March MCC, Round 3: Lorwyn Calling

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Banner based on Chance Encounter by Mark Brill and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
March MCC, Round 3 - Lorwyn Calling

Welcome to the March MCC! It's Fortune Month here at the MCC. With the chances of March going in like a lion and out like a lamb being even, with March 17 being associated with the luck of the Irish, with Friday the 13th falling this month and many other luck-based traditions including on Annunciation, it's time to explore the role of chance in Magic!

Main Challenge: Design a card that can cause its controller to clash with an opponent.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is legendary.
Subchallenge 2: Your card can cause its controller to clash with an opponent multiple times in one turn (while it's the same object; see clarifications)

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, March 28th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Tuesday, March 31st 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Subchallenge 2: A card that says "When this enters the battlefield, clash..." would not count even though it can cause multiple clashes if it's bounced or blinked. A card that says, for example, "For each creature you control, clash..." or "4W: Clash..." would count towards this subchallenge.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
slimytrout
Ink-Treader

Players:
@Ryder
@jamblock
@Henlock
@RaikouRider
@bravelion83
@Stankweed Imp
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Deron, Packmaster Recruiter 3BG
Legendary Creature — Elf Warrior (R)
Whenever another nontoken Elf creature enters the battlefield under your control, clash with an opponent. If you win, create a 1/1 green Elf Warrior creature token and the player you clashed with discards a card. (Each clashing player reveals the top card of their library, then puts that card on the top or bottom. A player wins if their card had a higher converted mana cost.)
"Yes, you're beautiful enough. Come with me."
3/3
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Illulia of Nighthearth 1BR
Legendary Creature - Elemental Shaman {R}
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell from your hand, clash with an opponent. If you win, exile that spell card as it resolves with a luck counter on it.
Sacrifice Illulia: This turn, you may cast exiled cards you own with luck counters on them without paying their mana costs. Activate this ability only if you've clashed and won three or more times this turn.
3/3
Last edited by RaikouRider 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Mihr, the Disputer UU
Legendary Planeswalker — Mihr (R)
+1: Clash with an opponent. (Each clashing player reveals the top card of their library, then puts that card on the top or bottom. A player wins if their card had a higher converted mana cost.)
-1: Clash with an opponent. If you win, you may draw a card.
-4: Until your next turn, whenever an opponent casts a spell, clash with that player. If you win, you may counter that spell.
Last edited by Ryder 4 years ago, edited 14 times in total.

Stankweed Imp
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Stankweed Imp » 4 years ago

Oona, Faerie Manipulator
Legendary Creature- Faerie Spirit (M)
Flying
At the beginning of your end step, if a player was dealt combat damage by three or more Faeries this turn, scry 3.
Whenever ~ becomes tapped or untapped you may clash with an opponent. If you win return target non-land permanent to its owners hand and you lose life equal to it's converted manacost.
4/4
"Her consciousness still intact Oona and her new clique manipulate and plot to make her whole again."
Last edited by Stankweed Imp 4 years ago, edited 8 times in total.

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

Siv-Rinda's Daggers 2R
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each charge counter on Siv-Rinda's Daggers and has double strike.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player or permanent, clash with that player or that permanent's controller. If you win, put a charge counter on Siv-Rinda's Daggers.
Equip 3

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Suori, Interplanar Warden 1wu
Legendary creature - Bird Wizard Advisor (r)
Flash
Flying
Planeswalker spells cost 1 more to cast.
Grandeur - Discard another card named Suori, Interplanar Warden: Clash with an opponent. If you win, counter up to one target planeswalker spell or activated ability of a planeswalker.
3/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The round is closed. This is the versus round. Each contestant will be paired with another one at random and each pairing will be judged by two of the judges. The highest total score in each pairing will move on to the finals. Here are the judging assignments:

void_nothing:
bravelion83 vs. RaikouRider
Stankweed Imp vs. jamblock

slimytrout:
Stankweed Imp vs. jamblock
Ryder vs. Henlock

Ink-Treader:
Ryder vs. Henlock
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

All done
Ryder vs. Henlock
Show
Hide
Ryder
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - There's not much going on here for Timmy. Sure clash can be fun, but the payoffs are rather small. Johnny can definitely have some fun setting up optimal clashes, especially with the trio of existing cards that care about clashing, and playing stuff like mill to mitigate aiding the opponent. Spike isn't terribly fond of this even if clash can be played around, since clash can help set up your opponent's draws.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The first ability is elegant enough, but it feels weird to clash and get... nothing.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - The clash and do nothing if you win isn't something we'd likely see printed. Okaun, Eye of Chaos and Zndrsplt, Eye of Wisdom do something similar with coin flips, but the big difference is that they have another ability that can respond to them. Rare seems fine for something like this, but mythic could be justifiable due to its low cost.
(2/3) Balance - On its own, it's kind of underwhelming. The first ability essentially is "You and an opponent of your choice scry 1.", except that everyone gets to see what the cards are and whether or not you keep them on top. The -1 is nice. The ultimate will generally be treated as an AoE Silence. The ultimate could get a little nasty in somewhat more casual formats like Commander. Proliferate and the like will allow someone to spam that ultimate, though it's far from a certainty unless one has a way to keep some expensive on top of their library. Overall, I think this is just fine for typical Constructed formats, but more casual formats might find people breaking this.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This does some very blue things, but it definitely feels quite unique.
(3/3) Flavor - Their title works well, if a bit on the nose.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Indeed
(2/2) Subchallenges - It's legendary, and can certainly cause multiple clashes in one turn.

Total: 21.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - All in all this definitely a pure Spike card. Timmy isn't excited by this at all, and at best it's a tool for Johnny, and not a particularly interesting one.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Flash lacks synergy with the third ability, and honestly isn't terribly synergistic with the Grandeur ability either. Nothing wrong with a flash flier, but when there's a lot of abilities tacked on, one might expect them to work better with flash.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Seems color appropriate, and the rarity is correct. My only issue is that the clash feels tacked on here. I could see this printed without it.
(2.5/3) Balance - It's a 3/1 flash flier for 3. The most comparable card is Vendilion Clique, as far as having additional upside. This has a narrower effect, but it's a pretty potent one. I'd like to see how this would perform without the clash honestly. Having to discard a card for a mere chance to counter something feels bad. But it would probably see constructed play as a solid beater.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - There's not a lot of planeswalker hosers (The Immortal Sun is the first thing that comes to mind, and that's much broader), and this does it in its own way.
(2/3) Flavor - An interplanar warden not being a planeswalker is weird. Vorthos would certainly be asking why. The abilities do make sense otherwise.

Polish
(2.25/3) Quality - Creature should be capitalized in the typeline. Brown Ouphe suggests that the last ability should be worded something like "activated ability from a planeswalker source"
(2/2) Subchallenges - Legendary and can clash multiple times

Total: 19.25/25
Show
Hide
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes it well enough. He can earn a steady stream of additional Elves and make opponents discard. Johnny can appreciate setting up to always win clashes, and can pair the tokens and discards with appropriate engines, and certain clash payoffs. Spike wishes it did something immediately, and finds the clash somewhat unsatisfying in a deck that's likely otherwise running lower CMC's, but the card advantage should it get to stick around can go places.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A lot is going on with the one ability, but it's parseable. It gets a bit texty though, the flavor text should probably be culled.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Fits right in its colors no problem, and rare seems fine.
(2.5/3) Balance - It's certainly not bad. I find this somewhat tough to evaluate simply because Elves are known for ramp, and this can probably come down quick enough for the discard to be relevant. I suspect the clash might not be necessary. Otherwise, it could count itself for its ability and possibly be fine.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Feels a bit like Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, which is likely deliberate, and there's other comparable cards for the individual effects. Still, it does manage to break away a fair bit.
(1.5/3) Flavor - The one Packmaster makes wolves, so that this one makes Elves is somewhat odd. If I'm parsing the flavor correctly though, this isn't a Packmaster that's recruiting, it's someone who recruits Packmasters. The abilities still feel somewhat weird with that in mind; I feel this wants to be some kind of eyeblight hunter instead.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - There aren't currently any cards that make use of the "the player you clashed with" wording. Captivating Glance suggests that "that player" could suffice.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Certainly a legendary card that can cause many clashes in one turn.

Total: 20.5/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy and Johnny see this as a lot of fun. Spike doesn't care for how much luck this seems to require.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A bit long in the text, but otherwise fine.

Development
(2/3) Viability - I get that it's black because it'd be weird if the character wasn't, but there's nothing really black about this. Rare works, but I feel this could be punched up to mythic with its flashiness.
(1.5/3) Balance - Clash makes this harder to break, but when it does break, it breaks big. It's hard to say if this would be playable in contructed; it depends on how easy it is to keep winning clashes. It is nice that it dying doesn't lose you access to the exiled cards; Commander approves.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This stands out pretty well I'd say.
(1.5/3) Flavor - There is a danger in picking an established character (though I will say I am surprised she doesn't have a card). This is cool and flashy, but this lacks any sort of suffering flavor beyond perhaps the sacrifice at the end. The flavor text attributed to her suggests being quite fond of causing others to suffer.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Feather, the Redeemed suggests it should be worded "exile that card" not "exile that spell card". I'm fairly certain "Until end of turn" is the correct wording over "This turn"
(2/2) Subchallenges - One legendary card with much clashing possibility in a single turn.

Total: 18.5/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification
Results
Show
Hide
Ryder:21.5 vs. Henlock:19.25

bravelion83:20.5 vs. RaikouRider:18.5
Last edited by Ink-Treader 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Stankweed Imp
Show
Hide
Oona, Faerie Manipulator
Legendary Creature- Faerie Spirit (M)
Flying
At the beginning of your end step, if a player was dealt combat damage by three or more Faeries this turn, scry 3.
Whenever ~ becomes tapped or untapped you may clash with an opponent. If you win return target non-land permanent to its owners hand and you lose life equal to it's converted manacost.
4/4
"Her consciousness still intact Oona and her new clique manipulate and plot to make her whole again."
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal – Timmy definitely likes this – a big flyer with strong tribal rewards. Spike also likes it – an efficiently costed threat that also generates card and tempo advantage. Johnny finds it a little too straightforward, but they don't mind rifling through their deck very quickly so it could be worse.
(2/3) Elegance – Basically makes sense – a lot of text but it's all straightforward. However, there's nowhere near enough room for flavor text – this card would for sure have to be microtext to fit everything.

Development
(2/3) Viability – This is a design for a U/B gold card, not a U/B hybrid card – black doesn't have access to bounce, and blue doesn't lose life like that. Mythic is probably fine, given its sheer efficiency.
(3/3) Balance – Definitely not a card you'd like to see your opponent slam on turn 4 in limited, but mythic helps make up for that. Strong card but almost certainly wouldn't be oppressive in standard given no ETB effect and the high tribal threshold to turn it on.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness – The tribal trigger is right off Admiral Beckett Brass, but most of the other stuff is pretty new.
(2/3) Flavor - Two problems here: one, the flavor text should definitely not be a quote. Quotes on creatures should almost always come from that creature, but why would Oona be saying that about herself? And two, I looked up Oona to check on where her character was left, and I found that the last line of the MTG Wiki entry about her was too similar to your flavor text to be coincidence. Obviously fine to take inspiration from things like this, since it's nearly impossible to keep track of all the various magic lore that's accumulated over the last twenty years, but this is a little too close to plagiarism for me to let it go by.
Polish
(0/3) Quality – MCC doesn't accept ~ in place of card name (-0.5), comma needed after "if you win" (-0.5), no hyphen in "nonland" (-0.5), apostrophe needed in "owner's" (-0.5), no apostrophe in that version of "its," (-0.5) space needed in "converted mana cost" (-0.5), plus the flavor text should be above the p/t, but there are no points left to deduct, so I'll stop there.
(2/2) Main Challenge – Yep.
(2/2) Subchallenges – Double yep.

Total: 18/25
jamblock
Show
Hide
Siv-Rinda's Daggers 2R
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each charge counter on Siv-Rinda's Daggers and has double strike.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player or permanent, clash with that player or that permanent's controller. If you win, put a charge counter on Siv-Rinda's Daggers.
Equip 3
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal – Timmy definitely likes this – it makes their creatures hit really hard. Spike is a little more on the fence – they don't love the time, mana, and luck that are required to get it going, but they do like that it will eventually win the game in any creature matchup. Johnny doesn't see anything to like.
(1.5/3) Elegance – All of the previous cards that think about double strike and dealing combat damage only applied to players, mostly because people will be a little confused about what happens when the opposing creature dies in the first strike step. An even bigger problem arises here because the creature could grow in size between the first strike and regular combat steps, which would cause a lot of terrible blocks. Finally, a little awkward to say "combat damage to a player or permanent," since it's hard to imagine what else could be dealt combat damage (I know it was necessary for the next clause, but still a bit inelegant).

Development
(3/3) Viability – Red should work for this. Eventually the buff will get a little bigger than red can usually do, but it takes enough build-up to get there that I think it's fine. Rare is also correct.
(2.5/3) Balance – Probably reasonable in limited, but definitely unplayable in constructed. Compared to Embercleave, which gives +1/+1 right off the bat, has a cost discount, has flash, and equips right away when it ETB's, this is a lot weaker, and that card has definitely seen some play but doesn't seem overpowered.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – Various elements have been taken from other cards (Prophetic Flamespeaker, Embercleave, Banshee's Blade), but the overall card hasn't been done before.
(2.5/3) Flavor – I assume Siv-Rinda is a member of the Mirran resistance, given the choice of charge counters, but probably would have been better to pick an existing character since it's hard to get a sense of who Siv-Rinda is just from their daggers.
Polish
(3/3) Quality – I don't see any problems.

Total: 20/25
Ryder
Show
Hide
Mihr, the Disputer UU
Legendary Planeswalker — Mihr (R)
+1: Clash with an opponent. (Each clashing player reveals the top card of their library, then puts that card on the top or bottom. A player wins if their card had a higher converted mana cost.)
-1: Clash with an opponent. If you win, you may draw a card.
-4: Until your next turn, whenever an opponent casts a spell, clash with that player. If you win, you may counter that spell.
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal – Spike likes all the card filtering and choices that come with this. Johnny also likes the filtering but would prefer if it actually *did* something. Timmy has no interest.
(2/3) Elegance – Inexperienced players are going to be confused by the first ability – why would you want to clash for no payoff? It's definitely a clever subversion of the mechanic to just turn it into symmetric and public scry, but I think some people would be pretty weirded out by it.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Definitely blue and mythic, so no problems here.
(1.5/3) Balance – Two-mana planeswalkers are *very* hard to balance between unplayable (Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded) and Legacy powerhouse (Wrenn and Six) and this is no exception. In this case, I think you've fallen more on the too-powerful side of the spectrum. Even with the plus ability being symmetric, there have been too many busted "symmetric" effects for me to think that will keep it under control. Obviously hard for me to know for sure without playtesting, but it's hard for me to picture this being balanced.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – Normally planeswalkers are very easy to make unique, but there have been a number of planeswalkers that plused to scry, which is not very different from this. The most striking similarity is with Jace, Unraveler of Secrets, who pluses to scry, draws cards and ultimates for a counterspell effect. Obviously the cards have substantial differences, but the resemblance is strong enough to earn a deduction.
(3/3) Flavor – Love the idea of a planeswalker whose whole deal is arguing with people.
Polish
(3/3) Quality – I don't see any problems.

Total: 20/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Suori, Interplanar Warden 1wu
Legendary creature - Bird Wizard Advisor (r)
Flash
Flying
Planeswalker spells cost 1 more to cast.
Grandeur - Discard another card named Suori, Interplanar Warden: Clash with an opponent. If you win, counter up to one target planeswalker spell or activated ability of a planeswalker.
3/1
Design
(1/3) Appeal – Spike is fairly happy with a 3-mana 3/1 flash flyer that has some other useful text. Johnny doesn't see any real build-around potential, since it's all built around hating on opposing planeswalkers. Timmy really doesn't like that they won't be able to use the final ability in singleton formats.
(1/3) Elegance – No major problems, but an accumulation of minor ones: hard to fit all those creature types on a type line, confusing to have a cost-changing effect on a flash creature (this has never happened before for a reason), should really be "loyalty ability of a planeswalker" since it's fairly unusual to have a planeswalker with a non-loyalty activated ability, kind of unintuitive that you're allowed to use the Grandeur ability even without anything to counter (similar to the inelegance in Ryder's entry).

Development
(3/3) Viability – Quite Azorius and fine at rare.
(3/3) Balance – I mean, it's a 3-mana 3-powered flyer with flash, so it's going to see play in limited even though the other effects are irrelevant. Could see play in constructed sideboards or in walker-heavy cubes, but hardly overpowered.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness – Strong hints of both Eidolon of Obstruction and Nimble Obstructionist, especially the latter. Clash is absent from both those cards, though, so some credit for that.
(3/3) Flavor – Not sure what world this would belong on, but it's fun to imagine a place where they know about planeswalkers and are trying to keep them out.
Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – Creature should be capitalized in the type line (-0.5).
(2/2) Subchallenges – I mean, you'd need two other copies in your hand to clash twice a turn, but I guess that counts.

Total: 19/25
Results
Show
Hide
jamblock: 20
vs.
Stankweed Imp: 18

Ryder: 20
vs.
Henlock: 19

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Hey, who doesn't like an Elf tribal payoff? Txmmy and Spike both like Elves.dek (Spike slightly less so here because it's a five-mana non-pumping lord) and Jxnny has an interesting and intricate triggered ability to play around with.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A few moving parts here but elegance is hardly harmed badly.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity are spot-on.
(2.5/3) Balance - Would probably be fine in a sane Standard; could be a little oppressive in Commander but thankfully the discard only hits one opponent at a time.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Obvious Nath of the Gilt-Leaf inspiration but that's okay for a Lorwyn Elf lord. The clash is quite interesting.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Good name, flavor text a little too on-the-nose for me.

Polish
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Purely a Txmmy/Jxnny toy for the dream of actually going off with this; Spike finds the ability far too unreliable.
(2/3) Elegance - Several chunks of tracking complexity added.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Definite rare legend, but this is WAY more a UR card than BR.
(2.5/3) Balance - Swingy, but in an underpowered fashion: three-plus free recurred instant/sorceries is a lot, but you have to win a lot of clashes to get there. Unless you can put a card with an unbeatably high CMC on top of your library, it seems pretty hard to achieve the free casts.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Storing spells is an old concept but this is a nice unique way to do it.
(1/.53) Flavor - It's true that Illulia was a cinder mage/leader of the Nighthearth sect on Shadowmoor, but this ability doesn't feel much like her sadistic flavor ("I can stab you where it hurts, or where you will feel absolutely nothing"). Also, Shadowmoor has hybrid and not traditional multicolor - a minor point, but still significant. Illulia was a Brighthearth soulstoke in Lorwyn back as seen on Streambed Aquitects, as well - not very relevant but still interesting.

Polish

Total: 19.5/25
Stankweed Imp
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Kind of an all-rounder! Everybody likes to do crazy stuff with fae sometimes.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A lot going on with both those triggered abilities.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - Rarity's right and flavor seems alright but this should NOT be hybrid; the black bounce would be a blatant color pie violation.
(3/3) Balance - In Standard this card could be a force but thankfully it lacks self-protection. In Commander it seems strong but not that problematic.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Takes a little from sources like Admiral Beckett Brass, but the "tapped or untapped" trigger is quite a unique idea.
(3/3) Flavor - Works for me. This does seem to represent Oona after her defeat.

Polish
(0/3) Quality - Where to start? No break before the dash in the typeline, use of placeholder tildes for the name, no commas in the second triggered ability, "it's" where "its" should be, unpunctuated flavor text with quotation marks that REALLY shouldn't be there (it's only used unattributed when someone depicted in the card itself is speaking: is Oona saying this text?) and flavor text placed below p/t. Way too many proofreading errors here, and please check your grammar.

Total: 19.5/25
jamblock
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Primarily a Txmmy (obvious reasons)/Jxnny (proliferate bait!) item. Spike could sort of get behind it but the marquee ability is way too luck-based for them.
(2/3) Elegance - Clashing repeatedly by design is time-consuming, and changing p/t in between the combat damage steps is a strange thing.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely red, definitely rare.
(3/3) Balance - Don't see anything to complain about here.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Really neat. There are some other double strike-granting Equipment but this has a lot of cool features.
(2/3) Flavor - I'm not really sure who Siv-Rinda is, but I sort of get their character coming through from the daggers.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looking good.

Total: 22.5/25

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”