January MCC Round 1 - Adventures in the Underworld

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

MCC-202001-2.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the cycle of basic lands by Sam Burley.)

January MCC Round 1

Adventures in the Underworld

If you've read the judge signup thread, you should know that I'm going to tell you a story this month. A story that I've already told you, but from another point of view. It's strange how a simple change of perspective can change a story. I have also said that Jeff Lionheart, from the July and August 2015 MCCs on MTGSalvation would have been involved but it's not his story this time. But we've already met the protagonist back then. So, have you guessed who's the protagonist of this story? Of this MCC month? If you want to know whether you've guessed right, or check for yourself if I've gotten better as a writer after four years and a half, and after writing a 1200 pages long story (I think I have, and a lot, even if I still have definitely a lot of room for further improvement), well, just read the following spoiler. Really, all the answers are just one click away! Well, not all... I have to keep some for future rounds, haven't I?
Intro
Show
Hide
Jeff Lionheart was a leonin warrior from Oreskos. He had something special inside of his soul, but he didn't even know it yet. Jeff quickly made a name for himself among Oreskos ranks. He was well known for being a valorous and selfless fighter. He refused promotion multiple times because he felt his place was among the troops, not among those who decided everything but didn't step foot in battle a single time. One day he was patrolling the surroundings with his boss, whose name was Okite, when at the side of the road they saw a dying human screaming: "For Heliod's sake, help me! Help me!" Okite ordered Jeff:
"Proceed."
"What?"
"Move on. Pretend you didn't hear that voice, you know."
"Why?"
"Please, I can't believe you don't know it. We leonin have no god to share with the humans, and that human is invoking a god's name!"
"So what?"
"So he has nothing to share with us. He's not one of us."
"So you want to leave him here to die?"
"Yes. And anyway, you're worrying too much about him. It's not like his soul will stop existing as he dies. There is an Underworld, you know?"
"Of course I know!"
"So let him go there. He only deserves it if he's invoking one of those so-called gods."
"I don't care about such details! He's suffering and I'm going to help him!"
His boss replied, not without a bit of sarcasm:
"Lionheart! You're not going to do that! This is an order! If you disobey, I'll fight you as our enemy and King Brimaz will banish you from our land!"
"Do you think I care?"
No, Jeff didn't care. He ran to the dying human and gave him a healing potion:
"Here! This will heal you! Use it and then wait for me over there, behind those rocks!"
Okite attacked Jeff. The time for words was over, and that for action had come. After a long and exhausting battle, Jeff finally dealt the fatal strike to Okite.
"I'm sorry, boss. I'm sorry. I can't believe what I've just done! I didn't want to do it! What have I done?!? WHAT HAVE I DOOOOONE!!!"
The man, whoever he was, had seen it all from behind the rocks Jeff indicated him. Now he was looking at a scene that felt very strange to him. There were two leonin in a fight's aftermath. One, the boss, was losing a flood of blood from his wounds, clearly on the point of dying. He was laying down in a pool of his own blood, looking upwards with an empty gaze. The other, the soldier, was clearly repenting what he had just done, and he was screaming while his body was disappearing, fading away. The roads of the two leonin were obviously going to separate right now, and it looked like the same one who told the other not to worry as there was an Underworld for the man's soul was heading there himself, while the man was healed, and the other leonin had completely disappeared from view by then. The man thought:
"But he had said he would have come to me! Where has he gone? Is it safe for me to come out of my cover?"
But after a few moments, two things happened at the same time. First, the leonin who had just disappeared suddenly reappeared, looking around himself. He saw him still hidden behind the rocks, and went to talk to him. Second, the other leonin, the boss, Okite, had just definitely closed his eyes on the mainland of Theros, and exhaled his last breath on that land.
But it wasn't over. Okite, as he had just demonstrated, knew that an Underworld existed, and that it was exactly there that he was headed.
"But how will I get there?"
He was on an unknown land, covered in mist. He could hear the flowing waters of what was probably some kind of river nearby, but it wasn't any river he knew, somehow he knew that. He was also feeling a strange and very intense drive to walk there and reach those waters. The thick fog prevented him from seeing the river, but he knew he was there, and there was something calling him there, but without any spoken word. He thought:
"Is this the Underworld? Am I already there? Have my adventures in the Underworld already started? I don't understand anything anymore. I don't understand what's this place, I don't understand why I instinctively know that this water noise is a river, I don't understand why I'm not perceiving anything and anyone else around me... Shouldn't there be plenty of people here? All those who have died since the beginning of time? Where are them? Where am I?"
He gave in to his drive, and started walking towards the river.

Main Challenge - Design a common card that has exactly one of the four named mechanics from Theros: Beyond Death (Constellation, devotion, escape, Sagas).

Subchallenge 1 - Your card contains the word "enchantment(s)" in its rules text.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card has a monocolored color identity.
Clarifications
Show
Hide

Main Challenge

• Don't worry, this is not a prosecution of the "all commons" theme we've had last month. But this month, each round a different rarity will be required as a hard Main Challenge requirement. As for this round requiring once again a common card, it's just that the lowest rarity in Magic happens to be that.

• Your card has to belong at the required rarity. You can't just take Heliod, God of the Sun, put in a common rarity instead of mythic and submit it as is. Or better, you technically can, but expect huge deductions in several areas of the rubric if you do. Trust me, it's not a good idea.

• Your card must have exactly one or the four mechanics from THB: it has to have one (no cards without any of the four mechanics), and it can't have more than one (no mix-and-match cards).

• Your choices will NOT be tracked this month, so don't worry about them influencing future rounds. They won't. You will be able to make all four rounds with the same mechanic if you want.

• For Sagas, having the Saga mechanic means that your card is a Saga. It can't simply reference Sagas, it has to be a Saga itself.

Subchallenge 1

• This subchallenge only looks at rules text, NOT at the type line and NOT at the flavor text.

Subchallenge 2

• "Color identity" means that mana symbols in the rules text are also checked in addition to those in the card's mana cost. All the symbols must be monocolored and of the same color, both those in the mana cost AND in the rules text.

If you have any other questions that are not covered here, feel free to ask in the discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Monday, January 6th 2020, 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Friday, January 10th 2020, 23:59 EDT

Happy new year to everyone!

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
Ryder
Sojourner Dusk

PLAYERS

Everyone can enter this round.
Just reply to this thread posting a card that meets the Main Challenge and any number (that includes zero) of Subchallenges. Future rounds will only be open to those who advance. Come join us!

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link here and in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

BRACKETS

Top 4 from each bracket advance.

Judge: Ryder

barbecube
Ink-Treader
Kypster
Legend
slimytrout
void_nothing

Judge: bravelion83
Blydden
Jimmy Groove
netn10
Raptorchan
StonerOfKruphix
Subject16

Judge: Sojourner Dusk
ForestsCarl
Freyleyes
Gateways7
Henlock
Icarii
marioguy3
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Kypster

Post by Kypster » 4 years ago

Banish the Impure 1W
Instant {C}
Target player sacrifices an artifact or enchantment if their devotion to black and red is greater than three. (Each B and R in the mana costs of permanents target player controls counts toward their devotion to black and red.)
Last edited by Kypster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Talespinner Siren 1B
Creature — Siren (C)
Flying
Escape—3B, Exile four other cards from your graveyard. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its escape cost.)
When Talespinner Siren escapes, you may return target enchantment card from your graveyard to your hand.
1/2
formerly willows

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Echoing Dryad 2G
Enchantment Creature — Nymph Dryad (C)
Constellation — Whenever Echoing Dryad or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, untap target permanent you control.
Punished for lecturing a god, now she can only reply.
2/3

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Journey into Nyx W
Enchantment - Saga (Common)
I - Create a 1/1 white Spirit enchantment creature token with lifelink.
II - You gain 1 life for each enchantment you control.

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Prophet's Curse 3U
Enchantment - Saga (common)
I, II - Reveal at the top three cards of your library. You may put them back in any order. Draw a card.
"She knew what was coming, but no matter how hard she tried to warn the world, they would not listen."
—The Callapheia

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 4 years ago

Flames of the Acolyte 1r
Sorcery (C)
Flames of the Acolyte deals 3 damage to target creature. If your devotion to red is five or more, it deals 5 damage to that creature instead.
The flames of Purphoros spring to the defense of his priests.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Stealthy Goblin
Creature (Common)
Haste
Stealthy Goblin cannot block.
Escape—, Exile two other cards from your graveyard. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its escape cost.)
3/2
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 4 years ago

The Weight of Heliod W
Enchantment - Aura {C}
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block unless it's power is greater then your devotion to white. (Each W in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to white.)
You will bow down before a god.

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Crossing to the Underworld 2B
Enchantment - Saga (C)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I - Create a 1/1 white Human creature token.
II - Create a Gold token.
III - Each player sacrifices a creature.

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 4 years ago

Drifting Naiad 1U
Enchantment Creature — Nymph (C)
Flying
Constellation — Whenever Drifting Naiad or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1. (Look at the top card of your library. You may put that card on the bottom of your library.)
Each new star she sees makes her feel a little less lost.
1/2

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Oracle of Keranos 2R
Creature — Human Shaman (C)
Haste
Constellation — Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, untap Oracle of Keranos.
T: Oracle of Keranos deals 1 damage to each opponent.
"There is no escaping the wrath of Keranos."
1/3
Last edited by Subject16 4 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Burdensome Sky B
Enchantment — Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Constellation — Whenever Burdensome Sky or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
To hold the heavens from the earth is a titanic curse.

ForestsCarl

Post by ForestsCarl » 4 years ago

Wayfinding Satyr 1G
Enchantment Creature - Saga Satyr (C)
I, II - Put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard.
III - Return target land card and target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
1/1

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Nyxborn Grazer GG
Enchantment Creature - Antelope (C)
Constellation - Whenever Nyxborn Grazer or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 2 life.
The Nyxborn live forever in our dreams.
2/2
Last edited by Legend 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Iroan Trainees 2W
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
Constellation - Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under you control, Iroan Trainees gains your choice of flying, first strike, or vigilance until end of turn.
4W: Iroan Trainees gets +3/+4 until end of turn. Activate this ability only if you control a legendary enchantment.
One seeks to master the spear, another learns the art of shieldcraft, and the third rides the steeds of the sky.
3/1
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 4 years ago

Setessan Tracker 1g
Creature - Human Scout (C)
Constellation — Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a land card from you hand onto the battlefield.
"Foot, thought, intention... Everything leaves a trace."
2/2

Blydden
Philosophical Crusader

Post by Blydden » 4 years ago

Sigiled Eagle 2U
Creature — Bird (C)
Flying
Constellation — Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1.
The stormcallers of Keranos were the first to tame eagles, so the cries of these birds call the storms of their god as well.
2/2
Last edited by Blydden 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Expunger of Sins w
Creature - Human Cleric (c)
Constellation- Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, you may exile target card from a graveyard.
Speak your sins once, and never mention them again.
1/1

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

Judging complete.
Gateways7
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: T's not much for sharing information. You had S's attention at "Draw a card."
(3/3) Elegance: About as straightforward as it gets.

Development
(3/3) Viability: The ability is very Blue, and the effect is fine at Common. That said...
(1/3) Balance: This is underpowered. With the reveal, it gives your opponents a great deal of information, and at four mana I'd play Foresee over this every time. This would be better at UU than 3U. Even in Limited, the cons struggle to outweigh the card draw.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness: It's a worse repeated Ponder-effect, without the shuffle option. Utilizing it with a Saga is a interesting twist.
(2/3) Flavor: Ironically, since you show everyone your top three cards twice, they can actually plan ahead because they know what's coming.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality: Commons have reminder text for non-evergreen abilities in expansions. Your actual submission lacks reminder text, while the render has inaccurate reminder text. "Reveal at the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order." The proper rules text can be adapted straight from Ponder.
(2/2) *Main Challenge: Meets the parameters.
(1/2) Subchallenges: No "enchantment" in rules text. Monoblue identity.

Total: 17/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal: I don't see this appealing to anyone outright, but it's not Chimney Imp.
(2.5/3) Elegance: Abilities are clear, though three on a Common is a bit much.

Development
(3/3) Viability: I'd have no trouble accepting this as a Red Common.
(2/3) Balance: This isn't going to have much appeal outside of Limited, and it would probably struggle to rank higher than a 14th pick in Draft.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness: There's only been one other RR Common creature printed. This is fairly reminiscent of Hellspark Elemental, though it lacks the most useful quality: trample.
(1/3) Flavor: How is it "stealthy"? It can be blocked. There's no flavor text, so, if there's supposed to be a joke here, it falls flatter than this poor bastard.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality: "Stealthy Goblin can't block."
(1/2) Subchallenges: No "enchantment" in rules text. Monored identity.

Total: 15.5/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: This is very much in J's wheelhouse, and T has been known to play White aggro.
(3/3) Elegance: No issues comprehending the card.

Development
(3/3) Viability: This is the very model of a Modern White Common.
(2/3) Balance: While Pacifism effects are useful, this one needs to be taken into greater consideration when building, as you need more permanents with W in their casting cost to increase its efficacy. This is more likely to be useful in Draft than Sealed, and could be part of a Constructed strategy.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness: A Pacifism/Cowed by Wisdom variant that can grow as your board position improves. I like the way devotion is employed here.
(3/3) Flavor: I think this makes a better Heliod's Punishment than the card WotC just printed with that name, and the oppressive ego comes across in the flavor text.

Polish
(2/3) Quality: "Enchanted creature can't attack or block as long as unless its power is less than or equal to your devotion to white". The rewording is to line up with static checks (like with Theros Gods).
(1/2) Subchallenges: No "enchantment" in rules text. Monowhite identity.

Total: 20.5/25
Icarii
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal: Due to its slow speed, J might work it with some proliferation, but it lacks the oomph for S.
(3/3) Elegance: Anyone familiar with crossing the River Styx will understand this card. Those unfamiliar need to sue their grade school for ignoring Greek classics.

Development
(3/3) Viability: It'll cause controversy, but you could have made a black Human token. Effects are in line at Common for Black.
(1.5/3) Balance: Having to wait two turns after this comes down to trigger Innocent Blood is a grave disservice. This could have cost B and not been pushed for a Common, and it would force your opponents to play around it. Acceptable for Limited, but it won't be in consideration for constructed formats.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness: At first glance, this has the feel of a card someone took a stapler to. However, in telling a story through the Saga, it works.
(2.5/3) Flavor: It all comes together well, except for the initial trigger.
Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(2/3) Quality: There should be reminder text explaining what a Gold token is.
(1/2) Subchallenges: No "enchantment" in rules text. Monoblack identity.

Total: 18.5/25
ForestsCarl
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: This would not be for T.
(1/3) Elegance: Picturing the visual templating for this card gives me a migraine. How is a Common creature supposed to represent the embodiment of a Saga? What is the story here supposed to represent? I've beat people over their heads with stories in the past, but this might be a bit too literal.

Development
(1/3) Viability: This is not a Common, just due to sheer complexity. All the effects are very Green.
(2/3) Balance: For Enchantress / Constellation builds, I can see this wanting to be used to some degree, though its fragilty as a creature may be off-putting. It certainly won't break any formats.

Creativity
(0/3) Uniqueness: It's different, but not in a good way. Also, The Binding of the Titans was previewed before 2019 ended, and this cribs both its triggers from that card with minimal changes.
(0/3) Flavor: As a Saga, the name should evoke a story. It does not. The abilities make me think of dredge and other GY strats, but that doesn't fit with Wayfinding, which evokes searching.

Polish
(2/3) Quality: There should be reminder text explaining how Sagas work.
(2/2) *Main Challenge: Meets the parameters. Technically.
(1/2) Subchallenges: No "enchantment" in rules text. Monogreen identity.

Total: 11/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: Not really a cuppa for S.
(3/3) Elegance: No difficulty discerning what the card does.

Development
(3/3) Viability: Nothing pushes this to question its status as a White Common.
(2/3) Balance: While it won't break formats, this is the type of solid Limited fodder I tend to appreciate, as it isn't just "generic vanilla creature" with a paragraph of flavor text.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness: We've seen this type of card before, where it's a one drop that has a set-specific keyword or interacts with a set theme. This does both. Nothing groundbreaking, but the trigger is new.
(2.5/3) Flavor: To expunge ones sins involves payment of some sort. At least, that's what the people yelling at me from the TV on Sunday mornings want me to believe.

Polish
(3/3) Quality: No issues found.
(2/2) Subchallenges: "Enchantment" in rules text. Monowhite identity.

Total: 20.5/25
Scores (italicized advance)
Gateways7: 17
marioguy3: 15.5
Freyleyes: 20.5
Icarii: 18.5
ForestsCarl: 11
Henlock: 20.5
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

The round is officially closed.

BRACKETS

Top 4 from each bracket advance.

Judge: Ryder

barbecube
Ink-Treader
Kypster
Legend
slimytrout
void_nothing

Judge: bravelion83
Blydden
Jimmy Groove
netn10
Raptorchan
StonerOfKruphix
Subject16

Judge: Sojourner Dusk
ForestsCarl
Freyleyes
Gateways7
Henlock
Icarii
marioguy3

Judgments complete. Very close scores, except for the top 1, all other cards are within half a point. Also, two cards perfectly equal except for one point of power and one generic mana in the mana cost.
Blydden
Show
Hide
Blydden wrote:
4 years ago
Sigiled Eagle 2U
Creature — Bird (C)
Flying
Constellation — Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1.
The stormcallers of Keranos were the first to tame eagles, so the cries of these birds call the storms of their god as well.
2/2
How do you judge two cards that are identical, except for a one-mana difference corresponding to a single point of power more or less? Checking the time of the post, I suppose this is NOT the original, even if I'm more than convinced, knowing you, that you have not willingly copied it, it's just a case of parallel design. There is no way the Bly I've come to know would do this. Except for a couple lines, this judgment is a copy/paste of StonerOfKruphix.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes flyers, but I can't see him fully excited by this. He wants something bigger! Johnny and Spike both like scry for different reasons: digging for pieces the former and improving card quality the latter.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Definitely blue and definitely common.
Balance 2/3 - Definitely playable in limited. I don't think an added conditional scry 1 is enough to make Wind Drake see constructed play in any competitive formats. Casual players will have no problems with this. All the same is true for multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - Nothing really new here.
Flavor 3/3 - No problems with the name, flavor text, or card concept.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 21/25
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
4 years ago
Flames of the Acolyte 1r
Sorcery (C)
Flames of the Acolyte deals 3 damage to target creature. If your devotion to red is five or more, it deals 5 damage to that creature instead.
The flames of Purphoros spring to the defense of his priests.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Removal is a typical thing that Timmy loves to play but hates when played against him. Spike sees good burn, but she really wishes this could hit players. I don't see much for Johnny here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Definitely red. I'd say this might be borderline uncommon, but I could also see it at common. Not hitting players is a big part of that.
Balance 3/3 - Very high pick in limited in my opinion, and always playable if you're in red. I can definitely imagine this seeing some constructed play, especially if things like Lightning Strike are not available in the Standard format. I see no problems in casual of multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - No existing card say "N or more" about devotion. All existing cards check if your devotion is N "or less". This is unexpectedly new, but the rest of card is not.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Monocolored color identity but no "enchantment" in rules text.
TOTAL 22.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Journey into Nyx W
Enchantment - Saga (Common)
I - Create a 1/1 white Spirit enchantment creature token with lifelink.
II - You gain 1 life for each enchantment you control.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy like tokens and life gain. Johnny could use the token in unintended ways, and also has the challenge to maximize the life gained with the second chapter. Spike likes the token, but life gain is not really something that attracts her.
Elegance 2.5/3 - As a player who knows the lore, I'm left wondering: "What does that second ability represent of JOU?" and it makes me a little perplex. Paradoxically, players who know less or nothing at all about the lore of original Theros will have no problems with this card as is instead.
Development
Viability 3/3 - White effects and using less chapter for lower rarity Sagas. Makes sense. Kinda like the planeswalkers in WAR having no plus ability and a single minus ability. Good.
Balance 2/3 - Very hard to judge here. A 1/1 lifelink is worth W without a doubt, bet there is still room for a little upside (Sacred Cat, Mistmeadow Skulk, Healer's Hawk, Beloved Princess, and more). Here the upside is having a second chapter ability attached, and as you (theoretically) do it only once, it's probably minor enough to be fine. It's worth of notice that the second chapter ability will trigger at the beginning of your pre-combat main phase. You won't sacrifice this until the next time SBAs are checked, which is right after chapter II has finished resolving, so it will count itself. SBAs aren't checked in the milled of an ability resolving. Playability: yes in limited if you're in the right color and have room, no in competitive constructed, maybe in casual, probably not in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - We've seen Sagas with four chapter in THB previews (not spoilers! And neither leak! All different words. The official ones are previews! Don't get them wrong!) but not with only two, and all those from Dominaria has three chapters. A Saga with two chapters is new. The effects are not.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Using a set name as the card's name works here if this is meant to represent Elspeth's... well, journey into Nyx to first kill Xenagos and then be killed by Heliod right in front of Ajani (you have no idea how happy I am he's not in THB so far, I was really afraid of them making the exchange between Elspeth and him). Sagas have no flavor text. Card concept: the first ability is clearly Elspeth under token form. But the second? That she just gained life travelling through Nyx. If anything, she lost her life there. I don't get what chapter II is meant to represent. That's the only problem with the flavor of this card though.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - Missing reminder text for Sagas. (-0.5)
TOTAL 21.5/25
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Raptorchan wrote:
4 years ago
Setessan Tracker 1g
Creature - Human Scout (C)
Constellation — Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a land card from you hand onto the battlefield.
"Foot, thought, intention... Everything leaves a trace."
2/2
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes ramp, as does Spike when fairly costed, like here (a bear is already good enough in limited, added ramp is icing on the cake). Johnny will carefully choose the lands to play with this. Another detail Spike likes is that the land enters untapped, so she can immediately use it.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - No problems with the color pie. Comprehension complexity is very low, and if that were the only factor this would be a common without any bout, but what makes me lean maybe more towards uncommon is the effect being repeatable.
Balance 3/3 - Playable for sure in limited, a bear with upside will always see play there. I could see it in ramp constructed decks too, or at worst I can see those decks try out this card. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - "...from you hand..." is an obvious typo. (-0.5)
TOTAL 21.5/25
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
StonerOfKruphix wrote:
4 years ago
Drifting Naiad 1U
Enchantment Creature — Nymph (C)
Flying
Constellation — Whenever Drifting Naiad or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1. (Look at the top card of your library. You may put that card on the bottom of your library.)
Each new star she sees makes her feel a little less lost.
1/2
How do you judge two cards that are identical, except for a one-mana difference corresponding to a single point of power more or less? Checking the time of the post, I suppose this is the original, even if I'm convinced the other player has not willingly copied it, it's just a case of parallel design. Except for a couple lines, this judgment is mostly a copy/paste of Blydden's.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes flyers, but I can't see him fully excited by this. He wants something bigger! Johnny and Spike both like scry for different reasons: digging for pieces the former and improving card quality the latter.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Definitely blue and definitely common.
Balance 2/3 - Definitely playable in limited. I don't think an added conditional scry 1 is enough to make Storm Crow see constructed play in any competitive formats. Casual players will have no problems with this. All the same is true for multiplayer.
Creativity
Flavor 3/3 - No problems with the name, flavor text, or card concept. I suppose "each new star" represent each new card you see with the scry ability.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good. Keeping full points here because this is the earlier design. See Blydden's judgment for more.
TOTAL 21/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Oracle of Keranos 2R
Creature — Human Shaman (C)
Haste
Constellation — Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, untap Oracle of Keranos.
T: Oracle of Keranos deals 1 damage to each opponent.
"There is no escaping the wrath of Keranos."
1/3
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes a repeatable pinger. Spike also likes that, and also likes haste. This can become a part of an infinite damage combo for Johnny.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Untap is not really a red ability, but red can definitely have when it's required by the card's functionality, especially when it steals temporarily opposing creatures (Act of Treason) or in cases like this as a pinger. If Brimstone Trebuchet is common, this can be too.
Balance 2.5/3 - Definitely playable in limited. I could see some low-level constructed decks try this (and probably fail, but it's not a given). No problems in casual. Saying "each opponent" is obviously relevant in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - It immediately reminded me of Brimstone Trebuchet from ELD, the very last set that's out at the time of this writing. The play pattern is identical, only the keywords are not, but that's definitely too little to get a high score here.
Flavor 2.5/3 - The flavor text feels a little too generic and bland to me. Other than that, no problems with the name or card concept.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 21.5/25
Results
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove: 22.5
netn10: 21.5
Raptorchan: 21.5
Subject16: 21.5

Blydden: 21
StonerOfKruphix: 21
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Done
barbecube
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal: Too small for Timmy, Johnny has more effective ways to bring creatures back from graveyard, Spike can appreciate a flyer that comes back with value, at least in Limited.
(3/3) Elegance: That is pretty straightforward. A flyer that can Escape and has an additional benefit for it. All good.

Development
(1/3) Viability: The only existing Black card that returns enchantments from graveyard is Odunos River Trawler and it returns enchantment creatures. Black has no business dealing with noncreature enchantments. This is a serious violation, but since the card is clearly meant for an enchantment-themed set, I'm deducting only 2 points instead of full 3. Common is right for the effect.
(2.5/3) Balance: A fine Limited card. Maybe just a tiny bit too strong for a flyer for 2 that may return and bring something else back later.

Creativity
(0.5/3) Uniqueness: Nothing is new here except for the exact card.
(2/3) Flavor: Name is fine, overall feels okay, but flavor text shouldn't be omitted especially on commons when there's room for it. The Siren could use a proper one-liner.

Polish
(3/3) Quality: All good.
(2/2) *Main Challenge: Met.
(2/2) Subchallenges: Both met.

Total: 17/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal: I believe everyone can find a cool aspect of the card for themselves and love it. Timmy would love to finally take down a big creature with it, Johnny senses tell me it could be great if one could Aura Finesse it repetitively... Spike sees it as an alternative to Dead Weight which might be good if enough enchantment support is provided.
(2.5/3) Elegance: Fine and understandable. -1/-1 counters may get slightly cumbersome to manage, though.

Development
(3/3) Viability: Definitely Black, great fit for a Theros-like environment, definitely Common.
(3/3) Balance: As already mentioned, a perfectly balanced 1-cmc removal option.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness: Similar in function to Torture, but much different at the same time. Quite unique, for a common.
(3/3) Flavor: Just marvelous. The card is a whole. Rings every bell. Perfect.

Polish

Total: 23.5/25
Kypster
Show
Hide
Design
(0.5/3) Appeal: Spike could play this in a sideboard against a very specific deck.
(2/3) Elegance: Checking your opponent's devotion to multiple colors isn't ideal.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability: White can destroy artifacts and enchantments at common. Hate cards shouldn't be common, though. It greatly affects their Limited viability.
(0.5/3) Balance: A bad Disenchant. It works only if the opponent has just the thing you want to target, which makes it pretty terrible in an enchantment-based environment, which a Limited with Devotion is. Not even mentioning the devotion requirement. Celestial Purge this is not. Commons must be limited playable. This wouldn't be. A shame.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness: An edict for enchantments and artifacts? Sure! Checking opponent's devotion? Alright!
(1/3) Flavor: By the name, expected the card to deal with creatures, not artifacts or enchantments. Also, no flavor text on a common with tons of space for it, a gross violation! At least the connection to Red/Black is intuitive.

Polish
(2/3) Quality: The reminder text should be (Each B and R in the mana costs of permanents a player controls counts toward that player's devotion to black and red.) It should be "if that player's devotion", not "if their devotion".
(2/2) *Main Challenge: Met
(2/2) Subchallenges: Both met

Total: 14.5/25
Legend
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: Spike likes a pushed creature, Johnny sees an engine for a lifegain deck.
(3/3) Elegance: Perfectly clear, makes sense.

Development
(3/3) Viability: Green has lifegain on creatures, no problems here.
(1/3) Balance: The Grazer would be a Limited powerhouse. In a Theros-like environment, it could easily gain 10 life. Should definitely cost 1 more mana. Compare to Grazing Gladehart, a card that is weaker in itself, as it doesn't trigger on the same turn you play it. Healer of the Pride is very comparable, an uncommon at 4cmc.

Creativity
(0.5/3) Uniqueness: Nothing new here.
(2/3) Flavor: The name and flavor text are both decent, but my Vorthos isn't particularly impressed.

Polish

Total: 18.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: Johnny smells an infinite combo with this... Yes! Nephalia Smuggler, Quirion Sentinel Training Grounds, Echoing Dryad, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Yarok, the Desecrated. A perfect 6-card combo 100% on curve. Spike likes the effect as a pseudo-vigilance.
(3/3) Elegance: Pretty straightforward.

Development
(2/3) Viability: Green can untap creatures and lands just fine, but "any permanent" is a bend that shouldn't be done at common. The only modern card that does it is Cacophodon, an uncommon. Echoing Dryad feels like an uncommon.
(2/3) Balance: Feels pushed for a common. Depending on other cards, this may 'just' be a strong combat flow disruptor - you may attack with your big threat and get it back up for blocking. Or it can be a piece of a powerful limited mini-combo.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness: 'Untap anything' definitely is unusual for Green.
(1.5/3) Flavor: Doesn't make as much sense as Cacophodon, its roar alerts everything around it. What does the Dryad do? She responds? As in: Talks back? How does it alert anyone? Flavor text could be longer.

Polish

Total: 19.5/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal: Timmy wants to swing with all abilities and the pump effect active, too simple for Johnny, Spike likes the flexibility and efficiency.
(1.5/3) Elegance: Quite clogged for a common. The pump effect's numbers feel random.

Development
(2/3) Viability: The repetitive choice ability belongs at uncommon.
(2.5/3) Balance: It would be ok with just the first ability. The second ability puts it slightly over the healthy power level,

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness: The first effect is similar to the one found on Gideon Blackblade, checking for legendary enchantment is cool.
(2/3) Flavor: It makes sense at the second glance. They train under the guidance of the stars and the appearance of a mythic constellation may be the most inspiring tutor. It doesn't resonate immediately though and it seems like only the last part of the flavor text refers to what the whole card is about.

Polish

Total: 19/25
Results
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader: 23.5
slimytrout: 19.5
void_nothing: 19
Legend: 18.5