Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

CCL March Signups/Round 2

"Treasures of the Devas"

Champion's Helm, taken from echomtg.com, by Lindsey Look and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Mythos Month here in the CCL! Everyone knows Magic draws heavily on real-world mythology to make its settings and stories. In this month we'll be doing what R&D's Creative department does - adapting myth-based concepts from around the world into the multiverse of Magic.

Challenge
Design an artifact card based on an object from Hindu mythology.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
  • Your card can, flavorfully speaking, have a Kaladesh setting or any other plane.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Saturday, March 14th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (March 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due March 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (March 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due March 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (March 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due March 29th)
  • Final (Aoril, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Bottomless Vessel 4
Artifact (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a food token.
Whenever you sacrifice a food token, if you don't control food, create a food token.
"A gift to the lord so he may never know hunger."

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

The Chariot of Yayati 5
Legendary Artifact - Vehicle (R)
Protection from nonlegendary creatures
Whenever The Chariot of Yayati enters the battlefield or deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.
Crew 3
4/5

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Iron-Blade Grass GW
Artifact (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a colorless Equipment artifact token named Blade. It has "Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has vigilance," and equip 1.
The sentries of Aranand may seem unarmed, but beneath their feet is an armory that could supply an empire.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Avacyn's Impregnible Raiments WW
Legendary Artifact - Equipment {M}
Equipped creature has vigilance and indestructible.
If equipped creature would leave the battlefield, return Avacyn's Impregnible Raiments to its owner's hand instead. You can't cast spells named Avacyn's Impregnible Raiments until the end of your next turn.
Equip 3

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Samba's Gada 3B
Legendary Artifact — Equipment (Rare)
Samba's Gada enters the battlefield under the control of an opponent of your choice.
When Samba's Gada enters the battlefield or when equipped creature dies, attach it to target creature you control.
Equipped creature has "Whenever this creature is dealt damage, sacrifice it."

scarbo

Post by scarbo » 4 years ago

Vana of Jestha 4
Artifact - Flag (R)
Whenever you tap emblazoned land for mana, it produces an additional b for each creature card in your graveyard.
4, t: Target player puts the top four cards of their library into their graveyard.
Emblazon 4 (4: Attach to target land you control. Emblazon only as a sorcery.)

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Wish-Fulfilling Jewel 4
Artifact (Rare)
RG, T, Sacrifice Wish-Fulfilling Jewel: Add five mana of any one color
WUB, T, Sacrifice Wish-Fulfilling Jewel: Search your graveyard and/or library for a card and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library if you searched it
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Crackling Vajra 3
Artifact - Equipment (U)
When Crackling Vajra enters the battlefield, it deals X damage to any target, where X is the amount of R spent to cast it.
Equipped creature gets +3/+0.
Equip 3
A proper divine gift arrives with a demonstration of its power.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Less than 24 hours remain to enter the round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Indra's Net 3
Legendary Artifact (u)
Whenever you draw a card, put a knot counter on Indra's Net.
, Sacrifice Indra's Net: Tap up to X target permanents, where X is equal to the number of knot counters on Indra's Net.
Its only boundary in Indra's whim.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The round is closed! Please critique the six contestants above you on this list, looping to the bottom as necessary.

netn10
jamblock
slimytrout
RaikouRider
Subject16
scarbo
kwanyeegor-ii
Ink-Treader
Henlock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Going to have to do a lot of Wikipedia reading for this round.
jamblock
Show
Hide
Chariot of Yayati: Well, this one is definitely easy to find, as it has the same name as it does in mythology. The downside is that I find that approach to be a little unsubtle, although in this case I certainly understand the impulse. As for the card, I basically like it, although it should definitely be mythic for limited, where it basically has "protection from creatures" and draws you a card every turn.
netn10
Show
Hide
Bottomless Vessel: Ok, this is based on the Akshaya Patra. Other than the turn you play it, and food synergies, this basically just uses a lot of words to say "2: Gain 3 life." Might be fun to play in a food deck, but otherwise not that interesting.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Indra's Net: Another entry that takes its name directly from mythology. It's definitely a fun card concept, although flavorfully I think it's a bit of a miss as Wikipedia says that Indra's Net is "an infinitely large net of cords... which hangs over his palace on Mount Meru... [and] has a multifaceted jewel at each vertex, and each jewel is reflected in all of the other jewels" -- would have been cool to do as some sort of cool combo piece that also had an ensnaring aspect.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Crackling Vajra: Super cool idea. All the aspects mesh together really well, I love it -- no notes.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Wish-Fulfilling Jewel: This has got to be the Cintamani. It's an interesting card concept, but I don't think it quite work, mostly because the card is pretty weak. Both modes (4RG: Add WUBRG and 4WUB: Demonic Tutor/Regrowth) are quite overcosted, and they don't particularly play well together either, so it's hard to picture what deck would want to play this -- maybe some weird version of Eggs?
scarbo
Show
Hide
Vana of Jestha: So, emblazon is just a redo of fortify, right? Except that the artifact also has a tap ability, which would get super confusing -- there's a reason equipment don't have tap abilities, because it would be very visually confusing. Also, since you could keep re-attaching it, this would get out of hand very quickly if you could fill up your yard, which is always a dangerous sentence to write.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. Henlock
3. jamblock

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

InkTreader- Very good utility, I can't say much about except that I really like it. It has a bit of that sunforgery spice to it.

kwanyegor: I think that if you tinkered the costs around and kept it colorless it would have been more solid. The first ability can signify a very good ramp boost and its my favorite, the second seems a bit too expensive and color intensive.

scarbo: This can result in a huge explosion of mana if your graveyard if well fed. Should you tap a land for 7, with four lands would result in a whooping 16 mana. This kind of mana productions is pretty dangerous.

Subject16: I feel this can be exploited as a control tool or serve as an answer to things such as control finishers. While not very effective at any of those roles, the flexibility can be potentially interesting in a limited enviroment.

RaikouRaider: Solid protection that takes care of exile and bouncing. I think the time window sure goes some way into balancing it, but this can lead you into a very hard-to-interact board.

slimytrout: Oretty solid. I take that the Selesnya choice is for flavor reasons, as Boros is thw guild that loves equipment shenanigans. The creation of a flow of artifacts is somwthing to heed, even when it doea it quite slowly.

1. InkTreader
2. Slimytrout
3. Subject16
Last edited by Henlock 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

netn10 - Cool and fitting flavor but might be too easy to get infinite artifact sacs

jamblock - rly efficient and its almost unblockable but i'd love to play it lol

slimytrout - looks like it works great, a nice boost fore equipment decks and fits the colors

RaikouRider - so this is the brahma kavach or something? Only ported to avacyn, actually this is kinda original flavor wise and I like the anti removal

Subject16 - I don't think this flavor totally fits the story, it's not the original gada of samba that destroyed the yadavas according to wiki but its iron... also opponent only equipment feels against what equipment are supposed to do

scarbo - Fells like too much mana accel and also isn't this mechanic just fortify?

1. slimytrout
2. RaikouRider
3. netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

All done
jamblock
Show
Hide
That's a rather potent protection ability to be sure. Certainly a Vehicle that's very worth crewing. Card name is... well identical to one of the treasures. Wish it some more 'speed' flavor as it were.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Neat. Certain Cat cards aside, it's weird seeing this in GW over RW, but I quite like it. Apparently based on Eraka grass. I quite like the flavor.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Certainly a potentially obnoxious piece of protection to deal with, but not impossible. Will be interested in figuring out what this is based off of... which appears to be one of the kavacha? Fair enough.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Interesting. Unfortunate that the moment your opponent runs out of creatures it becomes pointless. I wonder if this could cost less, just because the effect isn't overwhelming without building around. It certainly doesn't need to be legendary (potential flavor issues aside).So it seems based on the cursed mace Samba gave birth to. Yeah this works well enough for that. Could have had a less on the nose name, but it'd have been harder to track down for sure.
scarbo
Show
Hide
Fortify comes to mind, but Flags work as a flavor shift. As for the card, it has one serious problem: the moment you have five or more creature cards in your graveyard, you can constantly move the flag before you tap each land, which can rapidly get out of hand as you get more creatures in the grave.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Seems fine, perhaps even underpowered? The first option isn't terribly powerful, but it's a nice option. The second option is also nice to have. Appears to be the Chintamani.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. RaikouRider
3. Subject16

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

1) netn10
2) Ink-Treader
3) slimytrout

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And here are your top 8 contestants:

Ink-Treader
slimytrout
Henlock
Subject16
RaikouRider
jamblock
kwanyeegor-ii
netn10

Round to come in the morning!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”