January CCL, Signups/Round 1: This Instant

barbecube
Pronoun: he / him

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
bravelion83: Okay, it's a fight spell with replicate. Nothing much to see here.

Gateways7: I think this card is cool but coalesce seems very dangerous since you can't even hand attack it to turn it off.

netn10: Setting aside other problematic stuff, surveil 5 for 2 mana seems to be too much for me.

Ink-Treader: I'd like to see a render of this to see if it fits on a card (rt on populate and proliferate, too). Still, props for finding a different way to use splice.

Henlock: I don't see many instances where I'd cast this without awaken (mostly cases of multi-mana lands).

void_nothing: This card's text is a mite overwhelming, and I'm not sure if noncreatures get sacrificed at end of turn.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. void_nothing
3. Gateways7
formerly willows

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
netn10 - Transmute as a mechanic is pretty powerful in general, and pairing it with an efficiently costed spell that allows for incremental value throughout the game (surveil is better than scry and surveil 5 is probably almost as good as drawing two cards), so I think this is too powerful.

marioguy3 - This is a fun use of retrace, and I like that it has a limited number of uses considering the fact that you have so many cards in your deck, especially in a Limited format. It's a pretty good card, and one that seems like a lot of fun to play.

Ryder - I don't know that I like the recursive nature of this mechanic, as I think it leads to repetitive gameplay, especially when you put it on a removal spell. As for the card itself, it's very powerful as a sidegrade of Lightning Bolt (obviously not as good, but you get what I mean.)

Icarii - Downside mechanics are never fun, so I don't really like Diffusion. As for the card itself, it's either a worse Precision Bolt or a worse Chandra's Pyrohelix, both of which are… really bad cards (assuming I'm understanding Diffusion correctly.)

Subject16 - Seems a touch powerful, but I'm a fan of retrace and I like the nature of how the card simply exchanges your lands for creatures in your graveyard. The mechanical flavor is on point, and I'm a fan.

Legend - I've already talked about my dislike of Divergence as a mechanic in the DCC thread, but I think the card itself is really well balanced, and having a choice between getting rid of noncreatures and creatures works pretty well. Overall, pretty good job.

marioguy3
Legend
Subject16

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”