May MCC, Finals: Destination at Last

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Tarnished Citadel by David Martin and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
May MCC, Finals - Destination at Last

Welcome to the May MCC! It's Land Month here at the MCC. Lands are critical to how Magic is played, and this month will mechanically be all about them.

Main Challenge: Design a double-faced nonland card that transforms into a land.
Subchallenge 1: Your card has converted mana cost 5 or greater on its front face.
Subchallenge 2: Your card has three or more activated abilities on its back face.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Sunday, June 7th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Wednesday, June 10th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
bravelion83
Ryder

Players:
@Rithaniel
@Flatline
@Sojourner Dusk
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Burning Isles's Favor
Legendary Enchantment (M)
If an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage, it deals double that damage instead.
When you cast your fourth instant or sorcery spell in a turn, transform Burning Isles's Favor.

//

Bogardan, Pinnacle of Flame
Legendary Land — Mountain (M)
(Transforms from Burning Isles's Favor.)
: Add for each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard.
, Sacrifice Bogardan, Pinnacle of Flame: Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Rithaniel and @Flatline: Just checking in. You have a little under two days before the deadline, please just keep this in mind.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

Ensoul Land 3bg
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant land
When Ensoul Land enters the battlefield, put the top six cards of your library into your graveyard.
Enchanted land is a creature with base power and toughness each equal to the number of creature cards plus the number of land cards in your graveyard. It's still a land.
When enchanted creature dies, return Ensoul Land to the battlefield transformed.
//
Haunted Grounds
Land (R)
t: Add b or g
3b, t: Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
1g, t: Return target land card from your graveyard to your hand.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 3 years ago

Presence of the Great Herd
Legendary Enchantment M
Green creature spells you cast cost less to cast.
At the beginning of each end step, if two or more green creatures died this turn, transform Presence of the Great Herd.
"The great herd should be respected . . ."
—Lou Sidia, druid

Domain of the Great Herd
Legendary Land M
(Transforms from Presence of the Great Herd.)
: Add .
, : Create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.
, : For each green creature you control, choose target creature you don't control. Those creatures fight each other.
". . . for it's rage can flatten any army."
—Lou Sidia, druid
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round closed! Judges you know what to do.

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 3 years ago

Done. Very nice cards, folks. This is a true final.
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Burning Isles's Favor
If an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage, it deals double that damage instead.
When you cast your fourth instant or sorcery spell in a turn, transform Burning Isles's Favor.

//

, Sacrifice Bogardan, Pinnacle of Flame: Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Everybody likes it: Timmy for big effects, Johnny for the build-around potential, Spike for the easy-to-cash-in value.
Elegance 2/3 - No place for misunderstanding anything. Good. What I slightly dislike is the "all-in-one" package feel. It doubles the damage and it generates tons of mana and it's big CA effect. A bit overloaded. Being a Mountain is completely superfluous.

Development
Viability 3/3 - That has "Red Mythic" written all over it. No complaints.
Balance 3/3 - Double Vision has just been spoiled and it's a good card to compare this to. Definitely weaker without transform. Also definitely stronger when transformed. Transforming it is relatively hard to achieve, it's FOUR spells in the same turn. I like how you played it safe here. Between this, Legendary, 5cmc and no immediate board impact, the Land seems reasonable. Full score!

Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Known effects packed in one card.
Flavor 2/3 - Ok, but Bogardan is easy to get right. Just go big.

Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - Missing "(T: Add R)." which is important as it's easy to forget with the other powerful abilities.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Met.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.

TOTAL 20.5/25
Flatline
Show
Hide
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Ensoul Land 3bg
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant land
When Ensoul Land enters the battlefield, put the top six cards of your library into your graveyard.
Enchanted land is a creature with base power and toughness each equal to the number of creature cards plus the number of land cards in your graveyard. It's still a land.
When enchanted creature dies, return Ensoul Land to the battlefield transformed.
//
Haunted Grounds
Land (R)
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Tammy is not willing to let the ensouled land die to make it transform. Spike has no problems with it, it creates a pleasing tension for her. Jenny loves the graveyard filling and the recursion.
Elegance 2/3 - Variable P/T creatures require some extra game state awareness and this one counts two card types.

Development
Viability 3/3 - A nice BG blend of effects. Feels good at Rare.
Balance 3/3 - Big beater with stats dependent on graveyard and nothing else. Rather hard to ignore, but for 5cmc it's good. It actually also "costs" a land to play. The land is a potent recursion engine, but it also costs 5 mana effectively (to grab back a creature). Completely fine. Well done.

Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - Journey to Eternity // Atzal, Cave of Eternity meets Lord of Extinction. That mix feels very fresh though.
Flavor 3/3 - Resonates very well. A possessed/haunted land! I love it!

Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - I know it would look bad, but the correct wording is probably: "Enchanted land is a creature with base power and toughness each equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard plus the number of land cards in your graveyard. It's still a land."

TOTAL 22/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Rithaniel wrote:
3 years ago
Legendary Enchantment M
At the beginning of each end step, if two or more green creatures died this turn, transform Presence of the Great Herd.
—Lou Sidia, druid

Domain of the Great Herd
Legendary Land M
, : For each green creature you control, choose target creature you don't control. Those creatures fight each other.
—Lou Sidia, druid
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Txmmy would enjoy the cost reduction, recompense for creatures dying and finally the Grand Melee! Jxnny is on board as well, good build-around potential. Spike's judgement: win-more.
Elegance 3/3 - The card is a whole and it's well-grokkable. No complaints.

Development
Viability 2.5/3 - Mythic Green, a big check and a big check. That last ability feels a bit chaotic though. It's "each creature you control fights" - complete mayhem. More Red than Green, I'd say. Ezuri's Predation makes new combatants, so you don't care. Setessan Tactics let you choose which creatures fight.
Balance 3/3 - At 5cmc it would serve as an insurance against sweepers. Could fuel some combos with -2 cost reduction, but this late in the game it's not a problem. Land version is obviously very strong, but hard to achieve and not that oppressive. All green!

Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - The only thing that comes close to the transform trigger is Kuon, Ogre Ascendant. But this card is its own story.
Flavor 3/3 - Everything meshes together perfectly.

Polish
Quality 3/3 - No problems here.

TOTAL 23/25
Results
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk: 20.5
Flatline: 22
Rithaniel: 23

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - All-rounder. Who DOESN'T wanna make Bogardan explode? It's big enough for Txmmy, has enough moving parts for Jxnny, and quality enough for Spike.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Several of these abilities are wordy but they all are easy to understand and work together well.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Color and rarity both spot-on - what could this be except for a red mythic?
(1.5/3) Balance - The graveyard mana ability and the Past in Flames are frankly terrifying, but the transform trigger involves some work and at that point, this card is only going to be an aid in comboing out/the finisher, not something that is OP without powerful stuff around it.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Damage doublers and flashback granting are nothing new, and the larger mana ability on the back face is even similar to Crypt of Agadeem, but it's recombined in a unique way.
(3/3) Flavor - As a big Mirage fan, I'm way into this.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done, if sneakily - the Mountain subtype gives you that third activated.

Total: 21.5/25
Flatline
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Mostly a Txmmy card - Spike may be interested (but doesn't wanna play five mana for Volrath's Stronghold); it's all a bit straightforward for Jxnny.
(2.5/3) Elegance - All a bit wordy.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look right.
(3/3) Balance - Nothing truly objectionable here - the resultant creature is bound to be big, not least because it could easily get effective +6/+6 from the self-mill, but big is all it is, and the land half's activated abilities are appropriately expensive.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Similar to Journey to Eternity // Atzal, Cave of Eternity in some ways, and the animated land resembles Svogthos, the Restless Tomb.
(1.5/3) Flavor - What's the animated land's creature type? Giving it one is not only standard practice, it's crucial to the flavor, since I'm defaulting here to it being an Elemental and a dead Elemental... doesn't really seem that capable of leaving behind a ghost or haunting a place.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Mana ability missing a period.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 19/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Primarily Txmmy/Spike. Jxnny sees it as kind of a blunt instrument but can't resist the wackiness of that mass-fight ability.
(3/3) Elegance - Looks alright to me - neither half is overly wordy or inelegant.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a monogreen mythic.
(2/3) Balance - The enchantment half alone here is very very very strong, and that back half... 3/3 tokens for one mana is quite powerful, but the mass fight has a wild amount of potential. Luckily, of course, it all requires heavy mana investment. I'd just be more comfy if this required three creatures to die instead of just two to transform.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - No one part of this is all that innovative, but it's a nice remix, and the mass fight is done in a new way.
(3/3) Flavor - Yeah, I can dig this.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - If "its" is supposed to be a possessive, it's just i-t-s, but if "it's" is supposed to be a contraction, it's i-t-apostrophe-s. Scalawag.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 22/25

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Sorry, I totally missed this. Going to remedy as fast as I can. That will probably imply a lower level of detail as usual. Let me post June Round 2 and then I'll start this. No ETA, but again I'll try to do as fast as I can.

Rush... ehm, I meant judgments complete. Forget any typos but I don't have the time to reread these. Very close scores and a tie for first place, that I hope will be solved by the other judges. I willingly did not read the judgments that had already been posted on time... sorry again for that.
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Burning Isles's Favor

//

It feels a little strange to judge one of my own judges for June, but here we go.

Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes doubling damage and recycling his burn spells. Johnny has the challenge to reach four spells in a turn. To Spike, that's a little too much, but the mass Snapcaster Mage is a very tempting reward.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems here.
Balance 3/3 - One thing I like a lot is how the ability on the front face feeds that on the back face. This is an auto-include in limited, as you can expect from a mythic. In limited it won't be easy to transform this. In constructed it should be much easier to get to four spells in a turn, you could play burn, UR spells, or similar archetypes. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - The front face reminds Furnace of Rath, but "fourth" is new. The back face reminds a mass Snapcaster Mage, as I've already mentioned. Also notice Backdraft Hellkite and friends.
Flavor 2.5/3 - A volcanic island that erupts. Oh, wait! A specific one, and one that we know very well... No problems here except for the lack of flavor text.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good. Mentioning again rarity on the back side wasn't needed, but it's not a mistake.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 1/2 - CMC 5 but only two activated abilities.
TOTAL 22/25
Flatline
Show
Hide
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Ensoul Land 3bg
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant land
//
Haunted Grounds
Land (R)
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes to turn his land into a huge creature. Johnny can try to maximize the power and toughness of enchanted land, or use this in an Aristocrats deck to sacrifice the enchanted creature land and immediately get to the Grounds, that's the appealing part of the cart. He can also use the activated abilities on the back face. Spike would also like to immediately get the Grounds instead of enchanting a land and jumping through hoops to get it.
Elegance 2.5/3 - The text on the front face is a bit too long.
Development
Balance 2.5/3 - The front face is very variable, and what you really want to get to is the Grounds. You just have to make enchanted creature die. Not too hard to do. I've already mentioned Aristocrats decks, assuming they're viable in Standard. I think you'd most likely play this in limited, again to have access to the Grounds. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - I thought more "Ensoul [thing]" existed, instead Gatherer only returns the scissors. The land side isn't very original, the front face feels much more original to me.
Flavor 1.5/3 - This is a Mel card with all its mechanical details carefully crafted. An enchanted land that turns into a haunted land. The transformation feels a bit weak to me. Mechanically, this card is perfect. Flavorfully, I think it could have been better. And while there is clearly no room for flavor text on the front face, maybe some on the back face?
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - In the first ability of Haunted Grounds, the mana ability, a full stop is missing at the end. (-0.5) Mentioning again rarity on the back side wasn't needed, but it's not a mistake.
TOTAL 21/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Rithaniel wrote:
3 years ago
Legendary Enchantment M
—Lou Sidia, druid

Domain of the Great Herd
Legendary Land M
—Lou Sidia, druid
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes his creatures costing less mana, and also getting something out of his creatures dying. Spike instead will try to make her opponents' green creatures die, given the lack of "you control" (I caught it this time!) She also likes the back side's abilities. I can't see anything for Johnny for do, but there might something unexpected coming from him.
Elegance 2.5/3 - The last ability on the back side might not be the easiest to understand to less experienced players.
Development
Balance 3/3 - The lack of "you control" that I've already mentioned is very relevant here too. It shouldn't be too hard to transform. The mana discount, the Beast production, and the mass fight are all thing you want in both limited and constructed. Costs look right. No problem in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Each single piece is reminiscent of existing things, but the overall package feels original enough.
Flavor 3/3 - Yes. Correct that typo on the back face and it's perfect.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - NOOO!!! You had done everything correctly until the penultimate line! Once again "its" versus "it's"... In this case "its" should have no apostrophe, as it's (see what I did there?) a possessive and not a contraction of the verb "it is". -1 for serious grammar mistake. Mentioning again rarity on the back side wasn't needed, but it's not a mistake.
TOTAL 22/25
Results
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk: 22
Rithaniel: 22
Flatline : 21
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Rithaniel 23 + 22 + 22 = 67
Sojourner Dusk 20.5 + 21.5 + 22 = 64
Flatline 21 + 19 + 22 = 62

Congrats to @Rithaniel!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”