January MCC Round 4 - Escape attempt

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

MCC-202001-2.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the cycle of basic lands by Sam Burley.)

January MCC Round 4

Escape attempt

The story continues, but does it end?
Intro
Show
Hide
A chase is underway. Calix is trying to fulfill the purpose for which he was created by Klothys: bringing back Elspeth to the underworld, preventing her from escaping. Okite is trying to accomplish the mission for which Phenax had chosen him, killing Calix to prevent him from preventing Elspeth's escape, having been promised his own escape in exchange.
Okite, with Aktifotas, the two blessed indestructible daggers forged by Purphoros specifically for his mission, wanders the Underworld looking for agents of fate, to kill on sight, and traces of Calix. A single strike of Aktifotas is enough to bring down an ordinary agent of fate. Okite takes advantage of this to try to hit the big target that Phenax gave him: Klothys herself.
"Who are you?"
"My name is Okite."
"'No god'?"
"In fact I have to end you."
"Who sends you?"
"The great Phenax."
"I should have imagined. He will never understand that destiny is to be fulfilled."
"Your destiny is to die. You and your agents."
"Try it. I'm here."
Okite tried to put Aktifotas in Klothys's vital parts, but it was like moving through thin air. Klothys's body wasn't solid. For that reason, a couple of daggers could do nothing against it.
"Try again. Maybe you just had bad luck."
He tried again, but this time, she always appeared to be moving with him, visible yet always unreachable, like the sun or the moon when one is travelling fast.
"See? Destiny is inevitable. I incarnate destiny, and destiny can't die."
"But these are Nyx-forged. They should hit you. They've been made by a god to strike down another."
"My destiny is to live forever, Okite. What's yours?"
"To kill you."
"No. To stay here in the Underworld. You will not escape. Now I will cast a spell on you."
She moved her hands and fingers in an apparently incomprehensible dance.
"I know who you're really after. Calix. My most precious creation. Every time you will meet me or him and lose, you'll be magically transported back to your starting point, where you first met Phenax. You won't be able to escape your destiny, Okite. Now you haven't defeated me, so you will be set back to your starting point. Goodbye, Okite."
A moment later he found himself back in Phenax's lair, but in the absence of the God of Deception.
"I guess I'll better give up the extra goal. Oh well, there are still the others."
He chose to give up on Klothys, concentrating on Calix instead. Phenax's influence let him see a trace right in front of him. He followed the trail, somehow recognizing it was Calix's. Everybody with a destiny web kept going down with a single strike, so that wasn't the problem. That was to be faster than Calix to reach him. He prayed to Phenax:
"O great Phenax, I know it's strange for a leonin to pray a god. But I'm not an ordinary leonin. I am a leonin that has seen the truth. Give me the necessary guidance and speed to reach my enemy."
He started following Calix's mystical traces, running as fast as he had never done in life until he reached him.
"Hey you! I know who you are. You are Calix."
"Yes, that's my name. But you're not my target."
"But you are mine!"
Okite sprinted towards Calix to hit him with Aktifotas, but while he was still running, Calix threw a destiny web on him, and as the web touched him, he found himself back in Phenax's lair. After several times that the scene repeated, with Calix advancing, Okite reaching him, being hit by a web and set back, Okite was able to find Calix in the spot where he was supposed to catch Elspeth.
"Enough is enough. This time I'm going stealthy."
Okite saw a few rocks nearby, and hid behind them, ready to ambush his enemy.
"Look the strangeness of destiny. Klothys would love this. This is the same scene when I died, only with me in the place of that human invoking Heliod, and Calix in my place."
Okite saw Calix's agony.
"He's even in agony, like I was back then. A reversal of fate. Again, Klothys would love this. Who knows, maybe she's the one who arranged for this to happen. Anyway, I have a mission, and he's in agony. I have to take advantage of the situation. Now I leave my hiding spot, and go to kill him."
As he left his hiding spot, Calix suddenly disappeared.
"What? Where has he gone? I've got it, the similarities continue. Jeff too had disappeared while I was in agony, in my last moments of life. I saw it. Is what happened to Jeff and Calix the same? And what was that? And what do I do now?"
Another falling star in the sky. Phenax wanted to talk again.
"Alright, Phenax, I'm coming. Probably I'll be magically brought to your lair in a few moments. Just the time to contemplate the same scene from another point of view."
In fact, in just a few moments, he found himself before Phenax himself.
"So it looks like you've failed."
"I've done my best."
"Why have you gone to Klothys first?"
"You've said she was the extra goal."
"Yes, but not the main goal. To go for the big game, you've lost the meaty one. Tell me, without Klothys's enchantment setting you back each time, your mission would have been easier or harder? And don't try to deceive the God of Deception!"
"Easier."
"So it was a mistake?"
"Probably."
"I'll leave you all doubts: yes, it was a mistake. A fatal mistake. Your mission is failed, thus you stay here."
Okite thought:
"Which is exactly what Klothys wanted."
Meanwhile, Phenax had disappeared from Okite's view. Okite was alone now, his mission unaccomplished. He knows he's condemned to a slow loss of identity, like the other leonin he met earlier. He has only one thing left to do now: lay down on the ground in front of Phenax's now empty lair and look at the starry sky.
"Who knows, maybe one day I will see another falling star."
Instead he saw another thing in the starry sky. Like a projection. He could see the images and hear the sounds.
"What's that? No, please, no! Not my agony scene!"
He had recognized his point of view in the scene of his own death, and he was reliving that. But at a certain point, something happens:
"I'm about to die in that moment. I should see Athreos and his river if this were my story projected in the sky. Instead I still see the same scene, I recognize it, but this is not my point of view. Oh my! Is that my own body? Did Jeff really reduce me to this state? Of course I died, then! Am I seeing things from Jeff's point of view now? I guess so. But wait! The image is changing... What's this, another trick by Phenax? What's that world? What's this? Lanathos?"
While looking at the sky, he was magically seeing everything that Jeff has been through in the meantime, from the perspective of Jeff's eyes and ears, seeing what Jeff has seen, and hearing what Jeff has heard. He kept thinking to himself:
"WHAT?!? An ancestor of Jeff has been a champion of Heliod? So he knows about the gods being real too? But is this reality or imagination? Or hallucination? What's that city? That must be the house of the human that he chose to save. WHAT?!? That's Ajani! That scar on his left eye is unmistakable. Planeswalker? What does that word mean? Oh, here, Ajani is explaining. So this is what happened to Jeff? And are these the real origins of Ajani? More news for the pride, if only I could reach them. But how? I have to do it. With Phenax or not. After all, wasn't Calix after a woman trying to escape by herself? Maybe if she did it, I could too. I have to think about this... Maybe I can find another way to escape. But if I go to them, to my pride, to Oreskos, and I start talking about the gods, that are real, now I know, they kill me again. They don't know about the gods! Would they believe me? I don't think so. Jeff is wanted for that, and for having killed me. After all, we're not as different as I thought. That's why I had to relive that scene in the role of the human behind the rocks observing Calix become a planeswalker too probably. Now I know everything. Now I know the truth. Now I know all that Jeff knows, about the gods, and about planeswalkers. No, we're not different at all. If I had known back then what I know now, I would have totally saved that human, Martin. Now I also know his name and his story. He deserved to be saved, regardless of whether he was calling a god, and one that is real, now I know it. Now I'd totally behave exactly like Jeff did. And Jeff deserves to be readmitted in Oreskos, he was actually right. He did nothing wrong. And if I met him today, I'd behave very differently. I'd try to be his friend before his boss. Actually, he is the only person that can understand me. We both know about the gods and planeswalkers, we are both exiled and wanted in Oreskos. At least, I would be if I mentioned the gods. I wish there was a way to let all the leonin on the mainland know that the gods are real. And I wish to meet again Jeff, the planeswalker. Until I stay here, I can't do anything. I have to try to escape like that woman. Without the help of anybody. I'll think about that. Meanwhile I have learned a lesson: everything that happens depends on your point of view. From his own point of view, Jeff did nothing wrong, but neither did I with the information I had in that moment. But now I see. Now I see that we're definitely not that different. Maybe we've never been. And neither of us will make his way back to Oreskos now. For now. Ever is a long time. And if that woman did it, I can do that too. Somehow."

Main Challenge - Design a mythic rare card that has exactly one of the four named mechanics from THB (Constellation, devotion, escape, Sagas).

Subchallenge 1 - Your card is an Enchantment Creature that does NOT have the "God" or "Elder" creature types.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card has a multicolored color identity.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge

• Your card has to belong at the required rarity. You can't just take Llanowar Elves, put in a mythic rarity instead of common and submit it as is. Or better, you technically can, but expect huge deductions in several areas of the rubric if you do. Trust me, it's not a good idea.

• Your card must have exactly one or the four mechanics from THB: it has to have one (no cards without any of the four mechanics), and it can't have more than one (no mix-and-match cards).

• Your choices have NOT been tracked this month, so don't worry about your past cards this month influencing this round. They don't. If you used the same mechanic on all three previous rounds, you can use it again in this round. You are able to make all four rounds with the same mechanic if you want.

• For Sagas, having the Saga mechanic means that your card is a Saga. It can't simply reference Sagas, it has to be a Saga itself.

Subchallenge 1

• Your card must have both card types "Enchantment" and "Creature" on its type line.

• It can have additional supertypes and/or card types, but pay attention to the length of the type line.

• Your card's subtype(s), or in other words its creature type(s), can be whatever BUT "God".

• Both requirements (being an Enchantment Creature and NOT being a God) must be met at the same time to pass this subchallenge. If only one is met, this subchallenge is failed.

Subchallenge 2

• "Color identity" means that mana symbols in the rules text are also checked in addition to those in the card's mana cost.

• There are multiple ways that a card can have a multicolored color identity, and they are all fine. It can be a multicolored card in itself (aka have a multicolored mana cost, all forms of multicolored costs are allowed, including hybrid), a monocolored card with off-color mana symbols in the rules text, or a colorless card with colored mana symbols of two different colors (or multicolored mana symbols) in the rules text. Anything goes, as long as the result is a multicolored color identity.

If you have any more questions, just ask in the discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, February 1st 2020, 23:59 EST

Judging deadline: Tuesday, February 4th 2020, 23:59 EST

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
Ryder
Sojourner Dusk

PLAYERS

[mention]Gateways7[/mention]
[mention]slimytrout[/mention]
[mention]Subject16[/mention]

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link here and in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Kleantha of Linokos 2GU
Legendary Enchantment Creature — Nymph (Mythic)
Constellation — When Kleantha or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, up to one other target creature loses all abilities and becomes a 2/2 green Boar for as long as Kleantha remains on the battlefield.
"There. Isn't that better?"
2/4

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Heracleia, Laborer of Iroas 2RW
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Demigod (M)
When Heracleia, Laborer of Iroas enters the battlefield, create a red and white Saga enchantment token with "I-XII: If your devotion to red and white is five or greater, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. It gains first strike until end of turn."
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on Heracleia, it deals 1 damage to target opponent and you gain 1 life.
3/3
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Athreos' Condemnation WWBB
Sorcery (mythic)
Choose one —
• Destroy all creatures with power greater than your devotion to white.
• Destroy all creatures with power less than your devotion to black.

bravelion83

The round is still open for about ten hours from this post. I will certainly NOT be around to close the round at the precise time of deadline (midnight EST tonight), I will try to remember to post as soon as I wake up tomorrow (the job I'm starting on Monday forces my sleep schedule to change, some say it's a good thing, but for now I'm living it as a very bad thing and I think I'll go back after the job is over). Anyway, consider the round closed in the moment of the deadline even if I haven't posted yet, and judges can start their work in that same moment. I'm sorry for the inconvenience that my new temporary job might cause, but as I always say, real life has to come first.

EDIT: The round is officially closed. Judging may begin.

Judgments complete.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Kleantha of Linokos 2GU
Constellation — When Kleantha or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, up to one other target creature loses all abilities and becomes a 2/2 green Boar for as long as Kleantha remains on the battlefield.
2/4
Design
Appeal 2/3 - The typical kind of card that Timmy likes to play but hates when played against him. Johnny is thankful the words "you control" are not there after "target creature", he wants to find a way to use this on his own creatures. Spike definitely likes this, that "loses all abilities" is very important to her.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie or the rules. I'm very happy this is a mythic. Why? Go on reading!
Balance 2/3 - Because a card that reminds me of Oko, Thief of Crowns, banned in multiple formats including Standard, isn't the best premise. Yes, it's playable in limited, and in a constellation constructed deck, but Oko's shadows lurks here... No problems in casual of multiplayer, hoping again this doesn't prove as oppressive as Oko.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Oko hits again here, as well as the many transformation spells we've seen through the years. Tying them to constellation is a little bump to the score, but not too much.
Flavor 3/3 - No problems with the card name, flavor text, or card concept.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - You can expect constellation to happen multiple times during this card's life on the battlefield, so it should say "whenever", not "when" (example: Eidolon of Blossoms, -0.5)
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 21/25
slimytrout (DQ)
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
When Heracleia, Laborer of Iroas enters the battlefield, create a red and white Saga enchantment token with "I-XII: If your devotion to red and white is five or greater, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. It gains first strike until end of turn."
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on Heracleia, it deals 1 damage to target opponent and you gain 1 life.
3/3

My fellow judges have rightly brought to my attention that the required THB ability is on the token, not the card itself as the Main Challenge required ("Design a card that has a THB mechanic"), the THB mechanic must be on the card itself, not on a token created by the card. And anyway, even if that was allowed, the token has two THB mechanics, Sagas and devotion, and the Main Challenge also specifies that it must be a single mechanic. Because of these reason, unfortunately, this card is DQ'ed. I do not have the time to judge it out of competition with my new temporary job started today. If one or both of my fellow judges want to do so, they are free to do it.
Gateways7
Show
Hide
Gateways7 wrote:
4 years ago
Sorcery (mythic)
Choose one —
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy wants to play creatures, not destroy them, nut if he has to destroy them this might be a good choice as he can save his own creatures by playing on the devotion values. Johnny can play with how much devotion you have, but this is not really a card for him, but for Spike, and she really likes as long as's able to pay the mana cost.
Elegance 3/3 - I love the symmetry of the two modes.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie. Sweepers tend to be regular rare though, but if you have to have a mythic one this fits the bill quite well.
Balance 2.5/3 - A wrath costing WWBB... where have I already seen it? But no problem, this is a completely different thing. Still, there is a thing to note: if you have zero devotion to white (very easy to do, just don't play white permanent), and choose the first mode, this is just an ordinary wrath. I don't know if this was intended or not, but I feel like it's a very relevant fact. The mana cost restricts this card's playability in limited. I can definitely see this in Standard. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - A modal conditional wrath with mirrored modes tying power to devotion. I can't remember or gind anything similar.
Flavor 2/3 - Ok, the name and card concept make sense given Athreos's role to transport the dead into the underworld. What I would have really liked to see here is some flavor text, for which there is certainly room here.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - The proper name Athreos is singular, so the possessive form in the name should be "Athreos's" (-0.5).
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Multicolored but not an enchantment creature.
TOTAL 21.5/25
Results
Show
Hide
Gateways7: 21.5
netn10 : 21
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Judgments complete.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Kleantha of Linokos 2GU
2/4
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Johnny enjoys turning his 1/1s into 2/2s. Both Jenny and Spike appreciate a reactive card in GU that can be used repetitively.
Elegance 1.5/3 - Memory issues are a pretty big thing with Kleantha. I can already picture many players arguing whether a creature is a boar or not. The ability should put a distinctive counter on the transformed creatures, like Aven Mimeomancer.

Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems here, very Mythic.
Balance 3/3 - It has an effect that may be oppressive if left unchecked. Fortunately, when Kleantha dies, all is reversed. Due to this and her being a creature, Oko, Thief of Crowns syndrome is not to be worried about. I'd say it's perfectly balanced.

Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - We've seen some transformation spells and more permanent effects, but Boars are a pretty cool addition to the array.
Flavor 2/3 - It's a very good concept, but I find the flavor text severely lacking, if not just lazy.

Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - Whenever instead of when.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Met.

TOTAL 20/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
3/3
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Timmy would definitely enjoy to create a mighty 15/15 Heracleia. Johnny could use it both as a counter generating effect and a token receiver, but knows better build-around cards. Not reliable enough for Spike.
Elegance 0.5/3 - I doubt this could be printed due to "I-XII" rules text. Sagas use their own template and using a text equivalent looks just ugly. What's more, it really hurts that none of Heracleia's abilities work if she gets no support.

Development
Viability 2/3 - Fine, color-wise. As for rarity, this should definitely be a regular Rare. The card is at its best in Limited.
Balance 2/3 - Devotion is the part that makes nearly unplayable in constructed. Which is extra bad since Devotion was supposed to be the core of the challenge. When you cast a 4cmc Legendary on an empty board you expect it to be more than a 3/3 vanilla. That said, great in Limited, where you're sure to have that devotion stacked rather easily. Overall, fair enough.

Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Saga tokens warrant full points here.
Flavor 3/3 - Excellent reference to the Hercules's twelve labors, great work!

Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good except for the Saga chapters, but I won't punish you doubly for it.
Main Challenge 1/2 - At the very least it violates the spirit of the challenge. It clearly references two mechanics.

TOTAL 18/25
Gateways7
Show
Hide
Gateways7 wrote:
4 years ago
Sorcery (mythic)
Choose one —
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Tammy loves a splashy Wrath that may spare his favorite creatures. Johnny could use it in one of his very tailored decks. Spike appreciates the versatility.
Elegance 3/3 - Perfect symmetry, excellent.

Development
Viability 2.5/3 - A perfect WB sweeper. Should be a regular Rare though.
Balance 2/3 - For the great flexibility it offers, it should cost 5 in my opinion. It's usable in all kinds of decks: Aggro/Weenie, Midrange and Control.

Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - A WB counterpart of Heaven // Earth. Tying the effects to devotion makes the card completely unique. Nicely done.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Good at picturing Athreos's being unfazed by the power and justice of mortals. He can bring any of them into his realm. Could use some flavor text.

Polish
Quality 2/3 - Athreos's in the name. Since it's the name, I shall shave a full point off.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Met.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Multicolored but not an enchantment creature.

TOTAL 20.5/25
Results
Show
Hide
Gateways: 20.5
Subject16: 20
slimytrout: 18

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: This is primarily a card for J, though S might be willing to implement it in a Simic shell. It isn't splashy enough for T.
(2.5/3) Elegance: Long-winded but straightforward.

Development
(3/3) Viability: Much like Oko, neutering multiple creatures is very Simic and Mythic.
(2.5/3) Balance: Much like Oko, this can quickly start dominating when it hits the board. Unlike Oko, it's easier to remove, and the effects aren't permanent. Being both an Enchantment and Creature that doesn't permanently alter the creatures, it is far more balanced than Ban King Melodias Oko.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness: This is a less-broken Oko, which will immediately trigger headaches for those that sat across from the PW coming down on Turn 2.
(2/3) Flavor: Circe as a card. Flavor text could have been more.

Polish
(2/3) Quality: "Whenever Kleantha or another..."
(2/2) *Main Challenge: Mythic. Constellation.
(2/2) Subchallenges: Enchantment Creature w/o barred subtype. Bicolor.

Total: 19/25
slimytrout - DQ
Show
Hide
Polish
(2.5/3) Quality: Missing em dash between types and subtypes.
(0/2) *Main Challenge: The card itself does not use Constellation, devotion, escape, or Saga. The token it creates is a Saga with devotion. This fails the main challenge from two perspectives, even if the token creation was ruled a valid use. Devotion is not mechanically linked to the card itself, which is doubly odd as it is a Demigod.

Compare it to Voice of Resurgence. If the challenge was to create a card that cares about the number of creatures you control, would that qualify? Though the token it creates does, the card itself does not. From my point of view, it would fail that challenge. The same metric should be applied to this card.
(1/2) Subchallenges: Demigod does not skirt the first challenge. Bicolor.

Total: DQ/25
Gateways7
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: This looks like a card for S, but it's actually for J. T doesn't play boardwipes.
(3/3) Elegance: The card is easily understood.

Development
(2/3) Viability: Orzhov colors are the home of boardwipes. This is comparable to Crux of Fate, or the last two modes of Austere Command, so it would fit better at Rare than Mythic.
(2/3) Balance: I hate Mythic boardwipes, as it's often more to minimize creature removal in Limited than for power level. In Sealed, opening this will usually make me feel bad. In Constructed. this works better with the latter option unless you're building Orzhov Tokens.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness: It's a boardwipe with options, though the devotion is a new twist.
(1/3) Flavor: Flavor text should be present. The card is rather bland otherwise.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality: "Athreos's Condemnation" Daxos's, Iroas's, Mogis's, Purphorous's... plenty of examples from Theros, including the most recent visit.
(2/2) *Main Challenge: Mythic-ish. Devotion.
(1/2) Subchallenges: Sorcery, so whiffed first. Bicolor.

Total: 16.5/25
Scores
Subject16: 19
slimytrout: DQ
Gateways7: 16.5
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

bravelion83

Final results

Subject16; 20 + 21 + 19= 60
Gateways7: 20.5 + 21.5 + 16.5 = 58.5
slimytrout: DQ

Subject16 is the MCC winner for January. Congratulations to him!

Show
Hide

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”