslayer, then repeat ad nauseam. Unless you do not attach the new equipment to equipped creature, I reading this right? Then it is much better, because otherwise it runs into same problems as aura swap with Colossification. Cheating Elbrus, the Binding Blade // Withengar Unbound feels nice. It also has funny synergy with living weapon.
Infiltrate is intresting one, as I have many times used Sleep effects as a poor's man unblockability for my creatures, and know instead would have to dramaticlly reverse this strategy. A nod to Masako the Humorless and appreciated one.
I have to say, that I have no idea how strong an evasion ability infiltrate is. Arcades would cry, and your boros weenie go-wide rarely would use a sudden "reverse" vigilance to block equipped creatures. Maybe it would allow to force more stalling strategies to attack and be shreded, or maybe control would start to rely on critters with abilities? I just do not know. But it is innovative, that is for sure.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. Jimmy Groove
3. Pygyzy

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to close critiques and post the new round tomorrow morning. If you haven't critiqued yet, you still can until then.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”