June CCL, Signups/Round 1: The Worshiped Spirits

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

I'm here y'all it's been a crazy weekend. Gimme a minute I'll have these up

Sojourner Dusk — Thats a mean kitty. Blink can gain immense value if left unchecked, but with no evasion besides wither and little immediate board impact besides the keyword buffs it's not the type of card I'm drawn to.
Jimmy Groove — Love the idea, but feels too much like Taranika, Akroan Veteran.
slimytrout — Big fan of Rashmi, Eternities Crafter and playing things off the top, this feels like that. Am I right that the card sets the creature to 1/1 and the token is a reminder? I assume something interacts with dream counters just feels a bit off. The second ability is just cake. Nice one.
netn10 — The kodamas I felt we're one of the biggest whiffs of the Kamigawa but this sure fixes that. I like messing with the top and this is a fun one. Put this in lands.dec and go to town.
Lorn Asbord Schutta — I love everything about this my only issue is balance. 6 for a 1/1 that only dies to mass kill and mass -x/-x could be frustrating to play against. Getting your pirates for cheap too? I can do some real mean things with this card. Hard to evaluate because if your opponent has an answer its fragile and doesn't gain any value. But left unchecked it would do crazy things. Reminds me of Sedris, the Traitor King a bit. I would feel more comfortable if it was bigger and the Uber-Hexproof was reworked a bit.
subject16 —I can have Pillory of the Sleepless as my commander? Cool
Apellosine — missing p/t I'm gonna assume 4/4 cuz it feels like Ghost Council of Orzhova. I like voting and this card generates value but can lead to grindy and unfun game states. And I used to play Stax lol. I love Ghost council when it's on my side but I hate seeing it on my opponent's.

T3
1. Slimytrout. This goes right into my Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath deck
2. netn10. Kodamas needed a reboot. This is competitive and flavorful.
3. Lorn Asbord Schutta. This card has all the right components but the blink ability raises some power level concerns and I'd rather see this bigger and slightly more answerable than have its p/t lowered to balance it. I used to play Sedris, the Traitor King usually 3-4 times a game because he's a threat people answer right away and that was fine. Uninteractivity isn't something I like in my games. The second ability redeemed you though because that's what I wanna abuse. Subject16 almost knocked you out because I love pillory of the sleepless, but I love self-mill and pirates more.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

kwanyeegor-ii: This is very cool, and reminds me of the original. Human tribal kinda makes sense too. But I feel like this is too powerful even at 6 mana.

Pygyzy: This is a cool minigame. Reminds me of Heartless Hidetsugu.

Sojourner Dusk: This card's pretty strong, but cats are kind of an ignored tribe. I think this would be fun as long as cats in standard had good etbs.

Jimmy Groove: Nice. A great bundle of abilities. A smaller version of Gideon is interesting, and being that I guess this is just a ghostly version it makes sense.

slimytrout: Wacky card, but seems like a lot of fun. Maybe it would tend to make too many creatures though?

netn10: Definitely feels like a Kamigawa spirit. I like this quite a bit.

RaikouRider: Whoa, this is crazy. Not sure why it's white, but... looks like it'd enable so many new combos.

Top 3
1. Sojourner Dusk
2. RaikouRider
3. Pygyzy

Phyrexian Editor
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Many of these aren't very Kamigawa-ey, but I'm not sure whether we're supposed to judge on that.
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Noichi, the Planar Greeter wwwww
Legendary Creature - Spirit (m)
Flying
Whenever you cast a Spirit or Arcane spell, choose a planeswalker you control. You may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn.
5/5
I like the idea here, but does this do nothing when you cast an Arcane instant on an opponent's turn?
Mirage Xel wrote:
3 years ago
Haunt Of Halkan Hamlet
Legendary Creature - Spirit (R)
Haunt Of Halkan Hamlet's power and toughness is equal to the number of Human cards in your graveyard.
When a Human you control dies, Haunt Of Halkan Hamlet deals 1 damage to any target.
Do not go into the ruins of Halkan alone.
*/*
Not docking points, but "when" here should be "whenever." I don't like cards that are 0/0s on casting most of the time, and I think this is probably overcosted. I would make the damage ability optional to prevent feel-bad situations.
marioguy3 wrote:
3 years ago
Marvala, Spiritual Trainer
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Spirit (Mythic Rare)
Flying, Shroud
Instant and sorcery spells you control cost more to cast.
: Add to your mana pool. If that mana was spent to cast an instant or sorcery spell from your hand, copy that spell twice. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/4
Cool ability. But shroud makes this a table-flipper to play against. Templating nitpicks: I think this should be "that you cast cost" since they aren't "spells you control" while they're in your hand. And the last "copy" should be "copies."
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Glaglos, Spirit Ever Burning RRRR
Legendary Creature - Elemental Spirit {M}
Flying
Haste
Instant and sorcery spells cost you R less.
RRR, T: Double all damage that would be dealt this turn.
4/4
You need a "cannot reduce to less than" clause a la Zirda, the Dawnwaker to keep this from breaking things.
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
It of Two Realities 1URW
Legendary Creature - Spirit {M}
Flying
Instant and sorcery spells you control and instant and sorcery cards in your hand and graveyard are Arcane in addition to their other types.
The first splice cost you pay each turn costs URW less. This reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay.
3/4
Nice that it helps you splice onto flashback etc. I like this.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Saint Trast Ascended 4WU
Legendary Creature--Spirit Cleric (Mythic)
Flying, vigilance, hexproof
Whenever Saint Trast Ascended attacks, you may have target Human you control become a Spirit creature with base power 5/5, flying, vigilance, and hexproof. Untap that creature.
5/5
Fun remake of a cool card. I would lower its P/T a bit because hexproof really makes this an unfair beast.
Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
Inexorable Iru 1bbb
Legendary Creature — Spirit Warrior (R)
T: If there are exactly thirteen permanents on the battlefield, each opponent loses 13 life.
Those that may cross paths with Iru shall never cross another path again.
1/3
Love how this calls back to Innistrad but also works well with Heartless Hidetsugu. P/T can probably come up a bit.
top 3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. Pygyzy
3. kwanyeegor-ii

RaikouRider
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

T3:

1) Lorn Asbord Schutta
2) Jimmy Groove