May CCL, Signups/Round 1: Foreign Exchange

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

CCL May Signups/Round 1

"Foreign Exchange"

Glissa's Courier, taken from berserkerart.com, by Dave Kendall and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Colors Month here in the CCL! The five colors, their corresponding mana, and the mechanical color pie are the very foundation of Magic. This month we'll see how the colors themselves can matter mechanically.

Challenge
Design a monocolored card with a color word other than its own and/or a basic land type word that doesn't correspond to its color in its rules text.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Examples of cards that would fulfill the challenge include White Knight (monowhite, mentions black) and Arctic Aven (monoblue, mentions Plains).
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Thursday, May 7th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (May 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (May 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due May 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 29th)
  • Final (Aoril, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Talachian Entropist 1BB
Creature - Wraith Druid (R)
Talachian Entropist can't block.
When Talachian Entropist enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a Forest or Plains. If you do, destroy target creature, then you may return a Swamp card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
The Talach empire may be no more, but its inability to accept a world without it still forges on.
3/2
Last edited by Ink-Treader 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Witch's Boiling Pot
Legendary Artifact (Mythic Rare)
If a red instant or sorcery would deal damage to a player or planeswalker, it deals double that damage to that player or planeswalker instead. Damage dealt this way can't be prevented.
"They ascend from the stormy mountains to create a legion of boom, so we should greet them at a certain distance."
Obosh, the Preypiercer
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Blessings of the Land 3G
Enchantment (R)
Mountains you control have "T: Target creature gains haste until end of turn."
Swamps you control have "T: Target creature gains deathtouch until end of turn."
Plains you control have "T: Target creature gains vigilance until end of turn."
Islands you control have "T: Target creature gains hexproof until end of turn."

scarbo

Post by scarbo » 4 years ago

(withdrawing entry)
Last edited by scarbo 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Thuthan Defender 4B
Creature — Zombie Soldier (Rare)
Lifelink
Whenever you gain life, you may put that many cards from the top of your library into your graveyard.
During each of your turns, you may cast one white permanent spell from your graveyard.
3/5

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Grixis Dredger 2B
Creature - Human Warlock (Rare)
T: Put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard.
Red creature cards in your graveyard have unearth 2B.
Blue instant cards in your graveyard have flashback 2B.
1/3

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 4 years ago

Maddened Researcher
Creature - Vedalken Wizard (R)
Whenever you shuffle your library, put target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard on the bottom of your library.
Whenever a player casts a red instant or sorcery spell, discard a card, then shuffle your library.
He tries to force chaotic energies into practical results, but those are nowhere to be found
1/2

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Lotleth Recruiter 3BB
Creature — Zombie Elf Assassin (R)
Deathtouch
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, if it was destroyed or dealt damage this turn by a black or green source you control, you may pay . If you do, return it to the battlefield tapped under your control. That creature is a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types.
3/3
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

haywire

Post by haywire » 4 years ago

Irreverent Imp
Creature - Imp (R)
Protection from instants
Whenever a spell or permanent you control becomes the target of a white or blue spell, Irreverent Imp deals 2 damage to any target.
2/1

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 4 years ago

Alluring Spellblade 1rr
Creature - Human Warrior Wizard {U}
When Alluring Spellblade enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature an opponent controls until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. If you control two or more islands, gain control of that creature until Alluring Spellblade leaves the battlefield instead.
The righteousness of her cause draws them in. Her incantations make them stay.
2/1
Last edited by Phyrexian Editor 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Badmoon Angel 2W
Creature--Angel (Mythic)
Flying, lifelink, hexproof from black
All black creatures get +1/+1.
Sometimes seeing an angel of pure light and beauty may not actually be a good omen.
3/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Turbulent Peasantry 2r
Creature - Human Peasant (u)
Haste
When Turbulent Peasantry enters the battlefield, it gets +1/+1 until.end of turn for each plains you control.
2/2

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 4 years ago

Hellfire Preacher 1BB
Creature - Human Cleric (u)
When Hellfire Preacher enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 white Human creatures.
Tap an untapped white creature you control, 1(W/B): Hellfire Preacher deals 1 damage to any target and you gain 1 life.
Even humble sheep can be vicious when led by a wolf in vestments.
0/3

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Thundersong Alarm XWW
Sorcery {R}
Create X 2/2 white Soldier creature tokens. If you control three or more Mountains, those tokens gain haste until end of turn.
To the Legion, a performance from the Garrison's trumpeters is the opening act of the symphony of war.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

The round is closed! Please critique and make a top 3 for the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

Ink-Treader
marioguy3
slimytrout
Subject16
netn10
Lorn Asbord Schutta
spacemonaut
haywire
Phyrexian Editor
kwanyeegor-ii
Henlock
Jimmy Groove
RaikouRider

Next round to come soon.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

marioguy3
Show
Hide
It's interesting, but this simply feels like it should be red no matter how you slice it.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
I like how all the keywords are also ones available in green. I think the main problem here is just how strong the hexproof option is in this context, with deathtouch lagging just behind.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Quite unique. White has access to some very obnoxious permanents though, such as Kami of False Hope. It's high cost probably keeps it from making too much of a splash though.
netn10
Show
Hide
Interesting. Probably breakable with some effort (Painter's Servant would be the classic).
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
For how little this does, it doesn't really need a drawback (and yes, that second ability is absolutely a drawback even if it ties into the first). Could easily remove the 'discard a card' bit and it'd still be a bit underwhelming, but at least not actively detrimental.
spacemonaut
Show
Hide
Thankfully it's kind of frail for its cost, because this pretty much brings combat to grinding halt. The effect is cool, but it could probably cost a little more for the triggered ability.
haywire
Show
Hide
That's a potent hate card, but not unreasonable.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. haywire
3. slimytrout

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 4 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 years ago
Badmoon Angel 2W
Creature--Angel (Mythic)
Flying, lifelink, hexproof from black
All black creatures get +1/+1.
Sometimes seeing an angel of pure light and beauty may not actually be a good omen.
3/2
You don't need the "all" in the Bad Moon ability. It's clearly a quite powerful card, and Bad Moon oddly works in white. I don't get the flavor so much (if it likes black creatures, why does it get hexproof from them), but it would be interesting to see in play.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Turbulent Peasantry 2r
Creature - Human Peasant (u)
Haste
When Turbulent Peasantry enters the battlefield, it gets +1/+1 until.end of turn for each plains you control.
2/2
I guess this is because they're tilling the fields? Wouldn't that yield Food rather than extra combat damage? ;) This is a fun design.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
4 years ago
Hellfire Preacher 1BB
Creature - Human Cleric (u)
When Hellfire Preacher enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 white Human creatures.
Tap an untapped white creature you control, 1(W/B): Hellfire Preacher deals 1 damage to any target and you gain 1 life.
Even humble sheep can be vicious when led by a wolf in vestments.
0/3
Even with the tap cost, this seems like a color pie break to me.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Thundersong Alarm XWW
Sorcery {R}
Create X 2/2 white Soldier creature tokens. If you control three or more Mountains, those tokens gain haste until end of turn.
To the Legion, a performance from the Garrison's trumpeters is the opening act of the symphony of war.
Nice. I like it. Human soldiers are usually 1/1s so you may have wanted Cat tokens here as they're more commonly 2/2. Finale of Glory is the only card making 2/2 soldier tokens that I can recall.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
Talachian Entropist 1BB
Creature - Wraith Druid (R)
Talachian Entropist can't block.
When Talachian Entropist enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a Forest or Plains. If you do, destroy target creature, then you may return a Swamp card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
The Talach empire may be no more, but its inability to accept a world without it still forges on.
3/2
Kills things. Makes nice places into bogs. I get it. Nice.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Witch's Boiling Pot
Legendary Artifact (Mythic Rare)
If a red instant or sorcery would deal damage to a player or planeswalker, it deals double that damage to that player or planeswalker instead. Damage dealt this way can't be prevented.
"They ascend from the stormy mountains to create a legion of boom, so we should greet them at a certain distance."
Obosh, the Preypiercer
I don't understand why this is black.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
Blessings of the Land 3G
Enchantment (R)
Mountains you control have "T: Target creature gains haste until end of turn."
Swamps you control have "T: Target creature gains deathtouch until end of turn."
Plains you control have "T: Target creature gains vigilance until end of turn."
Islands you control have "T: Target creature gains hexproof until end of turn."
Nice that there's no green one because the card itself is green. (I'm probably just playing this in a GU draft deck for the hexproof ability and ignoring the rest of the text.)

1. Ink-Treader
2. RaikouRider
3. Henlock

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 4 years ago

spacemonaut
Show
Hide
Lotleth Recruiter - As it turns out, there are three other cards that has deathtouch at this mana cost. And all of them are better beaters, obviously.
But the reason to play this card is of course the triggered ability. Doom Blade, then Tragic Slip and if I am playing mono black I have got permanent Puppeteer Clique after persisting, at the cost of one card or tempo - depending if you factor Lothleth into formula or not.
Perhaps there might be my biggest gripe about this card - how efficient it is in mono. Adding any other color would seem as added for flavor reasons alone, but green with its ramp holds its own. And I am not sure if it is a good thing, because compared to other creatures occupying the same mana cost - including those without deathtouch - that are dabbling into permanent zombifying, this one is already stronger then most, essentialy giving your black and green creatures Rise from the Grave-anthem and your spell-based removal similiar kicker.
Now that I think about it, I think it should be mythic, even if bolt when you are tapped is enough to thwart this creature. Other then this I am not sure if zombifying a creature that was sacrificed by its controller after it survived combat damage with your critters is intended, but this is how it works right now.
haywire
Show
Hide
Irreverent Imp - Mindsparker weeps in corner. I do like this card as an both incentive to play Jeskai or one of the red's enemy color guilds, and as an deterrant to red's enemy colours, obviously.
But I think it is overboard. It triggers of auras, both yours and opponent, it triggers from targeted permanent removal in both sorcery and instant speed, it triggers from combat tricks prevalent in both white and red, it triggers from counterspells and it triggers from twincasting your own spells. Two expansions are instakill. Even if opponent has counterspell at ready, you still got two shocks at same net card cost and three more mana. Char and Flame Javelin have a shade of dread in their eyes. And if he does't have counterspell, then well... I guess the Imp doesn't care.
I think the protection is fine at the end of the day, since it doesn't stop all kinds of removal and if you intent to use Imp in combo way, then your instants might sit dead on your hand if the Imp is your only nonland. But still, two mana permanent asking me to use sweeper or bleed profoundly on all my targeted removal, that is also strong combo card is too much for me.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Alluring Spellblade - I see no big problems with this card. It should be rare, because permanent thief, even when conditional, or just an exchange, is rare or mythic, due to how much it mess with opponent. It is Hijack on weenie body, with fun bonus.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Badmoon Angel - Angel of the Pure, but not really. It somewhat reminds me of those WB cards like Righteous War and knight pairs that show us how those two colors that are at odds with each other are so close at the same time. I am not sure if the Angel shouldn't cost , as both iconic for white and the fact, that anthems on creatures seems to make them more white.
I think that it is weaker then Resplendent Angel, but not by much, so it is on right rarity slot.
And it shouldn't be "All black", but intead "black creatures".
Henlock
Show
Hide
Turbulent Peasantry - Now you can see violence inherent in the system.
At its worst it is Goblin Chariot, but even casted on curve with only basics it could be 4/4 with haste, which is not without drawbacks, if permanent. With Sacred Foundry it becomes much better Arc Runner. With four plains it is Ball Lightning without trample, that probably survives and stays. And after that there is no much sense for futher comparisions.
I think the lack of any form of evasion makes it balanced uncommon. After one chumpblocking the peasants will scatter and trouble no more then aformentioned goblins. But with good timing you can swing on open board, or you can force chumpblocking with crucial fatty like Sephara, Sky's Blade that was cast turn earlier, and still have the peasants to tell the tale.
In other words, very solid limited card.
The "until end of turn" should be at the end of the triggered ability, though.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Hellfire Preacher - I don't think there is much to say here. "Drain" ability is not great, since at two activations you got half of effect of Covenant of Blood, paying in practice one mana less. Consume Spirit likewise fare little better at floor, since it doesn't have to tap any creatures and has much higher ceiling. The good part is that due to tokens two activations are almost self-contained, requiring just one more land. Moreover, you can split them between targets.
However, the main draw to this card are tokens. Two tokens - no question asked - in mono black for 3 is not a bad deal. Only competion at this spot is Gisa's Bidding cast via madness, and here you get a cleric to boot. Sengir Autocrat has its uses, and for me it feels like cheaper version of him, cast turn earlier.
I am not sold on "hellfire" in Orzhov either, sounds more Rakdos to me.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Thundersong Alarm - The only non-creature on this list. Usually Knights are 2/2 and Soldier tokens are 1/1, but even WOTC don't keep tokens size strict. I think we can agree it is somewhat similiar to Henlock's Turbulent Peasantry - both are intended for Boros, both care about other color lands, both can get haste and both increase in board power with every single land drop. On turn three I would want to have Peasants, since their worst case scenario ist same as Alarm's best - 2/2 haste. And having three Sacred Foundries as first three landrops is rare. With only basics, this card becomes intresting at =3, since it is possible for all of them be mountains. You have then 3 2/2 bodies with haste. Incidentally, in sheer power it is the same as the best case scenario for Peasants - with 4 Plains they would be 6/6 with haste.
But having 3 bodies is better then one, at least when trying to get pass blockers. With each land the power discrepancy between Alarm and Peasants widens, since they go +1/+1 at best, and you always get another token. And there is nothing wrong in it, since they are uncommon and this is rare. I have more problem with others, similiar printed cards. I think - I might be wrong - that it was based on Finale of Glory, but while the Finale has higher ceiling in sheer power, it doesn't give haste. And it is not fun, when with all your board untapped you still cannot block all hasty atttackers who came out of nowhere. Adding soldier tribal to it - while nobrainer in terms of flavour - doesn't help. Compare to Martial Coup. Opponent has about three creatures to block. With Martial Coup at 5, you get 5 1/1 bodies - which is great - opponent loses his blockers - which is even better - but you also lose whatever you had on your board and opponent has a turn to recover. With Alarm you 3 2/2 bodies - which is also good - opponent keeps their blockers - not good - but you have also whatever you got before on your board. And the response window is much smaller. And the more mana, the Alarm is better.
Yet, I like this card very much and it is very competitive, at least in my opinion.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1.Henlock - Turbulent Peasantry
2.Phyrexian Editor - Alluring Spellblade
3.kwanyeegor-ii - Badmoon Angel

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
Nice and clean. Perhaps a bit underpowered, especially when compared to, say, Muldrotha, the Gravetide.
netn10
Show
Hide
I'm a little worried about Time Stop getting flashed back for 3 mana, but it's not absurdly busted. Tons of value though.
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Man, kind of a weird card - took me multiple readings to figure out what was going on. There's a reason R&D doesn't make a lot of "shuffling-matters" cards: if it was at all viable, it would cause huge issues in tabletop because of games going to time.
spacemonaut
Show
Hide
Yikes, really shuts down combat. Even if he just trades, he's basically acting as a Mind Control, and don't get me started on Damnation.
haywire
Show
Hide
This really needs to have "an opponent controls," otherwise it adds a shock to all your Gods Willings. Otherwise a fun card, although it has been done before.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
This should be rare, given that the baseline is Act of Treason with a body attached - would be miserable to play against a draft deck packing multiple of these, especially if it's U/R.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Pretty weird to have a mono-white angel that loves black cards, but is also somehow resistant to them? I don't get it. Card itself seems fine though.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. netn10
3. Phyrexian Editor

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader: Weird card. Guess it would be better with a full set to explain it. powerful card but hard to use to full potential

marioguy3: no reason for this card to be black, esp not to have double black in the cost. would have been more interesting if it granted lifelink

slimytrout: cool card. each one grants the shared ability of the colors. neat!

Subject16: I guess Thuthan is like a white-black faction. cool abilities that work together. maybe too strong as recursion...

Henlock: absolutely great. it's like Angry Mob x Ball Lightning

Jimmy Groove: hmm cool that it needs cards of other colors to fuel it and creates two pingers. could be too strong in limited

RaikouRider: 2/2 soldier tokens, super weird. looks like an okay ravnica card. can insta game win if you get the haste
top 3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2. hemlock
3. jimmy groove
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

haywire

Post by haywire » 3 years ago

Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
I like the flavor and design of the card, but 3 mana is the general rate for the sorcery version of this effect. Getting a well-typed 2/1 and upside for the same CMC as Act of Treason seems quite pushed, especially for an uncommon. And that's not even counting the island upside. It also alleviates the very low floor these types of effects often have, in that it will never be completely dead in a pinch. An overall solid entry, but a little pushed for my taste.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
A 3/2 flying lifelink is already a strong card, and the evasion and anthem effects definitely push this to mythic. A couple formatting issues: "hexproof from" on creatures so far has always been given a separate line, but if you wanted to keep it on the same line, it should be after flying and before lifelink, since keywords are listed alphabetically. And the "all" in the second line is not correct, it should be removed. That said, the flavor is interesting, very evocative of Innistrad or similar themes, and it pushes an interesting playstyle that could be harmful depending on your opponent.
Henlock
Show
Hide
A solid, if uneventful, creature. Peasant typing does put this on Eldraine, which somewhat clashes with flavor that we've seen from the plane so far, but it seems within the realm of reasonability. At 2 lines of text and a localized, one time effect, this seems more like a common to me. Without evasion, its one time boost seems more gimmicky than playable to me for limited, and I don't think it's strong enought o see constructive play.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Not too sold on hellfire as a black or orzhov epithet, seems rakdos or mono red to me. That being said, the ability to cheaply clog the field is one that black doesn't easily get, and creating 2 repeatable pingers on entry is a solid rate, but not too strong I don't think. The ability to target anything feels a little out of pie as well; I would have preferred to see a traditional drain effect in these colors. This card would also be extremely strong in limited, as it can effectively block and ping down aggro beaters, and let your blocking 1/1s trade up with x/2s efficiently.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
This seems like a very strong scale rate; the pwoer-cmc ratio breaks even at x=2, and only improves from there. It is the same rate as Finale of Glory though, and these don't have vigilance, so I think it seems ok. It's simple, and the 3 mountains/2 white sources split means you can't easily splash this for its full potential, which I think is good given the potency of splashing this into a green ramp deck or something.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Overall, a strong but balanced card that does some interesting things. It is an efficient beater stapled to efficient removal, but sacrificing a land is a good offset. My two issues with this card are, first, the two "may" clauses in a single ability seem clunky; is the second one really necessary, am I ever going to have a good reason to not recur a swamp, and is that worth the cost to flow of play? and two, if I'm playing with Overgrown Tomb or similar, this becomes a 3 mana 3/2 that destroys a creature at no cost, since I can just sac and recur one land. I would have liked to see the return clause target, so that you couldn't return the same land you sacrificed.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
This card seems incoherent overall. Why is it black, but provides a firmly mono red effect? Why does a colored artifact referencing wishes in the name, which points pretty strongly to Eldraine, have flavor text from an Ikorian beast that, as far as we know, cannot actually speak? The flavor text also doesn't really elucidate me in any way as to the card's setting or purpose.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. RaikouRider
3. kwanyeegor-ii

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Serious dearth of critiques; extending the critique period until 11:59 PM Eastern on Monday the 18th. Get them in if you played in the first two rounds!

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Some very good entries here. Good job everyone!
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
When I read the first line, I was like "Huh?" but after the second line I was like "Huha!" and I think it is a really neat package of synergy. The flavor of blue mixed with red makes absolute sense here, and my only wish is that this card would have been a little stronger - it doesn't generate any card advantage and it is a 1/2 for 1UU.
spacemonaut
Show
Hide
Without the Lotleth in the title, the whole green thing about this card would not have made sense. The card seem powerful, yet clunky. It seems fun in a deathtouch tribal deck.
haywire
Show
Hide
Now THAT's a hate card! Even as a 2/1 protection from instants for two red is very playable in mono red, and the fact that you got to shock anything every time things you control gets countered or pathed, makes it way too over the top. I like this card for what it gives to mono red, that did not have that kind of hate card since the days of Cryoclasm.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
I always wanted to see how a wizard warrior would look like in Magic, and I think you nailed it. The mono red/red blue hybrid here makes so much sense, I wish to see a full cycle of this card. The flavor is awesome and I believe the card can inspire a new red-blue tempo deck that uses wizards and prowess and all the fun stuff. My only problem with it is that it is way too powerful for an uncommon - this is very much a rare material.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
An angel this cheap is weird to see. Even as a 3/2 flying for 3 mana it is very playable, and the fact that is an anthem for your whole team (well, if your opponent is not like black tokens) and lifelink and hexproof from black... this is a pushed mythic, I like the flavor of it, and the flavor text is very good.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I can see mono white aggro splash for this, possibly as the only red card and with some Sacred Founderies. The card is solid, and it opens up a really neat design space.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Dealing damage to any target is red territory but I suppose the lifegain makes this black. This looks miserable to play against in limited, especially as an uncommon. The flavor text is sick, probably the best in this bunch.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: Phyrexian Editor
2nd: haywire
3rd: Henlock

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Ink-Treader: This feels like a Modern Horizons card. Probably too strong for a Standard in which lands with the land types exist, but feels right at home in an Aristocrats deck. Did you intend for the card to be able to return the same land that was sacrificed?

marioguy3 "Red instant or sorcery spell". Additionally, I'm not really on board with a card that is effectively a do-nothing unless you're also in red. It should probably have some kind of effect that is usable in just mono-black (yes hybrid exists, I know.) I could see this affecting black and red spells and still being fine.

slimytrout: Probably would have went with flying instead of hexproof on the final ability - hexproof to effectively your entire team just by holding up U every turn. I like how this is playable in any color identity besides green. There is an argument that effects like Prismatic Omen allow access to all of your card's abilities in mono-green but that's fine.

Subject16: A build-around for sure. Protects itself indefinitely with any white permanent that can be sacrificed to save a permanent from something. A bit obnoxious but I don't think it's too overpowered. If it could be a commander, maybe?

netn10: Seems like something you would only see in a Commander product or a Masters-type product, but man does this look fun to put in nearly any deck in its colors. I'd like to see a life cost attached to the recursion, though - you can effectively cheat some really big spells this way, and it protects itself with every piece of countermagic you play. Might be a bit over the top as is.

Lorn Asbord Schutta: I like the idea behind this card but I don't like that the discard is mandatory, especially since it seems like the discard is not intended to be a drawback. Neither one of these triggers should be mandatory.

spacemonaut: On a 3/3 for 5, I think this is balanced. Seems like it can take over the board in a hurry, but it feels very bad if removed. This effect reminds me a little bit of Grave Betrayal but at a less prohibitive cost.

1) slimytrout
2) Ink-Treader
3) netn10

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”