June CCL, Signups/Round 1: The Worshiped Spirits

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL June Signups/Round 1

"The Worshiped Spirits"

Oyobi, Who Split the Heavens, taken from Gamepedia, by Christopher Moeller and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Kamigawa Month here in the CCL! The Champions of Kamigawa block performed poorly in mechanical terms, but it's considered to have one of the best Magic storylines ever. So for that reason, this month will focus more on Kamigawa's legendaries and its story elements than mechanics.

Challenge
Design a legendary Spirit creature card.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Your card doesn't have to be for a Kamigawan character.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Sunday, June 7th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (June 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due June 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (June 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due June 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (June 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due June 29th)
  • Final (July, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Saint Trast Ascended 4WU
Legendary Creature--Spirit Cleric (Mythic)
Flying, vigilance, hexproof
Whenever Saint Trast Ascended attacks, you may have target Human you control become a Spirit creature with base power 5/5, flying, vigilance, and hexproof. Untap that creature.
5/5
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Inexorable Iru 1bbb
Legendary Creature — Spirit Warrior (R)
T: If there are exactly thirteen permanents on the battlefield, each opponent loses 13 life.
Those that may cross paths with Iru shall never cross another path again.
1/3
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Clowder Noumenon
Legendary Creature — Cat Spirit (M)
Cat creatures you control have wither and lifelink.
: Exile another target Cat creature you own. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
3/5
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 3 years ago

Vestige of Gideon 1WW
Legendary Creature - Spirit Soldier(MR)
Indestructible, vigilance.
W,T: Untap another target creature you control. It gains indestructible until end of turn and Vestige of Gideon loses indestructible until end of turn.
Those who stand in the shadow of greatness are inspired to greatness themselves.
2/2

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Shirilash, Dreamspinner 3{g/u}{g/u}
Legendary Creature - Spider Spirit (R)
Reach
2{g/u}{g/u}: Look at the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, you may put it onto the battlefield with a dream counter on it. It has base power and toughness 1/1.
1{g/u}: Put the top card of your library into your graveyard. For each land card put into your graveyard this way, create a 1/1 green Spider creature token with reach.
4/5

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Kodama of the East Tree 1GG
Legendary Creature - Spirit (Rare)
Whenever a creature attacks you, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a forest card, that creature becomes blocked.
"The monks of the East Tree learned from this child-like Kami how to be playful and innocent. During the Kami War, this child's plays became malicious, driving the monks to desperation."
- Poem of the Five Trees"

2/2

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Jack, Shephard of Drowned
Legendary Creature - Spirit Pirate (M)
Spirit creatures you control have "When this creature becomes a target of spell or ability, exile it, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.".
Whenever a Pirate creature card is put into your graveyard from your library, you may pay its mana cost reduced by . This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay. If you do, put it onto the battlefield under your control. It is Spirit in addition to its other types.
1/1
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Lallia, Who Mourns the Lost 1WB
Legendary Creature — Spirit Cleric (Rare)
Lifelink
Other Spirit creatures you control have haunt. (Whenever a creature you control with haunt dies, you may exile it haunting target creature.)
Haunted creatures can't attack or block, and their activated abilities can't be activated.
"Loss brings humility to all."
2/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

About two days remaining to enter the first round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Apellosine

Post by Apellosine » 3 years ago

Benevolent Council 2WWBB
Legendary Creature - Spirit Advisor (M)
Vigilance
Will of the council - At the beginning of your upkeep, starting with you, each player votes for a nonland permanent that you don't control. Exile each permanent with the most votes or tied for the most votes. For each permanent exiled this way its controller loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

Muddlemore, Inquisitive Spirit 1GU
Legendary Creature - Spirit Rogue (R)
Hexproof, Skulk
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield, investigate.
Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, activated abilities of permanents you control cost 1 less to activate until end of turn. This effect can't reduce the mana in that cost to less than one mana.
2/2

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Zetsuen, the Final Flame 3rr
Legendary Creature - Dragon Spirit {R}
Flying
Whenever Zetsuen, the Final Flame attacks, distribute X firestorm counters among up to X target creatures or players, where X is the number of dragons and spirits you control. Then each creature or player with a firestorm counter on it deals damage to itself equal to the number of firestorm counters on it.
5/5

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Noichi, the Planar Greeter wwwww
Legendary Creature - Spirit (m)
Flying
Whenever you cast a Spirit or Arcane spell, choose a planeswalker you control. You may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn.
5/5

Mirage Xel

Post by Mirage Xel » 3 years ago

Haunt Of Halkan Hamlet
Legendary Creature - Spirit (R)
Haunt Of Halkan Hamlet's power and toughness is equal to the number of Human cards in your graveyard.
When a Human you control dies, Haunt Of Halkan Hamlet deals 1 damage to any target.
Do not go into the ruins of Halkan alone.
*/*

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

Marvala, Spiritual Trainer
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Spirit (Mythic Rare)
Flying, Shroud
Instant and sorcery spells you control cost more to cast.
: Add to your mana pool. If that mana was spent to cast an instant or sorcery spell from your hand, copy that spell twice. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/4
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Glaglos, Spirit Ever Burning RRRR
Legendary Creature - Elemental Spirit {M}
Flying
Haste
Instant and sorcery spells cost you R less.
RRR, T: Double all damage that would be dealt this turn.
4/4

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

It of Two Realities 1URW
Legendary Creature - Spirit {M}
Flying
Instant and sorcery spells you control and instant and sorcery cards in your hand and graveyard are Arcane in addition to their other types.
The first splice cost you pay each turn costs URW less. This reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay.
3/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The round is closed! Please critique, and provide a top 3 for, the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

kwanyeegor-ii
Pygyzy
Sojourner Dusk
Jimmy Groove
slimytrout
netn10
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Subject16
Apellosine
Daylit
Phyrexian Editor
Henlock
Mirage Xel
marioguy3
MonoRedMage
RaikouRider

Next round will be up shortly.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Mirage Xel: We've seen spirits caring about humans in Dearly Departed, so everything cool. Five mana looks a bit expensive comparing it to creatures that set their power and toughness counting the cards in your graveyard, and the same goes for the human-only Judith, the Scourge Diva trigger, but this is not a card that intends to be flexible. This wants to be in a mardu humans deck, packing some punch off your early trades and turning blocking your little dudes into a problem. The flavor is nice, the idea of a haunted hamlet is written in the mechanics. I would have costed this as a 1wrb as it won't get any of the Human bonuses bound to be in a Humans deck and because it is also unlikely to be much big when cast on curve.

marioguy: At first I misread this thinking it rwduced the costs of your spells. This effec balances the mana priduction and the copying, as 1 spell will.not be affected by the tax. Shroud makes it harder to interact but I guess it is meant yo keep it safe with untapping shenanigans. Still, this looks quite powerful. The tax makes this focus towards nore dtamatic effects rather than slinging out opts and such or holding counters. Some catds, like Boomerang, do get dramatically better with tjis.

monoredmage; Well, monoremage, that's a lot of red mana symbols there. First thing I have to say is that I would stay off reducing colored mana on instants and sorceries for safety reasons. I'm not saying this is busted, I'm not that sure. At 4 mana, it might be a bit unreliable for storm and burn, but that's an ability that spring the alarm. On the rest of the card, I think that this is good as an aggressive creature and dropping seven mana to double your damage seems really fair utility. I like that you can use it on your opponent's turn in commander to punish someone or to take advantage from a combat situation.

RaikouRaider: When I look at this I see an awesome splice commander. I really like this and I figure it should be a face commander for a deck introducing a couple of powerful multicolored splices. I run a splice deck in pauper and it can be quite amazing when it goes off. This catd gets limited by the ammount of splice spells available, but free Blessed Breath , psychic puppetry and Spiritual Visit on each instant or sorcery can be pretty powerful, and Evermind plus Desperate Ritual sounds like a damn good engine. And this is just off splice. The spirit/arcane triggers can also be put to very good use

kwanyegir: This is really powerful. It looks like a quite unbeatable control.finisher. The fact that it has hexproof and can result on a 10 damage hit on its first attack makes it a bit too punishing for Azorius, As a note, Geist of Saint Traft and Invocation of Saint Traft both set the token at 4/4, so that body would benefit the flavor.

Pygzy: This looks lovely. 1/3, that mana cost, the permanents and the life loss looking very good. I really like cards that kind of include a minigame.in themselves, and maybe tjis.might not be a very reliable.path to victoey, but lots of players would have fun with this should it get printed.

Soujourner Dusk: A cat lord. I'm.not entirely sure blac is the appropriate cjoice for a third color in cats, as I can't really think of many black cats outside Mirri and some of the recent ones. The blink effect can pair nicely with CIP cats like Seht's Tiger or Regal Caracal. Altjought there are not as many I can' think of but the protection can be very useful.

Lots of.good stuff

1. Raikouraider
2.Pygzy
3. Mirage Xel

HM: Monoredmage
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Reviews
Jimmy Groove: Very strong for a 3 drop, though balanced by the low toughness. Disconnect between name and flavor text.

slimytrout: Monoblue doesn't get get creatures with reach, and I don't know why you'd want to nerf your own creatures.

netn10: So if there is a Forest on top of your library, it stops all combat damage from creatures without trample? That's excessive.

Lorn Asbord Schutta: Six mana for a 1/1. Interesting concept, but WAY too fragile.

Subject16: I'd add a 'nontoken' clause to mitigate confusion, but that's a spicy WB Prison card.

Apellosine: Not seeing the benevolence here. Lots of EDH political potential.

Daylit: Skulk was not a well thought out mechanic when it was introduced. The abilities feel disconnected.

Top 3
3. Apellosine
2. Jimmy Groove
1. Subject16
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Lallia, Who Mourns the Lost
Legendary Creature — Spirit Cleric (Rare)
Lifelink
Other Spirit creatures you control have haunt. (Whenever a creature you control with haunt dies, you may exile it haunting target creature.)
Haunted creatures can't attack or block, and their activated abilities can't be activated.
"Loss brings humility to all."
2/3
Orzohv color identity, Orzhov mechanic, Orzhov keyword and... A character that cares, with name sounding as someone from Selesya. This is my biggest gripe with this card and this is a positive statement - if I rant about the name, then it means there is little to rant about the rest.
I personally consider white-black as THE Resurrection color pair, so a card that exiles the bodies would require diffrent aproach to deckbuilding, which is both a plus and minus - diversification of strategies is always fun, while I cannot be sure if there is a deck that would use Lallia.
I notice a change to Haunt rules, probably to allow reanimator still be present in deck and I am not sure how is this fix with - nomen omen - spirit of the challange. The fun part is that it does not change older cards, because even if I left Belfry Spirit in graveyard after Lallia trigger, it own trigger would still forcibly exile him - as long as there is a legal target to haunt, of course.
It does not trigger haunt for tokens, as Haunt cards must be exiled from graveyard and tokens ceases to exist before the trigger goes on stack.
Repeated Arrest, but requiring controlling of Lallia and additional resources in form of spirits is fun design, in flavour for the card, even if it feels in practice more like Quarantine Field that you build over time.
Apellosine
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Benevolent Council
Legendary Creature - Spirit Advisor (M)
Vigilance
Will of the council - At the beginning of your upkeep, starting with you, each player votes for a nonland permanent that you don't control. Exile each permanent with the most votes or tied for the most votes. For each permanent exiled this way its controller loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
I guess hexproof hate is now part of guild with the best removal suite amongst the guilds. Somewhat fittingly, yet I cannot shake the feeling that it should not. Anyway, it nullifies or sorts of protection - forget about hexproof, shroud, protection form, indestructible, everything that ever threaten you will be gone. And you have draining for free!
Of course, this is absolutely diffrent in multiplayer, EDH setting, where - let be honest with ourselves - is the only place that would ever care for most of those spirits, due to them being legendary. But still, the power it has to deal with protected permanents, like instant-lose from Lich's Mastery, Zur the Enchanter after petitioning and aquiring Diplomatic Immunity or dealing with almost built Helix Pinnacle is amazing. This is repeated Council's Judgment. The cost is upped by , but I am still worried about powerlevel.
In terms of flavour, there is hardly any benevolence here, but otherwise it is fine.
Yet, in spite of whether I find this card right, intresting or flavourful - or maybe not - I cannot give it any points, as this is a creature without power and toughness. I am sorry, but especially the toughness is important here.
Daylit
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Muddlemore, Inquisitive Spirit
Legendary Creature - Spirit Rogue (R)
Hexproof, Skulk
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield, investigate.
Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, activated abilities of permanents you control cost less to activate until end of turn. This effect can't reduce the mana in that cost to less than one mana.
2/2
Ah, "fixed", legendary Invisible Stalker. The quotation is not a sign of irony, it just an acknowledgment that this creature feels heavily inspired by the infamous blue beater.
Skulk is a good call here, because it wouldn't benefit from auras and equipment as much as its predecessor, although part of me wishes that it would be - rightfully disliked in general - "can be blocked only by creatures with flying and reach". The reason for this is adding green to this card, which do not have skulk in its suite.
The green here vexes me to no end, truth to be told. Innistrad spirits are mostly blue (29) or white (21), with green being third with only 9, three of them being wolf spirits. The multicolored ones are only azorius. Investigate has 6 white cards, 10 blue cards and 7 green cards, with one off-color green activation in blue card. I know that Tireless Tracker was a blast and starplayer, but the mechanic in itself is almost as white as green, with blue having lead. And then we have the last ability, which cares about activated abilities, decreasing their cost. If it would be only creatures, as in Biomancer's Familiar, then I could see green here. But it goes to any permanent, including hated by green artifacts. Reducing the cost of activated abilities is seldom used part of color pie, and even then probably blue or even maybe an artifact. As of late it seems that boros is trying to take this slot and I would say that giving this white would be more reasonable then green. Futhermore, I understand that the last ability is a spin on Curiosity effects, that is intended to ease sacrificing clues for cards, so why not make this bant? Dropping the generic cost for would not be a bad decision here.
Also, infinite mana with Basalt Monolith. Add Helix Pinnacle to mix and you can have turn four instant win without any additional ramp. With just Llanowar Elves it goes into turn three win.
I am not sold on this. I like the idea - I picture him as a silent poltergeist acting like a Charlie Chaplin, rummaging through crime scene, uncovering important details almost by accident - but balace-wise and color pie-wise it could get some improvement.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Zetsuen, the Final Flame
Legendary Creature - Dragon Spirit {R}
Flying
Whenever Zetsuen, the Final Flame attacks, distribute X firestorm counters among up to X target creatures or players, where X is the number of dragons and spirits you control. Then each creature or player with a firestorm counter on it deals damage to itself equal to the number of firestorm counters on it.
5/5
Good think that it does not have haste. This is great decision and I cannot parse the praise for it enough.
If Zetsuen is the only creature you control at the time of attacking, you would put only one firestorm counter, as the ruling for Aysen Crusader shows. I think it is reasonable to expect one or two additional creatures of relevant types - probaly spirits, as dragons compete for the place on curve - so it is Arc Lightning or Forked Bolt at the attack. Even if Zatsuen is the only card it would still deal at least one damage to creture or player. And it grows over time.
Due to reliance on attacking to deal damage, I would compare this mostly to Drakuseth, Maw of Flames. I think it might stronger than Drakuseth, which is a fine card. This comes two land drops earlier, is less color intensive and while the amount of damage is less reliable, it can stack ovet turns. With spirits being mostly white-blue, this card would be played in boros or izzet, where protecting it is quite possible. It has intresting downside of targets damaging themselves, as this makes cards such as Basilisk Collar or Tainted Strike not being able to enhance Zetsuen ability. Additionally, I am not sure if this is intended, but it cannot deal damage to planeswalkers, as the "damage-to-planeswalker-redirection" rule was dropped some time ago. Zetsuen would feel a little pushed - espescially in environment with spirit tribal - but it would not be broken.
I find the name very pleasant, as the "Final Flame" might refer to dying in fire (firestorm counters) and the fact, that it is a spirit caring about spirits (final as in afterlife).
Henlock
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Noichi, the Planar Greeter
Legendary Creature - Spirit (m)
Flying
Whenever you cast a Spirit or Arcane spell, choose a planeswalker you control. You may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn.
5/5
There is no creature with that devotion to white - or any type of card for that matter. The closest ones are Dawn Elemental and Once More with Feeling. So that is a little bit of trivia.
The five white symbols makes this card almost mono-white (unless somehow it would end up in reanimator or in deck with strong fixing, like Prismatic Omen). There are fifteen white arcane cards and it is very likely that it would be all of them. Thankfully, number of white spirits is much more reasonable (118). And finally, there are 26 white planeswalkers at the moment.
It doesn't seem that much breakable at first glance. White spirits have CMC of mostly 3, with 2 and 4 just little behind. White arcanes are closer to CMC 1 or 2, so with those two types together it would be reasonable to expect two triggers per turn... But with white's lack of draw it might boil down to only one. And there is necessity to have planeswalkers on table.
That said, white planeswalkers are not that busted with more activations (Elspeth Tirel, Elspeth, Sun's Champion and in some cases Gideon, Champion of Justice and Ajani, Strength of the Pride being the only four with potential to make sudden swing, with the first three anti-synergistic to Noichi), but they are certainly giving you more increamental gain, as they should.
At the end of a day, it is fine card. Not too strong, but I wouldn't say it is underwhelming - it should be compared to The Chain Veil. It is a 5/5 flyer, so it can beat face on its own, but at the same time it is more vulnerable then artifact. It almost locks you in mono-W and it "refreshes" only one walker per activation, but it is easier to get the one walker more then twice then it is with chain veil.
As to flavour - everything is all right, although kamigawa kamis might be wary of planeswalkers if Nicol Bolas have indeed went there on rampage after Time Spiral block.
Mirage Xel
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Haunt Of Halkan Hamlet
Legendary Creature - Spirit (R)
Haunt Of Halkan Hamlet's power and toughness is equal to the number of Human cards in your graveyard.
When a Human you control dies, Haunt Of Halkan Hamlet deals 1 damage to any target.
Do not go into the ruins of Halkan alone.
*/*
I like this one on flavour level. A vengeful ghost, which is in fact an amalgam of all those who died in Halkan before. Whenever another soul is added to his ghastly mass, he manifests his anger, attacking someone. However, even without this interpretation, flavour text feels off.
In terms of actual mechanics, it is underwhelming. Krovikan Mist and similiar creatures always have at least itself to count. Haunt cares about diffrent tribe and only in graveyard. The color combination, while allowing go-wide human strategies and aristocrats, will have a problem with fast filling of graveyard. Futhermore, it has almost no ways of protecting its graveyard from hate, so simple Remorseful Cleric would make a quick way of Haunt. And I am not sure if this is intended, but the Haunt does gain +1/+1 from instants and sorceries cards with changeling like Crib Swap.
The thing to look on this card is the second ability, as between being unreliable in pure stats and having no evasion, Haunt does not work well as beatdown. Maybe if it would have haste, then after Wrath of God you might play it on open board with increased graveyard, but it is as it is. The triggerd ability is similiar to Judith, the Scourge Diva, but there is an important detail - you impose the need of human type for hitting on tokens in return. I, for one, would gladly increase the value of Finale of Glory in this way. There are plentiful human token generators with most of them in white, so there will not be a lack of synergy.
All in all, it is a fine card, but with strong ability and luckluster ability at the same time and sadly the luckluster one must be met for the other to function. I understand, that allowing it to live on its own and have the second ability worded as such would be pushed, but I would be glad to have the fragility a little more maneagable.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Marvala, Spiritual Trainer
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Spirit (Mythic Rare)
Flying, Shroud
Instant and sorcery spells you control cost more to cast.
: Add to your mana pool. If that mana was spent to cast an instant or sorcery spell from your hand, copy that spell twice. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/4
A strange beast. Shroud is obsoleted - there might be debate if this decision is right, but it is not time nor place for it - and I am not convinced that the Marvala's contoller would ever target her. It is hardly a beater and even if used as such, blue suit of combat tricks targetting its own creatures is mostly focused on granting evasion, which is already here. Illusionist's Bracers cannot double the mana ability, untargetability means that Lightning Greaves are unneeded, so among the equipment only Helm of the Host might be tempting. Many clones are ignoring targetting and there are not enough useful auras in blue deck for flying and hexproof/shroud creature. I guess this stops Rescue after opponents boardwipe, but otherwise it could be hexproof instead of shroud.
It pays for its own drawback, but only on one spell, unless you untap it. So this is why it is shroud instead of hexproof, but sadly both Dramatic Reversal and Intruder Alarm with cards like Raise the Alarm or Dragon Fodder play around it rather spectaculary. In fact, Dramatic Reversal with added mana from Marvala, resolve the first copy, then Opt with added mana from Marvala, resolve all three, resolve the second copy of Dramatic Reversal, cast another Opt, resolve all three, resolve the last Dramatic Reversal and have still Marvala untapped. If you hit in those six cards you drew any land, you can still play some one mana instant or sorceries. Have another permanent that tap for value and you have one big combo.
Maybe such a combo is not that oppresive, probably even fun, but I think it should have it numbers tweaked. With this card, you do not want to play classic spellslinger, but more high end instant or sorceries - next turn, instead of aforementioned combo, controller of Marvala would probably just play some variant of Inspiration or Foresee to cash a ton of value. Turning it into "cost more to cast" would delay the double copying at least a turn or scale it back to more meneagable Divination variants. Or maybe instead of raising the cost higher, makes it copy the spell only once?
I also want to point out the interesting effect of combining it with converge, but that is niche application.
top 3
Show
Hide
1 Subject16 - Lallia, Who Mourns the Lost
2 Phyrexian Editor - Zetsuen, the Final Flame
3 Henlock - Noichi, the Planar Greeter
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 12 times in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
The way it's written, this is (almost) strictly better than "Whenever one or more creatures attack you, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Forest, those creatures become blocked," which is already quite strong, since it allows you to make whatever advantageous blocks you want and then Fog the rest (unless they have trample). Seems like it would be more fun if it reset the top card for each creature.
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
6 mana for a 1/1 with not-quite-hexproof? Pretty bad deal, and there are just so many better spirit lords that I'm not sure why anyone would play this. Pirate effect is interesting but not very elegantly worded.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Basically turns each of your spirits into an Arrest after they die, and uses haunt to do so. Fun idea! Only note is that it should probably be nontoken Spirits to avoid confusion.
Apellosine
Show
Hide
Fun idea, but no p/t means it's very hard to evaluate. Probably would have made it into my T3 otherwise, even though it would also need a different name in order to be legendary.
Daylit
Show
Hide
Cool! Make a clue and then makes it cheaper to crack it. Other than one small templating mistake (the first "whenever" should be a "when"), I have no notes.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Fun idea, but some substantial problems: 1) "Dragons and Spirits" is a bit ambiguous, especially since this is itself a Dragon Spirit -- does it count for two or just one? And/or would be clearer. 2) Why are the creatures dealing damage to themselves? Would be kinda weird with lifelink and deathtouch, and is also confusing because these effects usually only have creatures deal damage equal to their power. 3) Why on earth are players dealing damage to themselves? Super weird. Should just be "Zetsuen deals damage to each creature and player..."
Henlock
Show
Hide
Only castable in a mono-white deck, which very much limits the shenanigans you can get up to with it. In fact, none of the existing mono-W walkers would go terribly well in a spirit and arcane deck, since 90% of them are Ajani, Gideon, or Elspeth, who mostly just make tokens, gain life, buff creatures, and beat down. It's a cool idea, and an interesting way to give card advantage in white, but I feel like the execution isn't quite there.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Daylit
2. Subject16
3. Henlock

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

MonoRedMage: Other than some formatting errors regarding a lack of information regarding who and/or what's damage is doubled, this card looks fun. I like double damage, and the 4 mana in the cost and mythic rarity sort of balance the card. I feel that it's toughness should be lowered one notch especially as a red card with no drawbacks. The spells costing less part is too much. But the ability and the flying/haste combo is plenty enough to have this card see some play. Solid design.

RaikouRider: There is a bit of complexity to the card, which is okay for a mythic rare, but still requires multiple readings to fully grasp the power of the card. Reducing colored costs of splice costs is unique, so bonus points for that. 3/4 with flying for four Jeskai mana is perfectly fair. Another pretty solid design in my book.

kwanyeegor-ii: Pretty powered creature with multiple abilities. Definitely worth the mythic rare status for stature and ability. Appropriate mana cost, but I might have lowered the power/toughness of each creature by one, making them 4/4's instead.

Pygyzy: A rather fun and unique card that might be able to activate once per game. I would have given it one more static, french vanilla ability so that it can do combat a little, I think.

Sojourner Dusk: Perfectly balanced this time around, each of the cards I have seen so far seem to be playable and powerful in their own ways, and this one is no exception. I like the addition of the cat creature type extension. I do think this could have been regular rare rather than mythic rare, but that is a small complaint.

Jimmy Groove: Another card that probably could be printed at regular rare. It makes for a quite fun combat challenge card and removing indestructible is sort of a necessity for the flexibility.

slimytrout: Wizards could print another spider legendary creature. It's odd that you put a dream counter on the creature, especially because having a dream counter on it won't stop it from still being a 1/1 even if removed. Maybe it's a memory thing. I don't know why the formatting "for each land put into your graveyard this way" is there if you only get one card per activation. Reach is a good and flavorful thing for the creature, which is good.

Top 3 is tough for this round.

3rd place: Jimmy Groove
2nd place: RaikouRider
1st place: MonoRedMage
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
Pygyzy: Really swingy. Either its terrible or it autowins you the game based on a kinda arbitrary thing. Wish the ability had a mana requirement and the base card had better stats and more abilities. Also, why a Warrior

Sojourner Dusk: Cool tribal card. Weird sounding name but all good abilities. Like the hybrid in the cost, makes it easier to cast but adds more colors for commander. Just afraid it would be used only for blinking and not the combat abilities

Jimmy Groove: Temporarily transfers its own abilities. Pretty nice concept. 3CMC might be too cheap for indestructible 2/2 vigilance thou... hard to deal with in Standard or Limited lol

slimytrout: Really cool. Both abilities look super fun... only 2 complaints. 1, reach is not blue, although it's more limited flying so maybe that's OK. 2, the spider tokens are usually 1/2 lmao.

netn10: I love this flavor so much. The ability is also great. Reminds moe of Lost in the Woods. Just wish that the card went on the bottom of your library or something so it is not all or nothing autoblock or not.

Lorn Asbord Schutta: Super creative card. Love it being a double tribal lord that brings dead pirates as ghosts... great flavor. However at six mana it seems too expensive.

Subject16: Interesting lord ability but its pretty much a targeted Grave Pact right? I think this is too strong, might make spirits just too good.
T3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 lorn asbord schutta
3 netn10

HM to Sojourner Dusk
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”