June MCC Round 1 - Ambiguity

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

MCC-202006.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the cards, left to right, Go for Blood by Chris Rallis, Tentative Connection by Kieran Yanner, and Fight as One by Bryan Sola.)

June MCC Round 1

Ambiguity

Welcome to Ikoria. You're a bonder this month. You'll understand what this means later in the month.
I've got no real intro paragraph this time because you know, sometimes real life calls... So let's hope they don't destroy companion on Monday because I need it for this month, as all the other mechanics from the set, and let's go directly to the challenges. What's a counter? Ikoria shows us. Oh, wait! This is an intro paragraph! Leo, you did it! For once, you've done something right!

Main Challenge - Design a card that uses keyword counters in any way. Your card can't use any other mechanics from Ikoria (mutate, companion, cycling).

Subchallenge 1 - Your card is uncommon.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card has a monocolored color identity.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge
• "any way" literally means "any way". Everything is allowed as long as keyword counters from Ikoria's main set or Commander decks are involved.
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
bravelion83, I know your clarifications said "in any way," but I just wanted to make sure that it was kosher to use keyword counters that didn't exist yet, as in my current submission.
My intention was to only use things from Ikoria. You can't use keyword counters that aren't in Ikoria's main set or Commander decks. I'm sorry, but otherwise this would go against everything that will follow this month. Adding this to the clarifications.
• Again, your card can't use any other mechanics from Ikoria (mutate, companion, cycling).
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
Ryder wrote:
3 years ago
Hey bravelion83 is it your intention to have our cards be Ikoria-flavored? Would it hurt if I made a card using the Ikoria mechanic but for a completely different setting?
No. Ikoria mechanics, not necessarily flavor. Feel free to set your card on a different plane, as long as it uses keyword counters that can be found in the Ikoria main set or Commander decks.
• Another one from the discussion thread:
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
If my card interacts with keyword counters but doesn't specifically reference them, does that qualify for the challenge?
No, otherwise everything would pass. Moving or removing any or all counters, or whatever else you come up with. You can do whatever you want with them, but you must specifically call them out.
Subchallenge 1

• Your card is uncommon. Specifically uncommon. Commons, regular rares, and mythic rares all don't pass the subchallenge.

Subchallenge 2

• It's color identity, so rules text is checked too, not only the mana cost.

• It has to be exactly monocolored, and colorless is not monocolored. You have to use one and exactly one color, and zero is not one. So no, a colorless card doesn't pass subchallenge 2.

If you have more questions, just ask in the discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, June 6th 2020, 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Wednesday, June 10th 2020, 23:59 EDT

New judging deadline: Friday, June 12th 2020, 23:59 EDT

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
Sojourner Dusk
void_nothing

PLAYERS

Everyone can enter this round. Just reply to this thread posting a card that meets the Main Challenge and any number (that includes zero) of Subchallenges. Future rounds will only be open to those who advance. Come join us!

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link here and in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

BRACKETS

Judge: Sojourner Dusk
kwanyeegor-ii
Subject16
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Ryder
marioguy3

Judge: bravelion83
Kypster
MonoRedMage
Mirage Xel
Henlock
Pygyzy
Freyleyes

Judge: void_nothing
Phyrexian Editor
Jimmy Groove
netn10
RaikouRider
slimytrout

Top 4 from each bracket advance to Round 2.
Last edited by bravelion83 3 years ago, edited 15 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Vurstodon 3RR
Creature--Dinosaur (Uncommon)
Haste
Whenever Vurstodon attacks, choose a kind of counter from among first strike, trample, menace, or +1/+1. Put a counter of that kind on Vurstodon.
Some dinosaurs tire of a fight quickly. But the longer a vurstodon fights, the fiercer it does.
2/2
Last edited by kwanyeegor-ii 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Overcome All Odds 3W
Instant {U}
Choose one:
  • Put a double strike counter on target creature.
  • Put an indestructible counter on target creature.
Entwine 2W (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Drill Sergeant
Creature - Human Soldier (U)
First Strike
When Drill Sergeant enters the battlefield, create a white Aura enchantment token named Drill attached to another target creature you control. The token has enchant creature and "This creature loses all abilities.". Then put a double strike counter on that creature.
"Train!"
2/2
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Simic Transfuser 3UU
Creature - Human Mutant (Uncommon)
Graft (Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may move a counter from this creature onto it.)
Simic Transfuser enters the battlefield with a flying, hexproof and a +1/+1 counters on it.
2/2

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Skysail Patrol 1WW
Creature - Human Soldier (U)
Skysail Patrol enters the battlefield with your choice of up to X different counters on it from among flying, first strike, vigilance, and lifelink, where X is the number of other Humans you control.
"Why bond with a horrifying monster when I have my comrades?"
3/3

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Crysalid 2g
Creature — Egg (U)
Whenever you put a reach, vigilance, or trample counter on another non-Egg creature you control, put a counter of that kind on Crysalid.
3g, Remove three counters from Crysalid: Create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.
"Some say the crystals can come alive. I've never seen it." — Eligh Loth, Zagoth bandit, last words
0/4
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 3 years ago

Screammonger 2R
Creature - Human Berserker (U)
Screammonger enters the battlefield with 2 first strike counters and two haste counters on it.
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may move a counter from Screammonger onto another creature you control.
She starts the fight as a soloist and by battle's end she is leading a choir.
2/1

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 3 years ago

Decadent Neonate B
Creature — Vampire (U)
Lifelink
Whenever Decadent Neonate deals combat damage to a player, put a lifelink counter on a creature that player controls without a lifelink counter on it.
One abandoned newspawn is never the end of it.
2/2
Last edited by Ryder 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Parasantula 1GG
Creature — Spider (Uncommon)
Reach
Whenever Parasantula deals combat damage to a creature, put a reach counter on that creature.
Whenever Parasantula or another nontoken creature with reach dies, create a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach.
It lays its eggs in whatever prey it doesn't eat, promising its young a fresh meal when they hatch.
1/4

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Power of the Crystalline Giant R
Instant {U}
Choose a kind of counter at random that target creature doesn't have on it from among flying, first strike, deathtouch, hexproof, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, vigilance, or +1/+1. Put a counter of that kind on that creature. Power of the Crystalline Giant deals 1 damage to all opponents.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Updraft Spout gw
Instant (u)
Choose one -
· Put a +1/+1 counter and a flying counter on target creature.
· Destroy target creature with flying.
Entwine 2 (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)

Mirage Xel

Post by Mirage Xel » 3 years ago

Spellweb Safeguard
Creature - Spider (U)
Reach, hexproof, flash
When Spellweb Safeguard enters the battlefield, put a hexproof counter on target creature.
"I know the spider looks scary and monstrous, but it's your best bet here."
- Kelann, sole survivor of 17th Coppercoat division

1/2

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

Versatile Being
Artifact Creature - Shapeshifter (Uncommon)
When Versatile Being enters the battlefield, choose one:
• You draw a card, then discard a card. Put a first strike counter on Versatile Being.
• Each opponent sacrifices an artifact. Put a haste counter on Versatile Being.
At the engineering convention, flexibility won over sheer power.
3/3
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Kypster

Post by Kypster » 3 years ago

Keen Mockingbird 1WU
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
When you cast this spell, you may choose a first strike, vigilance, or +1/+1 counter on target creature. If you do, Keen Mockingbird enters the battlefield with a counter of that type on it.
The Azorius selected a breed that trained itself and also reported back.
2/3

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Whiplash Strike r
Instant {U}
Put a first strike counter on target creature. It gains deathtouch until end of turn if it's black.
The snake owes its kills as much to the element of surprise as to its venom.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 3 years ago

Rotting Ghoul 1B
Creature - Zombie {U}
Deathtouch
At the begging of your upkeep, if Rotting Ghoul is in your graveyard, you may put a deathtouch counter on target creature you control. If you do, exile Rotting Ghoul.
Just grab a piece, run with it, and poke 'em. That should do the trick.
2/1

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Ok, with 16 entries, the round is officially closed. Brackets below and in the OP as usual.

BRACKETS

Judge: Sojourner Dusk
kwanyeegor-ii
Subject16
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Ryder
marioguy3

Judge: bravelion83
Kypster
MonoRedMage
Mirage Xel
Henlock
Pygyzy
Freyleyes

Judge: void_nothing
Phyrexian Editor
Jimmy Groove
netn10
RaikouRider
slimytrout

Top 4 from each bracket advance to Round 2.

Judgments complete
Kypster
Show
Hide
Kypster wrote:
3 years ago
Keen Mockingbird 1WU
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
When you cast this spell, you may choose a first strike, vigilance, or +1/+1 counter on target creature. If you do, Keen Mockingbird enters the battlefield with a counter of that type on it.
The Azorius selected a breed that trained itself and also reported back.
2/3
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - If I've understood correctly how this works (see Quality), Timmy will certainly like it. An efficient flyer for Spike. I can't see anything for Johnny to do with this.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems here.
Balance 3/3 - Fix the Quality issues and this is perfect in limited. The stats are pushed enough that I can also see this getting some play in Standard. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - If this worked as intended, it would feel much more original. As is, it feels like a card that the editors still have to see and work on.
Flavor 3/3 - Perfect. I've got nothing else to say here.
Polish
Quality 0.5/3 - "Three things, all in the activated ability. The first is that "when" making this a triggered ability, which is too late to have the creature "enter the battlefield" with a counter. When the ability triggers, the creature is already on the battlefield, so it can't enter with counters. To do that, "that" should be "as", and the ability not a triggered one but a replacement effect, which "as" is. (Very serious and functional mistake, -1) For the same reason, if this is meant to be a replacement effect with "as", as it should, then there are targeting problems. A replacement effect can't target. Essentially, you can't have "target creature" and "this enters the battlefield with a counter" at the same time if this is a replacement effect with "as" instead of "when" (other functional mistake, the targeting problems, so -1 here too). Third, you can't choose "a (...) counter on target creature". This is a minor thing compared to the previous ones, so -0.5. A wording that could solve all these issues? I'm glad you asked:
As you cast this spell, you may choose first strike, vigilance, or +1/+1. If a creature you control has that kind of counter, Keen Mockingbird enters the battlefield with a counter of that kind.
Voilà! Correct and functional. This is what the triggered ability should have been, aka not a triggered ability, aka a static ability that generates a replacement effect (how you'd say technically)."
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Uncommon but not with a monocolored color identity.
TOTAL 20/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Power of the Crystalline Giant R
Instant {U}
Choose a kind of counter at random that target creature doesn't have on it from among flying, first strike, deathtouch, hexproof, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, vigilance, or +1/+1. Put a counter of that kind on that creature. Power of the Crystalline Giant deals 1 damage to all opponents.
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Spike just hates this, she wants to be the one in control, not chance, or, in other cases, her opponents. She's more interested in the damage part, but there again she'd like this to either be "any target" or more damage. She expects at least a Shock for R. I don't see much for Johnny either. Timmy is the most likely to like this card, especially the thrill of randomness.
Elegance 2.5/3 - If you know Crystalline Giant, you will immediately understand this. If you don't, you might have more trouble.
Development
Viability 2/3 - "Ok, we share one thing. The love for monored decks, and I guess mechanics too. I like playing burn decks, and I guess you do too. I have a Burn deck I play in Modern. Ok, full disclosure: that deck is Naya, splashing G for Wild Nacatl and W for Boros Charm, but the rest is entirely red. And you always treat the Charm as a 2-mana 4-damage spell, essentially ignoring the other modes. All this to say that I like and understand red magic. Unfortunately, as Maro sometimes reminds us, making a choice random doesn't automatically make it red. Let's go through the keywords one by one and see which of those can be red, because this is a monored card, to nobody's surprise :)
Flying - except for Dragons and the occasional Phoenix, not really a red thing.
First strike - ok, this is red.
Deathtouch - No way this is red. Black and green, not red.
Hexproof - The same, not red. Green and blue.
Lifelink - Yet another one. Not red. White and black.
Menace - Ok, red.
Reach - it's a recent addition, but now it's red.
Trample - No problem. Secondary in red, but still red.
Vigilance - Not red. Green and white.
+1/+1 - Every color can do this, included red.
Ignoring +1/+1 counters, four red keywords, or five if you count flying. Five non-red keywords, or six if you consider flying here. More nonred than red. This card can't be monored, I'm sorry. Actually, it raises an interesting problem: what's the minimum amount of colors that you need to cover all the keywords on Crystalline Giant? I don't know the answer. What the choice being random does is making this acceptable at uncommon. No problems with the rules."
Balance 1/3 - A one-shot Crystalline Giant can probably cost two mana less, especially if the one remaining mana is colored. I see this as a late pick in draft, and playable as 23rd card in sealed. I see no realistic way this would see constructed play, not even in Standard. No problems in casual or multiplayer. "Each opponent" is obviously interesting in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - Zero is reserved for functional or straight up reprints, which this is not, but Crystalline Giant is copied practically word by word. I guess you knew this card would have scored low here.
Flavor 2/3 - An easy fit given the Existence of Crystalline Giant. Maybe too easy. A couple lines of flavor text could fit according to MSE, but the card does look better without it in the M15 frame.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 16.5/25
Mirage Xel
Show
Hide
Mirage Xel wrote:
3 years ago
Spellweb Safeguard
Creature - Spider (U)
Reach, hexproof, flash
When Spellweb Safeguard enters the battlefield, put a hexproof counter on target creature.
"I know the spider looks scary and monstrous, but it's your best bet here."
- Kelann, sole survivor of 17th Coppercoat division

1/2
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Not big, but a lot of keywords for Timmy. Maybe Johnny can do something with the counters. Spike really likes this as an answer to removal spells.
Development
Viability 2/3 - A green keyword (reach), two GU keywords (hexproof and flash), and a trigger that feels more blue than green. Good. We all know that you must be careful with hexproof, and here we have a creature with hexproof that also gives another creature hexproof permanently. It sounds more rare than uncommon to me, also keeping into account the mix of keywords. No problems with the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - Playable everywhere as answer to removal. Limited, constructed, you name it. Both casual and multiplayer. I think it might be a little bit too strong. Hexproof is notoriously an ability you have to be careful with. It's like playing with fire.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - According to Gatherer, no cards with those three keywords together exist yet. That surprised me, but it's so. The triggered ability isn't new, it would just be hexproof instead of a hexproof counter in any other set, but that's fine.
Flavor 2.5/3 - The name is admittedly not the best but it does fit what the card does and where it's set on, the plane of Ikoria. The flavor text is very good and almost printable as is. Just remove that space and fix the dash... (see Quality).
Polish
Quality 1/3 - The name should be bolded (very known thing, -1). There should be no space between what should be an em dash (—) instead of a hyphen (-, -0.5), and the attribution of the flavor text (-0.5).
TOTAL 18.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Updraft Spout gw
Instant (u)
Choose one -
· Put a +1/+1 counter and a flying counter on target creature.
· Destroy target creature with flying.
Entwine 2 (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Spike is the one who likes this card the most, and she loves that. Two useful modes with the chance of turning this into removal by entwining it? Sign her up! Maybe Johnny can use the counters here too somehow. Not much for Timmy here. if he plays this card he will almost always use the first mode.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - No problems with the color pie (first mode white, second mode green), rarity, or the rules. The only problem is that Maro told us they don't like to print cards where technically the single pieces meet the color pie but the overall effect (a 4-mana Murder if entwined, so monoblack) does not.
Balance 3/3 - Playable in practically every format. A removal spell in GW is not something you see every day. And it's not true that this can only remove flyers, but every creature if entwined by giving it flying first. Look at the order of the abilities and remember you perform them in order when entwined. I think this is a high pick in limited and might see some Standard play. Older formats have better options for removal, but not a problem. Not every card is made for Legacy. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - I missed the chance to say my catchphrase: old elements put together in a new way.
Flavor 2/3 - The name is good. I would have liked to see some flavor text, and there is room for two lines for sure, maybe even three. I checked in MSE. Here there's none.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 20/25
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
Crysalid 2g
Creature — Egg (U)
Whenever you put a reach, vigilance, or trample counter on another non-Egg creature you control, put a counter of that kind on Crysalid.
3g, Remove three counters from Crysalid: Create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.
"Some say the crystals can come alive. I've never seen it." — Eligh Loth, Zagoth bandit, last words
0/4
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - A repeatable source of Beasts? Timmy approves! I don't see much for Johnny. Spike also like the repeatability.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - No problems with the color pie or with rules. I'm not sure about rarity because the last ability is repeatable. I would have put a self-sacrifice as a cost. It would have helped the card feeling more in flavor (once the egg hatches it doesn't exist anymore)...
Balance 2.5/3 - ...and it would also have helped with balance. Given that you may use any kind of counters to get the Beast token, just put it in a deck based on +1/+1 counters, that are plentiful in MTG, keep on putting +1/+1 counters on this and enjoy one Beast after another. That made me feel like this card was borderline rare. Playable in limited and probably Standard too, the problem might be the lack of built-in ways to give out counters, but that might have been a little bit too much. Anyway, I would have liked a tap symbol in the activation cost. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - A very creative use of keyword counters, chock full of Mel details, too many to be mentioned here. Yes, I'll give you full points here.
Flavor 3/3 - Making a Crysalid an Egg is kind of a bold choice but it works. The flavor text, once the Quality issues are solved, is printable as is. It's very good. It just needs a couple minor corrections, but I'll take care of that in Quality.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - In the flavor text, there should be no space between the dash and the attribution (-0.5), and it also should be on a separate line (-1).
TOTAL 22/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
3 years ago
Rotting Ghoul 1B
Creature - Zombie {U}
Deathtouch
At the begging of your upkeep, if Rotting Ghoul is in your graveyard, you may put a deathtouch counter on target creature you control. If you do, exile Rotting Ghoul.
Just grab a piece, run with it, and poke 'em. That should do the trick.
2/1
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Spike just loves this. Johnny can maybe do something with the counter or the graveyard. This is one of those creatures that Timmy likes on his side of the battlefield but hates seeing on the other side of the battlefield ("A mere 2/1 that can destroy my big 6/6 while also giving the same ability to another creature of theirs?")
Development
Viability 3/3 - Color pie, rarity, rules... all is good.
Balance 3/3 - Absolutely playable in limited and probably Standard too, it looks quite strong. For once, not much to say here. Being at the "begging" of your upkeep will avoid potential and unwanted on-board surprises in combat, so I also appreciate that. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - It reminds me of embalm vaguely, but no problems except for that.
Flavor 3/3 - Just perfect. Nothing else to say.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - "Begging"? I guess that was supposed to be "beginning" (-0.5 for typo).
TOTAL 23/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
Freyleyes: 23
Pygyzy: 22
Kypster: 20
Henlock: 20

Mirage Xel: 18.5
MonoRedMage: 16.5
Last edited by bravelion83 3 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Done.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: T is disappointed at the cost to P/T ratio; J sees potential; S passes.
(3/3) Elegance: Easily understood, even with cribbing from Crystalline Giant,

Development
(3/3) Viability: All the abilities are Red, and this isn't excessively complex for Uncommon. However...
(1/3) Balance: For a five drop Uncommon, this power level on this card is soft. This has to attack four times to gain enough counters to compare with Charging Monstrosaur. To be viable in Limited or Constructed, it would need to be a 3/3 or cost less.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness: Red creature that can gain a pile of abilities and grow. Still, has haste, unlike Bad Akroma.
(2/3) Flavor: The flavor text gets a little gramatically clunky at the end, and doesn't quite convey the abilities clearly

Polish
(2.25/3) Quality: Card name not Bold. Missing Em dash.
(2/2) *Main Challenge: Check.
(2/2) Subchallenges: Both met.

Total: 19.25/25
Lord Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: T is confused, S takes a hard pass, and J is thinking maybe.
(1/3) Elegance: I had to keep reading the card, and while I understand what is supposed to happen, I'm not sure if the timestamps work. EDIT: The timestamps work, but it isn't intuitive.

Development
(2/3) Viability: Skills are fitting for White, and it's not outside the purview for Uncommon. While giving a vanilla creature double strike can be strong... who plays vanilla creatures outside of Limited?
(2/3) Balance: It isn't pushed by any means, but I also don't see it prized like the Archetype cycle from BNG.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness: Nerfing your own creatures is usually done en masse.
(0.5/3) Flavor: Two Drillmasters and Drill Sergeants already exist (both with modifiers), so lack of another word in the name is uninspiring. The 'flavor text' could have had some elaboration.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality: "Enchanted creature loses..." Nice job stealing rules text from Estrid.

Total: 16/25
Ryder
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal: S likes the value. J less so. T doesn't want to let his opponents gain life.
(2.5/3) Elegance: Clean and clear abilities, but I don't think of lifelink - or granting it- as 'decadent'.

Development
(2/3) Viability: I have no issues with this as a Black Uncommon. That being said...
(1.5/3) Balance: This is pushed. I understand the tradeoff intended, but a 1 drop 2/2 in Black with a negligible drawback? Early game, this is a 4 point life swing if left unanswered. A high pick in Limited, and a contender for Constructed in the right builds.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness: Only 4 cards match the cost and P/T in Black, and only one is Uncommon. Granting abilites to opponents' creatures is unusual, but not unheard of.
(1/3) Flavor: When I think of decadence and vampires, I tend towards revelling in blood, not handing out novelty teeth. The flavor text doesn't match up to the ability. It just grants lifelink; the creatures don't become vampires.

Polish
(3/3) Quality: No issues.

Total: 17/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: T sees go wide potential. S passes. J gives consideration.
(2.5/3) Elegance: Lots of text, but direct and understandable.

Development
(3/3) Viability: Spider. Makes tokens. Green. Repeatable token generation is found at Uncommon, though not previously for arachnids.
(2.5/3) Balance: Nontoken clause keeps it from being self-feeding. Multiples may get out of hand. Big butt and reach is always welcome in Limited. Constructed is more questionable, due to low power. Casting cost feels solid.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness: Other than donating counters, nothing we haven't seen before.
(2/3) Flavor: The flavor text gives me chestburster feels, but also... more scorpion vibes than spider for reasons I can't articulate.

Polish
(3/3) Quality: No issues found.

Total: 20/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: T is on the fence. S wants to loot. J sees options.
Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johnny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(1.5/3) Elegance: Text gets rather small for those of us wearing bifocals. And there is a disconnect between the trigger options.

Development
(2/3) Viability: Looting? Found in Red. First strike and haste? Found in Red. Making opponents sac an artifact? The closest I could find was Tribute to the Wild, which is decidedly not Red. This mostly works at Uncommon, though stapler lists of abilities are often on Mythics. However...
(1.5/3) Balance: The closest Red option for group sac is Yawning Fissure, which, even after a decade of power creep, would be questionable stapled onto a creature. It won't break any formats. Not sure about the casting cost.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness: Nothing new under the sun.
(2/3) Flavor: Name fits, but would have been better with a third option instead of the lukewarm flavor text. This isn't D374-TP.

Polish
(2.75/3) Quality: No Em dash.

Total: /25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Scores (bold advance)
Subject16: 20
kwanyeegor-ii: 19.25
Ryder: 17
marioguy3: 16.75

Lord Asbord Aschutta: 16
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy isn't that impressed by "destroy target blocking or blocked creature" even if it leaves behind a permanent and valuable ability. Jxnny and Spike see plenty to enjoy about a first striking deathtoucher though, even only for one combat.
(3/3) Elegance - Very elegant. It's hard to misunderstand this.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This feels fine as red (equally fine in white, although the flavor might be different), and the strong off-color ability here makes this uncommon.
(2.5/3) Balance - Maybe a little undercosted? As long as you have black targets this is pretty much Limited's best-ever combat trick at that cost, but 1R makes it much less attractive with the normal nonblack mode and then you'd have to add something like +1/+0 until end of turn and... yeah, the more expensive this is the more inelegant you'd have to make it to justify it.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Plenty of first strike granters exist, and plenty of deathtouch granters, but few at the same time, and for good reason. This card is a quite unique remix.
(3/3) Flavor - Very good. A sensible package that explains itself.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 22/25
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy half-likes this and so does Spike - Txmmy wishes it were bigger and Spike would rather have a more reliable haste granter, but will take this in absence of others. Jxnny has plenty to do with those counters.
(2/3) Elegance - It's a bit fiddly, and new players especially will wonder what two instances of first strike and haste do, or how this card interacts with Archetype of Courage.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Red uncommon seems right.
(3/3) Balance - Power level looks fine with only being able to give away one counter per turn.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Haste and first strike granters are hardly new but there are new ideas at work here.
(3/3) Flavor - Works for me, although clearly not Ikoria flavored: could this be a Valla card perhaps?

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Counters get number words, not numerals, and you were even inconsistent about 2 versus two.

Total: 21/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - In Limited particularly, everyone would want this. As a Constructed card it's more a Txmmy/Jxnny thing though.
(3/3) Elegance - Brilliant recasting of graft.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely blue, definitely uncommon, although 3GU would have made sense as well - but then again, monocolorness was a subchallenge.
(3/3) Balance - Relatively strong particularly in Draft, but nothing objectionable here.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Graft is not new, and even the original graft cards often gave keywords to creatures with +1/+1 counters, but this is a cool reimagining, although one I've seen on custom cards since years ago (keyword counters are an idea that's at least 7 or 8 years old from MTGS!)
(2/3) Flavor - Name is slightly generic, and could have used flavor text - there is room for it after all.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - I'm not sure graft including keywords would be formatted in this way, and this rewording changes how graft works, but nothing is wrong with it in a technical sense.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.

Total: 22.5/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a Txmmy/Spike card, particularly in Limited. It's all rather blunt for Jxnny.
(3/3) Elegance - Very straightforward.

Development
(2/3) Viability - A white card for sure, but honestly feels significantly more like a rare than an uncommon.
(2/3) Balance - Probably fine in Constructed, probably obnoxious at its rarity in Limited. I would not want to see an instant-speed Indestructibility on a creature slowing down games and gumming up combat indefinitely that often, especially not with the possibility of enchantment destruction as an out.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The entwine is an entertaining twist, and I can't think of many things that grant BOTH these premium keywords, but otherwise this is a straight-ahead keyword granter.
(2/3) Flavor - Name works fine, but this really could have used flavor text.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Too many line breaks here, owing to I guess unordered list formatting; to avoid this in modal cards use actual ASCII bullet points instead of list tags.

Total: 19/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Spike both want a keyword soup combat master for cheap. Jxnny sees less reason to care without a built-in way to manipulate the counters.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Slightly clunky wording, but easy to understand.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a white uncommon.
(3/3) Balance - The ceiling on this is powerful, but not too powerful, and requires setup. The floor is vanilla. The midpoint is where it'll hit most often - two counters, resulting in a flexible and powerful, but far from OP, creature that the opponent will surely save removal for.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Unique setup, but the result at maximum is... let's say... a "Baneslayerette." Also heavily reminiscent of the modal-keyword cycle from Ikoria itself.
(2/3) Flavor - Flavor text lampshades something slightly off about this card: Keyword counters on Ikoria are associated with bonders and monsters. The normal/"civilized" Humans prefer to have lots of vanilla tokens instead - although, granted, that's the easiest way to get this card to the highest keyword potential.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.

Total: 21/25
Results (Bold Advance)
Show
Hide
netn10 22.5
Phyrexian Editor 22
Jimmy Groove 21
slimytrout 21

RaikouRider 19
A good round all in all and I wish I could have had everyone advance, but ultimately it came down to technical considerations mostly.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”