Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

January CCL Top 8

"Creature Comforts"

LsXG4HWCIH_icon.jpg
Sevinne, the Chronoclasm, by Zoltan Boros
Welcome to the Card Creation League!

Theme

This month, the CCL is doing noncreature mechanics -- but this round, we're focusing the creatures that go with them.

Challenge
Design a commander for a deck built around one of the mechanics you used in Round 1 or 2.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Please include a spoiler of the design in your entry that you're referencing so that other competitors don't have to go looking through the previous rounds to figure out what mechanic you're designing around.
  • The card obviously has to be legal as a commander, but whether that is through the normal means (a legendary creature) or through some artificial means (a la Nahiri, the Lithomancer et al) is up to you.
  • Since some of the mechanics might have few (if any) cards, feel free to imagine that you are designing the face of a commander precon themed around the mechanic, so there will be new cards printed with the mechanic.
Competitors:

[mention]Ryder[/mention]
[mention]Ink-Treader[/mention]
[mention]kwanyeegor-ii[/mention]
[mention]void_nothing[/mention]
[mention]Henlock[/mention]
[mention]bravelion83[/mention]
[mention]barbecube[/mention]
[mention]Jimmy Groove[/mention]

Your submissions are due Tuesday, January 21st, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (January 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due January 24rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (January 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due January 30th)
  • Final (End of month, winner determined by public poll)
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Round 1 - Replicate
Show
Hide
Deep Scratches 1G
Sorcery (U)
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.
Replicate 2R (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
"Yes, there are wild bears here in the nearby woods. If you encounter one, consider yourself lucky if a single claw hits you. Most often you will be hit by all claws."
—Takalor, elvish scout
Zarax, Interguild Researcher 2GUR
Legendary Creature — Human (M)
Whenever a spell or a nonland permanent is copied, Zarax, Interguild Researcher deals X damage to each opponent, where X is the number of times that spell or permanent has been copied.
XGUR, T: Copy up to one target instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost X or less. You may choose new targets for the copy. Create a token that's a copy of up to one target nonland permanent with converted mana cost X or less.
The Izzet know that not all experiments are reproducible. The Simic know every form of life is reproducible.
3/4
Note
Show
Hide
Presumably there won't be enough cards to make the replicate themed deck, so this is intentionally broader, to interact with things like, *cough* storm *cough* and things that also copy permanents and not just spells on the stack. Vaguely inspired by Riku of Two Reflections. Also, the lack of "you control" in several places is completely intentional, to allow you to copy things of other players to play politics.
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Fariba, the Unseen 1GWU
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard (M)
Hexproof
Whenever a nontoken Aura is returned to your hand from the battlefield, you may create a token that's a copy of it.
Whenever Fariba the Unseen attacks, you may return target Aura to its owner's hand.
2/2
Render
Show
Hide
Mechanic: Masquerade
Show
Hide
Howling Visage 1G
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Masquerade 2G (2G: If this is in your hand, exchange it with an Aura you own on the battlefield.)
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2, is a Wolf in addition to its types, and can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less.
formerly willows

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Mechanic: Mania
Show
Hide
Witch's Treatment R
Sorcery (C)
Witch's Treatment deals 3 damage to target creature.
Mania (As this spell resolves, put it into its owner's library third from the top.)
People of Redcreek quickly ran out of witches to burn. The stakes continued to rise, however, night after night. Soon, the village was completely devoid of women.
Aurus Stern, Inquisitor 1RWB
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric (R)
First strike, menace, lifelink
At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top three cards of your library. You may reveal any number of cards with mania from among them and put the revealed cards into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
At the beginning of your end step, if you didn't cast a spell with mania this turn, each opponent gains 2 life.
4/4
Last edited by Ryder 4 years ago, edited 16 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Round 2 card - Fortify
Show
Hide
Geomancer's Tower 2
Artifact - Fortification (U)
Whenever fortified land becomes tapped, if it's a Mountain, add R.
3: Until end of turn, fortified land becomes a 3/3 Elemental creature with "{2/R}: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn." It's still a land.
Fortify 2 (2: Attach to target land you control. Fortify only as a sorcery. This card enters the battlefield unattached and stays on the battlefield if the land leaves.)
Ralyn, the Enhancer RGW
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (R)
When Ralyn, the Enhancer enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification card, reveal it, and put in your hand. Then, shuffle your library.
Whenever an enchanted, equipped and/or fortified permanent you control becomes tapped for the first time during your turn, untap it.
2/2
Last edited by Ink-Treader 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Round 2 mechanic: sunburst
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Solar Arquebus 5
Artifact--Equipment (Uncommon)
Sunburst
Equipped creature has "3, T: This creature deals damage to any target equal to the number of charge counters on Solar Arquebus."
Equip 3
Zuln, Troll of the Mana Core 2GG
Legendary Creature--Troll Artificer (Rare)
Zuln, Troll of the Mana Core has hexproof and indestructible as long as there are ten or more charge counters on artifacts you control.
As an additional cost to cast artifact spells, you may pay any amount of mana. If you do, that artifact enters the battlefield with that many additional charge counters on it.
T, Sacrifice an artifact: Add WUBR. Spend this mana only to cast a single artifact spell.
2/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Round 2 - Totem armor
Show
Hide
Butterfly Umbra 2WU
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has flying and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, create a token that's a copy of another target creature or enchantment not named Butterfly Umbra."
Totem armor
Buyin Hant, Umbra Riptide GWU
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Wizard (R)
Whenever an Aura you control attached to a creature you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a number of +1/+1 counters on that creature equal to that Aura's converted mana cost.
U: You may cast enchantment spells this turn as though they had flash.
GW, T: Destroy target enchantment or tapped creature you control and target enchantment or tapped creature you don't control.
2/4
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

[mention]Henlock[/mention] and [mention]Jimmy Groove[/mention]: do you need extra time? Round is supposed to close tonight, so please let me know if you're planning to submit entries.

slimytrout

Well, I'm going to give an extra 24 hours regardless, since I was a little late in reminding people, but after that I'm going to close the round.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Sorry, completely missed the deadline.

Toria, the Lyrist gwu
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Druid (r)
Aura spells you cast have flash and split second.
Whenever an enchanted creature dies, draw a card.
3/4

slimytrout

Round is now closed, with Henlock sneaking in just under the extended deadline ;)

Please critique each other entry and give a T3 (and note the new deadline for critiques of Saturday at 11:59 pm -- let me know if you are going to need an extension).

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Done.
barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Masquerade 2G (2G: If this is in your hand, exchange it with an Aura you own on the battlefield.)

Fariba, the Unseen 1GWU
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard (M)
Hexproof
Whenever a nontoken Aura is returned to your hand from the battlefield, you may create a token that's a copy of it.
Whenever Fariba the Unseen attacks, you may return target Aura to its owner's hand.
2/2
Ok, the synergy is there, especially in the lasy ability. Not the simplest card (not like mine is simple...). I think this has hexproof so that you can put Auras on it without worrying about removal, Auras that you can use for masquerade. I also think the name (that loses a comma in rules text by the way) has kinda already been used for Vraska: Vraska the Unseen. Overall, not bad but it doesn't catch my attention.
Ryder
Show
Hide
Ryder wrote:
4 years ago
Mania (As this spell resolves, put it into its owner's library third from the top.)

Aurus Stern, Inquisitor 1RWB
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric (R)
First strike, menace, lifelink
At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top three cards of your library. You may reveal any number of cards with mania from among them and put the revealed cards into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
At the beginning of your end step, if you didn't cast a spell with mania this turn, each opponent gains 2 life.
4/4
I expected the card to end right before the last ability, that I don't really understand the purpose of. Anyway, the synergy is there and very subtle: if you've already cast a card with mania, looking at the top three means you will necessarily see it again, and get it again. The keywords feel like there are just there to justify the card's rarity to me, but no problems with them. I particularly appreciate the detail that each of them corresponds not to a single color, but to a color pair: first strike is RW, menace BR, lifelink WB. Another detail is that since the cards going to the bottom are three or less the order should be "any order". "Random order" is used for 4+ cards.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
Fortify

Ralyn, the Enhancer RGW
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (R)
When Ralyn, the Enhancer enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification card, reveal it, and put in your hand. Then, shuffle your library.
Whenever an enchanted, equipped and/or fortified permanent you control becomes tapped for the first time during your turn, untap it.
2/2
The first ability is just tutoring. Good, but nothing to say about it. The second ability is where things get interesting. It's Johnny's paradise. Actually, it's pseudo-vigilance, no problems with it either. The biggest problem is that this doesn't feel Naya at all to me. This card should be just monowhite.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 years ago
sunburst

Zuln, Troll of the Mana Core 2GG
Legendary Creature--Troll Artificer (Rare)
Zuln, Troll of the Mana Core has hexproof and indestructible as long as there are ten or more charge counters on artifacts you control.
As an additional cost to cast artifact spells, you may pay any amount of mana. If you do, that artifact enters the battlefield with that many additional charge counters on it.
T, Sacrifice an artifact: Add WUBR. Spend this mana only to cast a single artifact spell.
2/2
Very complicated card with the usual Quality mistakes. I will keep mentioning them everytime, and they alone would cause me not to vote for your card, you should know it by now. In the last ability, I've read WUBR several times before realizing G is missing. Big elegance problem. No, I'm sorry, too many things going on here, and each comes with its own problems. As I don't want this critique to turn into a book, and I also have no will to do that, I'll just end it here.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Totem armor

Buyin Hant, Umbra Riptide GWU
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Wizard (R)
Whenever an Aura you control attached to a creature you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a number of +1/+1 counters on that creature equal to that Aura's converted mana cost.
U: You may cast enchantment spells this turn as though they had flash.
GW, T: Destroy target enchantment or tapped creature you control and target enchantment or tapped creature you don't control.
2/4
This card suffers from the same problem every card (probably including mine) has this round: they just do too much, there is enough material to actually do two if not three cards. Example: the first ability already has the required synergy with totem armor, and a very good one. The two activated abilities weren't needed, and would make each a good card by themselves. Nice card but way too crowded.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Mechanics? I have to check. Bestow and awaken. This is clearly bestow.
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Toria, the Lyrist gwu
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Druid (r)
Aura spells you cast have flash and split second.
Whenever an enchanted creature dies, draw a card.
3/4
I like finally a simple and elegant card this round, actually the only one. I have nothing to say about this one, I really like it.
Top 3
1st place: Henlock
2nd place: Ryder
3rd place: void_nothing
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 11 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Ryder
Show
Hide
This has changed quite a lot since your first posting. I must say I like this version, though I feel the controller losing life would feel a bit more flavorful over their opponent's gaining life.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
I feel like the second ability should give artifact creatures +1/+1 counters instead, and you could then modify the first ability to track +1/+1 and charge counters.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Seems like a nice totem armor centric commander. Due to the mechanic it's meant to headline, I wish it had a way to bring Auras back from the graveyard, but all in all, seems interesting to play with.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I like how indirect it is about supporting Bestow, and it attempts to cover Aura's biggest problems. Would be neat if it did do something with bestow though, maybe turning a creature with it back into an Aura?
bravelion83
Show
Hide
This is certainly an odd one. Does some powerful and wacky stuff. Only notable concern is the triggered ability, assuming that's the intended wording. It should check the number of times copied that turn, since keeping track of the number of times a permanent has been copied can be a pain. Otherwise, seems appropriately strong (too much so?) with replicate and storm. Turns Gigadrowse into one hell of a factorial nuke.
barbecube
Show
Hide
Seems solid enough. Might need to clarify that the token copy gets attached to something, but other than that no problems here.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
No Entry
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. barbecube
2. void_nothing
3. Ryder

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
bravelion83 - This is intriguingly open-ended. The wording is a little... loosey-goosey on the copying permanents side but I understand why (in order to cover token copies as well as Clones and Cytoshapes). The path may be semi-obvious but this card is splashy and there are many permutations you can do with it, which excites my inner Timmy-Johnny. No Wizard type though?

barbecube - This card is exciting and works great with your custom mechanic. Make my best Aura many times over? Sign me up. I also like the random extra hosing functionality given the fact that the attack trigger can target an Aura anyone controls.

Ryder - "Severe (Nvm I thought this still prevented you from casting spells) Annoying drawback if you don't use the themed mechanic" is a... bold... choice, but I don't think it's a very likeable design. This is also quite a bit more parasitic than the other entries in this round. I preferred the earlier card that let you free-activate Auras' abilities; that was at least an unusual build-around and not a fully linear card.

Ink-Treader - Neat! I like how this works with all the attach mechanics thus far. Reminds me of Sram, Senior Edificer. I think I preferred the bonus ability (the pump, if I recall) from the previous card version but the universality of getting extra land, artifact, and creature abilities as well as "vigilance" makes this card suit using different Auras, Equipment, and Fortifications very well.

kwanyeegor-ii - A card with interesting Mirrodin themed flavor and that does indeed work great with sunburst - maybe a little too well, as once you get going with it it can be impossible to remove and just sit there as a blocker, which I think may be counter to your intentions for the card. The mana ability is a very clever touch, however.

Henlock - A nice pushed commander for Auras in general. I like how this works with Auras on your opponents' creatures as well. Not much to say except it's hard to interact with, a little.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. barbecube
2. bravelion83
3. Ink-Treader
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Only time for a top 3

1 Henlock
2 barbecube
3 voidnothing
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Very reasonable attachment-centric commander, except it definitely should be Bant, not Naya,
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
1. Hexproof and indestructible is too much. 2. The second ability is super strong, being able to make your early drops late game monsters is huge. It could work if it was the only ability. 3. Third ability really wants to give WUBRG. It is already overpowered at 4 mana, you'd need to also give it a higher cost.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
There's a lot happening on that card. Pseudo-modular for Auras, flash for all enchantments and a really weird double kill ability. Everything just screams 'totem armor', but that is not the vibe I appreciate. I prefer more subtle synergies. Mechanically it's ok, flavorwise - I'll pass.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Simple, elegant, maybe slightly too much to give your Auras both flash and split-second? PT is pushed, but not too much. Works well with Bestow. I like it.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Mr. Copy is great, it works both mechanically and flavorfully. My concerns are the complexity of the second ability (feels like the effects should be split), and the first ability wording (gotcha!), it should read: "Whenever a spell or a nonland permanent is copied any number of times, Zarax, Interguild Researcher deals that much damage to each opponent." I would even drop the "nonland" ;)
barbecube
Show
Hide
The copying ability doesn't work! It token would be destroyed immediately upon creation as it's not attached to a creature! Other than that, I don't like engines with hexproof / indestructible. Players should put work into protecting their centerpiece.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. Ink-Treader
3. bravelion83

slimytrout

Just over 12 hours left to submit critiques [mention]barbecube[/mention] and [mention]Henlock[/mention]. (And please submit at least a T3 if you could, as the current standings are... inconvenient.)

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

I can't do crits effectively on mobile, my apologies. Here's a top 3:

1. Ink_Treader
2. void_nothing
3. Henlock
formerly willows

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

just a top 3;