May MCC, Round 2: Finding Home

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Tarnished Citadel by David Martin and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
May MCC, Round 2 - Finding Home

Welcome to the May MCC! It's Land Month here at the MCC. Lands are critical to how Magic is played, and this month will mechanically be all about them.

Main Challenge: Design a card that causes one or more creatures to explore.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is not green.
Subchallenge 2: Your card is not a creature.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Wednesday, May 20th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Saturday, May 23rd 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge - If your card is a creature, it can fulfill this challenge if it makes itself explore.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
bravelion83
Ryder

Players:
@Sojourner Dusk
@Stankweed Imp
@Flatline
@netn10
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Subject16
@Rithaniel
@StonerOfKruphix
@haywire
@slimytrout
@Henlock
@Lorn Asbord Schutta
@Ink-Treader
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Voyage of Dephts
Sorcery (C)
Target creature you control explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on the creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
You may reveal an Island card from your hand. If you do, return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.
Many adventurers shun the call of sea, but those who follow it to the end, find treasures long-forgotten.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Explorer's Wings 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has flying.
Whenever equipped creature attacks, it explores. At the beginning of your next main phase, if that creature has three or more +1/+1 counters on it, you may transform Explorer's Wings. (To explore, reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
Equip 2
///
Explorers' Outpost
Land (R)
T: Add two mana of any one color. If that mana is spent on a creature spell, it explores when it enters the battlefield.
"May your boots never land in another's footsteps."
-Explorers' farewell
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Compass of the Wastes 1CC
Legendary Artifact (R)
Creatures you control have haste and can't block.
Whenever a creature you control attacks, it explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on the creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
They discovered nothing, then roved out to seek more of it.
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

Survey u
Sorcery (C)
Scry 2, then up to one target creature you control explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on the creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
Last edited by Flatline 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Expeditious Travails 2W
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a Kor you control attacks, it explores.
Whenever a creature you control reveals a basic Plains while exploring, you may create a 1/1 white Kor Soldier creature token.
For the kor, home is always on the move.
Last edited by Ink-Treader 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 3 years ago

Storm Fleet's Incursion UR
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, choose up to one target creature you control. Until end of turn, it gains: "Whenever this creature deals damage to an opponent, it explores. If a land card is revealed this way, choose a counter at random from among flying, first strike, hexproof, and menace. Put a counter of that kind on this creature."
With each raid into new territories, the Storm Fleet became more and more mischievous.
Last edited by StonerOfKruphix 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Mavren Fein's Mission 2W
Legendary Enchantment (Rare)
Whenever you attack with three or more creatures, target attacking creature you control explores.
Whenever a Vampire you control that explored this turn deals combat damage to a player, you may transform Mavren Fein's Mission.
//
New Torrezon
Legendary Land (Rare)
T: Add WW.
All other lands are Plains in addition to their other types.
"Is it not glorious?" - Mavren Fein
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Bottomless Dig
Land (Rare)
T: Add C.
4, T, Sacrifice Bottomless Dig: Each creature you control explores.
"The whole Makindi house versus a large dig that was never seen before. I like our chance."
- Tarish, Expedition Leader, one year ago.

Stankweed Imp

Post by Stankweed Imp » 3 years ago

Mercenary's Respite
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may gain control of target land they control until end of turn. Untap that land.
Whenever you tap a land you control but don't own, up to one target creature you control explores.
No matter the place only hot food, drink, and a bed will complete the day.

haywire

Post by haywire » 3 years ago

Learn from Loss
Sorcery (R)
Target player puts the top three cards of their library into their graveyard. Target creature you control explores X times, where X is the number of nonland cards put into a graveyard this way.
When Learn from Loss is put into your graveyard from your library, you may pay . If you do, you may cast Learn from Loss without paying its mana cost.
Sometimes, loss cannot be overcome. The best we can do is to learn from it and grow stronger, so that it may never happen again.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Less than 24 hours remain.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Trailblazing 1RR
Enchantment — Rare
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, that creature explores.
Whenever a creature you control explores, exile the top card of your library. You may play cards exiled this way as long as a creature you control explored this turn.
2R: Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
True adventure lies in the unpredictable.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 3 years ago

The Unfinished Map 3BB
Legendary Artifact R
Whenever a creature explores and doesn't find a land, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
: Target creature explores.
Ancient, sprawling, and greedy, the map calls out for a completion that can never be attained.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Through the Thicket g
Instant (u)
Target creature gains hexproof until end of turn. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player this turn, it explores.
Ancient texts spoke about a place called The Green Darkness. It wasn't until we had to set foot into the forest that we understood what it was about.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The round is closed. The top two contestants per judge advance. Here are the judging assignments:

void_nothing:
slimytrout
StonerOfKruphix
kwanyeegor-ii
haywire
Subject16

bravelion83:
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Flatline
Ink-Treader
Rithaniel

Ryder:
Sojourner Dusk
netn10
Stankweed Imp
Henlock

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Judgments complete.
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Voyage of Dephts
Sorcery (C)
Target creature you control explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on the creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
You may reveal an Island card from your hand. If you do, return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.
Many adventurers shun the call of sea, but those who follow it to the end, find treasures long-forgotten.
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Of the three psychographics, I can only see Johnny interested in this card, using it as part of some kind of engine involving artifacts. Spike will just use whatever deck Johnny comes up with if it's good (read: powerful) enough. Timmy is just not interested.
Elegance 1.5/3 - Two problems: text length (9 lines and two breaks in the M15 frame, barely within bounds), and the artifact-reanimation ability feels disconnected from the rest. I understand and appreciate the interaction between explore and revealing an Island (you may not have it and draw it off of explore), but why the last part, from a mechanical point of view, not flavorful?
Development
Viability 1/3 - Yes, this is blue, but... (insert curses that would be censored here), this is a COMMON?!? With so much text? Even if you ignore reminder text, the rules text is still four lines but of almost microtext. I feel like this card is saying "Let's throw NWO out of the window, to avoid saying more thing that could be censored here!" There is no realistic way this card is a common. What would I do? Remove the flavor text (see Flavor), rework the card concept that gets destroyed by the removal of the flavor text (again, see Flavor)., and then put this at uncommon for sure. Not even a redflagged common. I'm sorry for the tone I used here, but it's the best to reflect how I felt when I saw this is supposed to be a common. I just went "WHAT? There must be some mistake here..."
Balance 1.5/3 - This card requires a good number of artifacts in you deck to work properly. Also Islands. If this is meant to be in an artifact set that happens to have explore, no problems. But in general, I don't like cards that require other cards to work (yes, this is the Spike part of me speaking). I think you'd only play this in limited if you get enough artifacts, which again, in non-artifact set, is far from a given. In constructed formats the situation is a little better as you can just build that artifact deck you need. I'm not sure I'd play it in current Standard. Yes, there are some good artifacts, but few and mostly mythic. In older formats I will find the artifact density that I need, but there should be better options. As a result, I have a hard time seeing this in competitive constructed. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - "Let's just put explore together with artifact interaction." This is how this card feels to me. Yes, technically new, but not very original.
Flavor 1.5/3 - If I were an editor at Wizard... That's what I would like to actually be my main job if I really worked at Wizards, an editor that dips his toe in design, being put in as many design teams as possible, but still an editor first. They call this your "dream job", and it's also mine, but in the sense that it's really just a dream, seeing how that's impossible because I don't live in the USA. So, what was I saying? Oh yeah, that I'd cut the flavor text from the card because it looks much better in the frame without it, but by doing so I'd remove the one element that keeps the card together. I'm looking again at the "return target artifact" line. It makes sense while the flavor text is still there, it's the long-forgotten treasure you find, but if I take the flavor text out because of text length, that line would feel totally disconnected from the rest of the card. This is usually a sign of a weak flavor. As Maro often reminds us, you can find flavor to justify every card, even color pie breaks, and I think this is an exemplar example of that. (Yes, another literary trick.) That's why mechanics should always prevail over flavor. No problems with the card name.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 15.5/25
Flatline
Show
Hide
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Survey u
Sorcery (C)
Scry 2, then up to one target creature you control explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on the creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy doesn't care. Johnny can use this to dig into his library. Spike can use this as a blue one-mana cantrip for potential card advantage.
Elegance 3/3 - Hard to do better than this.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Now this is a proper common (see previous judgment), and certainly in color.
Balance 3/3 - If Opt is fine, this is probably too. The trade-off between not always drawing the card, and actually only drawing it if it's a land (worse), and scry 2 instead of scry 1 (better) looks good to me. Perfect for something like a UR spells archetype in limited. In Pioneer and older formats Opt is still probably better, but this could be considered to be copies 5-8. In Standard, this will see play if it's the best one-mana blue cantrip available in the format. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - The last in a long line of blue one-mana cantrips, a line that has generated cards banned in multiple formats such as Ponder, or, even closer to this card, Preordain. Let's just say this is not the strongest point of this card.
Flavor 2/3 - The name is very good, it fits the card perfectly and there aren't a lot of good one-letter card names left to use. It's not easy to find one. But what about the flavor text? Why is it not there on this card? Is there really no room for it? I don't think so, but let's go to check in MSE anyway. *checks* Yeah, up to two lines would have fit in the M15 frame with no problems. So its absence is a problem here. (I have already highlighted the literary tricks you learn when writing a 1200-pages long story, haven't I?)
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 21.5/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 years ago
Expeditious Travails 2W
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a Kor you control attacks, it explores.
Whenever a creature you control reveals a basic Plains while exploring, you may create a 1/1 white Kor Soldier creature token.
For the kor, home is always on the move.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy is ready to play this in a Kor deck in any formats that allow it. Johnny can maybe come up with some kind of Kor engine, also exploiting the fact that the token is a Kor too, but it's not a given that he manages. Spike likes getting additional value from explore.
Elegance 2.5/3 - No big problems here, but why is the token creation optional? That "you may" leaves me perplex. No problems in the rest of the card.
Development
Viability 3/3 - In color and at the proper rarity. No problems here.
Balance 1/3 - Limited: in Zendikar set, this is playable, especially because it gives you value even when you get a land from explore. And it happens that we're about to return to Zendikar soon... In non-Zendikar sets, this is just unplayable. There are no Kor there. All of that holds true in constructed, Standard for sure. Pioneer does have some Kor in Zendikar sets, as does Modern. Legacy and Vintage even have the options of the Kor from Tempest block (Stronghold and Exodus) and Nemesis, but I don't think this is enough to see play in those formats, where only the best of the best sees play. The trigger also makes this just straight up unplayable in everything but an explore deck, and I'll be honest: I can't remember any of those from the sets it was in. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Ok, caring about what card you reveal while exploring is new and deserves full points here.
Flavor 3/3 - Is the name supposed to be "Travels"? What I know is that the work "travail" means "work, job" in French. I've studied French for six years and I consider it to be my third language after Italian, my mother tongue, and English, my mother's tongue. (See the earlier note about the tricks you learn by writing a 1200-pages long story.) I have no big problems understanding French, much more speaking it. But that doesn't matter here, as this is an English-speaking forum, not a French one. Let me go check if the word "travail" has a meaning in English too... *checks* Oh look, it does! And a pretty important one too. That's what I've learned today, so thank you for that. Google gives two meanings: "painful or laborious effort" as a noun, and "engage in painful or laborious effort" as a verb. You could tell me: "but Leo, those are the same meaning in different forms, where's the other one?" In the Italian translation that Google translate makes. In fact, it translates "travail" in English (suggesting French by the way, as I said) to "le doglie del parto" in Italian, which is how we Italians call the pain that a woman feels while giving birth to a child, generating a new human life. That's the important meaning I was talking about. And the "painful or laborious effort" meaning perfectly fits this card, so it's not a mistake. It doesn't happen everyday that you discover that a 7-letter word in your third language also has a meaning in your second language and also a third meaning in your first language. See the same note about literary tricks from before. I would also like to take this opportunity to express my fondness for Duff beer... Wait, no, that was the Simpsons (The episode "Duffless" for those that might want to know or go to see it again, which I highly advise, it's very good and from the period back when the Simpsons were still good). I mean the flavor text. That's what I'm expressing my fondness for here. Again, see that same note. And you, enjoy your full points here.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - It should be "Whenever a Kor creature you control..." Noncreatures can't explore (-0.5). It's not the creature to reveal the card for explore, you do. So the last trigger should be "Whenever you reveal a basic Plains while a creature you control explores, ..." (-0.5). I don't understand why the token creation is optional, but it's not a mistake. Reminder text for explore is missing, and that is a mistake, because explore is not an evergreen mechanic and there is certainly room for the reminder text here, so it should be there. (the tricks you learn after writing a 1200-pages long story... anyway, -0.5).
TOTAL 20.5/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Rithaniel wrote:
3 years ago
The Unfinished Map 3BB
Legendary Artifact R
Whenever a creature explores and doesn't find a land, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
: Target creature explores.
Ancient, sprawling, and greedy, the map calls out for a completion that can never be attained.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes everything but the sacrifice. He doesn't want to sacrifice his things, but he likes the thrill of not knowing what he will find from exploring. Johnny can maybe build a card advantage engine mainly exploiting the activated ability (activate it, then use something to untap this artifact, then do it again), something that Spike can also be interested in.
Elegance 2.5/3 - Once the wording of the trigger is fixed, I see no problems here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - This is actually black just for the possible sacrifice, but as Ralph Wiggum would say (apparently today I have a thing with the Simpsons), technically black card is black. Also, rare card is rare. Let's thank Ralph for his pearls of wisdom, and let's move on.
Balance 2.5/3 - I really like the fact that this can trigger itself by activating its tap ability, because that makes it so that this card can work by itself, and can be the only card with explore in a non-explore deck. This card does not require an explore deck to work, unlike the previous one. This is the main reason for the higher score. This card is playable in any format as a source of potential card advantage or if you have any of the "when this creature explores" permanents that exist in Ixalan block. Of course, a real source of card advantage is even better, but again, this card can just work by itself. The limited environment doesn't even require explore to be a main mechanic for this to be playable there. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - I can just copy/paste the previous judgment:
caring about what card you reveal while exploring is new and deserves full points here.
Flavor 3/3 - Very good work. Both name and flavor text are printable as is in my opinion, and the card concept is also very good. A note of praise to the flavor text, I really like it. One of the questions in the rubric is whether the flavor text feels professional, and this one absolutely does. Congratulations for that!
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - First, another copy/paste from the previous judgment:
Reminder text for explore is missing, and that is a mistake, because explore is not an evergreen mechanic and there is certainly room for the reminder text here, so it should be there. (the tricks you learn after writing a 1200-pages long story... anyway, -0.5).
There is no way "doesn't find a land" is good templating. Maybe it could be defined in one of the next CR updates, but as of now, it's clearly NOT a valid template, and I feel like this is a serious mistake worthy of a -1. I always like to propose alternative working templates in these cases. How about "Whenever you don't reveal a land card while a creature you control explores"? Remember, as I've also said in a previous judgment, the creature explores but you reveal the card, not the creature. One more reason why a creature can't "find a land", it's not the creature who does the action of revealing a card. You do.
TOTAL 22/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
Rithaniel: 22
Flatline: 21.5

Ink-Treader: 20.5
Lorn Asbord Schutta: 15.5
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 3 years ago

Done
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Compass of the Wastes 1CC
Legendary Artifact (R)
Creatures you control have haste and can't block.
Whenever a creature you control attacks, it explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on the creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
They discovered nothing, then roved out to seek more of it.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Jenny likes an explore engine, Spike enjoys this as a trade-off card. Tammy sees the drawback and puts it back sadly.
Elegance 3/3 - All good here.

Development
Viability 1.5/3 - Such a powerful and focused effect should not be colorless. The card screams double or triple Red.
Balance 1.5/3 - Path of Discovery says this is too much. There are some noncreature cards at 3cmc that grant haste with an upside, but this upside alone is worth 3-4cmc...

Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - "Haste but can't block" is an interesting setup that would definitely spawn a cool deck.
Flavor 3/3 - Yes, I can feel the madness...

Polish
Quality 3/3 - No problems here.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Met.

TOTAL 20/25
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Bottomless Dig
Land (Rare)
T: Add C.
4, T, Sacrifice Bottomless Dig: Each creature you control explores.
"The whole Makindi house versus a large dig that was never seen before. I like our chance."
- Tarish, Expedition Leader, one year ago.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - A potentially big and splashy effect for Timmy, a potential ton of explore triggers for Johnny and a potential CA for Spike. Full points!
Elegance 3/3 - All clear.

Development
Viability 2.5/3 - No problems at Rare, but it could be better for Limited at Uncommon and with a higher activation cost,
Balance 2.5/3 - As explore is between a +1/+1 counter and "draw a card", this is between Gavony Township and Blighted Cataract. I'd say it should cost 5 to activate at Rare. As-is, slightly pushed.

Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - It's a mass Explore, which hasn't been done before.
Flavor 3/3 - I love this flavor text. Very evocative.

Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - You could include explore's reminder text with this much space left.

TOTAL 22/25
Stankweed Imp
Show
Hide
Stankweed Imp wrote:
3 years ago
Mercenary's Respite
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may gain control of target land they control until end of turn. Untap that land.
Whenever you tap a land you control but don't own, up to one target creature you control explores.
No matter the place only hot food, drink, and a bed will complete the day.
Design
Appeal 1/3 - Crazy enough for Johnny, but others don't get it.
Elegance 1.5/3 - That's a terrible way to word a card that effectively says "Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, it explores. At the beginning of your next main phase, add one mana of any color". Sure, there are some extra shenanigans related to the temporary land stealing, but it's just not worth the convolution it makes,

Development
Viability 2/3 - This card could be mono Red. Rare is good.
Balance 3/3 - As strange as it is, it's also perfectly balanced.

Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Land stealing is something not officially done yet, but it's one of my favorite not-done-yet effects. Orcish Squatters doesn't count.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Mercenaries conquer a land and have fun? Okay, that's cool.

Polish
Quality 2.99/3 - No problems here. However, I've seen your thread asking for help with the templating, which you received. You basically had your card pre-judged and could still edit. That wasn't too sportsmanlike. That's why I'm taking 0.01 off here.

TOTAL 19.99/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Through the Thicket g
Instant (u)
Target creature gains hexproof until end of turn. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player this turn, it explores.
Ancient texts spoke about a place called The Green Darkness. It wasn't until we had to set foot into the forest that we understood what it was about.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Spike and Jenny can appreciate protection with a bonus.
Elegance 3/3 - Perfect.

Development
Viability 2.5/3 - Very green, albeit this could/should be a Common.
Balance 3/3 - Perfect again.

Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Just two elements that make a neat but unsurprising package.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Not exactly oozing flavor, but it's solid.

Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - Missing explore's reminder text.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Not a creature, but it's green.

TOTAL 19.5/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
netn10: 22
Sojourner Dusk: 20

Stankweed Imp: 19.99
Henlock: 19.5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both have something to do with this; Spike cares a bit less.
(2/3) Elegance - A lot of moving parts, to say the least. Also, why "beginning of main phase" and not "end of combat"?

Development
(3/3) Viability - Yup, that's a rare alright.
(3/3) Balance - Explorers' Outpost is very strong, but it requires mana investment and some pretty specific setup.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Equipments that grant flying and repeated exploring are nothing new, and many of the Ixalan fliplands add multiple mana, but the enhanced mana clause is pretty interesting.
(2/3) Flavor - All pretty okay, but kind of boilerplate.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 20.5/25
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Mostly a Txmmy card - it just seems too uncontrollable in its outcome for both Jxnny and Spike.
(1/3) Elegance - Ouch, that is definitely too many wrinkles for me. Granting a triggered ability, complication of explore by adding an extra step, multiple keyword counters, and randomization of four options is a lot of complexity to stick on one card, even a rare.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This would HAVE to be a rare with as complex as it is, and colors seem right.
(3/3) Balance - Seems fine; randomized cards are not too strong. The ability has the potential to be strong but has so many variables to it that you'll almost never get the exact result you want.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The explore part is not new, and neither are keyword counters, but adding something extra when you reveal a land is new.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Can't argue with most of the flavor setup here, although "mischief" is not something I'd really associate with Cap'm Storm and her merry crew: it seems too low-key for, well, cutthroat buccaneers who rob and burn.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems fine.

Total: 19/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Primarily a Jxnny card. Txmmy doesn't think the effect is big enough; Spike is intrigued by the monowhite ramp but thinks the transform trigger is too difficult to be worth it.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Transform trigger is a mouthful.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Definitely a rare. The enchantment half is very white; the land half seems less suited to the color, both with the ramp-ish aspect of adding two mana (although that's less significant) and with the Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth tribute. On one hand I think you may be looking for a Celestial Dawn double reference, which is cool; on the other, white has never been one to add its own land type to stuff.
(3/3) Balance - Nothing objectionable here - making stuff into Plains is not exactly a powerful ability just because there's relatively few cards that interact with that particular land type for some reason (even back in the day it was infamous for having almost no landwalk creatures for it). And the battalion-ish trigger is fair.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Battalion is not new (although this is also a reference to Legion's Landing // Adanto, the First Fort right? Sheesh this is a referential card), but the transform trigger is interesting and so is the back face.
(3/3) Flavor - I like this quite a lot.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good.

Total: 21/25
haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - A partial Txmmy and full Jxnny card; Spike would somewhat disregard it.
(2/3) Elegance - Involves a multi-part process, and the addition of the mill discount adds to the complexity.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Super blue card that definitely feels rare.
(2.5/3) Balance - Exploring three times - the max mode for this barring shenanigans - is relatively strong, but not so strong that I'd be concerned. In fact, it's kind of underwhelming to hardcast this and get less than the full amount of exploration.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - A really unusual - you may even say strange - card.
(3/3) Flavor - I really like this: it's a much more abstract version of "explore" than we're normally used to but it works really well.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems fine.

Total: 23/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - A legit all-rounder with how much it does and how much card advantage you can get out of it.
(2/3) Elegance - Sort of wordy, and has that mass pump activated ability not as part of the main part of the card but just as gravy - that's easy to understand but only adds to the wordiness.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Red rare for sure.
(1.5/3) Balance - This is a sort-of Piracy with other upsides for three mana and that is very concerning.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Some definite unique features here.
(3/3) Flavor - Works for me.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 22/25
Totals (Bold Advance)
Show
Hide
haywire 23
Subject16 22

kwanyeegor-ii 21
slimytrout 20.5
StonerOfKruphix 19
Excellent work everyone. In a normal bracket any one of you would advance, but unfortunately this one was just really strong overall. I really liked every single card! I just had to nitpick in some cases to narrow down my favorites.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”