Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

CCL March Top 4/Round 4

"Once and Future"

Syr Elenora, the Discerning, taken from Art of MTG, by Mila Pesic and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Mythos Month here in the CCL! Everyone knows Magic draws heavily on real-world mythology to make its settings and stories. In this month we'll be doing what R&D's Creative department does - adapting myth-based concepts from around the world into the multiverse of Magic.

Challenge
Design two cards, each based on a character, item, or place from Arthurian mythology. You must make one character and one item, one item and one place, or one place and one character.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
  • Your card can, flavorfully speaking, be set on Eldraine or any other plane.
Your submissions are due Monday, March 30th, 23:59 EST.
Contestants:
@netn10
@slimytrout
@jamblock
@Subject16

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (March 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due March 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (March 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due March 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (March 27th–30th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due April 1st)
  • Final (April, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Syr Bartelack, the Verdant 2GG
Legendary Creature - Plant Knight (R)
Undying (When this creature dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it.)
When Syr Bartelack, the Verdant enters the battlefield, if it has a +1/+1 counter on it, it fights up to one target creature you don't control.
4/3

Shadow-Shroud Dagger 1UB
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature has hexproof and can't be blocked.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, unattach Shadow-Shroud Dagger. If you do, that player sacrifices a creature.
Equip 2
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Loomweaver of Kenrith 2W
Creature - Faerie Wizard (Rare)
Flesh
Flying
Noble permanents you control are indestructible.
To the kingdom's enemies, winning is a fata morgana.
2/2

Stone of Eternal Lovers 1WB
Artifact (Rare)
When Stone of Eternal Lovers enters the battlefield, choose two target creatures you control.
At the end of each turn, if one of the chosen creatures is on the battlefield and the other one died, return it to the battlefield.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Camelin, King's Seat
Land (Rare)
T: Add C. If you're the monarch, add one mana of any color instead.
4, T: If you're the monarch, create a 2/2 white Knight creature token with vigilance. Otherwise, you become the monarch.
"Royalty is not a choice, but a right."
—Algernus Kenrith

Syr Maloch, the Queen's Lance 2RW
Legendary Creature — Human Knight (Rare)
Whenever you gain life, Syr Maloch, the Queen's Lance gains indestructible until end of turn.
1RW: Syr Maloch, the Queen's Lance fight target attacking or blocking creature an opponent controls.
Ever faithful to queen Linden, Syr Maloch stopped at nothing to see the King returned to her.
4/3
Last edited by Subject16 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@jamblock - Are you still able to participate? Going to extend another 24 hours because I didn't check in last night.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, looks like jamblock couldn't make this round. Critique both of the other contestants please and score them 1 and 2! You can have until the 4th.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Loomweaver of Kenrith: From the flavor text, clearly a Morgan Le Fay top-down design, but a) that character is definitely not mono-white and b) she already has a legendary treatment as Ayara, First of Locthwain who is, much more fittingly, mono-black (see MTG wiki). As far as the actual card goes, it would definitely be fun in a brand-new Noble tribal deck, although not the most innovative mechanically.
Stone of Eternal Lovers: Not sure I recognize what this is based off of, but I don't doubt it exists -- Arthurian mythology is not my strong suit. As for the card, it has some real rules problems, since creatures aren't the same objects in the graveyard, so it would be impossible for the stone to "find" the dead creature (see Rekindling Phoenix). There are some ways around this (fancy exiling tricks, choosing card names instead of cards, others that I haven't thought of) but this card as written would not work, and it would probably be quite difficult to capture exactly the functionality you're going for.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Camelin, the King's Seat: Clear Camelot reference. Probably a good bit too strong -- compare it to Arch of Orazca and you'll see what I mean. But definitely a fun and innovative idea, with good flavor.
Syr Maloch, the Queen's Lance: Pretty sure this is Lancelot, although the card (probably appropriately) recasts his adulterous affair with the Queen as simply being her devoted servant. Nice that it has a good combo with Linden, the Steadfast Queen, which I'm sure was intentional. This is much better than an earlier version that I saw, which would have had the potential to machine gun the opponent's entire board if it was given lifelink.
1. Subject16
2. netn10

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Subject16: The first card is Throne of the High City but much, much better. As with all monarch cards, it's probably unprintable in standard or any 1vs1 format, and it would be playable in any commander deck.

The second card is interesting but it might confuse new players - if you give it lifelink and then fight, your creature can die anyway because it will gain indestructible only after the fight. Otherwise it's a simple Boros commander, nothing groundbreaking.

Slimytrout: The first card is very interesting, simple and efficient. Looks playable in standard at least, green knights that makes sense are always welcome and fighting only the second time it enters the battlefield is a nice twist on etb effects.

The second card have no business in being and uncommon, in my opinion. It's a repeatable removal and evesion. Invisible Stalker is miserable to play against in limited and this card is on par with it. Other then that, nice flavour, looks powerful and exciting equipment, we need more cool equipments.

1. Slimytrout
2. Subject16

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Note that I'm a little versed in arthurian mythos, but not enough to automatically spot what the reference might be.

Slimytrout: Syr Bartelack is a very cool take on the Green Knight, especially with using undying as a showcase for his "transformation". It makes sense to curb the etb to the second time he enters the field, he would otherwise be a bit too pushed. Even though it's a strong card, I feel like it could have been more interesting?

The Shadow-Shroud Dagger being king arthur's dagger Canwennan is a very cool choice to choose, but it's definitely too strong a card. The Whispersilk Cloak-like abilities are very nice, but you're essentially paying 2 mana every turn for an unblocked attack and a forced sacrifice. Combine that with granting hexproof and being an uncommon would definitely be problematic. A toned-down version of this would be fantastic though.

netn10: Loomweaver of Kenrith isn't where I would have taken a Morgana LeFay design. The card itself is fine (though I would have preferred legendary permanents over noble ones, or both), but flavorly it doesn't speak to me. Early writings on her do put her as being a "fairy godmother" of sorts, protecting and even bestowing gifts to knights and kings (needless to say I was going to do a Morgana card as well), and this is a nice angle to give her. Later texts turn her into an antagonist, spiteful, ambitious and passionate which would be more fitting of a black or rakdos character.

The Stone of Eternal Lovers I feel might be a reference to Arthur's Stone? I'm not entirely sure where the mythos lies here, but mechanically this poses memory issues, though I like the idea of a selective Lifeline. Perhaps using counters as a means of keeping track of which two creatures you chose might have been easier?

Top 2:
1: Slimytrout
2: netn10

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our finalists are slimytrout and Subject16! Round will be out in the morning.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”