April MCC, Round 3: Rivals for the Skies

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Banner based on Furyborn Hellkite by Brad Rigney and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
April MCC, Round 3 - Rivals for the Skies

Welcome to the April MCC! It's Dragon Month here at the MCC. By far Magic's most prominent "large creature" type is getting its due this month - and to hear the Dragons tell it, they're due quite a lot!

Main Challenge: Design a red creature card with flying.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is not a Dragon.
Subchallenge 2: Your card has base power and toughness each 5 or greater.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Wednesday, April 29th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Saturday, May 2nd 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main challenge: The card must have flying at all times. The exact keyword printed right on it. If you exile it with a Soulflayer the Soulflayer should have flying. You get the picture.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
Ink-Treader
StonerOfKruphix

Players:
@RaikouRider
@scarbo
@Ryder
@Jimmy Groove
@netn10
@w0mbat
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Great Thunderbird 1RRR
Creature — Elemental Bird (U)
Flying
Whenever Great Thunderbird deals combat damage, it deals that much damage to itself.
Their natural temper is as big as their potential size. Those, which survive long enough to reach it, are the most self-restrained.
5/6
Last edited by Ryder 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

scarbo
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by scarbo » 4 years ago

Kallux and Paxin 4rr
Legendary Creature - Phoenix (R)
Flying, menace
If a spell or ability an opponent controls would exile Kallux and Paxin from your graveyard, you may return it to the battlefield instead.
Cycling 1r
6/6
Last edited by scarbo 4 years ago, edited 8 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Avacyn's Avenger 3RR
Creature - Angel (Mythic)
Flying
Whenever an Angel you control dies, it deals damage equal to its power to any target.
"Wishing upon a falling star is ineffective when a falling comet blazing with holy wrath is falling upon you."
- Thar, Cathar General

5/5
Last edited by netn10 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 4 years ago

Living Storm 3RRR
Creature - Elemental (R)
Flying
Whenever Living Storm attacks, you may pay XR If you do, create X 3/1 red elemental creatures with trample attacking. Sacrifice them at the beginning of your next end step.
5/5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Roughly 36 hours remain - please make or finalize your entries soon!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Less than 12 hours remain for @RaikouRider and @w0mbat

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Dualmind Enigma 2UURR
Creature - Sphinx {R}
Flying
When Dualmind Enigma enters the battlefield, discard your hand, then draw seven cards.
Whenever you discard a card, exile that card.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may discard your hand, then put all cards exiled with Dualmind Enigma into your hand.
5/6

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The round is closed. This is the versus round.

The five contestants have been randomized into one bracket of two and one bracket of three. All judges will judge all the entries. The contestant in each bracket with the lowest total score will be eliminated. The rest will move on to the finals.

Ryder vs. Jimmy Groove
scarbo vs. netn10 vs. RaikouRider

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

All done
Ryder
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy likes the size, but the drawback otherwise gives them pause. Johnny can find ways to make use of the triggered ability. Spike finds the drawback acceptable, considering how undercosted it is.
(3/3) Elegance - Doesn't get much simpler without veering into french vanilla territory.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely red. The tricky part is if it's uncommon or rare. Looking at creatures of the most comparable archetype, Ball Lightning and friends, it definitely depends. I think uncommon is ultimately appropriate.
(2.5/3) Balance - Back to Ball Lightning and co, this seems pretty safe. I don't think it's constructed playable. Not having trample or haste makes it pretty easy to deal with, though some colors might have to chump it, or burn after it connects. Trample might have been a good idea here to give some more punch. It seems pretty playable in Limited, despite the hefty color investment.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I am actually astounded this drawback has never been printed on a card, outside of activated abilities that damage the creature and another target. It bears some similarities to other previously mentioned cards, but definitely does its own thing.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Name is a little generic but the flavor text sells it well. There's some completely unnecessary commas in there though that make reading the flavor text a bit awkward though.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - As mentioned, those commas in the flavor text are completely unnecessary.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Certainly a red creature with flying.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Non-Dragon with power and toughness each 5 or greater.

Total: 22.5/25
vs.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes this a lot. Johnny has some stuff to work with, between the tokens and trying to deny their sacrifice trigger. Spike appreciates how much of a threat this can be, but it has to survive first.
(3/3) Elegance - Pretty elegant.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - It's certainly red and rare. However, this would be almost certainly be printed with the tokens being tapped, as is traditional with cards that generate attacking tokens.
(2.5/3) Balance - It's certainly a bomb. Almost certainly game ending if it gets to swing. Constructed might still pass over it due to how vulnerable it is for its cost, but it really only needs to swing once. Absolutely back breaking in Limited though. I suspect this would probably still see play even if the tokens were 2/1. Might even see some Commander play? Depending on the group.

Creativity
(0.5/3) Uniqueness - Tilonalli's Summoner came immediately to mind. Tokens like this also aren't terribly uncommon in red.
(2/3) Flavor - I'm honestly surprised this isn't already the name of a card. It works, to be sure. There was room for flavor text though.

Polish
(2.25/3) Quality - Parhellion II (notably the only card that generate tokens that aren't tapped and attacking, but for good reasons, seeing as they have vigilance and aren't temporary) suggests that it should be "that are attacking", not just "attacking". Also missing a period (.) after the "XR".
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - That's a red creature with flying.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Non-Dragon, and it's power and toughness are each 5 or greater.

Total: 19.25/25
----
scarbo
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy's pretty alright with it. Johnny and Spike dislike the lack of agency in getting that trigger, but Spike can at least appreciate being able to use it as a surprise in response to grave hate with the Cycling ability.
(2.5/3) Elegance - There are people that are definitely going to be taken by surprise when the find out Leyline of the Void and the like block the trigger.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely red and rare. The replacement effect is definitely new, most reminiscent of cards like Loxodon Smiter (which notably includes the two colors that have that effect). I'd see as most likely to appear in black, but red could certainly work with the right flavor.
(2.5/3) Balance - Certainly interesting. It's playable in Limited due to good rate as well as cycling early on. Constructed playability depends on the environment, particularly if grave hate is very common, and not of the Leyline of the Void variety. Certainly a decent sideboard option for certain decks. Only notable concern is it's much stronger than any of the cards with the Loxodon Smiter ability, being a 6/6 with flying and menace on top of that.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Comparisons aside, this is very unique, even among its fellow Phoenixes.
(1.5/3) Flavor - It's certainly a Phoenix, but there's not much else for Vorthos to latch onto. What is the significance of this pair? There's room for some flavor text, even if the Cycling reminder text was included too.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - I feel as though it should be "return them" not "return it", but there doesn't seem to be any precedence, so I'll let it slide.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Certainly a red flier.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Non-Dragon, and power and toughness are each 5 or greater.

Total: 21/25
vs.
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes it, it's sizable and gets revenge if it dies. Johnny isn't terribly interested since it's rather blunt, but there's other Angels to combine it with... or Clones. Spike is quite happy with it, and it only gets better with more Angels.... or Clones.
(3/3) Elegance - Nothing too confusing here.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely red. Mythic is questionable, but if Angel tribal was a thing in its set then keeping this as rare as possible in Limited would seem wise.
(1.5/3) Balance - Stalking Vengeance and Dreadhorde Butcher are the two most comparable cards. This is cheaper and has evasion over Stalking Vengeance, as well as counting itself. Stalking Vengeance has haste, but also lets any (other) creature get revenge. Dreadhorde Butcher also has haste, but lacks evasion. It's cheaper, and can grow itself, but is otherwise less efficient cmc to P/T wise. I think this card is extremely playable, maybe even in Eternal? Might be too costly for that, and even slower to make nutty combos with, but it depends. Can definitely be the bane of a Commander table though combined with Clones though, but Stalking Vengeance can claim that too, though it's more expensive to cast. Ignoring silliness with copying, this card could probably define a Standard format with its power, especially if there's more Angels to back it up. Making it legendary might ironically make it stronger, turning future ones into 10 damage nukes (or 5 and 5). A higher cost and/or a smaller P/T would help. Or "another".

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - It's Angel tribal Stalking Vengeance. Not terribly unique, but the Angel tribal angle is interesting.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Name certainly works, as does color. The flavor text is worded poorly though. That second instance 'falling' is completely redundant, and even omitting that it reads a bit oddly

Polish
(3/3) Quality - No problems here.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Red flier
(2/2) Subchallenges - Non-Dragon with power and toughness each 5 or greater.

Total: 20.5/25
vs.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - I'd say this has mass appeal. There's something for everyone here, though Johnny and Spike might chafe a bit at the mandatory exiling.
(2.5/3) Elegance - It's understandable why it has the lines of text that it does, but there's still quite a lot going on here. Most players will probably get it, but there's potential for confusion with discard exile trigger and the last ability.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Feels red and blue, and definitely rare. Perhaps even mythic, since "draw seven cards" is one of those spicy pieces of text, and this can be blinked.
(2.5/3) Balance - 5/6 flier for 6 is a pretty good rate. Tack on the Wheel of Fortune EtB, and things start looking really nice, even with the drawback of the discarded cards getting exiled. Add on that you can blink it (though again, that exile effect keeps things in check) and you can start digging for answers in a hurry if it doesn't get killed. The ability to exchange hands with the exiled ones is just gravy. This will absolutely see play, but I must applaud the exile effect keeping this from getting absolutely insane.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Wheel of Fortune meets Bag of Holding, on a Sphinx. Somewhat different thanks to smaller changes (such as not sacrificing itself for one), but it is ultimately a very splashy Bag of Holding.
(3/3) Flavor - I think the name works quite nicely. No room for flavor text, so that's fine.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Bag of Holding suggests it should be "Whenever you discard a card, exile that card from your graveyard." instead of "Whenever you discard a card, exile that card."
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - It's a red flier
(2/2) Subchallenges - Non-Dragon with power and toughness each 5 or higher.

Total: 21.5/25
---
Scores
Show
Hide
Ryder:22.5 vs. Jimmy Groove:19.25
RaikouRider:21.5 vs scarbo 21 vs. netn10 20.5

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 4 years ago

Ryder
Show
Hide
Ryder wrote:
4 years ago
Great Thunderbird 1RRR
Creature — Elemental Bird (U)
Flying
Whenever Great Thunderbird deals combat damage, it deals that much damage to itself.
Their natural temper is as big as their potential size. Those, which survive long enough to reach it, are the most self-restrained.
5/6
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy appreciates how big it is, and Spike appreciates the stat-to-cost ratio. Jxnny might find something to work with the "hitting itself" clause, but it's not that open.
(3/3) Elegance - Very elegant.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Definitely a red card, since we've seen something similar in Goldnight Castigator. I'm uncertain on the rarity, though. This is a card between uncommon and rare, since by itself it could carry you to victory. True, you only need to block it with a 1-power flyer to kill it (or deal 1 damage to it after it connects), but for its cost and its stats, it's a risk you're willing to take. The mana cost ensures that it's not a turn-4 slam dunk on every game (unless you're playing mono-R, of course), but I'm unsure on the proper rarity. I guess we should see the environment this is in to get a proper picture. Had it been a little smaller, like a 4/5, giving an opponent a 5-turn clock instead of a 4-turn clock, it would've scored full points.
(3/3) Balance - I've spoken about the ways this card balances itself in the section above, so I'm not going to repeat myself. I'm sure it could see some play in standard, but it would be too risky in other formats. Definitely okay for casual and EDH, though.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - The "deals damage to itself" is something that basically every color has done, but this is a nice spin on it.
(3/3) Flavor - Very nice. I like the flavor connection between the ability and the bird's temper.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All correct.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Check.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Double check.

Total: 23.5/25
VS
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
4 years ago
Living Storm 3RRR
Creature - Elemental (R)
Flying
Whenever Living Storm attacks, you may pay XR If you do, create X 3/1 red elemental creatures with trample attacking. Sacrifice them at the beginning of your next end step.
5/5
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy is drooling by just thinking at how big it is and how much it can swing for. Spike dislikes the high mana cost but sees the power of this. Jxnny can think of some cute etb combos (like Warstorm Surge) to combine with the attack, but that's it.
(3/3) Elegance - A bit wordy, but understandable with a read.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This couldn't be nothing else than a red rare. Some might argue it could be a mythic for limited purposes, but we've had our fair share of broken rares recently.
(2/3) Balance - Well, even if this card does not defend itself in any way, swinging with it almost assuredly will make you win the game, since you can at least add 15 trampling power on board. This could definitely see some standard play as a finisher in some deck, and it is going to be one of the most hated cards in your EDH table. Also, for the aforementioned reasons, this is basically a slam dunk in limited, and I'd probably switch colors even in pack 2 or pack 3 if I were to open it (since it's unlikely for someone to pass this).

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - This is a bigger, badder Tilonalli's Summoner.
(1.5/3) Flavor - The card's name is super generic, and the lack of flavor text doesn't help its cause.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - There's a period missing after the XR (-0.5). Also, red had its fair share of creature creating tokens that enter the battlefield attacking, but they're usually tapped, which is definitely weird to not read on this card. Even if this is intentional, look at Parhelion II for the correct wording (-0.5).

Total: 19/25
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Avacyn's Avenger 3RR
Creature - Angel (Mythic)
Flying
Whenever an Angel you control dies, it deals damage equal to its power to any target.
"Wishing upon a falling star is ineffective when a falling comet blazing with holy wrath is falling upon you."
- Thar, Cathar General

5/5
Design
(3/3) Appeal - This card has a little bit of something for everybody, with Txmmy appreciating the size, Spike appreciating the value and Jxnny appreciating the combos it could have with other angels and a sac outlet.
(3/3) Elegance - Very elegant.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a red card. I could see this as a rare, but the mythic rarity is not unwarranted here.
(2/3) Balance - Well, the stats and the ability make sure it would see play in basically any red deck in standard as a curve-topper (except for RDW, maybe), so this would run rampant for all of its duration in standard, being pretty obnoxious for decks who can't exile it. I'm not sure if this could see play in older formats, but all of those with an Angel tribal deck will vie for a copy of this. Limited-wise, this is a windmill slam, since there's basically no downside in playing it even if you have no other angels.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Basically an angel-themed Stalking Vengeance, but it's original enough.
(3/3) Flavor - Very nice flavor. I admit I chuckled when reading the flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All correct.

VS
scarbo
Show
Hide
scarbo wrote:
4 years ago
Kallux and Paxin 4rr
Legendary Creature - Phoenix (R)
Flying, menace
If a spell or ability an opponent controls would exile Kallux and Paxin from your graveyard, you may return it to the battlefield instead.
Cycling 1r
6/6
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy appreciates the size and Spike appreciates the versatility given by cycling, but there's nothing here for Jxnny.
(3/3) Elegance - Very elegant card.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Yeah, this couldn't be anything other than a red rare.
(2.5/3) Balance - Well, this card is a windmill slam in limited for the stats only, but I'm not sure it would see play anywhere else, since the resurrection ability is super narrow and very situational. I do agree that cycling might help it to see some constructed play, but that's it. I mean, it would be hard to justify it even in a phoenix tribal deck, since it would be very hard to recur. I also understand that you could respond to a mass-graveyard exile by cycling it and returning it to the battlefield but, again, it's such a narrow situation I find it hard to believe it's relevant.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - The recursion clause is neat, but it's all this card has going for it.
(2/3) Flavor - The name is interesting and it would be the first legendary pair of phoenixes in M:tG, but some flavor would've helped this card get a full score.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All correct here.

Total: 21.5/25
VS
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Dualmind Enigma 2UURR
Creature - Sphinx {R}
Flying
When Dualmind Enigma enters the battlefield, discard your hand, then draw seven cards.
Whenever you discard a card, exile that card.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may discard your hand, then put all cards exiled with Dualmind Enigma into your hand.
5/6
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Everyone likes something in this card: Txmmy appreciates how big it is, Spike appreciates the immediate value it gives you and Jxnny likes the recursive combos they could do with the discard/exile ability.
(2/3) Elegance - This is a card that definitely needs a reread or two, as I'm sure some players will ask "but if this exiles the cards you discard, don't you get all them back at the same time when you return the exiled card to your hand?".

Development
(3/3) Viability - This is the perfect example of an Izzet rare, doing chaotic things with your hand à la Arjun.
(2/3) Balance - I'm not sure how strong a Wheel of Fortune stapled to a 5/6 flyer is, but it's definitely a very strong effect. Also, this card becomes very dangerous in limited, where there's a concrete risk of milling yourself, being at the same time a windmill slam first pick. About Constructed, this would be the perfect curve-topper in a Jeskai control shell, giving you a fresh new hand and throwing away all the junky cards that are left in your hand. There's of course some tension in case you discard something you wanted to play, but the fact that you can get them back plays against that. I could also see this doing very broken things in older eternal formats, since the effect is very abusable.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - This is a very nice take on a chaotic Izzet sphinx, even though the first line is basically Wheel of Fortune.
(2/3) Flavor - With a name like that, I expected this to be either a sorcery/instant or a weird, not a sphinx. Also, some flavor text might've helped.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - See Bag of Holding and Necropotence for the correct templating on the second line (-0.5).

Total: 21/25
Scores
Show
Hide
Ryder 23.5
JimmyGroove 19

netn10 22.5
scarbo 21.5
RaikouRider 21

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ryder
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy's not a fan of the harsh drawback; it essentially means this creature will almost always die from blocking or being blocked. Jxnny sees an odd ability to be exploited. Spike likes the efficiency level for Limited.
(3/3) Elegance - Looks good.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Very red and seems mostly okay at uncommon.
(2.5/3) Balance - A little strong in Limited but overall fine.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Red has a lot of "self-destruct when attacking" creatures but this particular form of the drawback is new. Plus seeing something with those stats at that mana cost is interesting.
(3/3) Flavor - I like this except for the grammar (see below).

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - That second sentence of flavor text should have no commas in it.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

scarbo
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Spike both like the raw power on display here, and Spike wants to cycle in response to a Tormod's Crypt activation. Johnny really wishes that weren't an "opponent controls."
(2.5/3) Elegance - A little wordy and ability-heavy but makes its point.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely red and certainly fine at rare.
(3/3) Balance - I take no issue with this.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - That return triggered ability is very unusual, there are not a lot of flying menacers out there, and two-character legends are few and far between and I wish there were more. This whole card is also very nice in a Melvin sense, I'm not sure where to put that though.
(2/3) Flavor - I wish I had flavor text here but the two Phoenixes = bigger than usual (two 3/3s?) and menace thing is genius.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Seems like everyone can find something to like here.
(3/3) Elegance - A pretty simple triggered ability.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Very red and I can see it at mythic - Goldnight Castigator was.
(2.5/3) Balance - Fairly strong on its own; very strong in Angel tribal, but that's a hard deck to put together at the best of times even without red. Probably most useful in EDH.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Damage-dealing dies triggers are nothing new; this is sort of like a souped-up Angel-specific Stalking Vengeance.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I love this except for the unnecessary repetition of "falling."

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems fine.

Total: 22/25
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Spike both really like this; it's a bit straightforward for Jxnny.
(2/3) Elegance - Really clogs up the board, every combat.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Definitely red, should probably be mythic rather than "just" rare.
(1.5/3) Balance - A surefire game-ender every time it attacks. As many Spark Elementals as you have mana is no joke. Maybe the expensiveness rules it out for competitive Constructed but in Limited and Casual formats, lots of people would hate it.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - There have been a surprisingly large number of "generate lots of 3/1 red Elemental creature tokens with trample and haste that get sacrificed at end of turn" cards, but none done quite like this.
(2/3) Flavor - That name is super boilerplate.

Polish
(1/3) Quality - A lot wrong here. Missing a period in the triggered ability, "Elemental" isn't capitalized, and "create...that are tapped and attacking" is the correct wording for this sort of effect Hanweir Garrison. The only time attacking tokens don't ETB tapped is if they have vigilance, like on Brimaz, King of Oreskos.

Total: 17/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Everybody likes this wild card.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Slightly complicated, especially with setting aside piles of exiled cards multiple times and/or switching between them.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Color and rarity clearly right.
(1.5/3) Balance - A blinkable personal seven-card wheel with a fat body is... maybe concerning... but the initial price of admission is at least color-intensive.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - This is one of those cards that owe small things to a lot of cards; I guess the closest thing is Scroll Rack, which is quite different.
(3/3) Flavor - Nice name, and being a Sphinx really fits this card.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good by me.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ryder 22.5 + 23.5 + 22.5 = 68.5
Jimmy Groove 19.25 + 19 + 17 = 55.25

scarbo 21 + 21.5 + 22.5 = 65
netn10 20.5 + 22.5 + 22 = 65
RaikouRider 21.5 + 21 + 22.5 = 65

Extraordinarily enough, one of these brackets has a three-way tie final score. All three of those contestants will be going to the finals.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”