Locked Previous topicNext topic
spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

CCL April, Top 8

"Might of the Dragons"

Boltwing Marauder|DTK, taken from artofmtg.com, by Raymond Swanland and Wizards of the Coast

Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Tarkir Month on CCL! This month we'll be exploring the dragoniest block that ever dragoned. It brought with it a lot to love, much of it that wasn't even dragons. We'll be exploring the design challenges presented by its themes with some focus on wedge design.

Challenge: Design two cards — a dragon creature with a wedge color identity; and within that same color identity, a non-dragon creature with a dragon tribal ability.

Clarifications:
  • The dragon must have a color identity of exactly three wedge colors.
  • The non-dragon's color identity may be zero, one, two, or three colors, but those must be colors found in the dragon's color identity. If your dragon's color identity is GUR, your non-dragon's color identity might be mono-G or UR or GUR for example, but its color identity cannot include black or white.
  • A dragon tribal ability should mainly benefit dragon cards, but how it does this is up to you.
  • Color identity is defined in CR 903.4: "The color identity of a card is the color or colors of any mana symbols in that card's mana cost or rules text, plus any colors defined by its characteristic-defining abilities (see rule 604.3) or color indicator (see rule 204)." Note that mana symbols in reminder text do not count toward color identity.
  • You may assume this is a set with a significant dragon theme.
  • The cards do not have to be set on Tarkir.
Your submissions are due Wednesday, April 22nd, 23:59 EST.
Contestants:
@RaikouRider
@slimytrout
@bravelion83
@Henlock
@Gateways7
@void_nothing
@Subject16
@Ink-Treader

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (April 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due April 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (April 18th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due April 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due April 30th)
  • Final (May, winner determined by public poll)
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Kolaghan's Broodling 2RWB
Creature — Dragon (R)
Flying
When Kolaghan's Broodling attacks, it deals 1 damage to defending player and you gain 1 life.
Dash RWB (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
"What's all this talk of the unspeakable clans resurrected? The dragons are our masters. Our worship will always be for the one and only Kolaghan and her brood."
3/3

Kolaghan's Picker 2R
Creature — Human Warrior (R)
Dragon creatures you control have haste.
If you control a Plains, Kolaghan's Picker and Dragon creatures you control have lifelink.
If you control a Swamp, Kolaghan's Picker and Dragon creatures you control have deathtouch.
"Pick up the scales that fall from Kolaghan's skin: this is my life purpose. And each scale is a different gift to us."
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Iceflame Guardian 2UU
Creature - Dragon (U)
Flying
Whenever Iceflame Guardian deals damage to a creature, that creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
1{r/w}{r/w}: Iceflame Guardian deals 2 damage to target attacking creature.
2/4

Taigam, Fist of Ojutai 1WU
Legendary Creature - Human Monk (M)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, exile up to one target creature you control, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
Whenever a Dragon enters the battlefield under your control, look at the top card of your library. If it's an instant or sorcery card, you may reveal it and put it into your hand.
3/3
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Trance-Wing Tyrant 2BGU
Creature - Dragon {R}
Flying, trample
When Trance-Wing Tyrant becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, gain control of up to one target nonland permanent that player controls.
5/5

Qarsi Wingdredgers 2BB
Creature - Naga Cleric {U}
When Qarsi Wingdredgers enters the battlefield, return target Dragon creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Whenever Qarsi Wingdredgers or a creature put onto the battlefield with it leaves the battlefield, sacrifice the other.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Lord of Dark Purpose 3W
Creature - Dragon (M)
Flying
Whenever a spell or an ability from another source you control destroys one or more permanents an opponent controls, you may pay BG. If you do, destroy target permanent.
WB, T: Put target permanent card that was put into a graveyard from anywhere this turn onto the battlefield under your control.
Some scalelords questioned Dromoka's hate of necromancy - and then needed to try it to judge for themselves.
3/3

Ainok Trumpeter 1GG
Creature - Hound Warrior Scout (U)
Flash
When Ainok Trumpeter enters the battlefield, untap all creatures you control. Put a +1/+1 counter on each Dragon untapped in this way.
"To arms and to the skies! Let Dromoka's light restore the natural order!"
2/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Atarka's Formcaller 3GUR
Creature — Dragon (Rare)
Flying
Devour 1 (As this creature enters the battlefield, sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
Atarka's Formcaller has hexproof as long as you control a face down creature.
When Atarka's Formcaller enters the battlefield, manifest the top card of your library for each creature it devoured. (Put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature. Turn it face up any time for its mana cost if it's a creature card.)
4/4

Dragon's Offering 3G
Creature — Bear (Uncommon)
Trample
Dragon spells you cast cost 4 less to cast.
Whenever you cast a Dragon spell, sacrifice Dragon's Offering.
First come, first feasted.
4/3

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Given this was posted fairly late in the day on the 18th, I'm extending the deadline by 24 hours to midnight on Wednesday, April 22nd. Those of you who have already submitted entries may of course use this time to make any revisions if you're so inclined. Each following date on the schedule has been shifted back a day.
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Dread Encircler 1RWB
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flying, first strike
Whenever a Dragon you control attacks, choose target creature an opponent controls. Until end of turn, you choose how that creature blocks. Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control that dealt damage to it this turn.
Some of Kolaghan's brood acquired a sense of tactics that their mother lacked.
3/3

Devotee of the Scale W
Creature - Human Warrior (U)
Whenever a Dragon you control becomes the target of a spell or ability with a single target you don't control, you may have Devotee of the Scale become the target of that spell or ability if able.
"Our lives are but sparks of the lives of dragons. If their flame goes out, so will all of ours."
2/1

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Approximately 21 hours remain in this round.

FYI
@Henlock
@Gateways7

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Vertica, the Enlightening2wur
Legendary Creature - Dragon (m)
Flying
When Vertica, the Enlightening enters the battlefield, exile cards from the top of your library equal to your life total.
When Vertica, the Enlightening deals combat damage to an opponent or planeswalker, choose up to three cards exiled with it. You may play those cards this turn.
5/5

Augur of the High Peaks 1r
Creature - Human Cleric (u)
Reach
Whenever a Dragon attacks, scry 1.
2/2

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

This round is closed. There has been one absentee.

Please critique each of the six other entries and provide a top 3. Critiques are due Friday, April 24th, 23:59 EST.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
bravelion83 - The Broodling is really underwhelming for its regular mana cost, especially at rare. I guess the dash cost makes it a bit more efficient. And that flavor text is way too verbose. Same flavor text problem with the Picker, and another flavor problem there: It's Dromoka's brood-clan that's really concerned about scales. It's their symbol after all, their top level members are literally called scalelords, and Dromoka herself gives out scales as gifts. Kolaghan's emblem is the wing.

slimytrout - Iceflame Guardian is quite clever but repeated ping shots like that might be too much for uncommon. Taigam 2.0 (3.0?) is an even cleverer design but kind of makes me think "damn, not another OP blink commander."

RaikouRider - Trancewing Tyrant has a great name and a fun hexproof variant for the requisite large dumb beater. Qarsi Wingdredgers is really nice, reminding me of Bladewing's Thrall.

Subject16 - Atarka's Formcaller frankly rules - I can see devour returning for an Atarka mechanic in a return set because Atarka herself mostly just likes to eat. Dragon's Offering is super nice and flavorful as well.

Ink-Treader - Dread Encircler is my kind of card. Love consistent combat tricks. Devotee of the Scale is a flavor win.

Henlock - Vertica is splashy and cool but way too strong. Augur of the High Peaks is good - I like the hoser and enabler aspect.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. Subject16
3. RaikouRider
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

I've noticed a common trend. All Dragon design that want to shock the reader in a variety of ways, while I'm the only one who willingly went with something where the splash value is low but I've valued playability over splash, like I always like to do by the way. This will probably cost me the round, but I don't consider it a mistake. Also, I always liked the support cards better than the Dragons. Elegance and simplicity are a plus, and I think I'm know for valueing them highly. Too bad that often here not even the support cards were simple and elegant. My top 3 is not the best three 3 here but the less worse ones. There only one card I really like in the whole round, and it's Henlock's Augur of the High Peaks. That's an example of the elegance I'm looking for, but it's the only example here.
Critiques
Show
Hide
Real life calls, so very short comments this time.
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
Iceflame Guardian 2UU
Creature - Dragon (U)
Flying
Whenever Iceflame Guardian deals damage to a creature, that creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
1{r/w}{r/w}: Iceflame Guardian deals 2 damage to target attacking creature.
2/4

Taigam, Fist of Ojutai 1WU
Legendary Creature - Human Monk (M)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, exile up to one target creature you control, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
Whenever a Dragon enters the battlefield under your control, look at the top card of your library. If it's an instant or sorcery card, you may reveal it and put it into your hand.
3/3
Guardian: it looks like a nightmare to play against at first reading.
Taigam: it's fine, only the text might be too long. No time now to check with MSE.
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Trance-Wing Tyrant 2BGU
Creature - Dragon {R}
Flying, trample
When Trance-Wing Tyrant becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, gain control of up to one target nonland permanent that player controls.
5/5

Qarsi Wingdredgers 2BB
Creature - Naga Cleric {U}
When Qarsi Wingdredgers enters the battlefield, return target Dragon creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Whenever Qarsi Wingdredgers or a creature put onto the battlefield with it leaves the battlefield, sacrifice the other.
3/3
Tyrant: I see no black here. Trample is green, all the rest blue. Anyway, this also looks a nightmare to play against. I don't know which is worse in that regard, if this or the previous one.
Wing... anyway, the Naga: leaving aside the difficulty of the name for non-native speakers, all is fine except one line: "a creature put onto the battlefield with it", that I think might cause memory issues. I would have liked some kind of counter to be put on the returned creature to help with those.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Lord of Dark Purpose 3W
Creature - Dragon (M)
Flying
Whenever a spell or an ability from another source you control destroys one or more permanents an opponent controls, you may pay BG. If you do, destroy target permanent.
WB, T: Put target permanent card that was put into a graveyard from anywhere this turn onto the battlefield under your control.
Some scalelords questioned Dromoka's hate of necromancy - and then needed to try it to judge for themselves.
3/3

Ainok Trumpeter 1GG
Creature - Hound Warrior Scout (U)
Flash
When Ainok Trumpeter enters the battlefield, untap all creatures you control. Put a +1/+1 counter on each Dragon untapped in this way.
"To arms and to the skies! Let Dromoka's light restore the natural order!"
2/2
Lord: the name definitely sounds like that of a Demon to me, not a Dragon. The trigger is just too confusing.
Ainok: I love the Ainok as a race. "in this way" should just be "this way". No problems with this card except for the typo.
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Atarka's Formcaller 3GUR
Creature — Dragon (Rare)
Flying
Devour 1 (As this creature enters the battlefield, sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
Atarka's Formcaller has hexproof as long as you control a face down creature.
When Atarka's Formcaller enters the battlefield, manifest the top card of your library for each creature it devoured. (Put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature. Turn it face up any time for its mana cost if it's a creature card.)
4/4

Dragon's Offering 3G
Creature — Bear (Uncommon)
Trample
Dragon spells you cast cost 4 less to cast.
Whenever you cast a Dragon spell, sacrifice Dragon's Offering.
First come, first feasted.
4/3
Formcaller: the card is fine, but the text is way too long, and I don't even need MSE to know it's too much.
Offering: the name doesn't sound like a creature, even if I understand the intended flavor, like Dragon Fodder. I'm not a fan of this card though. A 4 mana discount for Dragons still looks too much to me even if you can only do it once. And then you can always reanimate it and do it again. Again, not a fan of it.
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
Dread Encircler 1RWB
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flying, first strike
Whenever a Dragon you control attacks, choose target creature an opponent controls. Until end of turn, you choose how that creature blocks. Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control that dealt damage to it this turn.
Some of Kolaghan's brood acquired a sense of tactics that their mother lacked.
3/3

Devotee of the Scale W
Creature - Human Warrior (U)
Whenever a Dragon you control becomes the target of a spell or ability with a single target you don't control, you may have Devotee of the Scale become the target of that spell or ability if able.
"Our lives are but sparks of the lives of dragons. If their flame goes out, so will all of ours."
2/1
Encircler: Not a fan of the implied play pattern of this card either. The text is also long and a bit too complex.
Devotee: The trigger will confuse less experienced player for sure. I personally have no problem with it.
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Vertica, the Enlightening2wur
Legendary Creature - Dragon (m)
Flying
When Vertica, the Enlightening enters the battlefield, exile cards from the top of your library equal to your life total.
When Vertica, the Enlightening deals combat damage to an opponent or planeswalker, choose up to three cards exiled with it. You may play those cards this turn.
5/5

Augur of the High Peaks 1r
Creature - Human Cleric (u)
Reach
Whenever a Dragon attacks, scry 1.
2/2
Vertica: it reads almost shocking, but thinking about it becomes more reasonable.
Augur: easily the best card in the whole round for me.
Top 3

1st place: Henlock (the Augur brought you here at the first place, not the Dragon.)
2nd place: Ink-Treader
3rd place: Raikourider
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Dragon: I almost feel effects that potentially punishing might as well be hexproof. But it's definitely possible to work around it.
Non-Dragon: I like this. It's a nice and simple design.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Dragon: A rather nasty deterrent late game, but not too strong before then.
Non-Dragon: A fun build around. Nothing else to really say.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Dragon: For the dash cost this is pretty fun. At the standard mana cost, this seems a tad expensive. Would this be too dangerous for Limited at uncommon? I'm not so sure.
Non-Dragon: I was actually pretty curious about how many cards actually give off color keywords for the land condition as opposed to the usual P/T boost. Turns out Worldwake had a cycle of them. This is probably fine with that in mind. In fact it's pretty neat.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Dragon: Looks powerful, but not having any innate protection to cover the potential drawback helps hold it back. It also can't reserve counterspells for an opponent's turn.
Non-Dragon: It feels weird in red, but it's not out of pie at all. Red needs more interesting yet simple cards like this.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Dragon: There's a lot going on here. It's certainly interesting, especially since two of these can ping pong the triggered ability until your out of mana.
Non-Dragon: Nice and simple. I'd expect this more in white, but certainly works in green. Would definitely be amusing to combo with.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Dragon: That's a lot of spicy stuff going on, especially if you have some tokens to sacrifice. Wordy though, might be able to eschew the hexproof clause and drop a mana. It'd still feel like its colors.
Non-Dragon: The discount could probably be 1 less, but otherwise this is a pretty cute card.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. Subject16
3. Henlock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Dragon: Not the most exciting rare, and hardly revolutionary (as you noted in your later critiques).
Other: Quite reminiscent of the last round. Also kind of a flavor fail to have a Kolaghan/Mardu card that's worried about scales, which are more of an Dromoka/Abzan thing.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Dragon: Fun twist on Leovold, Emissary of Trest. A huge bomb in draft, but not truly unbeatable.
Other: Really like the idea, although the phrasing is a bit clumsy -- would probably be easier if you put the two abilities in the same line.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Dragon: Kind of an odd card, with a lot of text on it. There's an idea there, but all the extra stuff needed to balance it ends up muddying the picture.
Other: Fun, simple card. I like it.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Dragon: Absolutely nuts card in limited - should definitely be mythic. If you have just two other creatures on the battlefield when you play it, you almost auto-win.
Other: Would have preferred it if it were more like a Generator Servant for Dragons - as is, it's a real feel bad if you have the mana for your dragon anyway but don't want to cast it so you don't have to sacrifice your beater.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Dragon: Fun little mini-Odric, Master Tactician for dragons. Not sure it needs the Baron Sengir text.
Other: Feels like it could just be a kind of Flagbearer except for dragons and would be simpler, but the idea is good.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Dragon: Seems very win-more: if your opponent can get in its way, it seems just as likely to kill you as it is to kill your opponent, especially in limited. If they can't, then you're going to bury them in card advantage.
Other: I am less enamored of this than the other judges seem be so far. I don't understand why your opponents' dragons attacking you should give you a scry, and that seems to be the only novel aspect of it.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. RaikouRider
3. void_nothing

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

This round's feedback is closed. Top 4 will be posted shortly.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”